Vishnu Sahasranama - Thousand Ways To The Transcendental

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Vishnu Sahasranama - Thousand Ways To The Transcendental

Postby murugans61 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Hari OM and Pranams

Let us learn Sri Vishnu Sahasranama together and do mananam on the meaning of each name of Vishnu, with the blessings of Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji.

Based on the feedback received from the some discussion forum members, we will follow the following process.

1) On a daily basis, we post one name of Vishnu and its explanation from the Pujya Gurudev's book on Vishnu Sahasranama ( Thousand ways to the transcendental). While the book gives detailed explanation, we can summarize the meaning in one or few sentences in line with the original explanation. For the next 1000 days ( 2.73 years), on a daily basis we will do this as a yagna. (Thank you for the volunteers and everyone is welcome to participate in this yagna).

2) All the viewers are requested to read and post their reflections and comments. There can be discussions on the vedantic concepts behind every nama of Vishnu. If there are any questions, they can be posted in the Questions of the week forum for further discussions.

3) If there are no posts on reflections / discussions, we will simply continue with the posting of names and meanings on a daily basis so that everyone can read and understand them. This will help all of us to learn the meanings of the nama and chant / reflect on them effectively.

pranams
murugan
murugans61

Re: Vishnu Sahasranama - Thousand Ways To The Transcendental

Postby murugans61 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Hari OM

Stanza 1

Om visvam vishnur-vashatkaaro
bhoota-bhavya-bhavat-prabhuh
bhoota-krit bhoota-bhrit bhavavo
bhootaatmaa bhoota-bhaavanah.

1) VISVAM - He whose manifestation is the whole universe of forms: the Viraat- Purusha. The whole cosmos of gross forms is His own expression, and therefore, He is called as Viraatpurusha.

pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Hari Om. Prostrations to the Lord (which means Prostrations to all of you)

In E Vedanta course we studied that "Waker (Consciousness identified with Gross Body experiencing waking world of objects) is called Vishva". Just now we read that 'Vishvam' is the name of the Lord and He is that manifested waking world. So as soon as we open our eyes in the morning; instead of becoming "a waker"(identifying with gross body) let us remember that Lord is this manifested universe and our gross body belongs to the Lord. Let this body get used for the Lord's work all day.

The word 'Vishvam' reminds me of Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji's composition 'Vishvam Gururmama sakalam' (this whole world is my Guru). Let us look at this whole creation as our Guru, the Lord. Let every experience in this creation teach us. Instead of judging, blaming, complaining, let us love, respect and keep learning from this Vishvam Guru all the time.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 am

Hari OM

2.VISHNUH – That which pervades everywhere is Vishnu. He is the one who pervades all and nothing ever pervades Him.

“Eesaavaasyam Idam Sarvam” – All this is indwelt, pervaded by the Lord.

He is not limited by space ( Desa), time ( Kaala), or substance ( Vastu).

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Hari OM

3. VASHATKAARAH - He who is invoked, and for propitiating whom the oblations are poured in Vedic ritualism, using mantras ending with vashat.
He who is the form of yajna.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Hari OM

4.BHOOTA-BHAVYA-BHAVAT-PRABHUH - He who is the Lord ( Prabhu) of the Past ( Bhoota), the Future ( Bhavya) and Present ( Bhavat). He is the One who is not conditioned by time.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Hari OM

5. Bhoota - Krit - The creator (Krit) of all Creatures ( Bhoota).

pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Murugan ji, I am enjoying Lord's names a lot !!! :) Thanks for posting...
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Hari OM

6. BHOOTA-BHRIT - One who nurtures and nourishes all beings ( living creatures), who are infact nothing other than Himself.

pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Hari Om!

Om sree gurubhyo namah!

भावः = Bhavah = existence

The Lord as material cause exists in the form of the world.

As pure existence.

IS.

Not bound by time or any other dependancy, not therefore subject to any changes.
meera

Postby murugans61 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Hari OM

7. BHAAVAH - One who " becomes" Himself into the movable and the immovable beings and things in the world.

Welcome Meeraji. As you rightly mentioned, He is the Pure Existence, the material cause, the IS.

pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

My Reflections on name "BHAAVAH: One who " becomes" Himself into the movable and the immovable beings and things in the world" -

One can 'become' only THAT which one is NOT.

So we can say, that which is NOT movable and immovable beings and things in the world THAT is our dear Shri Lord. He is Nirgun that is why He "becomes" Sagun.

World is Jagat (Ja-jayate(takes birth), Ga- Gacchati(goes or dies), Ta - Tishthati Iva(appears to stay in between birth and death)).

Lord becomes all the things and beings that take birth, appear to stay and then die away. So we can say "I am breathing Lord, I am eating Lord, I am walking on Lord, I am touching Lord, I am thinking Lord, my nose is Lord, my mouth is Lord, my legs are Lord, my body is Lord, my mind is Lord...and so on" Just like when two clouds clash with each other, lightening happens; when Lord as "experiencer" touches Lord as "experienced object" experience happens. When Lord as "knower I" beholds a notion of Lord as "This object" knowledge happens. Since experience and knowledge keep changing it is part of world and Lord has "become" that. Finding Lord through this show of "appearances" of Him is possible only by shifting our focus from all appearances (world). Since "Finding" is also "becoming" I think when we stop all our "trying to find" and "just be", then Lord will find us in Him.
Padmaja

Postby meera » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:00 am

Hari Om....!!

This is a wonderful take on Bhaavah, that Bhagawan BECOMES that which He is NOT.... this explains atman and anatman, sat and asat...

Wave is water, all waves are water.

All creation is Brahman.

Thanks Padmaja....!

Hari Om
meera

Postby Padmaja » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:06 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Pujya Guruji !!! :D He taught that.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am

Hari OM

Thank you Meeraji and Padmajaji for the valuable inputs on Bhaavah.

8. BHOOTAATMAA - He is the Aatman of all the beings. The very BE in all the living beings

Just as the same universal space plays in all rooms as the room space, or in all pots as the pot space, so the Infinite Life playing through any giving vehicle is called the Aatman of the vehicle.

The One enchanting Truth that revels in every form manifesting in plurality.

pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:31 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

My reflection on 8. BHOOTAATMAA - He is the Aatman of all the beings. The very BE in all the living beings:

So Lord is the "Nirgun Candy" in "all these Sagun Wrappers" called Jagat. We eat candy and throw away the wrapper. Before we hastily throw away wrapper(Jagat) we should examine it.

These days they have peppermint candy that looks like a plastic film. There are birthday cakes where the photo of birthday boy is stuck on top but that photo is part of the cake. We saw that Lord Himself has 'become' all these movable, immovable beings and things(Jagat). So wrapper(jagat) is candy(Nirgun). There is nothing in this world that is worthy of throwing away. All is holy, auspicious, complete, full, whole and essentially One. That One is Lord.

Everybody refers to themselves as "I". Everybody works for "I". Everybody unconditionally loves "I". Nobody calls themselves "you, he, she, it etc." "You, he, she, it" is ignorance. "I" is the Truth. The Only Truth. Unknowingly we know this underlying unity in seeming plurality. We know there is only One "I". That "I" is the Lord, the BE in all living beings.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Hari OM

9) BHOOTA - BHAAVANAH - One who creates and multiplies the creatures; meaning the One, who is the cause for the birth and who is responsible for the growth of all living creatures.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Hari OM

Stanza 2

pootaatmaa paramaatmaa cha muktaanaam paramaa gatih
avyayah purushah saakshee kshetrajno akshara eva cha

10) POOTA - ATMAA - One with an extremely Pure Essence. One who is not affected the least by the impurities of Maayaa.

The Self is beyond all vasanas and therefore, He cannot be affected by any one of the manifestations of Maya such as thoughts of the intellect, emotions of the mind or the perceptions of the body.

pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Hari Om!

One more interpretation of Pootatma...

Untouched by variety. Like clay is to pots. If there are million pots, the one essence of these million pots is the clay-tattva. Pots may be big, small, round, fat, tall, squat... but none of these qualities are the quality of clay. The clay itself is quality less nor does it have pot-ness. Potness also belongs to pot.

But without clay-ness there is no pot.

But clay has no shape or potness.It is always clay, poota, pure essence.
meera

Postby meera » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Hari Om!

11. परमात्मा = Paramaatma

Free from limitations.

If we take the same pot example, it has a shape, a size. Thus limited spatially
It can break and then there is no pot -- Limited by time

By calling it pot, it is not lemon or car or slipper. Therefore it is limited by definition and is not any other thing. It is only and merely pot. Limited by definition.

Paramatma is unlimitable (new word) by time or spatially or by definition. Parama means beyond limits or unbounded. Without any boundaries or restrictions of any kind.

It is everything and everything is finally this alone... parama...
meera

Next

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas