Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby vanajaravinair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Hari Om

Guru Purnima wishes to all devotees. On the occasion of Gurupurnima, I wish to share a few lines written by Swami Mitranandaji in Chinmaya Udghosh:

"If we take Gurudev Chinmayananda's life as an example, he achieved fulfillment in the goal of life and also in the way of life. He successfully scaled the pinnacles of Truth. And to help others on the Path, he came up with so many creative programs that the work he initiated six decades ago is still continuing without losing momentum. His compassion embraced the whole of humanity. With utmost zeal, he brought the scriptures at the door...steps of the common man, whether he was in the East or the West.The age barrier could not prevent him from connecting to audiences, irrespective of whether they were little kids, rebellious teenagers, disinterested athists or complacent elders!"

Pranams to Guruparampara.
Vanaja
vanajaravinair

Postby Padmaja » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Humble Salutations at the lotus feet of our Guru.
Padmaja

Postby meera » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 am

Hari Om!!!!

Thank you all so very very much...what can be a greater feeling than to offer such prostrations together....to the One Guru...thank you very much for celebrating together!
And Vanajamma, very powerful quotes from Swami Mitranandaji...just very very rich and potent.
Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Hari Om!

ॐ व्रतधराय नमः

OM VRATADHARAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who faithfully keeps His vows (26)

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Hari Om!

Jai Ramji ki...

Here is the next stanza...
as always forgive me for getting slower and slower...

प्रभु चरित्र सुनिबे को रसिया
राम लखन सीता मन बसिया || ८ ||

prabhu charitra sunibe ko rasiya
ram lakhan sita man basiya ||8||

"You ever take joy in listening to the (life profile, character, episodes from life) glories of Rama; you thus have Ram, Lakshman and Sita seated /established in your heart."

What are ears for? To hear the Truth, the glories of the Truth. Very relevant to quote here from the Bible too:

Things are hidden temporarily only as a means to revelation. For there is nothing hidden except to be revealed, nor is anything kept secret except in order that it may be made known. If any man has ears to hear, let him hear. Mark 4:22,23.

Sravanam is one of the prescribed paths for spiritual sadhana! And Hanumanji has always been held out as the prime sravana bhakta, ie bhakti through listening to Bhagawan's glories!

While sravanam is a means, for many brhamjnanis too srvanam became a favourite pastime. Sukadev for example, accomplished and relaised as he was, who does not stay anywhere for long, stayed at a stretch for seven days to narrate Srimad Bhagavatam to King Parikshit. Listening to or narrating the glories of the Lord is a sadhana in itself, allowing one as it does, to revel in Bhagawan!

And Hanumanji had ears only for Bhagawan Rama: to hear His command, to know His wish and to hear His glories. Purandaradasa says, "Listening and singing the stories of Hari is the way to Vaikuntha.....!"

Bhakta Prahlada details the nine fold ways of Bhakti and always there is emphatic reference to Dasya Bhakti. These 9 are:

Sravana (constant listening to the Lord’s glories)
Kirtana (singing the Lord’s glories, prayers, hymns,)
Smarana (constant remembrance)
Padasevanam (service at the Lord’s lotus feet)
Archanam (Worship)
Vandanam (prostration, adoration...)
Dasyam (an attitude of servitude towards the Lord and His devotees)
Sakhyam (Friendship with the Lord)
Atmanivedanam (Total surrender unto the Lord of oneself)

In his article on The Blossoming of the Bhakta in Hanumat Vibhuti (CCMT) Sw. Parameswarananda Saraswati says that in Hanumanji we see ‘a beautiful blend of these main traits of devotion: *Listening to the glory of the Lord,
*the elaboration and description of the Lord’s splendour,
* constant reflection on the true nature of the Lord,
* total attunement with the Lord, constant worship,
*meditation on the sacred mantra,
* selfless service to the Lord’s devotees.

(The last one may pls be noted with special emphasis, for it is about us devotees who prod and prompt Hanumanji for help and support and His grace!)

A devotee who has totally surrendered, will find his thoughts words and deeds arising in and about the Lord and for the Lord.
Many texts talk about the application of the karmendriyas and the jnanendriyas exclusively and only for Bhakti...

It will be apt to quote a stanza from Mukundamala: (a poem in Sanskrit written by Kulashekhara Alvar,)

Jihve kirthaya kesavam mura-ripum cheto bhaja sridharam
Pani-dvandva samarchayachyuta-kathah srotra-dvaya thvam srunu
Krishnam lokaya lochana-dvaya harer gacchanghri-yugamalayam
Jighra ghrana mukunda-pada-tulasim murdhan namadhokshajam 20

"May the tongue sing Kesava; may the mind pray Murari; May the hands do puja to Sridhara; May the ears listen to the stories of Achyuta; May the eyes behold Krishna; May the feet walk to the temple of Hari; May the nose smell the Tulasi leaves adorning the feet of the Lord; May the head bow to Adhokshaja."

Hanumanji has been described as a Jignyasu bhakta, one whose devotion is born out of a sincere desire to know the Lord and this jignyasa is what matures and ripens towards the attainment of Knowledge. In contrast is Artha bhakti and Arthaarthi bhakti. And despite all his siddhis and powers and strengths his humility in the presence of the Lord is terrific.

The lesson that emerges from this desire that places the glory of the Lord far far above all else is one that clearly expresses one’s own inferiority, despite all seeming greatness. There is the famous episode in the Ramayana where Hanumanji meets Lord Rama and Lakshmana for the first time; he first presents to them his own master Sugriv’s greatness and glories... presently Sugriv presented the greatness of Hanuman before the Lord...”There is nothing in heaven or earth that matches your strength and prowess...”, calling him a mighty warrior, intelligent, humble, kind, of perfection of speech.....But through all this Hanumanji was absorbing Lord Rama, drinking in His glory, His greatness and mentally placing all his own faculties and strengths at the Lord’s feet.

Valmikiji, in describing the 9 different kinds of bhaktis exemplifies each with a character from the scriptures based on their bhakti. Of Sravana Bhakti, he cites Hanuman as the example. When Lord Rama’s avataram came to an end, He invited Hanumanji to come away with Him. Hanuman politely declined saying that in Paramapadam one can hear only "Saama gaanam" and not "Raama gaanam". Also, if he were to go to Paramapadam, he would have to cast aside his present body that was blessed by the embrace of both Sri Rama and Sri Sita. (This is again web based research hence unable to quote scriptural source.

These little stories give us deeper insights into Hanumanji’s life.

This complete non-recognition of his own greatness but completely in devotion of the greatness of his Lord is what exemplifies his dasya bhakti. Pujya Guruji says: Hanumanji takes great delight (rasiya) in listening to the glories of the Lord. Usually, this is not our nature. When a man becomes famous, he wants people to talk about his glory; he does not want to listen to the glories of others. He does not even want to talk about the Lord’s glories. But Sri Hanuman always revels in this joy and he is eager to hear people describe the character and valor of lord Rama.”

Hanumanji asked Ramji for just one thing: “Bless me such that my devotion to you should never diminish!. Do not allow me to think of anything else!”

Taking the word ‘think’ from that line....A thought is triggered by the sense inputs – what we see, hear, taste, touch.... later thoughts also come out of stored inputs. So if what we see and hear is predominantly about Bhagawan, what we will think too will be so modulated. This is what I take away from Hanumanji’s demeanour. Recall how when he was presented with a pearl necklace he chewed every pearl to check if it contained Ram! If it did not, he had no use for it!!! The same is to be gleaned from his sravanam... his ears picked up only the glory of Rama. That is why it is also said that wherever the glories of Rama are sung, wherever the Ramcharitmanas is being read (discussed, lectured etc), Hanumanji is present!

One way to have Hanumanji’s grace ever is to be perfect in the worship of Lord as Rama!

राम लखन सीता मन बसिया

The traditional depiction of Hanuman is one where he tears open his heart to reveal Ram, Lakshman and Sita. The implication is exactly what we saw in the explanations to प्रभु चरित्र सुनिबे को रसिया. So firmly established he was in Ram naam, Ram Mahima, so full was his mind and heart with the glories and greatness of the Lord that every cell of his body vibrated with the Supreme Consciousness. Ram nishtha! He would not even listen to any other story of greatness or bow before any other. There is a story I came across about this. I do not know its source (scripturally), so if anyone does, kindly tell me. But the story is sweet.

Garuda told Hanuman, "Your worshipful Deity is calling you. Your worshipful Sri Krsna wants you to come and take His darsana."
Hanuman replied, "My health is so bad. I am sick. I cannot go. I am seriously ill."
Garuda repeated, "Krsna is calling you."
Hanuman replied, "I know, but I am so tired that I cannot do anything."
Garuda tried to take him by force, but Hanuman flicked Garuda with his tail, throwing him with such tremendous force that he at once landed near the palace of Krsna in Dvaraka.
Krsna told Garuda, "Go again, and this time tell him that Rama is calling him."
Garuda returned to Hanuman and told him, "Your worshipful Deity, Rama, is calling you."
Hanuman immediately became very joyful and said, "I will just take my bath, and as soon as I put on tilaka, I am coming. Please go ahead and tell Rama that I am coming right away."
Garuda said, "I will go very quickly, as quickly as the mind. So please come with me and ride on my back."
Hanuman said, "No, there is no need. I am coming just now. You can go ahead."
In the meantime, as Garuda reached half-way to Rama, flying so fast, he saw Hanuman coming back, jumping back, from having just seen Rama. Hanuman had already seen Krsna in the form of Rama. He had already spoken with Him and paid his respects. He was now returning, while Garuda was only half-way there.

Pujya Guruji’s explanation is stunning: In Sri Hanuman’s heart, Lord Rama, Lakshmana and Mother Sita are ever established. They always dwell in his heart. It also means that Sri Hanuman lives in their heart too! Lord Rama represents Self-knowledge, Mother Sita represents devotion (bhaktih) and Lakshmana stands for sacrifice and
dispassion (vairagya). In Sri Hanuman there is knowledge, devotion and dispassion, all of them in great measure!

Kindly share your own knowledge on this stanza.

Hari Om.
meera

Postby murugans61 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Hari OM

Thank you Meeraji for the very well researched posting. Pls don't regret for being slower. You have come up with an excellent analysis with several thought provoking references from Bible, Prahalad's nine fold Bakthi, Sw.Parameswaranandaji's article, Kulashekara Alwar's Mukundamala and many other inspiring stories. I need to read this post several times to assimilate the wonderful and deep knowledge that you have brought out.
Very inspiring and educative, indeed.
Once again thank you for your efforts

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 am

Hari OM
Sravanam is one of the three components of Jnana Yoga ( Mananam and Nididdhyasanam being the other two). Sravanam is not passive hearing. Consistent and systematic study of the scriptures for a length of time with shraddha under the guidance of a competent guru is sravanam.

As Shri Rama is embodiment of Self Knowledge, Hanumanji does sravanam by actively listening to the glories of Lord Rama.

Pujya Guruji’s explanation is stunning: In Sri Hanuman’s heart, Lord Rama, Lakshmana and Mother Sita are ever established. They always dwell in his heart. It also means that Sri Hanuman lives in their heart too! Lord Rama represents Self-knowledge, Mother Sita represents devotion (bhaktih) and Lakshmana stands for sacrifice and
dispassion (vairagya). In Sri Hanuman there is knowledge, devotion and dispassion, all of them in great measure!
- Unquote

Knowledge, devotion and action with attitude of sacrifice & dispassionate – Jnana yoga, Upasana yoga and Karma yoga – the sum and substance of Srimad Bhagavat Gita, the formula for success which will come to us when we listen to the glorious story of Lord Rama.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 am

Hari OM

Meeraji , I have two questions:

Quote -

Bhakta Prahlada details the nine fold ways of Bhakti and always there is emphatic reference to Dasya Bhakti.

Valmikiji, in describing the 9 different kinds of bhaktis exemplifies each with a character from the scriptures based on their bhakti. Of Sravana Bhakti, he cites Hanuman as the example.

- Unquote

Kindly clarify:
1) The nine different kinds of bhaktis described by Sage Valmiki – are they same as detailed by Prahladan.

2) Hanumanji is the example for sravana bhakthi. What are the other characters from scriptures that represent the balance 8 types of bhakthis.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:49 am

Hari Om and Suprabhatam, Muruganji!

Thank you for asking me to clarify, it helped me too :)

first of all, your paraphrasing Pujya Guruji's Knowledge (Rama), Bhakti (Sita) and Vairaagyam(Lakshmana) components of Hanumanji as Jnana, Upasana and Karma Yoga was a very pleasant one for me, because -- and this is how strange the unformed human mind is --- I had not seen that connection at all!

So that has now made my Hanumanji took even bigger, even brighter, even glorious so that he is verily now Yoga incarnate!

2nd: You asked me about the nine bhaktis according to Valmikiji
Well this is from Valmikiji's Ramayana, and this is what Lord Rama says to Shabari -- here they are:

(source:http://www.answers.com/topic/bhakti)

In Valmiki's Ramayana, Rama describes the path as ninefold (nava-vidha bhakti):

Such pure devotion is expressed in nine ways, .
First is satsang or association with love-intoxicated devotees.
The second is to develop a taste for hearing my nectar-like stories.
The third is service to the guru (...)
Fourth is to sing my kirtan (communal chorus) (...)
Japa or repetition of my Holy name and chanting my bhajans are the fifth expression (...)
To follow scriptural injunctions always, to practice control of the senses, nobility of character and selfless service, these are expressions of the sixth mode of bhakti.
Seeing me manifested everywhere in this world and worshipping my saints more than myself is the seventh mode of bhakti.
To find no fault with anyone and to be contented with one's lot is the eighth mode of bhakti.
Unreserved surrender with total faith in my strength is the ninth and highest stage. Shabari, anyone who practices one of these nine modes of my bhakti pleases me most and reaches me without fail.[45]

3rd, you asked about the others who are exemplified as bhaktas under the other 8 categories of bhakti, here they are:
These are the 9 characters in the Ramayana whose bhakti has been upheld as exemplary of the nava vidhis.

1. Sravana Bhakti: Hanuman – the very symbolisation of Hanuman with hands folded, tears flowing, everytime he HEARS Ram naam, is the epitome of sravana bhakti!

2. Keerthanam Bhakti: Vaalmiki ji sang, taught and every word of his was Raam naam bhakti. The 24000 slokas he composed as Ramayanam fills any and every listener, reader, knower with untold bhakti and joy...

3. Smaranaa Bhakti: Sita-ma, who ever remained engrossed and immersed in the smaranam of her Lord, Rama, in Ashokvan.
The poet describes this figuratively thus: Riding on the chariot of her mind and
holding the reins of thoughts (of Rama) as horses, she seemed mentally
racing towards Her Lord. Her mind was constantly filled with the one thought
of uniting with her Lord remembering his long hands touching His knees, his
face exuding compassion on all beings at all times.

4. Paada sevanam : Bharata.
On returning from Kekaya desham, when he realised what had happened, he swore he would bring back Rama, and if he did not succeed, he would himself stay in the forest, worshipping Rama’s feet. But when Rama forbade him to do so, Bharata, took the Lord’s padukas on his head and walked all the way back thus, and then installed the Lord’s paadukas on the throne. He himself stayed in Nandigram outside the city, worshipping the Lord’s feet mentally.

5. Archana Bhakti: Sabari.
Sabariji daily plucked fruit for Matangi rishi and his disciples and left it there for them in secrecy. When the sage found out that it was she who performed this seva, he was very touched and invited her to stay at his hermitage. Before the sage took Samadhi, he told her to await Rama. She did and during the waiting period, she daily plucked fruit to serve the Lord. And when Rama came to her doorstep, she offered him various fruits which she had plucked and preserved for His visit. Rama was very taken in by her Archanam and granted her the boon to join her Acharya (Matangi rishi) in heaven.

6. Vandana Bhakti : Vibheesana
When he could no more live in Lanka in the palace of his brother Ravana, when all pleas had failed, Vibheesahana left Lanka and took refuge at the holy feet of the Lord Rama. This saranagati is presented as the highest form of vandana bhakti where Vibheesana should the spiritual strength to give up his own to bow to the Lord.

7. Daasya Bhakti: Lakshmana
He willingly took a 14 year separation from his wife and spent those 14 years serving his brother Rama in the forest, obeying simultaneously his mother Sumitra who had bade him farewell with the words, “Serve Rama the utmost and take all dangers upon yourself.” (In the Kamba Ramayanam this is presented in the most touching words a brave mother, a value led mother can ever ever ever give her son/child. Everytime one reads those words, tears well up for knowing courage as it should be!)
Lakshmana served Rama in every way. I am trying to describe his services but it does not make sense, he has done so much! But Morari Bapu has painted the loveliest loveliest picture of Lakshmana in his discourses. Bapuji says, Tulsidasji has described Lakshmana’s feet as the most beautiful and devotees wonder what is the meaning of this! Truth is Lakshmana always walked in front of Rama so that his own feet would experience the ground (the stones, the thorns and whatnot) before his brother and Lord’s feet would touch them. In Bapuji’s words, “If such feet are not called beautiful (despite the hundreds of cuts and bruises it bore) then how will people be inspired to become bhaktas? Log bhakti ko hi chhod denge! People will give up bhakt itself!”
This explanation always moves me...

8. Saakhya Bhakti: Sugriva
Saakhyam has been defined as affection, love, friendship and respect between equals. A vaishnava has quoted the simile used by TiruvaLLuvar -- just like the hands of a person whose
garment has loosened automatically proceeds to tighten it up even before the
person realizes it, a true friend is one who rushes to help his friend when
needed even without being asked for.
No doubt Sugriva sought out Rama first to get help for his own safety from Vali. But Rama was God and destroying Vali was not difficult or threatening for Him (even if He was in manava avatar); but for Sugriv the monkey God, who having lived in an isolated cave fearing for his life, stakes that very life to help Rama find Sita.... it is this ironical twist we see in Sugriv that sets him apart as a great friend of Rama. Kamban even portrays the friendship being forged with agni as saakshi...The Treta Yuga was an amazing era of truth and honesty...!! Cannot see friendships like that anymore...!

9. Aatma Nivedana Bhakti: Jataayu

Words won’t be adequate to describe this bhakti. When the Lord and Sita-ma and Lakshmana were moving to Panchavati Jataayu offered his help. This promise he executes when he espies Ravana flying away with Sita...Jataayu fought Ravana utterly bravely even though it may have been clear that he had no chance of surviving against the 20-handed Ravana. Jatayu tore his chariot to pieces, chopped of his 10 hands that kidnapped Sita-ma, and so on. A bleeding Ravan cut off Jatayu’s wings and legs and the half dead Jatayu fell and lay in a heap – very like Bhishma pita – refusing to let his life leave his body till Rama arrived and he could give him the clue to what had happened to Sita-ma. Why? Because a crying Sita pleaded to him, ‘Go Jataayu, go tell Rama about my plight!’ How can anyone, friend or foe not heed those pitiful cries of a woman in distress? So Jatayu lay there holding his breath for Rama.

And Rama’s gratitude cannot be expressed. His mere stroking of Jataayu helped release the beautiful brave bird’s breath and lifted it to the highest state of moksha.

Trust this clarifies, Muruganji...more than that, I hope you enjoyed these...the Ramayana is so glorious...every character is pure joy!

Hari Om!
meera

Postby Padmaja » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

Very enlightening and 'heart pleasing' discussion Meeraji and Muruganji. :)
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Hari Om!
Thanks Padmaja...glad you liked them..

Prostrations to Lord Rama

ॐ सदा हनुमदाश्रिताय नमः

OM SADA HANUMADASHRITAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who is always served by Hanuman

Hari Om,
meera

Postby meera » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Hari Om!

Glory be to Lord Rama...

ॐ कौसलेयाय नमः

OM KAUSALEYAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Son of Kausalya

I hope you do not think poorly of the pace at which I am able to post...today I submit to you my study of the next verse:

सूक्ष्म रूप धरी सियहिं दिखावा
विकट रूप धरी लंका जरावा ||9||
भीम रूप धरी असुर संहारे
रामचंद्र के काज संवारे ||10||

Sooksma roop dhari siyahin dikhava
Vikata roop dhari Lanka jarava
Bhim roop dhari asura sanhare
Ramachandrake kaaj sanvare

Assuming a very very tiny form you revealed yourself to Mother Sita
Assuming a very fierce form you burnt down Lanka
Assuming a dreadful form you destroyed demons and thus helped Lord Rama accomplish His mission.

Hanumanji had the gift of being able to change his form. We see a flavour of that when he sat guarding his King, Sugriva atop a tree outside the cave where Sugriv stayed hidden (from Vali). Sugriv had already spotted two young men coming into the forest in Kishkinda and fearfully asks Hanuman to stop them and find out who they were. Hanuman then assumes the form of a Brahmin and meets Rama and Lakshmana. Hanumanji changes his form for he felt that he might scare them if he appeared in his monkey form!

Hanumanji had the ability to change size and form. And he used this only for serving his Master. The first occasion we see where he changes size is when he has to enter Lanka to find Sita-ma. Hanumanji had planned that he will go there by night when all would be asleep. But he had not reckoned for a city that partied all night. Ravana’s Lanka was a vast rich kingdom. The whole city was brightly lit and festive. The only way Hanuman could roam the city unnoticed was if he became really small. The scriptures say he made his form so very very small, like a mosquito.

In Kamban’s Ramayan, the description is even more picturesque. He says, so tiny was Hanuman’s form, that he could navigate between raindrops! Just the thought of that is so pleasing!

In Valmiki’s Ramayan (Lanka Kaand) it is said when he stood atop the mountain and looked at the city, he thought:

anena ruupeNa mayaa na shakyaa rakshasaaM purii |
praveshhTuM raakshasairguptaa kruurairbalasamanvitaiH || 5-2-33

"It is not possible for me to enter the city of ogres protected by cruel and strong rakshasas, with this appearance".

akshyaalakshyeNa ruupeNa raatrau laN^kaa purii mayaa |
praveshhTuM praaptakaalaM me kR^ityaM saadhayituM mahat || 5-2-35

"To achieve this great deed successfully, entering the city of Lanka in a small form at night is a timely thing to do" .

But when he reached the spot where Sita was in Ashokvan, he was most delighted and presenting himself to her, he introduced himself and then shows her the ring that Rama had sent. Sita-ma is overwhelmed. She asks Hanuman, such a small monkey, how did you cross the ocean?

ihaahaM yadi tishhThaami svena ruupeNa saMvR^itaH |
vinaashamupayaasyaami bharturarthashcha hiiyate || 5-2-45

"If I stay here with my usual form, I can be destroyed. The task of the Lord will also be harmed.”

suurye chaastaM gate raatrau dehaM saMkshipya maarutiH |
vR^ishhadaMshakamaatraH san babhuuvaadbhutadarshanaH || 5-2-49

After the sun had set, Hanuma reduced His body at night with a size equal to that of a cat and became a wonderful sight to behold.

Unfortunately some people have assumed that Hanumanji took the form of a cat. No he did not. He assumed a size that of a cat’s.

Then after he has sung to her the glories of Rama and proved to her that he is not Ravana in disguise, he tells her all that occurred since he first met Rama and Lakshmana in Kishkinda and says:

mayaa iyam asahaayena carataa kaama ruupiNaa |
dakShiNaa dig anukraantaa tvan maarga vicaya eShiNaa || 5-35-76

"I, who can change my form at will, desirous of finding out your access, wandering alone without any helper, came to this southern direction."

Then Hanumanji offered to carry Sita-ma back to where Rama was... Sita was surprised. She saw Hanumanji as a tiny monkey and was maybe even amused...
She said: katham vaa alpa shariiraH tvam maam ito netum icChasi |
sakaasham maanava indrasya bhartuH me plavaga R^iShabha || 5-37-30

"O Hanuma the best of monkeys! With such a small seized body, how do you wish to take me from here to the presence of my husband, Rama the Lord of human beings?"

siitaayaa vacanam shrutvaa hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH |
cintayaamaasa lakShmiivaan navam paribhavam kR^itam || 5-37-31
Hearing the words of Seetha, the illustrious Hanuma, the son of wind-god thought it to be the first insult was caused to him.

na me jaanaati sattvam vaa prabhaavam vaa asita iikShaNaa |
tasmaat pashyatu vaidehii yat ruupam mama kaamataH || 5-37-32

(Hanuma said to himself); "The black-eyed Seetha is not aware of my strength or power. That is why, let her see the form I can assume at will."

sa tasmaat paadapaat dhiimaan aaplutya plavaga R^iShabhaH |
tato vardhitum aarebhe siitaa pratyaya kaaraNaat || 5-37-34

Hanuman, the intelligent and the excellent of monkeys, leaped down from that tree and then, to create confidence in Seetha, started to increase his body-form.

Hanuman, the foremost of monkeys, flashed like Meru and Mandara mountains, shining brightly like a blazing fire. He thus stood too in front of Seetha 5-37-35
The mighty Hanuman, resembling a mountain, having a red face, having teeth and nails as hard as adamant and terrific in appearance, spoke the following words to Seetha. 5-37-36

In the Tulsidasji’s Ramcharitmanas also we see a similar situation and exchange of words (sunderkaand, verse 15).

This was the next occasion then, when Hanuman assumed the bhima rupa...

It must be reiterated here, that however he used his siddhis, he did it only for enabling Rama’s work. (Ramachandra ke kaaj sanvaare, meaning you took care of Rama’s work);

It is said that after wreaking havoc in Lanka (post his meeting with Sita-ma), where Hanumanji uprooted trees and hurled boulders at the rakshasas, and also thus killed Akshaykumar. Finally when Meghnaad sent the brahmastra towards Hanumanji, he decided to not resist the Brahmastra, a) out of complete respect for the powerful weapon b) llinked to that, a feeling that the powerful weapon would lose its greatness. Thus hit, he falls from the tree, but it is said, as he fell, his body destroyed many more rakshasas! Here too he must have assumed a huge size, in order to be able to terrorise the city with his size and weight, uprooting trees and throwing boulders.

It was this vikat roop that he used to destroy the demons in Lanka.
Later when Lakshmana is rendered unconscious by Indrajit’s arrow, Hanumanji flies to the Himalayas to get the sanjeevani herb. To a) be able to fly that far in such a short time b) carry such a large mountain, Hanuman would have had to assume his large form again.

On the battlefield in the Yuddhakaand, when Lakshmana is fighting without a chariot, Hanumanji carries him on his shoulder so that he has the advantage of height that a chariot would have given and thus battle Indrajit better.

Pujya Guruji gives this verse a beautiful Vedantic slant, through a deeper meaning to the words, Lanka and ‘jarava’. Guruji says: He assumed a huge form and destroyed and burnt Ravana’s Lanka. This has several meanings. One is that he destroyed Ravana’s places and forts. Lanka also represents the land of sense pleasures, material possessions, etc. during that time the people who lived there were mostly demons (asurah), i.e. those who think they are only the body. They do everything for the body’s comforts, sense pleasures, etc. so he destroyed the land of sensuality. He also had the right knowledge that, ‘I am not this body, I do not have to spend all my time taking care of this body’s pleasures and comforts.’ So, Sri Hanuman’s grace gives us true knowledge. This fire of Self-knowledge removes our ‘body’
identification and attachment. Another fire is the fire of Mother Sita’s sorrow. It is said that when a noble person is tortured, the fire of his or her sorrow that arises cannot be quenched. The fire of Mother Sita’s sorrow burnt Lanka to ashes

So then why do we say all this in a chalisa to Hanumanji?

I have a thought on this......We know Hanuman is a chiranjeevi, meaning one who never loses his earthly form and hence is immortally available on earth. Being son of Pavan, the wind god, he combines that with his varying size to travel (by air) and accomplish the tasks of Ram, Sita and Lakshman.
We also know that Hanuman was cursed by the rishis for having teased them during their meditation, so that they said he would never remember that he has these powers, and will have to be reminded.
So I believe that, when we are in distress and want Hanumanji to come and rescue us, save us, help us, protect someone we are praying for etc... we recall all these great feats and tell Hanumanji how he took the small form of a monkey, or entered Lanka assuming a form so small, then assumed a huge giant-like form and destroyed Lanka.... so that he recalls his powers and is able to apply them instantly to come to our aid!
Jai Hanuman...!

Hari Om...
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 am

Hari OM

A person might be very educated and holding a very great position, yet, he is small in front of his mother. “Suukshma ruupa dhari siyahi dikhaava”. Hanumanji too was small in front of his mother Sitama and yet he assumed the most terrorizing form “ vikata ruupa dhari lanka jaaraava” and burnt Lanka to ashes.

Hanumanji took a fierce form against injustice. Hanumanji took such a terrible form, fought all the rakshasas and burnt Lanka. This was not to display his strength. It was not for himself, but to complete Shri Rama’s assignment of establishing dharma.

In the Bhagavad Gita Lord says,

Paritranaaya sadhuunaam vinashayaaya chaduskritaam
Dharmasamsthaapanaarthaaya sambhavaami yuge yuge.

The Lord is born into this world for establishing righteousness. The mission of Lord Shri Rama is to establish righteousness and Hanumanji served to complete this mission.

Anekarupa rupaya visnave prabhavishnave – As his omnipotent master Lord Vishnu, who has manifold forms, Hanumanji is also bestowed with the capacity to take aneka rupaas.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

Thank you for sharing more thoughts. The understanding of sukhshma roop in front of one's mother is touching...very nice!

--------------

Glory to Sree Rama..
meera

Postby meera » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:11 am

Hari Om!

Jai Ram ji ki...

ॐ खरध्वंसिने नमः
OM KHARADHVAMSINE NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Annihilator of the demon Khara

Om...
meera

Postby meera » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 am

Hari Om!

Jai Sree Ramachandra Bhagawan ki!

The last verse (10) seems to keep finding more and more meanings and one more came to me just this morning.

The word ‘jarava’ which meant ‘burn’ now begs to be explained further, for it seems Tulsidasji had meant much more than the physical burning of the city of Lanka.

One Anjaneyulu writes that Hanumanji burnt Lanka with the shoka (pain, anguish) of Sita. And thus he rightfully cautions ‘don’t cause pain to the timid and weak, the sadu and the saint... for that agni is lethal.
Then he brings in another explanation: the vairaagya agni os Hanuman burnt the bhoga nagari of Lanka.

This explanation goes on to say that if our hearts are Ayodhya, (therefore, pure, honest, caring, loving, compassionate, without ego) then Ram resides there. If not, we have Lanka nagari in our hearts. And that Lanka can be (and needs to be ) burnt down by only Hanuman...! (I loved this) so we pray the chalisa to Hanuman calling him to come and destroy the Lanka in our hearts and establish Ram Rajya, Ayodhya there.

Hari Om!
meera

Postby meera » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:21 am

Hari Om!

श्री राम राम रामेति रमे रामे मनोरमे
सहस्रनाम ततुल्यम रामनाम वरानने

Thanks for your kindness... here is verse eleven..

लाय संजीवन लखन जियाये
श्री रघुबीर हरषी उर लाये ||11||

Laaya sanjivan Lakhan jiyaaye
Sree Raghubir harashi ur laaye ||11||

You fetched the sanjivani (herb) and revived Lakshmana (who had fainted on the battlefield) and made Lord Rama happily embrace you.

The bringing of sanjeevani from the Himalayas by Hanuman is the culmination of a huge huge war with the near invincible Indrajit.

The importance of this force with which Hanuman succeeded or say, the power that propelled him to cover that distance and achieve the impossible is verily a reflection of his dogged determination to somehow win for Rama. Win what? The life of Lakshmana at one level, and the defeat of Indrajit’s seeming attack on Raghuvamsha. Indrajit could not be allowed to get away with this.

To understand what propelled Hanuman, one needs to alos understand how terrible was the attack by Indrajit.

Not once,
Not twice....but three times he attacked Lakshmana and each time the power was renewed and each time he was getting away with the feeling that he was going to win.

Indrajit was a very very powerful and extremely strategic warrior. And if one understands what a great warrior he was, one will see the greater greatness of Hnauman in his determination to do all that he did. After all the solution is always far far far greater in might than the problem, that is why the solution is called a solution...that which dissolves the problem!

Very briefly, Indrajit, son of Ravana first dissuades his father from keeping Sita. This happens when he sees the havoc that Hanuman wreaked on Lanka singlehandedly. Havoc included the death of so many many rakshasa armies that were sent one after another to destroy Hanuman! And he also saw that his own brother Akshaya was slayed by Hanuman... and this is when he chides his father saying, “You did not weigh the danger before you before you rushed into it unthinking! Despite seeing the prowess of the monkey you kept sending more of our people after him. What was the point?” And here is where he makes the most famous statement, “Ought we not to rank him (Hanuman) with Shiva, Brahma and Vishnu?”

But Indrajit ( aka Meghnad – because his birth cry was like a thunder !) truly enjoyed a good fight. A good opponent. Kamban describes him as “perfection of all valorous qualities”. Hence Indrajit was delighted that his opponent was so powerful, valorous and mighty – Hanuman!

Ravana did not send him into battle until he had lost his other sons and even Kumbhakarna had been killed by Rama. It was then that Indrajit resolved he would kill Rama and Lakshmana. Seeing him Lakshmana asked Vibhisana, ‘who is this?’ And Vibhisana replied, “He is the hero who crushed in war, Indra, no less! Hot will be the fight this day!”

The ensuing fight was horrendous. The vanaras fled. Hanuman and Sugriv then took him on...there was no end to the flight of arrows from both sides...Lakshmana’s arrows destroyed Indrajit’s lions, horses and brought his chariot to the ground and worse... his arrow tore off Indrajit’ s armour. Both were bleeding immensely and through that Indrajit lauded Lakshmana’s archery!

His words were:

Superb is this man’s skill with the bow. If he is not Rama or Narayana himself, I do not know who he is! Who is there in our city who can match him!

The fight was intense and bloody... and towards evening both had become very tired. The sun was about to set and Vibhishana warned Lakshman that rakshasas get stronger by night so Indrajit should be destroyed before sunset. The last arrow from Lakshmana destroyed Indrajit’s chariot...and Indrajit was not to be seen. While everyone thought he was finished, he had infact become invisible, a power he had. Lakshmana’s dropped his guard for so brief a time, during which Indrajit, son-in-law of Shesh Nag, king of serpents, made a terrible trap with millions of snakes and trapped Rama and Lakshman in it. Garuda rescued them..

On day two, Indrajit realised that the two brothers had been saved. Now he swore he would destroy Lakshman. The 2nd day’s fight was even more furious. When Lakshmana saw Indrajit routing for Rama, he told his brother, “ Please allow me to fight this battle; already my name is mud because I could not save anyone form the nagapasha... I burn to engage with this foe in battle and remove the slur he has cast upon my name!”

Indrajit fought very very furiously; But all his force would not bend Lakshman. Seeing this Indrajit decided to use more of his illusory powers of disappearing and appearing near Lakshman and disappearing again and thus confusing Lakshman more and more.

Knowing what his enemy was capable of, Lakshmana asked Rama that he be allowed to use the Brahmastra... and finish off Indrajit and all Lanka.

Hearing that Indrajit decided he needed to forestall them and prepare the weapon himself against them. Now Indrajit had a boon from Brahma (given at the time he had conquered Indra and thus also earned this name) that if he performed the fire worship to his family goddess before a battle, then he would be invincible. Only when his yagna was disrupted would he de destroyed. Indrajit combined this boon with his power to disappear, so that no one found out that he was performing a yagna...

Meanwhile Rama told Lakshmana that the Brahmastra was a respected weapon and had to be applied in a given way. If it was used in anger, it would destroy all the worlds and it was incorrect to endanger the whole world to kill one enemy. (So well said!)

There was a light lull in the battle as the rakshasas had fled, and Rama went to perform some worship before using his next set of weapons in the war, expecting Indrajit any moment... That was when Indrajit struck. He did not have the ethos of warfare that Rama preached. So he recklessly applied the Brahmastra on the armies in which so many many thousands of vanaras and the heroes themselves were killed. Lakshman was one of them.

Hanuman too was badly injured, please note. He was bleeding profusely when Rama found him. When they found Lakshmana lifeless like a corpse, Rama broke down completely. Hanuman’s body was covered with arrows and bleeding wounds. With Rama’s name on his lips, he removed them one by one and washed himself in cold water. Then he went to Jambavan and asked him if he knew of a remedy...

It is stunning that a badly wounded Hanuman yet thought of his Rama’s joy. It is now easier to fathom what great feat he performed and what propelled him to do so. Fighting Indrajit was not easy given his sorcery skills and not so vale-led war tactics. Add to that Hanuman’s determination to serve his Master completely and at all times...

And Jambavan himself recovering from the attack of the brahmastra, jumped for joy on hearing that Hanuman was alive. He said:
“Now all is not lost! We shall now even now rise from this fall – we shall!”

(Allow me this aside: but this sounds a lot like another Hanuman follower, Barrack Obama - Yes We Can!)

Jambavan told him about the Sanjivini Herb...it was the only herb that could counter the death caused by the Brahmastra...So Hanuman grabbed Sushen the rajvaidya (some say he kidnapped Sushen) and brought the whole mountain Dronagiri . And all this had to be done before sunrise for that was when the effect of the Brahmastra would be complete and irreversible.

(Tulsidas ji also tells us that as Hanuman flew over Ayodhya while returning with the mountain Donagiri, Bharat saw this strange apparition in the sky and thinking it to be a rakshas, shot an arrow at Hanuman in the sky! Hanuman falls in a faint chanting Ram Naam... and Bharat on hearing Ram’s name helps Hanuman recover. On hearing the whole story, Bharat is anxious that now Hanuman will be more delayed.

Tulsidasji says, Bharat told Hanuman why don’t you perch on my arrow with the hill, and I will transport you there... Hanuman felt that his weight and size was more than the arrow can take, yet to respect Bharat and having heard Ram’s name from him (patvaun tohi jahan kripaniketa..!), he said, thinking of Ram’s greatness and glory“ I will carry your glory in my heart and fly off very fast”.

The herb brought and administered to Lakshmana, he now recovers....

Rama embraced Hanuman tearfully and here I shall quote from Kamban, although Valmiki and Tulsidas too are eloquent in this portion:

Once we were born of Dashrath, O friend
But those our bodies now are dead which took
Their brith from him. And now we are born again,
And thou it is to whom we owe this birth...
............... ............................................may never Death
Approach thy frame: live thou for ever and ever!”

Hari Om....
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:10 am

Hari OM Meeraji

Thank you for the detailed description of the Ramayana war scene which brings out very nicely the parakrama of Shri Hanumanji.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:31 am

Hari Om Muruganji...

Glad that you benefited...
hari om!
meera

Postby meera » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:11 am

Hari Om!

Glory be to Lord Rama, and to his best bhakta, Hanumanji.

ॐ विराध वधपंडिताया नमः

OM VIRADHA VADHAPANDITAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Expert in destroying the demon Viradha

Hari Om
meera

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas