Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby meera » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 am

Hari Om....

Glory be to Hanuman!

I have been delayed again, for which I ask forgiveness...let us continue with the 12th verse:

रघुपति कीन्ही बहुत बढाई
तुम मम प्रिय भरतहि समां भाई ||12||

Raghupati keenahi bahut badhaii
Tum mam priya Bharatahi sama bhai||12||

Lord Rama praised (you) very highly (and said), “You are as dear to me as my brother Bharata”.

I have read that Rama sang the praises of Bharat night and day and equally, Bharat sang the praises of Rama night and day! That was how much they adored one another. So when Rama says this to Hanuman, it carries much more weight.

The first time Hanumanji met Sita in Ashokvan, and he has convinced her that he is in fact Ram dhoot, Sita ma is so moved that she addresses Hanuman as ‘son’, not once but several times. And Hanumanji addresses Sita ma as ‘mata’...so much so that now relieved at having assured her and comforted her, he, like a child, asks her, Mother, seeing these beautiful fruit laden trees I am hungry, can I eat? And she says, son, be alert these forests have very hefty warriors...

सुनहूँ माता मोहि अतिसय भूखा, लागी देखि सुंदर फल रूखा
सुनु सुत करहिं बिपिन रखवारी परम सुभट रजनीचर भारी (RCM sunderkaand 16)

Hanumanji was also instrumental in building relationships among others; like he brought Ramji and Sugriv together, Vibhisana and Rama together...yet when he himself related with these people, they saw him as a relative! Fact is that Hanuman’s actions brought untold joy and peace to the beneficiary.
For example when Hanumanji takes back the message of having sighted Sita-ma, Sugriva says, ‘Nothing goes wrong where Hanuman leads’ (Sundarkaand, 63rd sarga); and Rama embraces Hanuman and says, “In the present circumstances it is impossible for me to reward you adequately...may this embrace which I give you, be everything!’

More than simple gratitude it is also an acknowledgement that none other than you can have done this. Jambavaan himself says in the Yuddha kaand, 74th sarga, “If Hanuman alone is alive, even if all of us are dead we may consider ourselves alive; but if Hanuman is dead, even if all of us are alive, we must be considered dead!”

A subtle affirmation of faith that is very filial and familial again, is when Surya devta, Hanumanji’s Guru from whom he got the vedic knowledge from, asks him – as Guru Dakshina --to assist Sugreeva, who was born of the Sun! That is how Hanuman serves as Sugreeva’s minister.

And now Rama addresses Hanuman as ‘dear as Bharat my brother’. But after the battle when they return from Lanka, Rama addresses him as ‘son’ :

सुन सुत तोही उरिने में नाहीं |
देखेऊँ करी विचार मन माहीं

“Listen my son, I have thought over the question, and concluded that the debt which I owe you cannot be repaid.”

Bharat too addresses Hanuman as ‘Taat’ ie, father. This is when Hanumanji has lifted Dronagiri and is flying over Ayodhya to return to Lanka superfast, Bharat seeing this most strange form in the sky, fears it is a demon and shoots an arrow at him. Hanuman falls down chanting, Ram Ram Ram...hearing this Bharat repents and cries...and invokes Bhagawan’s grace. When Hanuman is revived, Bharat says, “Taat (father), tell me about the welfare of Lakshman, Sita and Ram ....”

So under what circumstances do we compare a person with a family member?
The immensity of a help received at the right time, goes deep down and touches us at a level that makes us realise how valuable this help was.
And when something really and truly wakes us up, we experience a sense of oneness with the helper, giver.

The unique thing is the helper himself may not realise how much his help meant to you. Hence the value of the help received would usually be apparent to the one receiving help. And that is when one is bound to experience a closeness which we relate to ‘family’. This is so even if family itself may not have the capability or inclination to help! So when we experience this ‘closeness’ we are relating it to the oneness we associate with familes at a physical level, but deep within the ones we sense is the universality of the Atma.

So when a feeling is at a spiritual level, soul level the best comparison we tend to give is a reference to brother, sister, father, mother, child – relationships that we resonate with very very closely.

If we remember that Hanumanji is an avatar or form of Lord Shiva, and if we also recall that the Ramayan is verily a narrative as spoken by Lord Shiva (narrating the Ram Katha) to Parvatiji, then we can readily understand the filial emotion that surfaces everytime Hanumanji serves Bhagawan. That service is verily Shiva’s service to Rama. The devotion of Lord Shiva to Lord Rama is then seen in each of these acts – be it saving Lakshmana, reaching Ma Sita, saving Rama and Lakshmana from the naagapaasha, and even in serving Sugriva, because Hanumanji knew that Sugriva would be instrumental in finding Sita-ma.

But as rendered by the great bhakta Hanuman, we get to see a unique aspect of Hanuman’s impact on the people he related to. And therein lies a message for us. When we serve someone, we need to bring into that service the unconditionality that is present when we serve our own brother, sister or parents....

Earlier I had felt that in glorifying Hanumanji thus, we will remind him of his powers which he tends to forget owing to the spell cast upon him...and once reminded he will help us. Therefore with this attitude if we read parts of the HC we tend to interpret them as: You were able to help greats like Sugriva and Vibhisana, even the grimmest of wars that Rama Himself fought... what then is my affliction in the face of all that? Your powers are so great, surely you can rid me of them...

But now I feel differently. Having seen the oneness that Rama & Sita, Vibhisana, Sugriva, Jambavan, Lakshmana and Bharat feel towards Hanuman...I see Hanuman’s devotion to a cause called Rama as being singlepointed. Whatever he did for anyone else, be it Bharat or Lakshmana or Vibhisana, it was for enabling Rama’s cause. He did not do it because he is a saviour of humans...

Each of the people Hanumanji helped were primarily working for Rama... and it their devotion that we need to see clearly. Hanuman himself at one point folds his hands and bowing before Rama says, “Please give me this blessing that my affection for you should never diminish. Do not let me think of anything else....”

And that is all Hanumanji ever thinks of... working for Rama. Serving Rama. Therefore he delivered anyone who was working for Rama. That is how he delivered all the others....so in chanting the HC we need to pray likewise and ask for the door to Ram Bhakti be opened in our hearts...and Hanuman will willingly help...We don’t need transactional help; we need bhakti, unflinching, unfailing bhakti that the Lord will yogakshema vahamyaham... and the chanting of the HC is to strengthen this, verily.

Hari Om....
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Hari OM Meeraji, you have very nicely brought out the important feature of Grihastha ashrama

To quote – “ And that is when one is bound to experience a closeness which we relate to ‘family’. This is so even if family itself may not have the capability or inclination to help! So when we experience this ‘closeness’ we are relating it to the oneness we associate with familes at a physical level, but deep within the ones we sense is the universality of the Atma.
So when a feeling is at a spiritual level, soul level the best comparison we tend to give is a reference to brother, sister, father, mother, child – relationships that we resonate with very very closely”.

When we resonate with all other beings around us (universality of the Atma that you rightly mentioned) , the joy is immense.

Subramanya Bharathiar, a great Tamil poet says,

Kaakai kuruvi engal jaathi
Neel kadalum malayum engal koottam
Nokkumidamellam Naamanri veru illai
Nokka nooka kondattame.

A crude translation of the above tamil verse, which explains Advaita Vedanta, is as follows:

Crows and sparrows belong to our tribe
The vast ocean and mountain belong to our family
Wherever we see, we see ourselves only, not others
Seeing with such an attitude brings immense joy.

Also you have brought out the importance of working for a greater Ideal in life. What can be greater ideal than working for Shri Ramji, the embodiment of Self.

When Hanuman saved Laxman’s life, Shri Ram wondered how to reward Hanumanji and decided that Hanumanji had done so much that he would remain indebted to him. We can never remove our indebtedness to our parents, our teachers or to God. Even if we serve them all our life and give them everything that we own, we can never clear the debt. Shri Ramji became indebted to Hanumanji and gave himself to him.

Why the Lord has compared Hanumanji’s love with that of Bharata and not that of Lakshmana? To the parents all their children are equal, but the one who is not there is missed more. Similarly Shri Ramji also missed Bharata who was not there with him. When a person is serving the Lord by remaining at his side, he does not feel the effort at all because he gets the joy of being near to the Lord. But Bharata was able to serve the Lord even from so much distance and yet do it with greatest sincerity.

In the Ramayana, Lakshmana could never stay away from Shri Ram and always served Him by remaining with Him. Bharata on the other hand, could only serve Him from far. Hanumanji was so blessed that he could do both.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

Glory be to Rama, without whose manava avatar we would never know Hanuman!

ॐ विभीषण परित्रतरे नमः

OM VIBHISHANA PARITRATRE NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Protector of Vibhishan

Your reply was most touching. Like how different people around the world see the Moon differently from their windows, depending on their location, your point of view (literally) was unique, different and heart moving. Yes, it is true, is it not, that Bhagawan missed Bharat and thus compared His love for Hanumanji with that He felt for Bharat.

A mother experiences that almost every day. She remembers her child who is unwell much more than she does the healthy ones. And she appears to have greater love for the one who is unwell, sometimes even doubting her own love as having been inadequate in the past (and thus having 'caused' the unwell state!) The Lord plays these games on us through our mind and thus fortifies our love for our child even more, almost as if my so remembering the unwell one, he is forced to heal!

Ditto for her largesse for the unwell one; the first serving of the payasam or butter is for him who is unwell and all the rest can please wait...Bhagawan's pain at remembering Bharat is painful (for us) for these reasons too.

As for Lakshman, how well you state it Muruganji, that he needed nothing as he was ever in the presence of Rama. Basking thus in the energy of the Lord 24 hours of the day, how would he feel exhaustion or fatigue? I think now of those devotees who enjoy this kind of opportunity to serve Pujya Guruji being within his orbit. Yet Bhagawan would later praise Lakshmana's service in glorious words, FOR THE REST OF US TO BRING OUR ATTENTION TO THE UNCONDITIONAL AND SELFLESS SERVICE HE RENDERED. If not we are likely to think of it as an 'opportunity to serve' (standpoint of Bhagawan) and not about the opportunity wisely used (standpoint of the Bhakta).

Yet there are so many Bharats in the Mission who serve Gurudev and Guruji from far away...keeping the Goals before them as Bharat did the Lord's paaduka.

There is an elder in the Mission who worked closely with Pujya Gurudev and everytime he has a new anecdote to relate, but each time the details are so rich, that I can see how much he revels in it even to this day. Nothing has faded, no memory has blurred. And even as he narrates, you can hear the dancing joy of a child in his voice, gurgling with pure joy...It fascinates me to realise that an experience in the presence of the Lord, in Oneness with Him can NEVER become a part of memory; it is not a storable data but verily becomes one's operating system, current and running all the time! How can we 'remember' it when we will never be permitted to 'forget' it?

Hari Om, Hari Om, Hari Om!!!
meera

Postby meera » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:36 am

Hari Om!

OM KODANDA KHANDANAYA NAMAHA

ॐ कोदंडा खंदनाया नमः
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who broke the mighty bow

Hari Om...
meera

Postby meera » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:47 am

Hari Om!
Prostrations to Hanumanji, the giver of bhakti!

सहस बदन तुम्हारो यश गावै |
अस कही श्रीपति कंठ लगावै || 13 ||

सनाकाधिक् ब्रह्मादी मुनीसा
नारद सारद सहित अहीसा ||14||

यम कुबेर दिगपाल जहां ते
कवि कोविद कही सके कहां ||15||

sahasa badana tumharo jasa gävaià |
asa kahi sripati kanth lagavai ||

Embracing you, Lord Rama Said, “Even Shesha, the thousand headed serpent sings your glory”

sanakadik brahmaadi muneesa
naarad saarad sahita aheesa||

The (great) sages like Sanaka, etc., and gods like Brahma, Shesha (the King of Serpents) and Narada and goddess Sharada.

yam kubera digpaala jaahante
kavi kovid kahi sake kahaante

Yama – the god of death, Kubera – the god of wealth, the eight regents (of the directions), poets and scholars have not been able to praise you adequately.

These verses are all expressive of the same thought – the glory of Hanuman as expressed by others.

The Sanat Kumaras, (referred to as Sanak, aadi or etc, to stand for all four: Sanat, Sanatana, Sanaka, Sanandana) Brahma, Indra, Vayu, Kubera (all the gods) and sages also praise you. The great sages like Narada, Sharada (sarasvati – goddess of knowledge) all sing your glories. Yama, God of Death, Kubera, treasurer of gods, dik-palakah, guardian of all the directions, great poets, scholars, pundits – all praise you and sing your glories!

These are inexhaustible, how can I enumerate them?

There is a lot in here that is being said and to be understood. So many different gods and sages and saints and exalted greats have all praised Hanumanji. And each one has done so at a different point in time and used very different words to praise. Why are they all singing Hanumanji’s praise?

I do not know where to begin my thoughts.

First of all we will recall that Hanumanji was conceived to be the Lord’s servant when the Lord Himself took His human avatara to rid the world of the human personification of wickedness called Ravana.

At that time if we recall, all the gods descended at Brahmaji’s door offering various portions of their strengths as an adornment for the Ramdhoot, for Ramadasa...so as a result Hanumanji was an unimaginabke conception of strengths and abilities of all kinds.

At one level we can say, so many were his skills and strengths, that Hanumanji himself cannot remember what all is there at his disposal. So the gods often had to call out and describe to him, ‘Oh but you are the personification of this or that quality!’

Then there is that episode where as a child Hanumanji disturbed some sages during their tapas, and they cursed him in anger – ‘you will not remember your strengths!’

So it is said this is one reason why the gods had to keep reminding him and to do so they sang his praises.

The other reason I feel is, Hanumanji was always so immersed in Ramabhakti, puja, dhyanam and mananam that he was virtually without ego, or residing outside his ego self. He was ever blissfully revelling in Rama. That also means there was only one thought and that thought was Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram....

When that is so, how will he have the thought of his skills and strengths? For there was no scope for a second thought!

As a result, I feel (and pls correct me if my thoughts are flighty)—when there was distress, trouble, danger, etc, or even happiness, celebration, joy etc... Hanumanji was unchanged, un touched. He remained in Rama dhyanam...even if his body ate of the fruit of the trees in Lanka or his hands were pulverising the rakshasas or his mouth rebuking Ravana...

But to the external viewer, be it the Sanath Kumaras or Yama devata, or Indra devata or Narad muni... who saw this indifferent state of Hanumanji, he appeared ‘lost’ and unaware what he should do. So they sang out his praise and urged him on saying, ‘Don’t you know how glorious you are and what all you are capable of?’

Take the case of Jambavan. How glorious is his entreaty to Hanuman! Jamabavan’s story is interesting. Sampaati the vulture had seen Ravan carry away Sita and he tells the monkeys where to find her in Ashokvan, in Lanka. Now that means the monkeys had to have the skills to leap across the ocean to Lanka! Now the treatment of this data is different in the RCM and the Valmiki Ramayan (VR); In RCM, Sampaati defines the qualifications for one who can perform Ramkaaja. Specifically, the Adhyatma Ramayan fine tunes this qualification as: One who has faith!

Tulsidasji specifies the qualifications thus: physical strength to leap across, courage to face all hurdles, intelligence to outwit the enemy, firmness of mind to deal with stress and difficulties and.....

................ the presence of Rama in the heart! And what does that mean? Presence, such that the individual is able to allow Rama to do His own work!

All the monkeys burst forth with their own assessment of their strengths but they doubted if they had it all; Hanumanji sat separately quiet. Why was he quiet? Commentators usually secular in approach attribute the silence to all kinds of emotion, which we know Hanumanji is incapable of.
Now apply any of the earlier arguments here: that he had forgotten he had all these qualities, that he was in ekagrata in Raam naam mananam, or that he awaited the Lor’s command...

It is most touching for now Jamabavan who assesses available strengths in the monkey camp lets out a huge litany of praises telling Hanuman about his buddhi, balam, viryam, viveka, jnana, tejas, vega, vikrama, but none of these touch Hanuman who continue to sit there poker faced lost in Rama vichara. Until Jamabavan who was probably the only one who understood that of all the monkeys there only Hanuman had the last mentioned attribute: the presence of Rama in his heart! Until he mentioned this, Hanuman did not react at all for his contention must have been all the buddhi, vega, viveka, tejas, jnana etc belong to my Lord...how can I say they are mine?

But when Jambavan narrates the whole story of Hanuman’s birth alluding that his very birth was for Rama, that he was the personification of love of Rama...of Rama bhakti...and then goes on to recount his birth, etc...and how the various devatas confer on baby Hanuman all their prowesses to be applied in Ramakaaj....so that we see the above praises to be:
Indra makes him immune to the brahmastra
Surya (his guru) gives him a part of his effulgence and eloquence
Varuna promises that innumerable years his waters will not harm him
Yama promises him a disease free life (and from dejection or loss of spirit in battle!)
Kubera promises his mace to him which will not bring defeat
Siva and Brahma’s weapons will not harm him (and Ravan possessed some of these)
And Brahma finally confers the master of all blessings: You will be a terror to your enemies and you will perform such feats that will cause terror in the hearts of your enemies while also pleasing Rama.

But as the story goes, it was all these powers that made baby Hanuman careless so that he upset the rishis and they cursed him to forget.

And it is that Jambavan recalls for Hanuman and it is that reminder that powers Hanumanji’s flight from Kishkinda to Lanka. This is what Jambavan says in his glorification of Hanuman (from Kamba Ramayana):

You are a Chiranjeevi, expert in all arts. You have the power of speech. In your duty you have never fallen and stood firm in accomplishing it. Like Lord Shiva you have the capacity to fight a fierce war and destroy anybody.
Even when the divine weapons of Gods attacked you, you will withstand it and it can’t destroy you. With just one attempt you will be able to jump over the whole cosmos.
So it is just a play for you to cross over the ocean to Lanka and fight the enemies without losing strength or stamina and get back here again.

You can make yourself grow higher than the Meru mountain and again into a tiny form to even go in between the gaps of the rain drops. (This is Kamban’s terrific literary creativity!) You can lift the earth and reach out to the Sun to touch him.
By your exact plan – (having a pure and great power of intellect), without crossing the dharma, the unconquerable Vali has been conquered by us. You are standing in righteousness. Truth abides in you. You are thorough in all Vedas and everybody can say that you are the Brahma who created the worlds. You have an abundance of love for Rama and Lakshmana, so you know precisely what needs to be done.

So searching Sita and getting information about her becomes your duty and you have taken over this task, as there is never a chance of a failure in whatever task you undertake and so you will accomplish it.

You know what is the time to act and when to keep silent. What is the goal to be achieved and what are all the other things to be done in achieving the goal – you have the ability to fulfill all these tasks also.

You have the strength to cross this ocean and so go fast and by (bringing back) the news of Sita you will also make Rama cross the ocean of sorrow of being separated from Sita.

It is evident how the last sentence only was all Hanumanji needed to sping into action!

Since Hanuman posseses so many qualities no one person can describe his glory completely. This could be taken as one explanation for the references to Yama, kubera, dikpalakas, kavi, kovids, and sahasa badan or sheshnaag who all sing Hanuman’s praises. One can say the 1000 heads of Sheshnaag also are inadequate to describe Hanumanji’s glories just as it is alluded that Ma Saraswati Herself falls short of words to describe his greatness!

Incidentally, the reference to sheshnaag could also be a reference to Lakshmana who is an incarnation of sheshnaag or Ananta Shesha who is the 1000 headed snake on whom Vishnu Bhagawan rested on the Kshirasagara (ocean of milk) and is thus an eternal presence with Bhagawan in every incarnation, so that in Krishna avatar he marks presence as Balarama. (There is also an interesting story that Lakshmana was really fed up with Sri Rama’s domination and told Him as much, especially after the Lord scolded him and told him to stay with Sita and not accompany Him when the Lord went after the deer for Sita. And later when Lakshmana refused to pay heed to the false voice that called out in Rama’s voice, Sita scolded Lakshmana and forced him to leave her and go find Rama. Irritated, Lakshmana told Rama: I am tired of being your younger brother and being bullied by you. In the next avatara I want to be your older brother then you will know!’ And the Lord reputedly said, ‘tat-asthu!’ paving the way for Blarama as older brother!)

The glory of Hanuman and how various saints and sages and rishis and devatas tried to describe him is incomplete without mentioning Sage Valmiki himself. Story goes (I don’t know the source of this story) that after the Lanka war and Rama’s coronation, Hanuman went away to the Himalayas to spend time in contemplation of the Lord. There he wrote the Ramayana capturing every detail...One day Valmiki rishi came there to show him his writings of the Ramayana. Valmikiji was disappointed at seeing Hanumad Ramayana. And he said as much to Hanumanji that what I have labored over is no patch on your work and hence will not be read by the masses. Promptly Hanumanji discarded his Ramayan....Valmikiji was startled and asked for another birth when he could devote his whole life to singing Hanumanji’s glory which he had not emphasised in the Valmiki Ramayan!

Hanumanji granted him this boon so that Valmikiji took birth as Tulsidas in the Kali Yuga and wrote RCM. (For this the reference I find is:

"वाल्मीकिस्तुलसीदासः कलौ देवि भविष्यति |
रामचन्द्रकथामेतां भाषाबद्धां करिष्यति ||"
-Bhavishyottar Purana, Pratisarga Parva, 4.20

Point made with this anecdote is that: Tulsidasji needed a whole life time to describe the glories of Hanumanji!

Hari Om!
meera

Postby meera » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 am

Hari Om!

One sentence in my post above: the presence of Rama in the heart! And what does that mean? Presence, such that the individual is able to allow Rama to do His own work!
is derived from a commentary on RCM by Catherine Ludvik in her book "Hanumān in the Rāmāyaṇa of Vālmīki and the Rāmacaritamānasa of Tulasī Dāsa".

Apologies for not making the mention y/day. But there is something to think here: We all have a place for Bhagawan in our heart, but we have not handed over charge to Him... that would mean let Him do what He needs to even through us...so that this BMI is also entirely His...to use as He wishes.

It will be clear to us why Hanumanji was the only one who could have taken that flight to Lanka.... he was verily the thought filled mind of the Lord...

Hari Om
meera

Postby murugans61 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 am

Hari OM

In these dohas, we see that Seshnaaga, Sanaka, Brahma and other Gods, the sage Narada, Godess Sarasvati, Yama, Kubera and the Gods of Direction, all praised Hanumanji.

Those who sing the praises of Hanumanji will get the blessings of all these Gods. They will never fear Yama - The God of death and so the fear of death will not touch those who worship Hanumanji. They will always be blessed by Kubera - the God of Wealth. Godess Sarasvati's blessings will always be there for devotees of Hanumanji. When we sing the glories of Hanumanji, the dikpalakaas will also bless us and we will be protected from all directions.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:56 am

Hari Om!
Glory to Sri Rama and His unmatched bhakta and servant, Sri Hanuman!

ॐ सप्ततल प्रभेद्रे नमः

OM SAPTATALA PRABHEDRE NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who permeates the seven planes of existence

Has been difficult to get here, will be posting the next verse soon.

Hari Om,
meera

Postby vedarangan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Hari Om Meera amma,

I was reading from time to time your posting on Hanuman Chaslisa. It was very inspiring and was happy reading new variety of meanings, deeper understanding, significance of the verses in these postings. Will wait for your next posting.
vedarangan

Postby Padmaja » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:10 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Meeraji, what you say is so true ! Thanks for sharing.

meera wrote:. But there is something to think here: We all have a place for Bhagawan in our heart, but we have not handed over charge to Him... that would mean let Him do what He needs to even through us...so that this BMI is also entirely His...to use as He wishes.

It will be clear to us why Hanumanji was the only one who could have taken that flight to Lanka.... he was verily the thought filled mind of the Lord...

Hari Om
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Hari Om Padmaja,

Thank you...!

Om...
meera

Postby meera » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Jai Ram ji ki...
pavana tanaya sankat harana mangal murathi roopa
Ram Lakhan Sita sahita hrudaya basahu sur bhupa..

ॐ दशग्रीव शिरोहराय नमः

OM DASHAGRIVA SHIROHARAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who cut off Ravana's heads

Hari Om.
meera

Postby meera » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Jai Ram ji ki...
pavana tanaya sankat harana mangal murathi roopa
Ram Lakhan Sita sahita hrudaya basahu sur bhupa..

ॐ दशग्रीव शिरोहराय नमः

OM DASHAGRIVA SHIROHARAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who cut off Ravana's heads

Hari Om.
meera

Postby meera » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Hari Om,
greetings!

तुम उपकार सुग्रीवहिं कीन्हा
राम मिलाय राज पद दीन्हा ||१६||

tuma upakära sugrévahià kénhä |
räma miläya räja pada dénhä ||

You helped Sugriva in regaining his (lost) kingdom by making him meet Lord Rama.
Sugriva.

Tulsidasji glorifies Hanumanji even more here by saying ‘You made Sugreeva meet Rama’; And thus you did Sugreev, your master/employer, a service (upkaar). This meeting of Sugreeva and Rama was a mutually beneficial one.

Sugreeva was hiding in the Rishyamukha mountains, from his brother Vali who had abducted his wife and on top of that was baying for his (Sugreeva’s) blood. Not just hiding, but on top of a tree, keeping vigil in the dense forest for any attack. Accompanying him and keeping vigil for him, was his minister, Hanuman.

On the other side, Rama and Lakshmana were scouring the forests for Sita. Seeing them approach the vicinity of the Rsyamuka Hill, Sugreeva feared these men in bark were assailants sent by Vali his brother, especially since the forest was so impossible to access.

Gripped by fear and consequent panic, Sugreev was distracted from positivity and numerous fearful and anxious thoughts seized him. This was when Hanumanji looks towards the whole army of Sugreev and says, “Don’t be perplexed, there is no need to fear...” Some commentators of the Ramayan have glorified this sentence. One such I reproduce here: These statements and deeds are befitting to the fame of Hanuman to ward off any evil force. The sanctity of this (Rsyamuka) mountain and a no-entry to Vali at this place (owing to a curse) is explained ... is what Hanumanji alludes to as well.

Having thus attained their clarity and quiet, Hanumanji then Sugreev asks Hanumanji to go find out the intentions of the two men in bark who are approaching the Rsyamuka. As Pujya Guruji adds in a commentary: ’ Thus giving him courage, Sri Hanuman brought Lord Rama to Sugriva and established friendship between them. Lord Rama then killed Bali and Sugriva was crowned as the king of Kishkinda. Also by introducing Lord Rama to him, Hanuman gave the knowledge of Supreme Truth to Sugriva, since the Absolute Reality is the Lord Himself! Sri Hanuman expects nothing for himself and he always remains as a servant of the Lord. This is the greatness of Sri Hanuman.

But to enjoy this great moment a little more intensely, here is how Hanumanji went about it: Firstly Sugreev himself had noticed their good looks, their valiant arms and body and their bow and arrow. So he had asked Hanuman to carry forth his praises to the two men who ‘look like offsprings of gods’. Which Hanumanji does fittingly.

Hanumanji speaks to Rama and Lakshman glorifying them elaborately and introducing his master Sugreev, he says, “A gallant jewel among monkeys, Sugriva by name, whose mind is set on virtue, roams the earth. Afflicted as he is having been banished by his elder brother, Vali. Sent by that high minded Sugriva, king of the leaders of monkeys, I, a monkey, Hanuman by name, have sought you. The said pious minded Sugriva actually seeks your friendship, Know me to be his minister, a monkey born of Vayu, the wind-god, here to oblige Sugriva and disguised as a recluse, capable of acting and going anywhere as I please...”
And it was after this long, elegant, powerful presentation by Hanuman that Rama tells Lakshmana, “To speak in the manner he has done is not possible for one who has not studied the Rg Veda, or memorised the Yajur, or does not have knowledge of the Sama Veda!” And Rama then urges Lakshmana to ‘answer in sweet words and affection, this monkey.’

Following this Lakshmana tells Hanuman, :The virtues of Sugriva are known to us Oh learned monkey, we are looking for that very Sugriva, O excellent Hanuman we will do as you say...’ and thereafter Hanumanji negotiated a meeting and an alliance between his employer and his Master-to-be, Rama.

Some more interesting moments in this Canto: Hanuman’s eloquent praise of the 2 princes goes on and one and not one is said in between by Rama and Lakshmana, so that Hanuman actually stops to say. :Why do you not answer me, even though I have been uttering your praises?”

One commentator has this to say, “Rama is following his own Imperial protocol of assessing the person approaching on his own, who is talking like this one, and who has high knowledge of all the scriptures.”

Then again we see that after all this Rama does not dialogue directly with Hanuman at this stage. Many people feel sad that Rama chose to speak through Lakshmana... but there seems to be another reason as well. It is said that Lakshmana was very adept with words, just like Hanuman, and was as knowledgable as Hanuman in the scriptures; that is why Rama gets Lakshmana to speak with Hanuman.

Equally, Rama has heard Hanuman keenly and thence derived the conclusion that an envoy who speaks so well, who is so learned and elegant definitely has an employer or master who is virtuous as well.

Now Lakshmana says, “we too are looking for Sugriva....”

Why were Rama and Lakshmana looking for Sugriva?

Soon after their encounter with Surpanakha, the princes ran into – and quite suddenly – a demon named Kabandha (headless torso), who was once a good looking gandharva but who angered Indra who hammered his head into his body, and instead gave him a mouth in the stomach. The curse went on to declare that only when he was killed by Rama that he would regain his gandharva form.

And that is what happened. In his regained form, Kabandha, now Vishvavasu told Rama that to find Sita He would need the help of the vanara king Sugriva. He then adds the plight of Sugriva caused by his older brother Vali... Kabandha was the one who told Rama to help Sugriva get his kingdom back. “Don’t underestimate this hero...” he said. “He is valorous, brilliant, bright, disciplined, intelligent and firm, daring and strong....” and Kabandha described the glory of Sugriva...and gave Rama the directions to Rsyamuka. And he added, “Make him your friend. Don’t underestimate him because he is a Vanara. This hero, will be grateful for he needs your help.” Sugriva, he added knew every nook and cranny, and this would help find Sita....Kabandha was the one who told Rama about Sage Matanga’s hermitage and Shabari who was awaiting Rama...and thus the Matangavana to the east of which was Rsyamuka!

(We already saw in the introduction notes to this Hanuman Chalisa mananam, that when Vishnu Bhagavan agreed to come down to earth to destroy Ravana, all the devas, overwhelmed by the support of Vishnu, decided to assume forms that were man or monkey to aid Bhagavan in war.)
Indra and Surya begot Vali and Sugriva whose legal father was Riksharaj,.King of rkshas. (Rksha is a term used for both bears and monkeys). The Valmiki Ramayan elaborates that a number of devas had rksha sons in anticipation of the battle of Lanka. This was because Ravana had asked for a boon of invincibility from almost all creatures but he left out monkeys and men.
One such rksha son was Nala, son of a deva named Vishwakarma. He was the one who helped build the Rama Sethu!
That explains why Rama and Lakshmana were looking for Sugriva!

But at the time they were looking for Sugriva, the latter was in deep sorrow, wife abducted, kingdom lost, false charges of betrayal on his head and older brother baying for his blood. So that Sugriva ran away fro Kishkinda and hid in the Rshyamuka hills.

The analogy of this is not lost to us; Vali was the karma from which Sugriva was running away or let us say, his karma was chasing him. Even with Hanuman by his side Sugriva could nt have killed Vali. The karmas are destroyed only by the Lord. But Hanuman engineers this for us. Finally karmas are dissolved when we unite with Bhagawan, when we meet Bhagawan, when we drop the Ego and jiva space is dissolved into Brahman, -- one can take the interpretation as is suitable.

That is how Hanuman enabling the meeting of Sugriva with Rama is upkar. Not just meeting but they were united in friendship.
In this meeting Lord Rama’s offer of friendship in the presence of the fire god is to be seen as Bhagawan promising to remove the fears and anxieties of Sugriva. The removal of fears is abhaya daanam, what we really want from the Lord. The removal of fear is the dawn of knowledge... so the meeting with Rama was necessarily the dawn of knowledge for Sugriva, hence another major service rendered by Hanuman.

And that is all we need. Our prayer to Hanuman is for this union with the Lord, the removal of anxieties, fears, the removal of ignorance therefore...so we invoke Hanumanji again and again to enable this union with the Lord. (Yet we know, Ram duaare tum rakhvare, hot na aagya binu paisaare...)..!

Hari Om.
meera

Postby Padmaja » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Dear Meera ji
Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks for a beautiful post. I liked the analogy you presented -

"The analogy of this is not lost to us; Vali was the karma from which Sugriva was running away or let us say, his karma was chasing him. Even with Hanuman by his side Sugriva could nt have killed Vali. The karmas are destroyed only by the Lord. But Hanuman engineers this for us. Finally karmas are dissolved when we unite with Bhagawan, when we meet Bhagawan, when we drop the Ego and jiva space is dissolved into Brahman, -- one can take the interpretation as is suitable"
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Hari Om

Thank you Meeraji for your brilliant analysis of verse 16. The following statements from your analysis give us the gist of this verse.

"The removal of fears is abhaya daanam, what we really want from the Lord. The removal of fear is the dawn of knowledge... so the meeting with Rama was necessarily the dawn of knowledge for Sugriva, hence another major service rendered by Hanuman".

"Our prayer to Hanuman is for this union with the Lord, the removal of anxieties, fears, the removal of ignorance therefore...so we invoke Hanumanji again and again to enable this union with the Lord".

Any one who has any difficulties or has lost anything in life, can get it back with Hanumanji’s grace. Sitadevi lost her beloved Ram, Lakshmana had almost lost his life and Sugreeva lost his kingdom; Hanumanji helped each one of them get back what they lost.

As Padmajaji mentioned, the analogy between Vali chasing Sugrivaa and law of karma and how karma can be dissolved i.e by union with Bagavan, stands out in your explanation.

Swami Swaroopaanandaji explained this aspect in his discourse very nicely. Vaali, who was always behind Sugreeva represents our karma – the destiny of our past deeds. Wherever we run, our destiny will always follow us. There is only one place where our karma cannot trouble us. Sugriva was hiding at Rishyamukh. This means that if we see Rishis or Saints, by being in Satsang or such gatherings, our problems do not haunt us. We may have lot of problems at home/office, but then, when we are at the Satsangh, we forget all our problems. They do not go away altogether; they are staying on top of our foot wear, which we leave outside. The moment we come out and put them on, they are ready to catch us again.

When we immerse our minds in Satsang, we think of our Guru. Hanumanji represents Shriguru. Even if we cannot reach the Lord ourselves, the Shriguru will be able to bring the Lord to us and when we see the Lord, then we are rid of the bondage of Karma.

Anekajanma sampraapta karma bandhair vimuchyate
Aatma GYanana pradhaanena, tasmai shrii gurave namaH.

There are many bonds that are caused by the karmas of millions of births. A shriguru helps to free oneself from these bonds, by imparting the knowledge of the God within oneself. Many salutations to that shriguru.

Hanumanji helped Sugreeva, by bringing the Lord to him and helped him to get rid of his karma.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Veer Maruti Gambhir Maruti song from Pujya Guruji (follows New Year song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MdKiQkF5VU
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Hari Om!

Thank you Padmaja... that bhajan by Pujya Guruji is always so heartwarming... the way Guruji's eyes dance during this bhajan is pure joy!
Thank you for posting...
meera

Postby meera » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Hari Om!

OM JAMADAGNYA MAHADARPPA DALANAYA NAMAHA

ॐ जमदाग्न्य महादर्प्पा दलनाय नमः

Obeisances to Sri Rama, the One who shattered the pride of Parasurama!

Hari Om...
meera

Postby meera » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Hari Om,

Pranaam!

Forgive me for being late....

Verse 17

तुम्हारो मंत्र विभीषण माना
लंकेस्वर भए सब जग जाना ||१७||

tumharo mantra vibheeshana maana|
Lankeswar bhae saba jaga jaana
||

Vibhishana heeded your advice. The entire world knows that he became the king of Lanka.

But we will wonder, why did Vibhishan heed Hanuman’s advice? Was Hanuman plotting? If not what was his driver in drawing Vibhishan to Rama? What had Rama to do with Vibhishan who was after all Ravana’s brother! Did Rama make him King of Lanka in exchange for classified information on Lanka? Was Vibhishan then a traitor and is Rama aiding and abetting with a traitor? Therefore was ‘all fair’ in Rama’s art of warfare? Where from did this bond between Rama and Vibhishan have its roots? And even so, what was the motivator for Hanumanji?

Then again, Rama can give counsel, as He is even now doing. But what enables the assimilation and receipt of the counsel? Do I get the benefit of His mantra just by asking for it? What do I have to bring to the table? Do I get because I ask or is there something more I need to manifest?

Afterall we are asking everyday for such inane worldly safety too...so when is an act of giving in fact complete? When there is anukulasya sankalpah (yearning thoughts for Bhagawan) to begin with and surrender at the end!

So the lessons here are not as simple as someone bowing before the Lord...Vibhishan’s becoming King or his coronation as King of Lanka was founded on love, greater good and the commitment of the Lord.

Vibheeshan was the younger brother of Ravana, King of Lanka. Right from a very young age it is said he was a devotee of Lord Rama. It must be understood that the three brothers Ravan, Vibheeshan and Kumbhakaran had very vedic upbringing, studied under very good teachers, but each was differently disposed owing to his individual vasanas, whose outcome we see play out in the Ramayan.

That is how there is a thought that each of us have R,V and K in us. Ravan represents the Rajas, Vibheeshan the Satwa and Kumbhakaran the Tamas. Ponder...

When the three brothers performed intense tapas and Brahmaji came to each to ask for what boons he wanted, Ravana asked that he should not die, nobody whould be able to kill him; in short he wanted to remain on earth forever. And when Brahmaji regretted saying he could not grant immortality to anyone, Ravana then said, “... in that case, except for man and monkey who are too weak anyway to do anything to me, nobody should be able to kill me.” Kumbhakarna said, he would like to be left at peace to sleep 6 months of the year. Vibhishana wanted only pure, unbroken love for Bhagawan’s lotus feet.

“This is the dawn of anukulasya sankalpah!

In fact it was Vibhishan’s pure humility and goodness that assured Ravana that he could be made a minister in his court as he did not see Vibhishan as a threat to his kingship. The cherry on the icing was that Vibhishan was also timid. He did not have the courage (mind level) to resist Ravana or break free from him (action level) or condemn his actions (word level). Vibhishan had a misplaced sense of loyalty and filial love so that he felt that if he remained devoted to the Lord then it did not matter what Ravana did or that he stayed in the palace of his corrupt brother and partook of his bounties. (We see a bit of the Ratnakar (the dacoit) syndrome, here.) Hence Vibhishan lacked pratikulasya varjanam – courage to resist evil.

So what we see is that mere anukulasya sankalpah is not enough. Often we say ‘I pray to Bhagavan so much, I am so devout yet my life is a mess...’ Maybe we lack pratikulasya varjanam, we lack the courage to protect the weak, to condemn the corrupt, to uplift the downtrodden, to be kind to labour and service staff...(being kind is not being rude. Being rude is an expression of our sense of superiority whereby we look down on another. By being kind we resist our tendency to be rude...when we resist our tendency to be rude we practice pratikulasya varjanam in a small way! Q.E.D.)

When Hanumanji came to Lanka braving Surasa and Lankini, he went about looking for Sita-ma and wondered where he should begin finding her. And then he passed by a home with a temple outside, and in the outer courtyard he saw a Tulasi Plant. He wondered whose home this could be, in a land of asuras...when suddenly he also heard Ram naam chanted. That was Vibhishana’s house and it was him waking up chanting the Lord’s name!

Quoting from Sunderkaand: “Hanuman was delighted at heart to find a virtuous soul. “I shall make acquaintance with him ...; for one’s cause would never suffer at the hands of a good man....” We can always be sure that a true bhakta, will protect and care for us.”

Hanuman thus resolved, assumed the form of a brahmana and called out to Vibhishana. Hanuman ji, as we see, took the initiative to befriend Vibhishan, as he appeared to be a good person. Pujya Guruji says, a good person (sadhu) is a) one who helps others accomplish their tasks, b) who does not harm others by his thought word or deed.

Hearing him, Vibhishana came out and greeted him in most pleasant and humble manner befitting of a good devotee. These were his precise words, “Tell me all about you, holy sir. Are you one of Sri Hari’s own servants? My heart is filled with exceeding love at your sight. Or are you Sri Rama Himself, a loving friend of the poor, who have come to bless me (by your sight)?””

Here Kamban brings a very poetic and beautiful angle when he says about Hanuman’s thoughts about Vibhishan, “He thought that Dharma itself had taken shape and was living in a rakshasa body in order to escape detenction and destruction at the hands of the rakshasas of Lanka...”

Hanumanji introduces himself as a Sri Ram’s devotee and narrated Rama’s story to Vibhishan and asked him how one so devout as himself was living in a land of demons? Vibhishan’s response is sweet and brings a smile to anyone who reads it:

सुनहु पवनसुता रहनि हमारी , जिमी दसनन्हि महुँ जीभ बिचारी
तात कबहुँ मोहि जानी आनाथा, करिहहिं क्रपा भानुकुल नाथा (sunder kaand 7:1)

sunahu pavanasuta rahani hamari, jimi dasananhi mahu jibha bicari
taata kabahu mhi jaani anaatha, karihahi krpa bhaanukula naatha
(sunder kaand 7:1)

Hear, O son of the wind-god, how I am living here: my plight is similar to that of
the poor tongue, that lives in the midst of the teeth.

Will the Lord of the solar race, dear friend, ever show His grace to me, knowing me to be masterless?
And Vibhishan goes on in many words to glorify and praise the Lord of his devotion. In reply Hanumanji reassures him that ‘We may forget the Lord, but He never forgets us!’ And belittling his own self he says,

अस मैं अधम सखा सुनूँ मोहू पर रघुबीर
कीन्ही कृपा सुमिरि गुण भरे बिलोचन नीर

Listen, my friend: though I am so wretched, the Hero of थे Raghus race has shown His grace even to me !” And his eyes filled with tears as he recalled the Lord’s virtues and adds, ‘Even to me the Lord is benevolent and kind and generous...then why won’t He shower His grace upon you?’“

And thus the two devotees, stood on the porch of the house each glorifying their Lord, praising His greatness, His love, His compassion...tears gushing down their faces.

It was at this stage that Hanumanji touches a tender spot in Vibhishan and tells him to help that very Lord of his devotion find Sita. Now you have to serve Lord Rama by doing His work! Vibhishan in turn tells him where Sita-ma was and how Hanuman may get there.

Here it will be worthy to hear Guruji’s words, “It is not only important to be good, but also to do good. Hanumanji inspired Vibhishan to do good. It is not enough to just chant the Lord’s name but we should also do the <ord’s karma (work) and thereby spread His vibhuti (glories). .... Hanumanji served as Vibhishan’s guru who guided him to serve the Lord. This gave Vibhishan greater strength in his spiritual practices and to live his spiritual life uncompromisingly.”

What that means is that Vibhishan who until now only exerted anukulasya sankalpah, ie had noble and auspicious thoughts of worship and devotion, now reached the second level, where he developed the courage to practice pratikulasya varjanam, resist and condemn evil. This we see when he although until now was only telling his brother Ravana to let Sita go, but was himself unable to do anything about it, now is able to tell Hanuman her whereabouts and help in her rescue.

Vibhishan’s character is visible to us at every stage. Another time we get to see his nobility is when Ravana orders that the monkey be pit to death. Thsi was when Hanuman is caught. Vibheeshana gently points out to Ravana that the messenger should never be shot/killed. As Kamban says, “Even the Gods will mock us if we resorted to this lowness. And these men (referring to Rama and Lakshmana) did not kill our sister but only maimed her despite her ways. If we kill them now how will the enemy know and fear our power and strength?”

The next time was when the war council met after Lanka had been burnt. Then Vibhishana urges Ravana to send Sita back to Rama. Indrajit mocks Vibhishana at this point, but Vibhishana shushes him with words like this: ‘You are too young to join in this debate, so stay away. You do not know the consequences of your ideas...’ and he continues to urge Ravana telling him that Rama and Lakshman were in fact Bhagawan in 2 bodies.... But Ravan rubbishes Vibhishana’s request and after many repeated attempts, Malyavanji—their great grandfather supports Vibhishan’s advice and asks Ravan to listen to wisdom. At this point Ravan asks the guards to remove both of them from the court.

This transformation in Vibhishan where he begins to tell Ravana the errors of his ways, where he admonishes him for sinning, “Ravana you acted on bad thoughts when you kidnapped Sitaji; Return her to Rama to whom she belongs...Surrender to Rama... that is best!” Here we see Vibhishan is able to both promote what is right and also resist what is wrong. He has thus acted upon the advice that Hanuman gave him, not just heard it.

This is the ‘mantra’ that the verse refers to. Tumharo mantra Vibhishana maana...The mantra here refers to the advice, counsel – ‘It is not enough to be good, but to also do good; it is not enough to merely chant His name but its also important to DO His work....’ and it is His work that Vibhishan now enables. So that towards the end he tells Ravan,

रामु सत्यसंकल्प प्रभु सभा कालबस तोरी
मैं रघुबीर सरन अब जाऊं देहु जनि कोरी ||41|| Sunderkand

Sri Rama is true to His resolve and all-powerful; while your councillors are all doomed. I, therefore, now betake myself to the Hero of Raghu’s line for protection; blame me no more.” (41)

And then Vibhishana goes across to Rama’s camp with the intention to surrender, take refuge in Him. Seeing him approach the general mood was to beware. Many cautioned Rama to watch out as this was the arch enemy’s brother.

But Vibhishana had come with the firm faith that the Lord will receive him and protect him. He had already been a devotee, but a devotee in doubt for he did not think that Rama would protect a rakshasa, the brother of the man who had taken away His wife. Recall his words of prayer to Hanuman, “Will Lord Rama protect me? This body is made of tamoguna, I do not have enough spiritual practices, and my heart is is not filled with great devotion...” In other words Vibhishana is saying, “what is so special about me that Rama will take me under His protection? But he was also not placing any importance on his sadhanas...although he was a deeply devout person! And then he tells Hanuman, “A great person and bhakta like you, came on your own to my home and narrated the Lord’s story to me... I did not call you! Isn’t this grace too? Isn’t this the Lord’s doing?”
But Hanuman had reassured him about Rama’s unfailing love and compassion... And Vibhishan had accepted his words in faith...

................and exactly this Vibhishan was to witness as Rama said to the protesting vanaras, “Every jiva is a part of me; he separates from me chasing the world... but I do not forget him... “I will not abandon even the murderer of myriads of Brahmanas, if he seeks refuge in Me. The moment a creature turns its face towards Me the sins incurred by it through millions of lives are washed away. A sinner by his very nature is averse to My worship. Had Vibhishana been wicked at heart, could he ever dare to approach Me? That man alone who has a pure mind can attain to Me; I have an aversion for duplicity, wiles and censoriousness. Even if Ravana has sent him to find out our secrets, we have nothing to fear or lose ....... And if he has sought shelter with Me out of fear, I will cherish him as My own life......

Bhagawan taught His army the fundamentals of Surrender, when He says, "Whosoever surrenders totally to Me, will never be abandoned for any reason and will always be protected by Me."

Pujya Guruji says, “A child may leave home in anger but the mother never forgets her child and she waits for him to come back some day!”

And when Vibhishan came closer to land and saw the Lord, his heart melted and gushed forth uncaring of any fear. His surrender was now complete in his mind...in fact there was no mind... there was only one thought, singlepointed Rama... Here Vibhishana completes his surrender when he experiences the last 2 factors of saranagati... falling at the Lord’s feet and confessing one’s helplessness. Here we see a truth which often misses us. In prayer we keep saying help me, help me, give me, I want this... but we are genuinely unable to say, “ I am greedy Bhagavan, that is why I want more and more. This vasana of mine is inextinguishable, you please cure me,” or, “I feel such anger and hatred just now Bhagawan... I don’t know what to do (karpanya), you take it away... I don’t want this...” Confessing one’s weakness, one’s dirt, one’s smallness... is very very tough, but opens the door to complete surrender.

And Lord Rama embraced Vibhishan in complete acceptance, love and absorption. The union is complete we can see. The surrender and acceptance are simultaneous.

And Bhagawan’s famous words pours forth,
कहु लंकेस सहित परिवारा, कुसल कुठाहर बास तुम्हारा...
‘O Lankesa! Is all well with you?’

That’s all! Just these words – where Bhagawan addresses Vibhishan as Lankes... had declared the end of Ravana! (Guruji says, “Whomsoever Bhagava ordains with a title, certainly attains it!”)

Then those words were followed by a very sharp question: Living in a place like Lanka how did you manage to maintain your spiritual practice?”

These words are potent. Very very very potent. I would even say the coronation of Vibhishan is not as King, but as a very good sadhaka! For Vibhishan living with a tyrant like Ravan in a whole country of demons and then to be consistent with his sadhana is remarkable. We struggle with our sadhana even in the face of work or children or guests or tiredness! There is something here. Of course, sustaining one’s sadhana is also His grace...

Bhagawan then tells Vibhishan: You are a noble soul, hence you are extremely dear to me. Only saints of your type are dear to Me; for the sake of none else do I take a body ....

Morari Bapu makes a very poignant observation. He says Bhagawan takes an avatar not for destroying evil. Why does He need to do that? He can do the destruction anyway! He takes avatar to come and see His very noble and devout devotees, for the sants and the good souls...He gives the example of a man who writes to a friend who lives abroad saying come to India, I want to see you... but the friend is so busy with his business that he does not come...several times the man pleads but he has no time. Then one day the man’s daughter is getting married, so he writes to his friend and says “This is the only and big function in my home. I have only one daughter, if you don’t come, I will be so sad!” The overseas friend is touched and he comes, taking 3 weeks off from work etc. Now when he is in India, he says ok now that I have come, let me also check on my old house and clean it up, there will be cobwebs and dust... so he takes 2 days to go there cleans up his house as well, but in fact, he came for the man’s daughter’s wedding, you see? Likewise when Bhagawan takes avatar, he does it to visit the sant-jan and incidentally cleans up His house of dur-jan as well!!!

Guruji resonates with this through these words: “To protect people like you is the purpose of my incanration!” Or: ............. for the sake of none else do I take a body ....!

Vibhishan wanted no name or fame or wealth or anything, he just wanted to be at the Lord’s lotus feet... nothing had changed in his desires since the day as a young prince he had done tapas and to Brahma he said, Just give me unswerving abidance at the Lord’s feet...! Through thick and thin, joy and sorrow, Vibhishan’s goal remained unchanged.

So Bhagawan wanted to give him something and said, “Take care of Lanka, the people have suffered too much...” And thus Lankeswar bhaye sab jag jaana! The coronation of Vibhishana is verily the saranagati of Lanka!

Hari Om!
meera

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas