Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby meera » Sat May 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Hari Om Vanaja,

Very very nice explanation of the chanchalatwam of the mind and the analogy with the monkey...
A lot of this can be seen as literary creativity...which is also fascinating...I like it all, all..... alll!
Wonderful...

Hari Om...
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:34 am

Hari Om

When I was browsing the CIF website, under the For Thoughts section, i came acrosss the following statement and i am unable to understand it. Kindly explain.

Fascinating how an action directed to the divine generates negativity within us and the same action directed towards a worldly entity generates a positive sentiment.

Is there an error in the above statement published in the website.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Sun May 09, 2010 8:24 am

Hari OM Muruganji, Pranams.

I think they are talking about people who don't know that 'worship of idol' is really 'worship of ideal'. Whenever somebody talks about 'worship of God', it fills them with negativity, however those same people are very positive when it comes to worship of movie stars and sports team. In workplaces they may keep pictures of family members and their dogs however keeping picture of God does not go well with them.
===========================================================================================
http://worship.chinmayavishwavidyapeeth.in/forthought.html
“Just sit down, fold your hands, close your eyes and be QUIET!” says the typical parent to the typical child when the time for worship comes.

Is this really what worship is all about? If yes, perhaps those who do not engage in such practices are better off. If no, what is worship then…?

Whenever we come across the term worship we tend to think of rituals, idols, and an all around atmosphere we simply cannot relate to. Yet, when the same term is qualified by the name of a sports team, an actress or a musician we attribute worship as a healthy experience.

Fascinating how an action directed to the divine generates negativity within us and the same action directed towards a worldly entity generates a positive sentiment.

===========================================================================================
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 am

Hari Om Muruganji, Padmaja...

The worldly idol usually has flaws as well, and I the 'worshipper' permit that flaw because that is what makes the idol lovable. Tiger Woods' tresspasses shook the worshipper for a while, then he turned around and apologised and the worshipper felt, 'hey look he is apologising, he admits he is not perfect... of course we can't be perfect... (and then)..he is so so so like me!'

Our idols are mostly people in whom we see a part of us or what we ourselves want to be. And when an idol fails, we want to forgive because we don't want to lose our idol. Like a favorite car gets dented, we repair it, touch it up and pat it and say, 'its fine now'.

The 'its fine now' state is where we live. We err, fall, scrape our knees, but inherently we want to be able to stand up and start running again. As long as we are able to revert to the state of 'fine', we are ok. Which is why we forgive our idols their falls. Unless, the idol falls far below our own threshold of bad. Usually what we forgive an idol is what we want to be forgiven too. And what we don't forgive an idol is what we will never never forgive too.

Then again, idols with faults and flaws is also a sign of our times where the struggle for success is so much that we celebrate success much more than the means adopted. And we sense it in our lives too.... the struggle is disproportionately huge compared to what results we get.

Therefore a human idol -- sportstar, film star etc -- are human and approachable and achieveable. If my film idol errs like I do, yet I like him for all that he is which I hope to be, then I am also saying that those errors must be forgiven on the path to the greater achievements, for we too want to be similarly forgiven and allowed to grow.

But with a God, the problem is His perfection which I cannot visualise because I do not know what is perfect, nor do I believe it is possible. That is why we say, "But I am human!" or 'I am not God!'

Which seeks to say, 'dont judge me, don't seek perfection in me because even you are not perfect!' And equally I deny such a perfect God and challenge the believer and say, "If your God is so great, then why is there poverty, pain and death?' That is our way of saying, "I cannot be perfect, so stop bothering me...'

So I like that observation about worship: we can't tell a child, sit down close your eyes and pray...' It totally does not make any sense. Worship should be of virtues. And as humans we can learn to put these virtues into practice in our young. Include in their lives a small module of interaction with people who are lesser. Equally include in your own life a small module where you give what you usually struggle to give: time, money.

Take the young to visit and play with disabled children, share their time and toys with them, love them, enjoy in their company. This is worship. Take the children to the homes for the old and invalid and teach them to play ludo with them, read to them, share a story with them... this is worship... and this worship is credible when I the parent am as excited about this form of worship as I want my child to be. But if I cringe on seeing dirt, sickness, a mouth frothing with saliva that cannot be controlled, a body with an inability to control its movements, a person who is not as 'perfect' as I am..... how can I teach worship?

There are homes where children do not appreciate gifts they receive, and parents themselves comment on the gifts as being, "cheap, useless, thoughtless..." If the grown up does not worship a value, how can a child?

So worship needs a better definition...and until then I will worship what is closer to me in quality.

This is how people view idols.....

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Sun May 09, 2010 11:17 am

Hari Om!

The world celebrates today as Mother's Day.

The devotion of one who is like a son to a lady who is like a mother is very very heart wrenching, for in him the mother sees a son she wants, and in her the son sees the source and bounties of love that he would love to worship....

Such was the glory of Hanuman who worshipped Sita-ma out of a love that is incomparable...
we already saw earlier on in our mananam how Hanumanji addressed Sitaji as 'Mata'....and she addressed him as 'Suta'... for the love of a child for a mother and the love of a woman for a child is what matrtva (mamta) is..

Now here is one more glory of the mother child love: When Hanumanji was talking to Sita-ma and telling her who he was etc...Sita-ma spoke with tears in her eyes about her suffering, glad in a way to have met someone who worshipped her husband and Lord. Hanuman could not bear the sight of her suffering. In his words below, is our offering to our mothers....words of love, consolation and our service...

"Mother!" he exclaimed, "I shall go at once and bring back Rama. He will descend on Lanka with a mighty army. But why should you suffer any longer? If you are agreeable, sit on my back. I shall carry you across the ocean and restore you in a moment to Rama. Do not for a moment doubt my ability to do this. As Agni carries the sacred offerings to Indra, so shall I transport you to my Lord Rama. Permit me, O pure of heart, to do this service. I can not only carry you and restore you to Rama, but I have the power to wrench Lanka from its foundations and throw it and its ruler at Rama's feet! Sit on my back now and, like Rohini rejoining the Moon, you will rejoin Rama. As I sprang and came here, so shall I spring and reach the other shore with you."

Glories to Hanuman, Glory to our mothers this day...
meera

Postby Padmaja » Sun May 09, 2010 11:37 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Meeraji, Umaji, Vanajaji and all mothers here, a very happy mothers day to you. Happy mother's day to Lord also since he is our mother.. :-)
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sun May 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Dear Meeraji, Hari Om. Pranams.

"Service as worship" "Taking a child to play with disabled child to inculcate good virtues", is noble and great. However, I don't see anything wrong in asking the child to sit down, close eyes and pray to introduce worship. I think, God is more than just 'goodness' and 'virtues'. He is way more than that. We see names and forms outside. This whole world is just that, names and forms. We are totally stuck in these and nothing is going to come out of that. It's like shuffling around same material and crying over it ...Oh no...now this form is gone..that name is gone..this one is broken..and that one is changing..what else is going to come out of that? No end to it. God is not to be found in those. A potter may teach his child to take care of fragile pots and fixing the broken ones however he will also introduce the child to clay. Without knowing clay how would the child know pots? Closing eyes and praying is introducing the child to "turn inwards". That small step taken in early childhood will go long ways, to show him that there is existence and consciousness beyond these names and forms. There is hope !!! There is something that doesn't perish !!! That will help him understand nature of everything. After growing up, in times of difficulty, when no one is around, he will not feel alone and helpless, he will sit quietly, close his eyes and will pray. So I think teaching how to pray is very important. Since CIF has written that they must have reasons. I am still studying and there is lot to learn for me...I don't know anything..however really I don't see anything wrong in that...

meera wrote:Hari Om Muruganji, Padmaja...
So I like that observation about worship: we can't tell a child, sit down close your eyes and pray...' It totally does not make any sense. Worship should be of virtues. And as humans we can learn to put these virtues into practice in our young. Include in their lives a small module of interaction with people who are lesser. Equally include in your own life a small module where you give what you usually struggle to give: time, money.

Take the young to visit and play with disabled children, share their time and toys with them, love them, enjoy in their company. This is worship. Take the children to the homes for the old and invalid and teach them to play ludo with them, read to them, share a story with them... this is worship... and this worship is credible when I the parent am as excited about this form of worship as I want my child to be. But if I cringe on seeing dirt, sickness, a mouth frothing with saliva that cannot be controlled, a body with an inability to control its movements, a person who is not as 'perfect' as I am..... how can I teach worship?
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sun May 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Hari Om Padmaja,
Pranaam...

I accept your point of view.

Hari Om...
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Hari Om

Thank you for the clarifications and explantions on my query.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 am

Hari Om Meeraji
I am looking forward to progressing with the next doha.
Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Fri May 14, 2010 1:03 am

Hari Om!

Glory to Lord Rama, God, Guru and Master of Hanumanji...!

Om Janakivallabhaya namah!
Prostrations to the Lord of Mother Janaki

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today we will look at the first line of verse 2

रामा दूत अतुलित भल दामा
räma düta atulita bala dhämä |

You are Lord Rama’s messenger, ambassador, the repertoire of immense strength.

Hanumanji has been the bridge between 2 sets of people in many parts of the Ramayan. This is verily his role it would seem. The first time we see him act as messenger or ambassador – even if secretively to begin with – for Vanar King Sugriva in the Kishkinda forest, in bhikshurupam. There he hides his ministerial appearance so well (as minister in Sugriva’s ministry surely he wore jewelled clothes etc) and donned the appearance of a Brahman. (But then Hanuman ji is known for his capability with changing forms!
The next time is (based on only that which I know; am sure there may be more) – when Hanumanji takes Lord Rama’s message to Sita-ma in Ashokvana. There too he assumes a very tiny form and then expands himself to prove to Ma that he is in fact not a tiny helpless one, but capable and strong. Next he takes Lord Rama’s message to Ravana himself asking him to release Sita ma from captivity and to himself turn inward and seek the Lord within his heart.

Let us give this ‘messenger’ role a little different attention: The above 3 may be ‘historical’ facts in a manner of speaking. But think of how many times Hanumanji comes to us (seekers, bhaktas...) bringing the Lord’s message of love, guidance, strength, patience, instruction, rebukes, counsel, comfort, help...! These are countless.... ! We saw Hanumanji as Rama duta when he meets Vibhisana. Personally I found this episode poignant. Searching Lanka for Sita ma, Hanumanji espied a house outside which was a tulsi plant... and he thought, Ah, here is a bhakta...who may it be in this land of sin? And presently he sees Vibhisana come out of the house and he asks him who he is. When he sees that Vibhisana is a bhakta, Hanumanji is delighted and he gives him the message of saranagati... (of course after due discussion...)

This is how Hanumanji delivers the Lord’s love, I feel. He goes around, spots a bhakta, and figures out what his need is (that will strengthen his bhakti) and gives him that message. Just as he gave Vibhisana the message of Saranagati...

To Sita ma he gave the message of the Lord’s love and remembrance; to Ravana he delivers the message of the Lord’s compassion first (hand over Sita-ma and the Lord is kind enough to forgive you) followed by the Lord’s strength (if you do not hand over Sita-ma, your end is a certainty) ...and so on.

The other crucial aspects of being a messenger/ambassador are a) completion of task – delivering no matter what b) in a manner that is acceptable to the Master whose message you are taking/delivering c) ensuring that you also keep both eyes open to messages that need to be taken back to the Master, therefore efficient data collection and reporting.

Often we are asked to go and tell someone something and we do it mindlessly so that when we return and are asked ‘what did he say?’, we are foxed; we did not even think that we are supposed to take feedback! Like when we are told ‘Go and submit this application for a telephone connection, (say)’ and we do that and when we come home we are asked, “Oh, good, but when did he say the connection will come?” we have no answer 

Hanumanji not only took a message for Ravana and for Sita ma, he also wandered around and took in every detail of how the country was laid out, where the palaces were located, how the subjects lived, how the inner rooms of the palace were laid out, where was Sita ma’s exact location, and even in the way he engaged with the people, Hanumanji’s data collection or fact finding exercise continued in very sharp manner. This is the role of an ambassador or messenger, especially in a political sense, to be able to return with the soft qualities of the place which cannot be otherwise quantified or found recorded anywhere.

Then of course actually delivering the message. What kind of messenger is he who takes the message and sets out but seeing demons and terrorists, turns back and returns saying, “Sorry, nahi ho paya...”? Hanumanji is also successful in the face of all kind of odds. Be it demons and rakshasas or even safe looking people. Like when he is in Kishkinda with Sugriv upon a tree and they see these 2 brahmans coming, Sugriv tells him go find out who they are. Hanumanji also has the duty to not reveal who he is (or about Sugriva) because they are in hiding. So being a careful messenger too...yet getting the information.

Atulita bala dhama...

Atulita is a-tulita or that which cannot be compared to any other. Hanumanji’s strength is incomparable, for it was born of bhakti and was applied for the sake of others, especially his Master, Ramji... we know the source of his multiple prowess that came from each of the devas who contributed to his might so that Bhagawan’s manav avatar meant for the annihilation of Ravana would be easy, possible etc. We too have many many powers and capabilities and skills. When I think about this, I can see that we have the power of education, food, shelter, opportunity, talent, safety, ... depending on how we apply these, we will see how sharply they work for us. Everything we have is a gift from Bhagawan... ditto for Hanumanji’s skills. There are people we know who are born with the power of wealth, intelligence etc, but who unfortunately squander it away... Hanumanji shows us how to respect the gifts that life bestows upon us. Hence he is atulita...

I am born with a healthy body, that is a gift. I keep it healthy and apply it for world good or for general good, is how I keep it healthy and capable of working for me.
This is how I interpret it. I urge you all to interpret it further please...

Hari Om...
meera

Postby meera » Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

Our posts crossed by 3 minutes it appears! My apologies for the delay... am travelling yet and have had other deadlines too.. so sorry.. I expect to be more prompt hereafter..

Om..
meera

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 am

Hari Om and Pranams

Thank you Meeraji for the excellent explantion on the "Ramaduta atulita bala dhaamaa". ( By the way, I am sorry for my unwarranted reminder. In future no need for apologies please)

This doha talks about who Hanumanji is. Normally a person is associated to the most famous person in his life. For eg. Manmohansinghji's son will be refered as PM's son. Even Lord Narayana is called Lakshmipathi. Here Hanumanji is refered as "Ramaduuta" by associating him to Shri Rama.

The second name is " atulita bala dhaama" - one with unequalled strength. What is true strength, why can't Hanumanji's strength be equaled?.

Hanumanji had the Lord's own strength because he was always using his strength for the sake of others. In the seventh chapter of the Gita, Lord says "I am the strength of those strong men who are free from desire and attachment".

Pranams.
murugans61

Postby meera » Fri May 14, 2010 4:14 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

An eyeopener... never thought of this! Yes, Hanumanji is known more with reference to his Master...Your reference to the Gita w.r.t "I am the strength of those who work without attachment and desire.." is a great lesson. All abilities and skills enjoin to one who works for others or for Bhagawan...I am deeply moved by this sentence...

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Sat May 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Hari Om!

Glories to Lord Rama....

ॐ जैत्राय नमः

OM JAITRAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Triumphant
meera

Postby meera » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Hari Om!

Glories to Shri Rama!
ॐ जितामित्राय नमः
OM JITAMITRAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Conqueror of His enemies/foes

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Mon May 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Hari Om!

Let us see the next line today please...
I wish to tell you that some of these are what I have felt as a seeker and devotee. I urge you to share your thoguths on Hanuman with me...

अंजनी पुत्र पवन सुत नामा
You are mother Anjani’s son and also known as Pavan sut or son of Wind God Pavan.

Anjani Putra:
One may wonder why should we examine every word. I used to too, until I came across a 4 page dissertation on why did Vishwamitra tell Rama (on being shown the bow of Shiva which he is supposed to pick up and string...) “Pashya, putrah! (Look, son! or maybe he says Pashya Rama!)” And all that the sage seemed to be saying was, (seemed, pls) Rama see the bow. What could be the esoteric deep meaning hidden in that? And I thought it was just a turn of literary phrase... but no. I am now convinced that the habit of using more words than necessary or using words casually is a human failing. Every word in the scriptures are there especially so, with a meaning and purpose. It cannot be edited by even a single word! Not one word can be removed from there! Such is the greatness of the writer, then what to talk of the characters in the story!

So why would Tulisdas introduce Hanumanji to us as Anjani’s son and Pavan’s son? Pujya Guruji uses some fascinating explanations. Guruji says: His mother’s name was Anjani (also, Anjana), which means pure intellect. So.he was born of pure intellect, the son of a pure hearted mother.

I would like us here to examine what does it mean to be a pure hearted mother. Is the reference to the conception of the child, as a seva for the world and not out of desire to become a mother? Did she become a mother because she was the chosen medium for bringing into the world the servant of the Lord? Just as Mother Mary conceived the child Jesus? That is pure reasoning for wanting to be a mother. And it is not just conceiving and delivering; the intellect’s purity is also hugely needed for raising the child with the right values so that he can be a good servant of the Lord. Taken together the pure hearted mother with pure intellect = Anjana.

Guruji also says, “Anjana also stands for the beautifying paste that you put in your eyes. Guru’s grace (gurukrpa) is also called Anjana, by which one realizes the whole world to be Lord Rama."

Anjana is another word for kaajal. Kohl, collyrium.
In India there are so many occasions where kaajal is applied. To beautify the eyes, to ward off the evil eye, to protect and cool the eyes physically, in some cultures to protect the eyes all round, strengthen it and some also believed that it protects the eyes from the harsh rays of the sun. In some cultures in India, men wear kaajal and it is applied on them by the mother or the wife.... in some cultures, the sister-in-law applies kaajal to the eyes of the groom...

Anjan as we see has various symbolism, many of these I am not sure of. But it would seem to be a blessing in all cases. Guru’s grace is like that.
If that be the role of kaajal, and if Guruji is saying it is another name for Guru’s grace....it is the kohl that clears the vision, strengthens it and protects it from the harsh rays of the world of moha maya? So that the eyes see only the Glory of Rama in everything, just as Hanumanji saw Rama in everything?

Pujya Guruji explains Putra as: A son who saves his parents from going to hell. Various kinds of heaven and hell are described in our scriptures. One of these is called pum. A true son is one who saves his parents from suffering and misery (punnamno narakadyasmat-trayate pitaram sutah. Tasmat putra iti proktah). Such a son was Sri Hanuman. Also he brought so much fame to his parents. If not for him, who would know Anjani?"

The next identity given to Hanumanji is pavan putra....

Hanumanji was the son of the God of Wind. The role of wind in our lives cannot be underestimated. Be it day or night, the wind has to blow. It is the very essence of our existence. And like the wind which is invisible, Hanumanji too worked for Rama without showing off his effort, glorifying himself or thumping his chest. Quietly. When it is warm we can see the rays coming from the sun; when it rains we see the clouds pouring the rain to us; But we take the wind for granted. We cannot even point to its source.

The pranas serve us even during deep sleep, when the other organs that quieten. In the Ramayan, Hanumanji is referred to as prana! He verily is for he saved the life of Sita-ma, of Lakshmana and later, Bharata’s too, for when Rama was a little delayed in reaching Bharata after his 14 year exile, Rama asks Hanuman to hasten forth and reach Bharat and let him know that Rama was arriving, as Bharata had said that if Rama did not come in time, he would give up his life.
Such is Hanuman, Pavana putra, who lived up to his parents’ roles and names, did them proud and we remember them through him.

|| Jai Hanuman ||
meera

Postby uma » Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Really beautiful post Meera. Thanks for such information :)

Uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Mon May 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Hari Om. Pranams Meeraji, really nice information.

Anjan is referred as an "eye opener" because it burns eyes instantly. In marathi language also that term is used with same meaning "mazya dolyat tyane zanzanit anjan ghatle"(He put burning anjan in my eyes). Guru opens our eyes to the Truth. In Guru Stotram there is a line

Akhand-Mandalakaram vyaptam yena characharam. Tatpadam darshitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah
Ajnan timir-andhasya Jnananjan Shalakaya. Chakshur-oonmeelitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.
(My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who opened my eyes, by applying the divine collyrium of self-knowledge in my eyes, which had got blinded by the cataract of ignorance. )

What you say about "writing precise" and not long winded is also very true. Actually, Pujya Guruji has straightend me out in that regard by repeated scolding/making fun of me/frowning and I am still working on learning to write precise.

Anjan can also mean ignorance, impurity, dvaita. I heard a very beautiful nirguni bhajan written by Kabirji and sung by Kumar Gandharva.
(Kabirji is saying other than Ram(Lord, Supreme Self) everything else..is Ajnan ! ) :)

Ram Niranjan Nyara Re, Anjan Sakal Pasara Re
Anjan Utapati, Omkar, Anjan Mange Sab Bistar
Anjan Brahma Shankar Indar, Anjan Gopi Sangi Govind Re
Anjan Vani, Anjan Ved, Anjan Kiya Na Na Bhed
Anjan Vidya Path Puran, Anjan Woh Kat Kat Hi Gyan Re
Anjan Paati Anjan Dev, Anjan Ki Kare Anjan Sev
Anjan Nache Anjan Gawe, Anjan Bhesh Anant Dikhawe Re
Anjan Kahan Kahan Lag Keta, Dan Puni Tap Tirath Jeta
Kahe Kabir Koi Birla Jage, Anjan Chaadhi Anant Hi Dage Re

Translation:

Untainted Ram is Unmatched,
Manifesting the Entire Tainted (Reality)

Tainted are the Womb (of Creation) and the Om,
The Tainted Demands All Expansiveness
Tainted are Brahma, Shankra and Indra,
Tainted is the Govinda along with his Gopis

Tainted are the Spoken Words and Listening,
Tainted has Created Innumerable Distinctions
Tainted are Knowledge, the Daily Prayers and the Ancient Scriptures,
Tainted is that Questioning and Reasoning Knowledge

Tainted is the Leaf and Tainted are the Enlightened Beings,
Tainted is the Served and Tainted is the Servant
Tainted is the Singer and the Dancer,
The Tainted Displays Endless Forms

Where is the Limit, up to Which Tainted has Taken Hold?
Even in Philanthropy, Purity, Austerities and
Places of Pilgrimage, Tainted is Victorious
Says Kabir Only a Very Rare, Exceptional One Awakens,
Tainted has Left Endless Stains
Padmaja

Postby meera » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Hari Om Uma and Padmaja,

Thanks for reading...

Padmaja... the play of words between Anjan and Ajnan...
In the Gurustotram the reference is to Ajnana and anjana both! That makes it very interetsing.

Ajnan timir-andhasya Jnananjan Shalakaya. Chakshur-oonmeelitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.
(My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who opened my eyes, by applying the divine collyrium of self-knowledge in my eyes, which had got blinded by the cataract of ignorance. )

Blinded by ignorance, you have put the kaajal of knowledge (jnananjana).... how very beautiful.
Thank you for sharing.
Hari Om
meera

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas