Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby Padmaja » Mon May 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

Wow..Vanaja Amma..how amazing..Avadhoot is "one who has chosen directions as his clothes". So "Avadhoot" = "Digambar" (Dik(directions) + Ambar(cloth). Saint Shri Gajanan Maharaj of Shegaon was one such Saint who didn't wear any clothes on His body. Even if people would put anything on Him, He would just throw it away. He would drink any water muddy, dirty..He didn't care. He would eat thrown away food or no food. Once His devotees took Him to a farm to eat corn cobs but the fire that was lit disturbed honeycomb on the tree and Maharaj got covered with thousands of bees. Everybody ran away but Maharaj kept sitting there revellling in Brahman saying "Bee is Brahman, my form is Brahman, Corn is Brahman, the one who came to eat is also Brahman". Finally, He saw a devotee running towards Him and Maharaj didn't want Him to get bitten so He asked Bees to go away. The devotee wanted to call a goldsmith to pull all the stings out but Maharaj said don't worry. He did a huge kumbhak and all stings came out.
Padmaja

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Hari Om

Regarding "Swar-maruti", swar also means 'sur'. In Sanskrit the correct word for devata is "Sur". 'Asur' is used for "Rakshas". "Ra-ksha-sa" is ignorant of Self-knowledge, he is ajnani, when Self-knowledge dawns on him, he becomes the reverse of Raa-ksha-sa, i.e. "Sa-aksha-ra"!

Sur means swar (saptaswar) - 'Sa, Ri, Ga, Ma, Pa, Da, Ni'. Each swar is governed by certain devatas dwelling in our bodies which are housed at certain chakras. (Muladhara, Manipura, Ajna, Visudhi, Sahsrara, swadhistana, anahata). Devata of Sa =Ganapati, Ri = Agni, Ga = Rudra, Ma = Vishnu, Pa = Narada, Dha = Sadashiva, Ni = Sun.
vanajaravinair

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon May 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Hari Om
Thank you Padmajaji.

Amber means Aakaash also.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Wed May 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Hari Om Padmaja and Vanja-amma,

This has become very intense and interesting. Thank you for opening the mind to the depth of the meanings.

The sur-asur and ra-ksha-sa versus sa-ksha-ra (sa-akshara = with knowledge, amma? is this how we decode it?) -- these are very valuable learnings.

The glorification of Shri Gajanan Maharaj of Shegaon is also well timed. Avadhuts like Him have taken human form to brighten mankind's knowledge base...

One small question remains for both of you: given this understanding of sur = swar = the sapta swaras... does Sur Maruti mean one who is master of all sur?

If not, what else wd it mean?

Thanks for giving so much of your time to help me un derstand.
Hari Om
meera

Postby Padmaja » Wed May 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Hari Om. Pranams Meeraji...

In my opinion, Bhakti works little differently than Vedanta. It is Purush Tatra (Truth is seen the way devotee wants to..some see Hanuman, some see Ram, some see Shiva etc.) and Vedanta is Vastu Tantra (Truth is seen as-is). Bhakti is "Sadhana pradhan" and more stress is on experiencing and enjoying. It is Upasana. Praising Lord different ways, Calling Lord different ways, Seeing Lord different ways, Thinking of Lord different ways, Singing to Lord different ways..Devotee slowly raises his mind. Hence there is nothing 'set on stone' or 'hard and fast' when it comes to meanings of devotional songs. If we can relate to bhava, we get most out of it, in my humble opinion. Different people will get different things out of it and it is quite OK as long as mind dwells on Lord. (Reminds me of Pujya Guruji's story of Brahman and Maya, its about how everybody views rose flowers according to their vasanas)

Anyways, in this song I also see how one starts with something little lower, transcends it and gets to something higher by pouring devotion. Geet is inert but when sang, it becomes Sangeet. A simple doot (sevak) becomes Ramdoot. Rag(attachment) turns to Anurag(love). Veer becomes Maha-Veer. Dhoot(Pure soul) becomes Avadhoot (Brahmanishtha). Hanuman becomes Bhagvan. From Swara one goes to Ishwara (Pujya Guruji says this when He introduces Chinmaya Vibhuti project), from one sur(one note) He becomes Bharpur (that which is filled everywhere) and that is the glory of Bajarang bali Haunman Maruti. Is that what the writer wants to convey? I don't know. It could be anything but I can enjoy it that way and someone else will enjoy some other way. If he/she tells me about that meaning then I re-enjoy it that way also saying "oh yeah..so true..how nice!". Dwelling on Lord that's what that matters to a simple Devotee.

Geet Maruti, Sangeet Maruti
Doot Maruti, Ram Doot Maruti
Rag Maruti, Anurag Maruti
Veer Maruti, Mahaveer Maruti
Dhoot Maruit, Avadhoot Maruti
Hanuman Maruti, Bhagwan Maruti
Swar Maruti, Ishwar Maruti
Sur Maruti, Bharpur Maruti
Hanuman Maruti, Hanuman Maruti
Bajrang Maruti, Bajrang Maruti
What I see is, this little song makes one chant Maruti 20 times. What one can get by chanting Maruti 20 times, is way more than exploring each word in it. :)
Padmaja

Postby meera » Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Hari Om Padmaja.....

Outstanding, outstanding! "

"In this song I also see how one starts with something little lower, transcends it and gets to something higher by pouring devotion...."

Thanks so much for lifting this mind to a higher point of thinking!
Very very nice explanation... God bless you!

Hari Om
meera

Postby uma » Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 am

Hari Om.

Padmajaji, I am indeed delighted at the explanation of the bhajan. Simply superb. Loved Vanajaji's posts also.
Meera, many many thanks for opening this topic and posting lovely bhajans. :)

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby vanajaravinair » Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 am

Hari Om to all bhaktaas,

"Kshara" means that which is gradually destroyed, or gets disintegrated, and “A-kshara” means “Eternal”, "that which cannot be destroyed", etc. ‘Sa’ denotes’ good’. Saakshara literally means ‘literate’; but in a broader sense, "the one who knows the Self"; knowledgeable person or "wise"; also “enlightened”. Asur means Rakshasa; and Saakshara means "Enlightened", "Gnani", etc.

“Ratnakar” was just a ‘Ratna-aakaar’ ( in the shape of a Ratna or Gem) and a ’ Rakshasa’, who was ignorant about the Self, until he met the Saptarshis. He was enlightened (Saakshara) and became "a real Gem" - “Vaalmiki Maharshi” by chanting Rama Mantra even though he chanted in the opposite direction -“Ma-Ra-Ma-Ra.” We observe the ‘world outside’ until we meet a Guru who guides us to our “Inner world”. All the Saptaswaras came from the Pranava “Aum” (like a dispersed light ray seems to be Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red in colours). With the guidance of our Guru how we learn to go to our world within, taking a U turn from the external material world outside, so also from the Saptaswaras we go back to the Source AUM. Hanumanji helps us in this process like our Guru and from Swara we merge in the Self or Source and become one with the Iswara.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Hari Om Vanaja-amma,

Who would have thought that a lone line like Swar-Maruti, Ishwara Maruti would be loaded with almost Brahma gnyaanam!
I am so overwhelmed by your and Padmaja's care and dedication to giving us so much...

Thanks amma... such beauty in all this.. thanks so much..
Hari Om...
meera

Postby meera » Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Glories to Hanumanji

Glories to Lord Rama...

OM VISHVAMITRA PRIYAYA NAMAHA
Obeisances to Sri Rama, the Beloved of Sage Vishvamitra

May the Lord via Hanumanji, make it possible for me to write the next 2 lines as well...
Hari Om...
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Sun May 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Hari Om

In Sanskrit, "Viswamitra" means "friend of the whole Universe" (Mitrah viswasya). Sri Rama was trained by the friend of all the worlds, Sage Viswamitra.

Even Lord Rama and Lord Krishna were having Gurus, this is to show us that each one of us need a Spiritual Guru.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Sun May 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Hari Om Vanajamma,

Thank you for pointing this out. Were the reasons for Vishwasya mitraha name given to the sage for specific acts he did? Do tell Vanajamma.. if you know..very very nice shift in the mind right now..

Hari Om
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Sun May 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Hari Om

@Meeraji,

"Were the reasons for Vishwasya mitraha name given to the sage for specific acts he did?"

The answer to your above question: "I do not know, Meeraji".

Sage Viswamitra could have cursed the Rakshasas who were disturbing the yagnas; he could have waged war against them as he knew the war-tactics and the knowledge about weapons. But he preferred to teach the Rama-Lakshmanas about weapons and warfare, and made the world understand that even young boys who lived in the luxury of a palace and not accustomed to living in dense forests, where delicious dishes are not available from time to time.

Even young boys could destroy the evil-minded forces, if someone guides them to channelize their enthusiasm and energies to a proper channel. (i.e., Anyone could do it, even little boys could do it!) After listening to his Guru and having learnt everything, Sri Rama, like any 'Uttama Sishya', asked the sage to kindly explain to him as to "when and where He should to use them". This is really a very important question, according to my opinion. Because now information of so many destructive explosives may be available, and some are trained to use them. We have abundance of informations at fingertips, training, but the problem is we do not know WHEN TO USE and FOR WHAT PURPOSE.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Mon May 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Hari Om Vanaja-amma,

The point you make about Vishwamitraji enabling world peace by destroying evil forces does seem to me as appropriate reason for calling him "Friend of the World". Maybe likened a bit to Mother Theresa and Obama getting the Peace Prize.

Let's see if some other explanation comes to us from somewhere!
Thank you amma.
Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Mon May 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Hari Om!

Praised be Hanumanji!

Jai Sri Rama!

Today I will post in two parts as the psot is long and besides can be broken in two:

a. The meaning of the line : Kumati Nivara Sumati ke Sangi
b. Relationship to Shani Bhagawan.

कुमति निवार सुमति के संगी
Kumati nivaara sumati ke sangi
You dispel evil, dark thoughts and bring to bear good thoughts (= state of mind)

If one ponders on this, then more than the literal meaning of the sentence, presents itself.
Hanuman’s presence or invocation causes evil thoughts to be replaced by good thoughts also means that Hanuman cleans the dusty mirror of the mind and reveals to us Lord Rama.

Chanting of Hanuman Chalisa is recommended for all these reasons, especially when man is afflicted by difficult periods and the mind is assaulted by dark thoughts, depression, unhappiness, pessimism...

How do we understand this? How does Hanuman bring this about?

Kumati/Sumati has also been explained as elimination of illusions of the mind and a consequent bright intellect. Illusions of mind are the dualities such as raga, dvesha, lobha, moha etc. In my understanding the moment these are removed, duality is removed and what remains is the empowered, liberated intellect, shining bright.

It is the in the or owing to the presence of these dualities that the intellect is clouded and dull. This is understood in so many ways:
a. The chaos of the mind is removed as soon as the Lord is established in it
b. The confusion is removed when clarity is brought about
c. Anxiety is replaced by Sharddha
d. Anger is replaced by forgiveness and understanding
e. Rajas is replaced by a calm withdrawal of agitation and restlessness and quiet takes over.

In all cases what we see is an elimination of the turbulence, chaos and unsteady nature of the mind so that the intellect dawns, is empowered to act. Intellect at a higher level is the continuous and steady and constant establishment of Bhagawan in us.

Some of these we see played out as below:

a. Hanumanji removed Sitaji’s anxiety as she sat forlorn in Asokavan; Hanumanji presented to her Lord Rama’s crest jewel and thus re-established Her anxious mind back in Bhagawan.
b. Hanumanji removed Sugriv’s fear and insecurity as he preferred to stay hidden in the cave, unwilling to come out. Hanumanji ‘connected’ him to Lord Rama and thus established him in shraddha.
c. Vibheeshan who was floundering between his love for his brother Ravana and his devotion for Lord Rama (he was a bhakta), unable to denounce Ravana completely, yet detesting his ways, yet unable to leave the palace and go away... Hanumanji taught Vibheeshana saranagati and removed the confusion (kumati) of his mind as it remained in doubt and anxiety.

The same is seen in a ‘opposite’ manner when we see the Hanuman Ravana encounter. Ravana’s pride (mind state) was shocked with the ‘knowledge’ of Lord Rama. When Hanumanji had slayed Akshaykumar, son of Ravana and at the same time he had wreaked havoc all over Lanka, killing so many of his army and destroying the Ashok Vatika, Ravan had asked him:

कह लंकेस कवन ते कोसा
कही के बल धालेस बन खीसा

Who are you monkey, and by whose might have you wrought destruction on this grove?

These very questions Hanumanji uses to a) challenge and shake Ravana’s self pride (kumati) and b) Instal and instil the knowledge of Rama as sarvasreshth, greater than his own self assumed greatness.

By his own admission Ravana had unwittingly alluded to the fact that such greatness of strength and power was not humanly possible. So even as a glimmer of doubt that there was divinity present, arose in Ravana, Hanumanji reinforced it with (sumati) the establishment of Rama –

जाके बल लवलेस से जितेहु चराचर ज्ञार
तासुदूत मैं जiकरि हरि आनेह प्रिय नार

By an iota of whose might you were able to conquer all this creation – animate and inanimate, and whose beloved wife you have stolen, know me to be his ambassador.

There are many many such instances where we see the conquest of kumati with sumati. I request anyone who wishes to add, to pls do so. This is how I interpret kumati and sumati. I urge you to state yours, please.

There is a set of 4 shlokas in the Sundara Kandam which is called the Vijaya Ghosha and which is even chanted as a prayer or invoked, I am told by those seeking to overcome/win over any treacherous difficulty. But these were verily Hanumanji’s words to rakshasas:

जयत्यतिबलो रामो लक्ष्मणश्च महाबलः |
राजा जयति सुग्रीवो राघवेणाभिपालितः || ५-४२-३३
"Victory and long life to the mighty Rama and the powerful Lakshmana! Victory and long live the King Sugreeva, protected by Rama!"

दासोऽहम् कोसलेन्द्रस्य रामस्याक्लिष्टकर्मणः |
हनुमान् शत्रुसैन्यानाम् निहन्ता मारुतात्मजः || ५-४२-३४
"I am Hanuman, (servant of Rama,) the destroyer of the army of adversaries and the son of wind-god. I am the servant of Rama, the king of Kosala Kingdom, who is unwearied in action."

न रावणसहस्रम् मे युद्धे प्रतिबलं भवेत् |
शिलाभिस्तु प्रहरतः पादपैश्च सहस्रशः || ५-४२-३५
"Even a thousand of Ravanas will not be matching equally with me, who is capable of striking with thousands of rocks and trees in battle."

अर्दयित्वा पुरीम् लङ्कामभिवाद्य च मैथिलीम् |
समृद्धार्थो गमिष्यामि मिषताम् सर्वरक्षसाम् || ५-४२-३६
"Here, before the eyes of all the demons,(under the very nose of these demons) I will pound the City of Lanka and after offering salutation to Mythili (Sita), I will go back after fully completing my task."

This is the Kumati nivara Hanuman.
meera

Postby meera » Mon May 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Hari Om!

Praised be Hanumanji!

Jai Sri Rama!

Today I will post in two parts as the psot is long and besides can be broken in two:

a. The meaning of the line : Kumati Nivara Sumati ke Sangi
b. Relationship to Shani Bhagawan.

कुमति निवार सुमति के संगी
Kumati nivaara sumati ke sangi
You dispel evil, dark thoughts and bring to bear good thoughts (= state of mind)

If one ponders on this, then more than the literal meaning of the sentence, presents itself.
Hanuman’s presence or invocation causes evil thoughts to be replaced by good thoughts also means that Hanuman cleans the dusty mirror of the mind and reveals to us Lord Rama.

Chanting of Hanuman Chalisa is recommended for all these reasons, especially when man is afflicted by difficult periods and the mind is assaulted by dark thoughts, depression, unhappiness, pessimism...

How do we understand this? How does Hanuman bring this about?

Kumati/Sumati has also been explained as elimination of illusions of the mind and a consequent bright intellect. Illusions of mind are the dualities such as raga, dvesha, lobha, moha etc. In my understanding the moment these are removed, duality is removed and what remains is the empowered, liberated intellect, shining bright.

It is the in the or owing to the presence of these dualities that the intellect is clouded and dull. This is understood in so many ways:
a. The chaos of the mind is removed as soon as the Lord is established in it
b. The confusion is removed when clarity is brought about
c. Anxiety is replaced by Sharddha
d. Anger is replaced by forgiveness and understanding
e. Rajas is replaced by a calm withdrawal of agitation and restlessness and quiet takes over.

In all cases what we see is an elimination of the turbulence, chaos and unsteady nature of the mind so that the intellect dawns, is empowered to act. Intellect at a higher level is the continuous and steady and constant establishment of Bhagawan in us.

Some of these we see played out as below:

a. Hanumanji removed Sitaji’s anxiety as she sat forlorn in Asokavan; Hanumanji presented to her Lord Rama’s crest jewel and thus re-established Her anxious mind back in Bhagawan.
b. Hanumanji removed Sugriv’s fear and insecurity as he preferred to stay hidden in the cave, unwilling to come out. Hanumanji ‘connected’ him to Lord Rama and thus established him in shraddha.
c. Vibheeshan who was floundering between his love for his brother Ravana and his devotion for Lord Rama (he was a bhakta), unable to denounce Ravana completely, yet detesting his ways, yet unable to leave the palace and go away... Hanumanji taught Vibheeshana saranagati and removed the confusion (kumati) of his mind as it remained in doubt and anxiety.

The same is seen in a ‘opposite’ manner when we see the Hanuman Ravana encounter. Ravana’s pride (mind state) was shocked with the ‘knowledge’ of Lord Rama. When Hanumanji had slayed Akshaykumar, son of Ravana and at the same time he had wreaked havoc all over Lanka, killing so many of his army and destroying the Ashok Vatika, Ravan had asked him:

कह लंकेस कवन ते कोसा
कही के बल धालेस बन खीसा

Who are you monkey, and by whose might have you wrought destruction on this grove?

These very questions Hanumanji uses to a) challenge and shake Ravana’s self pride (kumati) and b) Instal and instil the knowledge of Rama as sarvasreshth, greater than his own self assumed greatness.

By his own admission Ravana had unwittingly alluded to the fact that such greatness of strength and power was not humanly possible. So even as a glimmer of doubt that there was divinity present, arose in Ravana, Hanumanji reinforced it with (sumati) the establishment of Rama –

जाके बल लवलेस से जितेहु चराचर ज्ञार
तासुदूत मैं जiकरि हरि आनेह प्रिय नार

By an iota of whose might you were able to conquer all this creation – animate and inanimate, and whose beloved wife you have stolen, know me to be his ambassador.

There are many many such instances where we see the conquest of kumati with sumati. I request anyone who wishes to add, to pls do so. This is how I interpret kumati and sumati. I urge you to state yours, please.

There is a set of 4 shlokas in the Sundara Kandam which is called the Vijaya Ghosha and which is even chanted as a prayer or invoked, I am told by those seeking to overcome/win over any treacherous difficulty. But these were verily Hanumanji’s words to rakshasas:

जयत्यतिबलो रामो लक्ष्मणश्च महाबलः |
राजा जयति सुग्रीवो राघवेणाभिपालितः || ५-४२-३३
"Victory and long life to the mighty Rama and the powerful Lakshmana! Victory and long live the King Sugreeva, protected by Rama!"

दासोऽहम् कोसलेन्द्रस्य रामस्याक्लिष्टकर्मणः |
हनुमान् शत्रुसैन्यानाम् निहन्ता मारुतात्मजः || ५-४२-३४
"I am Hanuman, (servant of Rama,) the destroyer of the army of adversaries and the son of wind-god. I am the servant of Rama, the king of Kosala Kingdom, who is unwearied in action."

न रावणसहस्रम् मे युद्धे प्रतिबलं भवेत् |
शिलाभिस्तु प्रहरतः पादपैश्च सहस्रशः || ५-४२-३५
"Even a thousand of Ravanas will not be matching equally with me, who is capable of striking with thousands of rocks and trees in battle."

अर्दयित्वा पुरीम् लङ्कामभिवाद्य च मैथिलीम् |
समृद्धार्थो गमिष्यामि मिषताम् सर्वरक्षसाम् || ५-४२-३६
"Here, before the eyes of all the demons,(under the very nose of these demons) I will pound the City of Lanka and after offering salutation to Mythili (Sita), I will go back after fully completing my task."

This is the Kumati nivara Hanuman.
meera

Postby meera » Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 pm

Hari Om!

The kumati nivara explanation is never complete without reference also to Shani Bhagavan (SATURN).

Hanuman is said to have rescued the planet Saturn from the captivity of Ravana. Story goes that Ravana had seized Shani Bhagawan and kept him imprisoned under his throne. (Ravana had conquered all the planets as well...) Hanumanji freed Shani devata from Ravana’s clutches. In gratitude, Shani promised Hanuman that those who prayed to him (Hanuman) would be rescued from the painful effects of Saturn. According to the science of astrology, persons afflicted by Saturn come in for hardships. In fact, Ravana’s downfall began with the release of Shani Devata.

[One narrative ascribed to Swami Ramdev is thus: Lanka was not burnt by Hanuman at all. Hanumanji merely rescued Shani devata, and as they were leaving the palace of Ravana, wherever Shani Bhagawan’s eyes rested, those spots were singed by flames!! I liked this very much.]

Here are some more sweet little stories that assure us of Shani Bhagawan’s friendship with Hanumanji:

1. Hanumanji extracted a promise from Shanidevata that he will not bother anyone who is meditating on Lord Rama. It seems once Hanumanji was in meditation when friend Shani devata began teasing him playfully. Now Hanumanji’s Guru is the Sun (nice stories around this too, but some other time!) So out of respect for his teacher (Shani devata is the son of the Sun God), Hanumanji warned off his friend. But Shani devata continued teasing his friend, like friends do. Finally Hanumanji got up and gave his friend a good beating it seems (just like friends tease one another and also engage in fisticuffs and wrestling), who in turn pleaded mercy. Hanumanji extracted the promise at this stage: You will not go near anyone who is meditating on Lord Rama!

2. Another beautiful explanation between Hanumanji and Shani devata explains their spiritual connection. Hanumanji is a symbol of humility and selflessness. Whereas Shani Bhagawan is the debt collector of selfish actions! Now if you see, the period of Shani bhagawan’s guest-hood in our life, (seven and a half years) is one where He exacts such humility from us by bringing us down from our seat of pride and ego. Or making us work extraordinarily hard – this takes away our self confidence completely!

Praying to Hanumanji as Kumati Nivar, sumati ke sangi... is an extension of this as well. For a courageous mind-state to pay our debts with pleasant disposition instead of griping and groaning and moaning and cursing all round. The peace of mind, the surrender, the acquiescence, the humility, the realisation... all comes from Hanumanji during this period of distress. No point condemning the debt collector of our own borrowings, no? The beauty of their friendship is so heart warming therefore....!!

Prayers and love to everyone who is weighed down with difficulties. May this Divine Friendship come to your rescue.

Hari Om!
meera

Postby murugans61 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:50 am

Hari Om Meeraji

Thank you for the excellent explantion of " kumati nivaara sumati ke sangii" and about Sani Bagavan's association with Hanmanji.

mati - budhi , ku - crooked, kumati - crooked mind. Su - Good, So Sumati means good mind. Hanumanji removes our bad thoughts and makes goodness grow in us.
As mentioned in Gita, in every era, the Lord takes incarnations to maintain goodness and remove badness. Hanumanji, being an avatar, removes the bad to maintain good in us.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:05 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

You are so right about Hanumanji removing bad thoughts to let good thoughts grow. When one visualises this, he seems like a farmer weeding the field and making space for the good crops to grow... this analogy itslef is very encouraging! How discouraged one gets in the face of life's tribulations that one needs someone to remind us again and again...! This visual image of Hanumanji picking at us is nice...
Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 am

Hari Om!

Glories to Bhagwan Rama!

Here is the next verse please...

कंचन बरन विराज सुवेसा
कानन कुंडला कुंचित केसा (4)

kanchana barana viraja subesa
kaanan kundala kunchita kesa ||

With a body that shines like gold, wearing kundala (earrings) in the ears and hair that is curly.

In the entire 40 verses just 2 or 3 verses are devoted to a physical description of Hanumanji :

It seems as if Tulsidasji as a poet does not have anything more to say, or does not wish to dwell on this point too much. Like a sculptor he gave the brilliant Rama dasa a basic form that may have been commensurate with the role he would have to perform. Hence a golden hued body implying good health at one level.

But at a spiritual level it can be: glowing with the purity of his devotion for the Lord.

OR...

Another interpretation I draw is: shining with the same essence as his Guru, Surya Bhagawan, so that we know here is a true and perfect student/disciple whose discipleship is evident in his very appearance...

Hanumanji’s body has taken on the color of his devotion. Here in the early stages of the Chalisa we are presented with a perfect disciple made ready to serve the Lord, so we see a description of Hanumanji’s color as being that of his Guru’s. But later we will see Hanumanji in the color of red...

I feel Tulsidasji began sculpting in a literal sense the image of Hanumanji, saw him as one with a body glowing with the tejas of his guru, recalled for us that Hanumanji was born with earrings, hair curly and then Tulsidasji (probably) got mesmerised by the essence of Hanuman or, was impatient to tell us about his glory!

Or...

Tulsidasji is telling us how it does not matter what Hanumanji’s physical looks were like; truth is, his whole body was in fact an instrument of Bhagwan! Hanuman was designed for service to the Lord and that physical frame was perfect as is!

Or...

Should anyone think of Hanumanji as an animal (lower form than human), then Tulsidasji is also saying, any imperfect body used to serve Bhagawan becomes perfect in such service. So describing the gross body of such perfection, probably became pointless.

So Tulisdasji ended the gross body focus and moved on to telling us of Hanumanji’s escapades, glories etc. This is how I interpret this...

Yet every other God is described in great detail from shape of eyes to color of skin to kind of head gear to kind of gems on his body. Rama Himself is described thus as is Krishna’s peacock feather and kaustubha jewel and so forth.

I guess Bhagawan wants a the jiva to take away something else from Hanuman, Hanuman as a path to Bhagawan. Hanuman is the road for bhakti and dasya bhava before one can reach gnyaana...So Bhagwan wants the jiva to work at the subtler level; once the mind is cleansed and purified the physical or external will by itself glow like Hanumanji’s body and while there can be so many various levels of desires for a body appearance, (tall, slim, color of skin, shape of eyes, length of hair etc) there can be only ONE goal for the mind, for our inner ‘appearance’ , ie Hanuman. So Bhagawan is placing this ideal before us through the words of Tulsidasji.

I request you to explain the words of Tulisdas should anyone know what was intended...For example why is Hanumanji particularly described as having hair that is curly? And in 2 places I read that Hanumanji was born with earrings... does anyone know the story and the significance?

Hari Om
meera

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas