Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby meera » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:30 am

Glories to Lord Rama, the ideal!

ॐ दान्ताय नमः
Prostrations to One with controlled senses (or controlled one)

Hari Om
meera

Postby uma » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:16 am

Meeraaji,

I have read each and every post here. Lovely and quite informative posts. Eagerly waiting for further, but no hurry, whenever you have time.

I did not post anything here as I had no further information and am very weak in Hindi.

But please do continue, I am interested in learning.

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Hari OM

The attributes such as golden complexion and curly hair not only describe Hanumanji's external beauty. There is more to his beauty than just these physical aspects. Only that person who speaks sweetly, who has love in his eyes and showers love in all actions, is truly beautiful. True beauty is in person's ability to show love for others and Hanumanji has this ability. Subesaa - one whose face is full of love.

Kunchita kesa describes Hanumanji's hair. Kesa also represents rays of the Sun. Hanumanji's hair are like rays of the Sun because of the brightness of knowledge effulgent from it.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 am

Hari Om Uma and Muruganji...

Thank you...
Muruganji, Subesaa... is a nice meaning. Yes, Hanuman had only one thought, 'Rama'...and on this hinged everything he did. Therefore he had no other need or want or intention, and even his ego was just a 'dasa-ego' of Ramji. As a result he did only what Ramji would want...

Naturally the peace of such a person would reflect is unmitigated love within which would reflect in his exterior too!
Very very nice... thanks so much for drawing my attention to this.

Am still researching, will post by tomorrow mostly.
Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 am

Jai Sri Ram!

We are grateful to the Lord for showcasing for us such intense Bhakti through His servant, Hanuman...may our service become love-filled and efficient and may our servitude increase... May we seek the refuge of Lord Rama...

` शरणत्राण तत्पराय नम:
Prostrations to the One who is ever eager to help those who seek refuge in Him.

(from the Sri Ramashtottara, naam 15)
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

Hari Om
Thank you Muruganji for explaining so nicely.
vanajaravinair

Postby Padmaja » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

Golden complexion and hair like rays of sun...truely 'Hemashailabh Deham' (golden mountain)

Atulit baldhamam hemshailabh deham
Danujvan krishanam gyaninam agraganayam
Sakalgunnidhanam vanranamadhisham
Raghupati priya bhaktam vatjatam namami..
Padmaja

Postby meera » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:57 am

Hari Om...!

Thank you Padmaja...the golden complexion reminds of my Hanuman idol which shines almost unnaturally... that is His tejas born out of Bhakti and guru kripa....he is after all the student of the Sun God...golden complexion must be the imbibing of his Guru's tejas through lessons well learnt, disciplines well practiced...

made me think.
thanks for that..

Pranaam to Hanumanji...

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:17 am

Prostrations to Lord Rama, the priya of Hanumanji...who will lead us towards his Lord.

ॐ वालिप्रमथनाय नम:
Prostrations to destroyer of Vali

The next verse in the Hanuman Chalisa:

हाथ वज्र औ ध्वजा विराजै
कांदे मूँज जनेऊ साजै

Haatha vajra au dhwaja virajai
Kaandhe moonj janeu saajai

You hold the thunderbolt in one hand, the flag in the other, and across your shoulder decorates the sacred thread made of munja grass.

This verse suggests 3 objects on Hanumanji’s person:
The mace or gada
The flag, dhwaja
The sacred janeu, usually worn as a thread in 3 plies, but here it is made of the munja grass.

There are various forms of Hanuman that we are acquainted with.
The Veera Hanuman is one with the mace in one hand (left usually) and the right is in a posture of blessing.
The Bhakta Hanuman is one kneeling humbly, head bowed, before Sri Rama, Sita-ma and Lakshmana, the mace at his knees or between the folded palms
The Sankat Mochan Hanuman is the one flying with the sanjeevani parvatam in one hand the mace in the other.

In all cases the mace is at hand, because the mace is the sign of Hanuman’s protector nature.

There is a rare posture of Hanuman which is not often seen and that is in fact understandable. It is Hanuman in sitting posture; it is understood that the seated Maruti depicts the unmanifest energy. It is Hanuman in meditation. As such his organs of action are subdued as is his mind at rest. The emphasis is actually more on his limbs being in a state of rest. Whereas we mortals need the active Hanuman’s support. As it is, given that Hanuman is ever under the ‘spell’ that He has to be reminded of His powers, we cannot also have a Hanuman who is in a subdued posture. Whereas, the Veera Maruti, is the manifest energy and includes the destroyer principle as well. This is one reason.

(The word Maruit has another meaning, I learnt today. It means: One who with his wind principle can compel deities and devatas to spin into action --- ie, be manifested, for the welfare of His (Hanumanji’s) devotees. The word for manifested, is ‘moort’ – hence Maruti.)

So the gada or mace is very core to the image of Hanumanji. Pujya Guruji says, ‘gada’ also means ‘to speak’. Herein we use the power of words to “...., to flatten and destroy ignorance and ego with the help of words (true knowledge)”

Naturally we will recall that Hanumanji would have the power of words as he was vidyavaan guni, ati chatur!

One very interesting explanation I read about ‘haatha vajra...’ is by a gentleman named Anjaneyulu... he says Lord Rama was born with some clear symbol marks on the soles of His feet when He was born, like shankh, chakra, etc,. These denoted the Glory of Lord Rama at birth. In just the same way, Hanumanji had the sign of the vajra on his palm, hence Haath Vajra... because Anjaneyulu argues that how can Hanumanji have the Vajra when it belongs to Indra devata? (Indra’s weapon was called Vajra).

Or one can say Hanumanji’s mace was made of vajra...

Dhwaja Virajai....

A flag usually stands for a message of identity or intention. A means of communicating something to anyone. For example, ships use a variety of flags to say ‘we have a doctor on board’ or ‘I require a pilot’ or ‘Help needed...’ and so on. A flag speaks for you broadly.. so if a building has a flag of Canada we know this is a Canadian organisation or embassy or so forth.

Hanumanji carried the flag of Lord Rama. It was his identity. His way of announcing that he was an envoy of the Lord. As Pujya Guruji says, “It symbolically shows that he always honors and remembers Lord Rama.”

Further Guruji adds: Dhvaja also stands for victory to Lord Rama. Usually flags were flown on warrior’s chariots to identify them to a friend or a foe. But Sri Hanuman’s body itself is like a chariot as he flies from place to place. Thus, he has to carry Lord
Rama’s flag in his hand. Saint Tulsidas says that Sri Hanuman carries the flag of truthfulness, good character and faith in God’s name.

Another interesting nugget says Hanuman used his tail to serve Bhagawan Ram in various ways. At times it was a white umbrella which he would spread over the Lord as if a canopy, and royalty did use white umbrellas and Hanumanji probably wanted to be sure that his Lord’s royal status be known and protected in the forests too. And Hanumanji was also a vehicle of the Lord, recall, he has carried Lord Rama and Lakshamana on his shoulders from place to place. During such events, Hanumanji’s tail was his flag!

Of course the flag of Rama was different from his won tail, nevertheless...

Kandhe moonj janeu saajai...

Janeu is the sacred thread invested over a ceremony called the upanayanam which denotes the initiation to the Gayatri Mantram as well as the entry into a new stage of life after childhood, an age of study and structured living. (Similar in spirit to the Parsi Navjote ceremony and the Jewish Bar Mitzvah; in Buddhism it is called ‘opanayiko’ where the person subscribes to the 8-fold path which leads to nirvana or enlightenment.)

Upanayanam has other meanings, essentially etymological and interesting: literally it means upa+ nayana = near sight. If one ponders on this, it well indicates the need to stop the eyes from looking away, at things far, external, outward and drawing it to that which is near (=at hand, hence focus, attention, important in a young student or even an old student for that matter!), or drawing the eyes near, hence contemplative state?

Another meaning is Upa na (over/above)+yan am (it is), therefore, meaning "that which is above (the shoulder)".

Upanayana also means taking somebody near knowledge or seat of knowledge (upain)..

So Hanuman wore the sacred thread made of the munja grass which abounds on river banks in India, a very tough grass otherwise used for weaving.

The yajnopavitam (the sacred thread, as differentiated from the ceremony called Upanayanam) denotes the wearer is working towards Brahman. The three strands or plies of the thread denote Rajas Sattav and tamas and/or Goddesses Gayatri (of the mind, Saraswati (of word) and Savitri (of deed) thereby calling upon the invested child to hereafter ensure his thought word and deed are monitored and disciplined.

In the case of our Hanumanji, we know how pure and perfect he was in thought word and deed and his Janeyu was in many ways a flag that spoke of his perfect state. From the way he greeted Lord Rama and Lakshmana on first sighting them -- recall Ramji had said to Lakshmana, 'Only a person well versed in the Rig Veda can talk with such perfection and purity!" to, how he speaks even to a Ravana, at first reminding him of his duty as a king, then telling him he was making a mistake in capturing another's wife, then asking him to release Sita-ma then warning him that his stubborn refusal was going to cost him dearly...Hanumanji's thought word and deed come through clearly as being in control, and above all, shows he was disciplined always not giving in to impulsive anger or reaction.

I now leave it to you to add, subtract (if there is a wrong assumption made above), debate or discuss.

Hari Om!
meera

Postby Padmaja » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am

Hari Om. Pranams Meeraji,

Thanks for presenting significance of vajra, dhwaja, janeu of Sri Hanumanji and his various postures so beautifully. Enjoyed reading it and it was very enlightening.
Padmaja

Postby vanajaravinair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Hari Om
@Meeraji

Thank you so much for this great explanation about Hanumanji.
I wish to add something here:
"Lord Rama was born with some clear symbol marks on the soles of His feet when He was born, like shankh, chakra, etc,. These denoted the Glory of Lord Rama at birth".

"In Adhyatmaramayana it is mentioned that : When Sri Ramji was born, He was born with four hands alongwith Sankh, Chakr, Gadaa, Padma, all symbols of Lord Vishnu. Kaushalya Devi praised the Lord recognizing Him as Lord Vishnu. Then she requested Him to show her Sri Rama's Bala-bhaava, so that she could serve Him with unconditional love as a mother and attain Him eventually. Lord Vishnu's Maya veiled Kaushalya Devi's vision there upon, and became a new born.
When Bharata came to see Sri Rama to inform about the demise of Dasharadha, and to invite Sri Ramji back to the Kingdom, before their meeting, Bharata happened to see the footprints of Sri Rama. It is mentioned that all these symbols were seen on the footprints and so Bharata recognized it as Sri Rama's."
vanajaravinair

Postby vanajaravinair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:50 pm

..continued from my last post

"In just the same way, Hanumanji had the sign of the vajra on his palm, hence Haath Vajra... because Anjaneyulu argues that how can Hanumanji have the Vajra when it belongs to Indra devata? (Indra’s weapon was called Vajra)."

Please read Guruji's explanation, taken from the book Hanuman Chalisa:

When he was born early in the morning, he saw the rising sun and thought it was a fruit. He had the ability to fly and he flew to the sun and swallowed it. The whole world became dark. Nobody could understand who this little child was that had swallowed the sun? At that time, Lord Indra, king of all gods came there with his thunderbolt. His thunderbolt is infallible and whoever is struck by it will be dead instantly. Lord Indra struck that little child with his thunderbolt to free the sun. The bolt struck Sri Hanuman on the chin. However, being all-powerful, he did not die but releasing the sun, he fell on the earth and became unconscious. When the Wind God came to know what had happened, he became very angry and stopped the flow air. Everyone was dying without air. They started praying to Wind God and all gods came and sought apology. The Wind God said, ‘All of you will have to bless my son with all your powers and good qualities that you possess.’ Thus Sri Hanuman came to be blessed with all might and strength.

Sri Hanuman is so strong that he could withstand a blow from the mighty thunderbolt of Lord Indra. Saint Tulsidas says that he is strong and he uses this strength in the service of the Lord and others. Many people who are also strong use their strength to subjugate others and become dictators. Sri Hanuman does not misuse his strength.

You have the thunderbolt (in one hand) and the flag (in another), and the sacred thread across your shoulder made of munja grass decorates you. Sri Hanuman carries a mace (gada) in his hand that is strong like Lord Indra’s thunderbolt and kills whoever it is used on. The word gada also means ‘to speak’. This weapon is used in the battlefield to eliminate enemies and the other, to flatten and destroy ignorance and ego with the help of words (true knowledge).

I hope this self-explanatory.
Pranams to all,
Vanaja
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:01 am

Hari Om Vanaja-amma!

The details for the Adhyatma Ramayana is precious! Thank you very very much.

Thank you also for quoting from Pujya Guruji's Hanuman Chalisa book. I thought I referred to 'gada' = speak in my post. Maybe I forgot... but it is a very poignant meaning. The power of words can be as heavy as the power of a thunderbolt. I did look up the meaning of 'gada' at that stage to see the etymological source of the word... but could not find it. Will ask Sarala amma at CIF. She is a treasure house.

Hari Om Padmaja...... thank you for your appreciation. You know, in the south of India there is a little event that plays out during navaratri/Durga Puja. The women display their dolls and curios in a very structured way; it is called 'goloo'. Over the years I believe themes have taken over and people set up thematic displays. Then they invite the women and young girls from the neighbourhood to come and see their dolls and some even sing at these occasions, it is meant to be auspicious...

When you all come and visit this 'display' of Hanuman, I am reminded of that goloo! During the goloo, which is kept on display all 9 days, the hostess puts up new garlands to 'refresh' the event daily.

In like manner, I try to post a naam from the Srirama ashtottara daily (but have not succeeded much) so that Hanumanji remains delighted in this forum :)

And when you all come and appreciate his feats and his glory, it is like the women who come and sing at the goloo!!

Hanumanji is pleased...!

Hari Om!
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:18 am

Hari Om

Pranams,

I heard that Hanumanji's hand was like vajra, and whatever that came to his hands also became like vajra.

He was small in size when he hit Lankini, at the entrance of Lanka. But as His hands were strong and sharp like Vajra, blood came out of her mouth. (Then Lankini remembered Brahmaji's words that when she gets hit from a monkey, Ravana's days have nearly come to an end).
vanajaravinair

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Hari OM

The vajra in Hanumanji’s palm symbolized his strength and the flag symbolized that his fame will spread in the entire universe.

He wore the sacred thread made of munja grass. From a seed of compassion, this thread of satisfaction is made. It is twisted with truth that gives it strength and then tied with the knot of sense control.

Hanumanji came into this world with good fortune of strength and fame. With self control, he made his destiny so much greater.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Hari Om Muruganji,

There is a new depth to what you have said. Could you kindly explain this:

From a seed of compassion, this thread of satisfaction is made. It is twisted with truth that gives it strength and then tied with the knot of sense control.

Are you relating the upanayanam to these attributes? Why is the yajnopavit called thread of satisfaction? Clearly you know the mantrams that are chanted when the sacred thread is twisted... kindly explain Muruganji.

The other point is, while we all know that Hanumanji applied tremendous sama-dama-titiksha etc...do we have insights into his training? At what stage in his life did Hanumanji begin the self control? He was a terrific student of Surya Bhagawan, but I know nothing about his student days...
If anyone knows that will in itself be a great learning for us.
Hari Om
meera
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Hari Om Meeraji

What little i know about the holy thread is , it represents the three gunas and the knot represents the Brahman. It also reminds one about the duty towards the Guru, Pitrus and the culture / Isvara.
My post is based on the notes taken during Swami Swaroopananda's lecture. I am now reading a book in tamil called Enge Brahmanan by Cho Ramasamy in which he talks about the upanayanam ceremony and its spiritual significance. Frankly, i do not have the exposure to the upanayanam mantras and let us look forward to the explanations from other readers of this forum.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Muruganji...
will look forward to more explanations...

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am

Om...

Prostrations to Lord Rama, Master of Hanuman...
May we be kept in His protection always...
Here is the 17th in the ashtottara of Sree Ramachandra...

ॐ वाग्मिने नम:
Prostrations to the Eloquent One

Hari Om..
meera

Postby meera » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

Hari Om dear friends...

one day late. Sorry..

Here are the next 2 lines from Tulsidasji's Hanuman Chalisa...

संकर सुवन केसरी नंदन
तेज प्रताप महा जग बंदन (6)

sankara suvana kesarénandana |
teja pratäpa mahä jaga bandana
||

You are the incarnation of Lord Shiva and you are son of Kesari. The world bows to you for your strength and luster.

This verse has two distinct parts to it: the first line is an introduction to who Hanuman is in terms of lineage, background, upbringing – the seed Hanuman.
The second line is the description of the tree Hanuman. (That’s how I see it. Parents, teachers, foster parents etc are our support as we grow... but what we turn into is our vasanas and purushartha).

Hanumanji has been variously called son of Kesari, son of Shiva, Son of Wind God as well.
He interpretations are many.

The beginnings of this lies in the devatas going to Vishnu Bhagawan to complain against the atrocities of Ravan. Consequent to that Vishnu Bhagawan decided to take an avatar and come to earth where Ravana lived and ruled, to destroy him.
Now, Brahmaji wanted all the devatas to go down to earth and be there to support the Lord who was to come as Rama. The devatas did not wish to take human form because Bhagawan Himself was going to be taking such form; they wanted to be less than Bhagawan and not just like Him... so they took the form of monkeys, it is said. As an extension of this theory it is said Shivji – biggest bhakta of Vishnu, incarnated as Hanuman.

I. Hanuman, an amsa of Shiva: Another thought says, when Shiva heard that Bhagawan was taking human form He must have sworn to be where His Lord was. It is said Hanuman is an ansh (part) of Shiva. This is explained by 2 different stories in the scriptures:
a. Anjana devi had a curse on her that made her have the form of a monkey. (In her human form earlier she was an apsara named Punjikasthala...) The curse would be removed only if she would give birth to an incarnation of Shiva.
b. (Read this along with Shiva’s desire to serve Vishnu in the Ramavatar): When Dashrathji was performing the putra kameshti havan, a bowl of payasam was given by Agni dev from the havan, which was to be shared by the queens. Kamban says, that was when an eagle flew down from the skies and swiped a small part of the payasam and dropped it where Anjanadevi and Pavana (the wind God, her husband) were praying for a son. Thus Hanuman, who would therefore have been born at the same time as the Ayodhya princes.

There is also another thought that avers that Hanumanji is an amsa of one of the 11 Rudra forms of Shiva..

II. Hanuman as Kesari nandan: A simpler theory has it that Anjana devi was married to Vanar-Raj (king of monkeys) Kesari; she wanted a child and did a lot of tapasya and prayed to Shiva for a son just like Him. Blessing her, Shiva took birth as her child as Hanuman. All this, towards being a great support for Bhagawan during his Ramavatar...

III. Hanuman as Vayuputra: Now, all the devatas were asked to bless the baby Hanuman with strengths. So they all gave a part of themselves to the child and that is how Hanuman has so many many qualities. Among the various blessings was Vayu devata who blessed him with unparalleled strength and wisdom. Some versions add that Vayu devata acted as Hanuman’s godfather and took a serious role in his upbringing. Hence Hanumanji is also called Vayu putra.
Or, they say, it was Vayu that carried Lord Shiva’s aura to Anjana devi’s womb. So we now see Shiva, Kesari and Vayu devata all three as Hanumanji’s father.

A parallel argument (if one may call it so) is that the Pandava princes were the grace of various devatas consequent to Pandu having come under the curse of Rishi Kindama which would prevent him from having children. When four sons were begat by his queens Kunti and Madri, in a gesture of acceptance as well as good sense, Pandu gave them all the collective title of Pandu putr. So too Hanuman in similar spirit is called Vayu putra – even if Kesari ji was the one who was married to Anjana in her vanar roopam.

Taking this very logic forward it can be said that just as Karna was called Radheya after his foster mother Radha, wife of Adhiratha, charioteer to Duryodhan, so too Hanumanji was variously known as Vayuputra after Vayu devata who fostered him as a child.

What we see in all this is the great collective prideless, ego less, singlepointed effort towards a single cause: Lord Rama.

The second part of this verse describes Hanumanji’s intrinsic nature, and verily what he made of his background and turned himself into.

In one word, Hanumanji is glorious. He knew clearly why he had taken birth: to serve Bhagawan and not once did he swerve from that mission and path. So much so that when Kesariji told him that he would have to take over the kingdom as successor to his father Kesari, Hanumanji declined the kingship and said, he was committed to serving Bhagawan and that was all his life was meant for.

If one starts writing about Hanumanji’s glory here, we will be verily reproducing Kishkinda Kand and SunderKand here... Hanumanji was a bhakta and a sevak of the Lord... so every breath of his, every act of his, every thought of his was GLORIOUS! What to say now!

Why was Hanumanji so glorious? The Ramayan had innumerable warriors, soldiers, craftsmen, and a whole host of ministers and other characters. Should have been over a million ! Then why or how does one person stand out so tall and so significantly? Why do his bhaktas worldwide adore and glorify him? We do know his glory is renowned in the 3 worlds (teenon lok hank te kaampai! तीनों लोक हांक ते काँपे ); we also know that he was renowned in all 4 yugas...and every devata has tried to describe him, glorify him in words...

The rest of the chalisa is really devoted to explaining the why of his glory, I think... but there is also a shloka that describes the great attributes of Hanumanji:

बुद्धिर्बलं यशो धैर्यं निर्भयत्वमरोगिता ।
अजाड्यं वाक्पटुता च हनुमत्स्मरणाद्भवेत् ॥

(two doubts in the above text: nirbhayatvam arogita or arogyata and what is the grammatical difference too? Two texts sya the word differently. 2nd, ajaad.yam – the d. is the hard d.ha in one text and soft in the other...) Yet, the root word is jada or dullwittedness in this context and comes with 2 different meanings at the same time:

a_jADyam = jAdyam = stupidity. jaDa = lifeless, without intelligence (of life)
a-jADyam = without stupidity. awareness. enlived.

The shloka above lists qualities that are granted to a person merely remembering Hanumanji. Yet the qualities listed here are descriptive of Hanumanji’s core qualities as well!

“One can gain wisdom, strength, success, courage, fearlessness, lack of ill health lack of sluggishness, and Oratory skills, by anyone who remembers Hanuman.”
Let us see how many valorous and glorious acts and words of Hanuman we can recall…

Hari Om.
meera

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas