NACHIAR TIRUMOZHI - The Divine Counsel of Sri Andal-RESUMED

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: NACHIAR TIRUMOZHI - The Divine Counsel of Sri Andal

Postby BrKutastha » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Sri Chinmayasatgurave namah

Nachiar Tirumozhi - Ch II verse 3

Topic: Andal yearning for Krishna, yet resisting Him, scolding Him, yet expressing her love and yearning…

(You are) the One who lies on the Milky Ocean, O One with the majesty of a Lion! Even after dissolution,you are the One who lies on the mass of water surrounding the whole world! You saved Gajendra, the elephant (from the clutches of the crocodile), so readily! We love You so naturally but with Your side glance You torture us.(Or… we love you so much, so easily and naturally, yet you won’t even confer on us a side glance, and thus you torture us!)

(You seem to not heed that )we suffered a lot in bringing the very fine soft sands from the river-bed, wearing bangles in our hands. We plead You, not to destroy our sand houses.

REFLECTION:

Andal clearly expresses her understanding of Krishna as the maintainer, the nourisher, the protector. She knows all that He has done as a part of sustaining this Creation. She describes Krishna as the Lord Vishnu Who is lying on the Milky Ocean thereby indicating to Him that He is ever engaged in serious thinking in maintaining the world. Lord Vishnu depicted in the sleeping posture, eyes half closed,shows that only His mind is ever awake thinking of the world, its inhabitants, their welfare, their joys and needs. This reveals to us how compassionate He is.

Again Andal describes Krishna as the One who is lying in the mass of water,(Milky Ocean) referring to the form of the baby Krishna lying on the banyan leaf floating in the water at the time of dissolution – Andal appears to be chiding Krishna saying you are so concerned about your Creation, look how well you protect it, lying on the banyan tree leaf, and in this form you are keeping all the jivas in your safe custody in the stomach. Aren’t you doing this to protect them till the next creation? This also shows His compassionate nature, she admits admiringly but immediately she also says, don’t spoil our creation. Meaning, you are strong and compassionate to protect your own Creation, but why can’t you keep off our (jiva’s) creations of sand castles and rangoli? Do you not think we who despite wearing bangles went out to get fine sand, faced so much difficulty?

Andal is thus caught between annoyance and deep admiration and adoration!

By indicating the incident of saving the elephant Gajendra from the crocodile, Andal is listing out few points:

1. Gajendra did not surrender immediately. He struggled for a thousand years (it is said) trying to save himself. Maybe by pointing this out Andal is hinting at the probability that Gajendran’s ego did not permit him to surrender!

2. He surrendered at last to save his own life.(whereas here Andal is offering her life to Bhagawan, in her surrender!)

3. Bhagavan did not think of all these mistakes of Gajendra, yet how eagerly He seems to have rushed to save Gajendra!

4. He came rushing to save Gajendra just by a call from him. And here she was yearning and pining for Krishna, building sand castles and painting kolams and Krishna? Forget coming to her, He would not even grace her with a side long glance! Andal thinks this is most unfair. “How is this fair?” she asks! The surging anger in Andal is absolutely delightful.

5. Finally He even killed the crocodile to save Gajendra.Comparing this to her own state Andal says, ‘yet you kill me (instead of saving me!) by not even offering me a sideway glance, even as I cry for you, no less in intensity than Gajendra’s cry for help! How are we two different Krishna? You have so much compassion for a mere elephant, but here look at me, what have I not done to adore you, yet you ignore me!

By these Andal may be indicating to Krishna the following

1. We are always surrendered to you – meaning I don’t come to you only when I am in trouble. Here I am crying out for you not because my foot is in the mouth of any crocodile, but because of my intense yearning for you. And this yearning has ALWAYS been there Krishna!

2. We surrendered to you not expecting anything from you – we bhaktas are mindlessly in love with you Krishna. There is no objective for our love and our worship. On the other hand we have even give up everything we have just to get you, left our homes and families! What can we want now other than yourself? (Whereas that Gajendra? He cried out to you to save his life! And I am saying come Krishna, take my life!)

3. Think, we are only in Love with you and you alone – not in love with our lives! We want to give up ourselves to be One with you, so that we don’t have this body identity as distinct from you! Think Krishna! I am saying take away this identity so that I and You may merge as one…Gajendra didn’t say that no? Gajendra still wanted his life saved and still be distinct from you! Is this not my love?

4. We are trying our best through putting our effort in all ways and means just to unite with you.

5. You are not encouraging us, nay, you are not even showing any sign of acknowledging our effort. Worse, you come and destroy our creation – our sand castles and kolams!

6. What do you think of yourself? Have we become lower than the animal (Gajendra) that you have saved? You were so eager to save him, you rushed to his rescue. You didn’t need to do that. And you killed the crocodile! Where was the need? You could have saved that elephant without that. So eager you were to shower your attention and love on an animal. But us? Are we lower than that animal?

Here we are reminded of Krishna’s own statements in the following verses of the Bhagavad Gita:

catur-vidha bhajante mam
janah sukritino ’rjuna
arto jijnasur artharthi
jnani ca bharatarsabha|| 7.16

Four kinds of virtuous men worship Me, O Arjuna, the dissatisfied, the seeker of (systematised) knowledge, the seeker of wealth, and the wise, O best among the Bharatas.

tesam jnani nitya-yukta
eka-bhaktir visisyate
priyo hi jnanino ’tyartham
aham sa ca mama priyah || 7.17

Of them the wise, ever steadfast and devoted to the One, excels; for, I am exceedingly dear to the wise, and he is dear to Me.

udarah sarva evaite
jnani tv atmaiva me matam
asthitah sa hi yuktatma
mam evanuttamam gatim|| 7.18

Noble indeed are all these, but the wise man, I deem, as My very Self; for, steadfast in mind he is established in Me alone as the Supreme Goal.

Andal wants to remind Krishna of His own words “that the wise man, I deem, as My own Self” for his mind is ever fixed in Him as his goal. And by presneting His words back to Him and cleverly weaving the paradox of Gajendra into her argument, Andal stuns Krishna with, “So Krishna you are saying one thing and behaving quite the opposite!

Here we should be careful in our understanding that Andal’s intention is not to say anything low about Gajendra or or talk poorly of Krishna. It is her faultless Love that gives her strength to talk like this! So when she continues “our Love for you is so natural and you are torturing us only with you side glance” she is telling Him - how come you still maintain such a distance with us/me and not showering your grace on us/me so that we become united with you immediately, instantly? (Can’t you do for me what you did for Gajendra?)

Here Upanishad also comes to the help of Andal with the the following mantra from “Mundakopanishad”.

näyamätmä pravacanena labhyo
na medhayä na bahunä çrutena|
yamevaiña våëute tena labhyaù
tasyaiña ätmä vivåëute tanuà sväm
|| (III.ii.4)

The Self is not attained through discourses nor through memorizing scriptural texts, nor through much learning. It is gained only by him who wishes to attain it with his whole heart. To such a one, the Self reveals its true nature.

And thus Andal now says to Krishna, “After seeing all the effort we have put in with our soul and heart, wishing to be united with You, still You are not revealing your True Love explicitly but you simply go and spoil our efforts (worship) as well! So kindly, we plead with you to not destroy our sand houses.

It may seem like an anti climax that after all her pleas and cries, Andal ends with ‘don’t destroy our sand castles’. But could she be saying, “We jivas create our own unique path to reach you; we are after all limited humans created by you as limited. We didn’t ask to be limited but you as Bhagawan chose to design us as limited. And with this limited body we have been working so hard to worship you to reach you….to the best of our capabilities given our limitations….no doubt our efforts (like scriptural study, japa, mantra, etc) are like sand castles…and to attain you none of these will suffice. Yet why do you make this effort so very very difficult? Why do you spoil our sand castles (meditation efforts, study efforts, etc) which we created only for you? (Our japa, meditation, study etc are all only with You in mind!)

So maybe our efforts at worshipping you may be insufficient, but you know why we are doing this, then why don’t you simply accept them all instead of spoiling them?

Hari Om
vande guruparamparam
BrKutastha

Postby BrKutastha » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Nachiar Tirumozhi - Ch II verse 3

Topic: Andal yearning for Krishna, yet resisting Him, scolding Him, yet expressing her love and yearning…

(You are) the One who lies on the Milky Ocean, O One with the majesty of a Lion! Even after dissolution,you are the One who lies on the mass of water surrounding the whole world! You saved Gajendra, the elephant (from the clutches of the crocodile), so readily! We love You so naturally but with Your side glance You torture us.(Or… we love you so much, so easily and naturally, yet you won’t even confer on us a side glance, and thus you torture us!)

(You seem to not heed that )we suffered a lot in bringing the very fine soft sands from the river-bed, wearing bangles in our hands. We plead You, not to destroy our sand houses.

REFLECTION:

Andal clearly expresses her understanding of Krishna as the maintainer, the nourisher, the protector. She knows all that He has done as a part of sustaining this Creation. She describes Krishna as the Lord Vishnu Who is lying on the Milky Ocean thereby indicating to Him that He is ever engaged in serious thinking in maintaining the world. Lord Vishnu depicted in the sleeping posture, eyes half closed,shows that only His mind is ever awake thinking of the world, its inhabitants, their welfare, their joys and needs. This reveals to us how compassionate He is.

Again Andal describes Krishna as the One who is lying in the mass of water,(Milky Ocean) referring to the form of the baby Krishna lying on the banyan leaf floating in the water at the time of dissolution – Andal appears to be chiding Krishna saying you are so concerned about your Creation, look how well you protect it, lying on the banyan tree leaf, and in this form you are keeping all the jivas in your safe custody in the stomach. Aren’t you doing this to protect them till the next creation? This also shows His compassionate nature, she admits admiringly but immediately she also says, don’t spoil our creation. Meaning, you are strong and compassionate to protect your own Creation, but why can’t you keep off our (jiva’s) creations of sand castles and rangoli? Do you not think we who despite wearing bangles went out to get fine sand, faced so much difficulty?

Andal is thus caught between annoyance and deep admiration and adoration!

By indicating the incident of saving the elephant Gajendra from the crocodile, Andal is listing out few points:

1. Gajendra did not surrender immediately. He struggled for a thousand years (it is said) trying to save himself. Maybe by pointing this out Andal is hinting at the probability that Gajendran’s ego did not permit him to surrender!

2. He surrendered at last to save his own life.(whereas here Andal is offering her life to Bhagawan, in her surrender!)

3. Bhagavan did not think of all these mistakes of Gajendra, yet how eagerly He seems to have rushed to save Gajendra!

4. He came rushing to save Gajendra just by a call from him. And here she was yearning and pining for Krishna, building sand castles and painting kolams and Krishna? Forget coming to her, He would not even grace her with a side long glance! Andal thinks this is most unfair. “How is this fair?” she asks! The surging anger in Andal is absolutely delightful.

5. Finally He even killed the crocodile to save Gajendra.Comparing this to her own state Andal says, ‘yet you kill me (instead of saving me!) by not even offering me a sideway glance, even as I cry for you, no less in intensity than Gajendra’s cry for help! How are we two different Krishna? You have so much compassion for a mere elephant, but here look at me, what have I not done to adore you, yet you ignore me!

By these Andal may be indicating to Krishna the following

1. We are always surrendered to you – meaning I don’t come to you only when I am in trouble. Here I am crying out for you not because my foot is in the mouth of any crocodile, but because of my intense yearning for you. And this yearning has ALWAYS been there Krishna!

2. We surrendered to you not expecting anything from you – we bhaktas are mindlessly in love with you Krishna. There is no objective for our love and our worship. On the other hand we have even give up everything we have just to get you, left our homes and families! What can we want now other than yourself? (Whereas that Gajendra? He cried out to you to save his life! And I am saying come Krishna, take my life!)

3. Think, we are only in Love with you and you alone – not in love with our lives! We want to give up ourselves to be One with you, so that we don’t have this body identity as distinct from you! Think Krishna! I am saying take away this identity so that I and You may merge as one…Gajendra didn’t say that no? Gajendra still wanted his life saved and still be distinct from you! Is this not my love?

4. We are trying our best through putting our effort in all ways and means just to unite with you.

5. You are not encouraging us, nay, you are not even showing any sign of acknowledging our effort. Worse, you come and destroy our creation – our sand castles and kolams!

6. What do you think of yourself? Have we become lower than the animal (Gajendra) that you have saved? You were so eager to save him, you rushed to his rescue. You didn’t need to do that. And you killed the crocodile! Where was the need? You could have saved that elephant without that. So eager you were to shower your attention and love on an animal. But us? Are we lower than that animal?

Here we are reminded of Krishna’s own statements in the following verses of the Bhagavad Gita:

catur-vidha bhajante mam
janah sukritino ’rjuna
arto jijnasur artharthi
jnani ca bharatarsabha|| 7.16

Four kinds of virtuous men worship Me, O Arjuna, the dissatisfied, the seeker of (systematised) knowledge, the seeker of wealth, and the wise, O best among the Bharatas.

tesam jnani nitya-yukta
eka-bhaktir visisyate
priyo hi jnanino ’tyartham
aham sa ca mama priyah || 7.17

Of them the wise, ever steadfast and devoted to the One, excels; for, I am exceedingly dear to the wise, and he is dear to Me.

udarah sarva evaite
jnani tv atmaiva me matam
asthitah sa hi yuktatma
mam evanuttamam gatim|| 7.18

Noble indeed are all these, but the wise man, I deem, as My very Self; for, steadfast in mind he is established in Me alone as the Supreme Goal.

Andal wants to remind Krishna of His own words “that the wise man, I deem, as My own Self” for his mind is ever fixed in Him as his goal. And by presneting His words back to Him and cleverly weaving the paradox of Gajendra into her argument, Andal stuns Krishna with, “So Krishna you are saying one thing and behaving quite the opposite!

Here we should be careful in our understanding that Andal’s intention is not to say anything low about Gajendra or or talk poorly of Krishna. It is her faultless Love that gives her strength to talk like this! So when she continues “our Love for you is so natural and you are torturing us only with you side glance” she is telling Him - how come you still maintain such a distance with us/me and not showering your grace on us/me so that we become united with you immediately, instantly? (Can’t you do for me what you did for Gajendra?)

Here Upanishad also comes to the help of Andal with the the following mantra from “Mundakopanishad”.

näyamätmä pravacanena labhyo
na medhayä na bahunä çrutena|
yamevaiña våëute tena labhyaù
tasyaiña ätmä vivåëute tanuà sväm
|| (III.ii.4)

The Self is not attained through discourses nor through memorizing scriptural texts, nor through much learning. It is gained only by him who wishes to attain it with his whole heart. To such a one, the Self reveals its true nature.

And thus Andal now says to Krishna, “After seeing all the effort we have put in with our soul and heart, wishing to be united with You, still You are not revealing your True Love explicitly but you simply go and spoil our efforts (worship) as well! So kindly, we plead with you to not destroy our sand houses.

It may seem like an anti climax that after all her pleas and cries, Andal ends with ‘don’t destroy our sand castles’. But could she be saying, “We jivas create our own unique path to reach you; we are after all limited humans created by you as limited. We didn’t ask to be limited but you as Bhagawan chose to design us as limited. And with this limited body we have been working so hard to worship you to reach you….to the best of our capabilities given our limitations….no doubt our efforts (like scriptural study, japa, mantra, etc) are like sand castles…and to attain you none of these will suffice. Yet why do you make this effort so very very difficult? Why do you spoil our sand castles (meditation efforts, study efforts, etc) which we created only for you? (Our japa, meditation, study etc are all only with You in mind!)

So maybe our efforts at worshipping you may be insufficient, but you know why we are doing this, then why don’t you simply accept them all instead of spoiling them?

Hari Om
vande guruparamparam
BrKutastha

Postby Padmaja » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Br. Kutastha ji for your beautiful write up.

Just wanted to share something with you -

Andal story became very real to me while watching the footage of Tsunami in Japan. Remember how we were discussing about Lord destroying sand castle? It was like watching Lord destroying sand castle real time. I was so totally humbled and dumbfounded seeing Lord's enormous power. It beats our wildest imagination so powerful He is. The whole big town with thousands of people, cars, houses, ships, bridges, of the most modern sophisticated nation literally got swept away like 'sand castle' within few seconds. The ocean was pouring in with a speed of jet, houses, huge buildings were getting uprooted from their foundation, cars, ships were floating like toys, everything was reduced to rubble within minutes. The axis of earth shifted, the island moved 8 feet. I felt other than prostrating and holding feet of this Lord what else can we do? I shouldn't even utter any word. I am nothing. I am not even a tiny grain of sand of that sand castle. That is how I felt. If anybody has any doubt remaining about whether Lord is real or not, they should watch that footage. Our ego gets swept away like sand castle.
Padmaja

Postby BrKutastha » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 am

Nachiyar Tirumozhi Chapter II Verse 4

Topic: The Power of Love

Translation: Hey Krishna of the colour of the rain bearing clouds, your speech and actions mesmerize us! Is that your face or is that any maya or mantra (that is appearing as your face) for it makes us lose ourselves (forget ourselves to you). Even if you tease us that we are weak (and it is true too), we won’t use harsh words in retaliation, that may hurt you! Hey Krishna, the one who has red lotus-like eyes, we plead you not to destroy our sand castles.

Explanation:

The color of Krishna is often compared to rain bearing clouds. In referring to him as such, Andal is in fact using a metaphor. Let’s see how. The cloud that is just about to burst open and pour, which is heavy with the rain... such a cloud is in fact potentially hope giving, joy giving. So is Krishna, we may infer from Andal, when she uses this metaphor.

When we are suffering out of too much heat and there are no rains for many months, when these heavy rain-bearing clouds appear in the sky, when it appears like it is about to pour, and the sun is hidden and it becomes dark and gloomy, the mere vision is enough to bring us a certain peace and joy ! Andal is probably using this metaphor in addressing Krishna as such, to infer her joy at the impending meeting with the Lord. Just as mere sighting the rain bearing clouds is enough to bring joy, so too the mere thought of Krishna coming is enough to fill her with acute happiness.

Another analogy is the impact of rain on heat. The gopis and Andal are suffering the discomfort of separation, wanting to unite with Krishna, not sure if it will happen or not. Strangely, Krishna has just appeared before them, but he has not accepted them. Their joy is incomplete; worse still, he is threatening to destroy the sand castles.

Standing there, Krishna is making talk with them. What all he speaks and does, is actually disturbing their work but they are mesmerised; even though he is disturbing them they are unable to say anything to him, that is how much they are mesmerised.

Reflection:

At every stage Andal is commenting. She comments on his actions, on his look, on his thoughts, on his words. What Krishna is doing is against their wish, still it has the effect of mesmerising. Krishna’s face is as if casting a spell, because merely looking at him is causing her to be mesmerised. She says we are losing ourselves to you Krishna, despite the fact that you are disturbing us so much; is that because Krishna’s face is a ‘maya mantram’? The gopis and Andal are either unable or reluctant to admit to his power, so they simply call it ‘maya-mantram’, the equivalent of a spell, a hypnotic effect.

Now they are reading his looks. They seem to feel weak on seeing him, but they also allude by the look on Krishna’s face that he thinks they are weak! “We can say what’s on your mind!” they say to him, adding, “Yes it is true we are very weak, but even though you look down on us, we will not talk any harsh words to you!”

This estimates the depth of their love for Krishna, that even though he seems to be looking down on them, they don’t want to use such words that may hurt him. Whether he is concerned about the gopis or not, they are concerned about his feelings and they don’t want to hurt him back. So it is their love that is stopping them from saying anything painful to him. They are saying our love is much more than yours for us.

In life, we have seen that if the one we love looks down on us, we may stop loving them, feeling cheated as a result; But not Andal. She is careful not to hurt Krishna.

Andal uses three words as reference points: face, speech, actions

In any relationship, if the person talks nicely to us, or does what we like, or talks to our satisfaction, we are pleased. We have some concepts, if their actions and words are in sync with our thoughts and concepts, liking, that is when we tend to think favourably of that person.

This alone decides our love for that person. Thus our love is selfish!

Here it is the opposite: here despite Krishna looking down on them and spoiling their castles and teasing them, they love him.
This would mean that Krishna’s demeanour is one of seeking to control, or so it would seem. Why do we feel so?

Usually the person who is the object of our love may in order to not lose our attention, love etc, may pretend that they agree with us or think like us etc.. and may even do actions to make it seem as if they like us... but in fact they are controlling us through their deceit. Because they want to control us. We do likewise; in an attempt to control a person or a relationship we enforce our standards on another. We have some likes and dislikes and we say the other should do as we like, as we speak, as we think, and thus we place a standard on our expectation from that person. Therefore ‘only if he speaks like I would like to be spoken to, will I believe that he loves me.’

But if it is the opposite of our expectation, then we don’t want to even see him; but here, Krishna is neither talking nor acting like the gopis imagine in their fantasy. Yet they are getting mesmerised. To make matters worse, Krishna’s face is so attractive, as if casting a spell on them, mesmerising them.

Then again, the person who is the object of our love, if he or she is not reciprocating in accordance with our expectation or standards, we will scold him/her, speak badly to him/her, and send him/her away. Andal does not do any of this.

Andal says to Krishna:
You think we are weak, but that is true, we are weak! : Andal has realised that. But many do not realise that. We think we are powerful with our abilities and skills. Whereas that is not so. The other side to this thought is that, even if we truly realise that we are weak, we throw up our hands and give up trying harder. But not our Andal and gopis! They won’t sit quiet; they continue to do the maximum to get Krishna...

The essence of pure relationships and pure love cannot be based on a desire to control or a desire to have expectations met.

Here it will be apt to quote Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda’s quote:
We like someone ‘because of’, we love someone ‘in spite of...’

Hari Om

vande guruparamparam
BrKutastha

Postby BrKutastha » Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 am

Chapter II Verse 5

Topic: Understanding True Love

Translation: Seeing the sand castles that we have made with the white soft sands all through the streets, the people wonder at our skills. Even though You destroy these, we do not get angry; instead our heart runs melting towards You (in love). Madhava – You cheat, Keshava, that which is (seen) in your face, is not in your eyes at all.

Explanation:

We might have seen in several cases - the whole world may praise a person, yet in his own house nobody would have understood his value; or, the one we love the most, that one would not have reciprocal value for us!

Here Andal tells Krishna that all the people who had passed by the roads have wondered at the beauty and the perfection of the sand castles that had been made by her and her friends. Everybody had praised them for their skills and efforts seeing the art structures that they have created with such soft sands. But these praises did not make her and her friends happy.

They would have got hope if “Mandmadhan” had come and seen these artistic sand castles. That had not happened yet.
When they saw Krishna come by, at first they were overjoyed, because they had made all these efforts only to unite with Him. But HE did not even seem to look at the beauty of the sand castles and more than that, He started destroying them.
So now Andal and friends are telling HIM “that which are on your face, are not eyes at all”, as though shouting at HIM, to say: “if you really have eyes, YOU would have surely enjoyed the beautiful sand castles.” They are really angry with HIM and it is natural also as all their efforts had gone waste, because Krishna is destroying their sand castles. But they are also telling HIM “we do not get angry with you; instead our heart runs melting towards You (in love).”

Now, the Gopis should have got really very angry with Krishna and we should not forget all this anger is born out of Love for ‘Krishna’ which will again only increase the Love for HIM. In that sense they are calling HIM by name: You are a cheat, Madhava. You know for sure why we are doing all this. Yet you are acting as if you do not know anything about what is in our mind! You are actually enjoying the beauty of the sand castles but still you are destroying them as if you do not like them.
You are a cheat, Madhava. You know what is in our mind - that really we are angry with YOU. Yet YOU are not allowing that anger to grow and YOU are changing the mind which had become hard in anger, instantly, to melt and run towards you in love.

When we are in true love with Bhagavan, with all the trouble in our life, even though, sometimes we may get angry with Bhagavan the mind which is becoming hard with the vagaries of life, will instantly melt and run towards Bhagavan.

Hari Om
Vande Guruparamparaam!
BrKutastha

Postby BrKutastha » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Hari Om Helen,

Thank you very much for your appreciation. By Lord's grace and Gurudev's blessings - I will start again mananam on 'Nachiar Thirumozhi' soon.

If you don't mind - can you give a short introduction of yourself? like you are from Which place? How long you have been reading Thiruppavai etc?

In Shri Guru Smiriti
Kutastha
BrKutastha

Postby BrKutastha » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Om Sri Chinmayasatgurave namah

Chapter II Verse 6

Topic: Builder of Bridges, Breaker of Castles

Translation: "We are not even grown up women. We are little girls, who have not even attained the full maturity (growth) of the feminine body. What all you do throughout the day in the name of 'playing with our sand castles' (destroying them)! But we have not learnt the art of understanding your (those) actions. O' that greatly celebrated Keshava - One who build bridge over the sea and destroyed the Rakshasa kulas with their roots and crushed Lanka, please do not torture us."

Explanation:
In simple expressions Andal brings highest philosophy and great devotion simultaneously.
She says “we are still little girls. We are unable to understand the motives behind your actions. You are always destroying our sand castles. May be matured souls can understand your actions - the reason behind your actions.”
In the name of spirituality – we do some kind of mechanical actions thereby imagining ourselves that the Lord will be satisfied by these activities. Then we wait for the good result for our so called devotion shown to the Lord. But in the end we get opposite result, trouble and failures. Finally we blame the Lord for everything, saying, “I did so much for you, what have you gone and done to me/my life?”

We will be confused or worried when we are faced with more difficulties in our spiritual progress also.

We will question the Lord –. O’ Lord we want you and for that we are doing whatever we can at our level of understanding ( indicating some kind of spiritual practices). That too, O’ Lord, we are unable to do sincerely, continuously. Some kind of obstacles come and blocks our progress. Why should obstacles come while we try to practice noble things? You know we are doing all this for you, then why these hindrances? Dealing with all this, our mind is distracted and loses its energy. How tough all this is! It is You who is creating these obstacles!
“We are not able to understand you. [As if to say, we are not such evolved souls that we will understand the ‘why’ of your actions! Here Andal uses the comparative of the physical body’s growth to depict innocence and claim consequent ignorance.]

“Are you not the One who built that bridge (Rama Setu) to Lanka, just so that you could go and save another young lady like us, Sita? Then you went there and killed/destroyed the evil forces, just so that you could rescue Sita for Yourslef. We don’t understand. You could do such a huge task like this, but here we young girls, commensurate with our little minds, we have built sand castles, that is all, to please you, to impress you. But why are you destroying our castles? And when you do that our minds also get confused and disturbed, allowing angry thoughts (demons) to enter our minds. Neither are you helping us unite with you nor are you appreciating our worship (castles being built for Krishna) nor are you destroying the demons in our mind!

We know you can easily destroy these Rakshasas – after all you did destroy all the rakshasa-s in Lanka!

Please do not torture us by spoiling our efforts.

Hari Om
Vande Guruparamparaam!
BrKutastha

Postby BrKutastha » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Hari Om to All,
Salutations.

I am sorry that I have been unable to post further verses for close to six months. Reasons are varied, but for now let me say I am happy to be able to post again. With the celebrated of all months, "Margazhi", coming up, writing about Andal's devotion will be more inspired! So I have started with the 6th verse in the previous posting.

Hari Om
Vande Guruparamparaam
BrKutastha

Previous

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas