Bhaja Govindam study group...

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Bhaja Govindam study group...

Postby murugans61 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Hari OM

On this auspicious Shivratri day, let us seek the blessings and guidance of Lord Shiva, Adi Sankara, Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji for the online satsang on Bhaja Govindam.

Pujya Gurdev in his introduction chapter ( Bhaja Govindam Commentary by Swami Chinmayananda, published by CCMT,Mumbai) brings out the glory of Bhaja Govindam as below:

“ Bhaja Govindam is one of the seemingly smaller but, in fact, extremely important works of Adi Sankara. Here the fundamentals of Vedanta are taught in simple, musical verses so that, even from early childhood, the children of the rishis can grow up amidst the melody of Advaita. The musical rhythm in these stanzas makes it easy even for children to remember and repeat these pregnant verses. For an intelligent person, a sincere study of this poem can remove all delusions (moha), and so the poem is also called Moha Mudgara”

Let us start the online satsang on Bhaja Govindam from today.
To start with, may I request all those who are interested to join this satsang to give their names and a brief self introduction. Also indicate whether you have the book Bhaja Govindam, Commentary by Swami Chinmayananda and E Vedanta course study material on Bhaja Govindam.
If you have any suggestions on how this satsang is to be run, kindly give your opinion. In my view, the Bhagavat Gita / Sadhana Panchagam forum format are perfectly fine. i.e each one of the participant will post a verse with meaning in turns, which will be supplemented by individual reflections followed by practical questions and discussions.
Look forward to all your guidance, support and enthusiastic participation in the journey through BhajaGovindam.
Pranams
murugan
murugans61

Postby uma » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:22 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

I am Uma, from Mumbai and am interested in joining this Bhaj Govindam Forum.

I do have Bhaj Govindam book with Swami Chinmayanandaji's commentary on it, but the book is in marathi.

And I have E Vedanta course material too.

The format in which Bhagvad Geeta forum is run, is absolutely fine.

Looking forward to the postings in this forum.

Thanks and Regards

uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Muruganji.

My brief intro -

I am Padmaja from California USA. I have completed Foundation E Vedanta, Advanced E Vedanta and Easy Sanskrit Online course of CIF. I have Bhaja Govindam book and E Vedanta course material with me. The format of Sadhana Panchakam and Gita study group is fine by me. I am interested in participating in this study group.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Hari OM Umaji and Padmajaji
With your valuable presence in this Bhaja Govindam discussion forum, I am sure all of us will be able to get a clear distinction between nithya and anithya, sadhana and sadhya and get our moha resolved to a great extent.
We will wait for the week end to get over ( hopefully some more participants will join), and start the discussions from Monday/Tuesday.
By the way, I am Ramalingam Murugan and I am working in Doha.
Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Since one of the aims of this forum is to 'connect with other students', may I take liberty to write about association of Shri Murugan ji and Smt Umaji with CIF ? Shri Murugan ji and Smt Umaji has completed Foundation and Advanced E Vedanta course of CIF and I think Umaji has also completed Easy Sanskrit Online course of CIF (Muruganji and Umaji please correct me as needed).

In short, we all are CIF students :D and looking forward to connecting with other fellow CIF students through this discussion forum. Please do join us...
Padmaja

Postby meera » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 am

Hari Om !!!!

May I join too please? I am meera and am on the last stage of Advanced Vedanta Course.
Pardon me for being late. I was waiting for some intimation to come to students through email and that was to cue my opening the DF pages as well...

Just happened to pass by and noticed we are about to begin!

Hari Om and greetings to you all...such pleasure to be studying together again!

Hari Om
meera
meera

Postby meera » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 am

Hari Om !!!!

May I join too please? I am meera and am on the last stage of Advanced Vedanta Course.
Pardon me for being late. I was waiting for some intimation to come to students through email and that was to cue my opening the DF pages as well...

Just happened to pass by and noticed we are about to begin!

Hari Om and greetings to you all...such pleasure to be studying together again!

Hari Om
meera
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 am

Hari OM Padmajaji

Thank you for the additions to our profile. Recently I enrolled myself in the Easy Sanskrit online course ( new year resolution!). I find it excellent ( i have zero exposure to reading and writing devanagri scripts) and request all those who have not enrolled for this course to join soon.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Hari OM Meeraji
Thank you for joining.It is wonderful to have you with us in the forum and learn from your valuable inputs.
pranams
murugans61

Postby vignesh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 am

Pranams

Glad to see a new study forum on Bhajagovindam and would like to be a part of it. Due to time constraints, i may not be regular in my posts but i will participate as much as i can and learn from every one's posts.
regards
vignesh
vignesh

Postby meera » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Thank you Muruganji....
I look forward to the study commencing...
Hari Om.
meera

Postby murugans61 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:56 am

Hari OM

With the grace of PujyaGurudev and PujyaGuruji and Bagavan Adi Sankara, let us start our study of Bhaja Govindam.

Request you to post the verse, word by word meaning and a brief meaning of the verse.

Padmajaji - V1 Opening stanza
Meeraji - V2
Umaji - V3
Murugan - V4 & collation of all 4 verses in order
By All - Individual reflections on all 4 verses
Padmajaji - Discussion questions.
By all - Discussions

Although there need not be any time pressure, it is suggested to complete the above by end March.
Since there are 31 verses ( including the opening stanza), if we take 3 verses in a month, we can complete this satsang by end of 2011.( no need to be under time pressure, this is only an indicative guideline for a time discipline).

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Prostrations to the Lord, Bhagavan Adi Shankara, Pujya Gurudev, Pujya Guruji, all Acharyas, all study group members and readers of this forum...

MOHA-MUDGARA

Verse 1:

भज गोविन्दं भज गोविन्दं |
गोविन्दं भज मूढमते |
संप्राप्ते संन्निहिते काले |
न हि न हि रक्षति डुकृञ करणे ॥१॥

bhajagovindam bhajagovindam
govindam bhaja moodhamathe
samprapte sannihite kaale
nahi nahi rakshati dukrinkarane

भज - seek, गोविन्दं - Govinda मूढमते - O Fool ! संप्राप्ते - (When) comes संन्निहिते - appointed काले - time (death)
न हि - surely never रक्षति - saves डुकञ करणे - grammar rule (डुकृञ) - to do

Seek Govind, Seek Govind, Seek Govind, O Fool ! When the appointed time comes (death), grammar rules surely will not save you.
Padmaja

Postby meera » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 am

Hari Om,

Prostrations to the whole Guru Parampara.

Sadashiva samarambham, shankaracharya madhyamaam
Asmadaacharya paryantaam, vande guruparamparaam!

मूढ़ जहीहि धनागम तृष्णाम |
कुरुसद्बुद्धिम मनसी वितृष्णाम |
याल्लाभासे निज्कर्मोपात्तम
वित्तं तेना विनोदय चित्तं ||
(भज गोविन्दं, भज गोविन्दं ....) (२)

Mudha jahiihi Dhanagamatrsnaam
Kuru Sadbuddhim Manasi Vitrsnaam
Yallabhase Nijakarmopattam
Vittam Tena Vinodaya Cittam (2)
(Bhaja Govindam, Bhaja Govindam...)

मूढ़ = O fool! जहीहि= give up; धन आगम तृष्णाम = the thirst to possess wealth; कुरु= create; सद्बुद्धिम = thoughts of Reality; मनसि = in (your) mind; वितृष्णाम = devoid of passion; यत = with whatever. लभसे =you get (as a reward of the past); निज कर्म : by your actions; उपात्तं = obtained. वित्तं=the wealth; तेन - with that; विनोदय = entertain; चित्तं = (your) mind;

O Fool! Give up the thirst to possess wealth. Create in your mind, devoid of passions, thoughts of the Reality. With whatever you get (as a reward of the past), entertain your mind (be content).. [Seek Govind, Seek Govind!.....]
meera

Postby uma » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 am

Hari Om. Pranam.

Posting Verse 3

Verse 3 :

नारीस्तनभरनाभीदेशं
दृष्ट्वा मा गा मोहावेशं ।
एतन्मांसवसादि विकारं
मनसि विचिन्त्य वारं वारं ॥ ३ ॥
(भज गोविन्दं भज गोविन्दं )

नारीस्तनभर नाभीदेशं दृष्ट्वा - seeing the full bosom of young maidens and their navel , मोहावेशं मा गा - do not fall prey to the maddening delusion, एतत मांसवसा आदि विकारं (अस्ति ) - all these are just modifications (vikaras) of flesh and fat, (इति ) मनसि वारं वारं विचिन्तय - think like this in mind again and again

3. Seeing the full bosom of young maidens and their navel, do not fall prey to maddening delusion. This is but a modification of flesh and fat. Think well thus in your mind again and again.

( Seek Govind seek Govind )

Regards

uma
uma

Postby meera » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 am

Hari Om Muruganji,

I won't be able to access DF until Saturday I think as I am travelling. Grateful if you can wait after you have posted the unified verses, till I come?

Hari Om...
meera

Postby murugans61 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am

Hari OM

Verse 4:

Nalineedalagata Jalamatitaralam
Tadvajjeevitamatisaya Chapalam
Viddhi Vyaadhyabhimaanagrastam
Lokam Sokahatam Cha Samastam
( Bhaja Govindam, Bhaja Govindam ….)

Nalineedalagata jalam-The water (drop) playing on a lotus petal ( is)
Ati-Extremely
Taralam-Uncertain (existence)
Tadvat-So
Jeevatam-Life
Atisaya-Ever ( greatly)
Chapalam-Unstable
Viddhi-Understand
Vyaadhi abhiman grastam-Consumed by disease and conceit
Lokam-The world
Soka-With pangs
Hatam-Is (riddled) beset
Cha-And
Samastam-Whole

The water- drop playing on a lotus petal has an extremely uncertain existence; so also is life ever unstable. Understand, the very world is consumed by disease and conceit, and is riddled with pangs.
( Seek Govind, Seek Govind…)

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 am

Hari OM Vigneshji

Welcome to the forum.
We look forward to your valuable inputs as per your convenience.
Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 am

Hari OM

Given below are the first four verses and word meanings taken for our study. Kindly post your individual reflections, thoughts & study notes on this set of four verses. (Meeraji, as this is an individual exercise, you may kindly post your reflections upon your return)

Prostrations to Jagatguru Adi Sankara.

MOHA-MUDGARA
Verse 1 – verse 4
Verse 1:

भज गोविन्दं भज गोविन्दं |
गोविन्दं भज मूढमते |
संप्राप्ते संन्निहिते काले |
न हि न हि रक्षति डुकृञ करणे ॥१॥

bhajagovindam bhajagovindam
govindam bhaja moodhamathe
samprapte sannihite kaale
nahi nahi rakshati dukrinkarane

भज - seek, गोविन्दं - Govinda मूढमते - O Fool ! संप्राप्ते - (When) comes संन्निहिते - appointed काले - time (death)
न हि - surely never रक्षति - saves डुकञ करणे - grammar rule (डुकृञ) - to do

Seek Govind, Seek Govind, Seek Govind, O Fool ! When the appointed time comes (death), grammar rules surely will not save you.

Verse 2:
मूढ़ जहीहि धनागम तृष्णाम |
कुरुसद्बुद्धिम मनसी वितृष्णाम |
याल्लाभासे निज्कर्मोपात्तम
वित्तं तेना विनोदय चित्तं ||
(भज गोविन्दं, भज गोविन्दं ....) (२)

Mudha jahiihi Dhanagamatrsnaam
Kuru Sadbuddhim Manasi Vitrsnaam
Yallabhase Nijakarmopattam
Vittam Tena Vinodaya Cittam (2)
(Bhaja Govindam, Bhaja Govindam...)

मूढ़ = O fool! जहीहि= give up; धन आगम तृष्णाम = the thirst to possess wealth; कुरु= create; सद्बुद्धिम = thoughts of Reality; मनसि = in (your) mind; वितृष्णाम = devoid of passion; यत = with whatever. लभसे =you get (as a reward of the past); निज कर्म : by your actions; उपात्तं = obtained. वित्तं=the wealth; तेन - with that; विनोदय = entertain; चित्तं = (your) mind;

O Fool! Give up the thirst to possess wealth. Create in your mind, devoid of passions, thoughts of the Reality. With whatever you get (as a reward of the past), entertain your mind (be content).. [Seek Govind, Seek Govind!.....]

Verse 3 :

नारीस्तनभरनाभीदेशं
दृष्ट्वा मा गा मोहावेशं ।
एतन्मांसवसादि विकारं
मनसि विचिन्त्य वारं वारं ॥ ३ ॥

नारीस्तनभर नाभीदेशं दृष्ट्वा - seeing the full bosom of young maidens and their navel , मोहावेशं मा गा - do not fall prey to the maddening delusion, एतत मांसवसा आदि विकारं (अस्ति ) - all these are just modifications (vikaras) of flesh and fat, (इति ) मनसि वारं वारं विचिन्तय - think like this in mind again and again

3. Seeing the full bosom of young maidens and their navel, do not fall prey to maddening delusion. This is but a modification of flesh and fat. Think well thus in your mind again and again.

( Seek Govind seek Govind )

Verse 4:

Nalineedalagata Jalamatitaralam
Tadvajjeevitamatisaya Chapalam
Viddhi Vyaadhyabhimaanagrastam
Lokam Sokahatam Cha Samastam
( Bhaja Govindam, Bhaja Govindam ….)

Nalineedalagata jalam-The water (drop) playing on a lotus petal ( is)
Ati-Extremely
Taralam-Uncertain (existence)
Tadvat-So
Jeevatam-Life
Atisaya-Ever ( greatly)
Chapalam-Unstable
Viddhi-Understand
Vyaadhi abhiman grastam-Consumed by disease and conceit
Lokam-The world
Soka-With pangs
Hatam-Is (riddled) beset
Cha-And
Samastam-Whole

The water- drop playing on a lotus petal has an extremely uncertain existence; so also is life ever unstable. Understand, the very world is consumed by disease and conceit, and is riddled with pangs.
( Seek Govind, Seek Govind…)
Pranams to you all.
murugans61

Postby meera » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Hari Om....

My observations and thoughts:

The primary essence of these 4 verses seek to convey that this life we have is for a given purpose, ie finding our way back to Bhagawan. But in the process we will be distracted by the grazing of our sense organs in their field of activity. A lot of these will provide a seeming joy and a seeming sorrow as well. We are to stay blinkered and focussed on the path we need to be on and not be distracted by these 'joys'

Bhaja or भज is also the root word from which we get the word Bhakti. The call here is to stay in devotion to Govinda and not to the fleeting pleasures of the world. Jesus too urges in the Bible, Let there be One God. By that He means let your devotion not be divided. 'God' here means the object of your joy, your completeness, your happiness. The stream to which you go when thirsty. Sankara says there will be many objects that will beckon to you and peddle its happiness giving ability. Each of these will only give you a fleeting, temporary happiness, and a happiness that will be tainted by the three flaws of impermenance, inadequacy and losability. We can choose to be distracted by all these but then we will not attain the purpose of this human life.

Hence Bhaj Govindam or stay devoted to the One fountain of joy: Govinda or Supreme.

The reference to grammar rules is interesting. The background to this is a small episode in Sankara’s life where he met a grammarian who was reciting the rules of grammar. Thereon Sankara demolishes the accent on grammar. Two meanings can be taken from this demolishing of grammar rules: a) The big picture of living this life is realising one’s self and attaining to Bhagawan. Don’t get caught in the details like grammar. For example while reading a great book on say Tukaram, one can look at it as a great piece of literature, or a terrific essay in English or the life of a saint. If one dissects the grammar and says ‘poorly written’ the essential story of a great saint is lost... ditto if one examines it as literature and not as the life of a saint.
b) The other meaning is that this whole life is a means to an end, Bhagawan. The pains and sorrows, joys and happiness of life are akin to grammar rules; they only enable creating a structure to life, but should not become the focus of our living. So the knowledge of physics or commerce or where fork should be placed and how a napkin is to be folded are ok in their very small contexts but cannot become the essence of our contemplation. They are like grammar rules, ok from vyavaharik standpoint, but should not cloud our focus.

In wallowing in the joys of the material world, or in being pulled back by the pains of the material world we only lose sight of the main purpose of this life. In fact we need to undertsand that this life is not been given to see how much happiness you can farm here, how much sorrow you battle, no. All these will happen, joys will come, sorrows will come, shocks will come, pains will go... but we should not be swayed by these. Better still our identification with these have to be nil. Only then the devotion to Govinda is maximised, attained. For that is the fountainhead of our existence...and our joy.

Hari Om
meera

Next

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas