Bhaja Govindam study group...

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Bhaja Govindam study group...

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 am

Hari Om
verse 23
Let one realize the illusory and essenceless nature of the world by asking questions as; who are you? who am I?
who are my father and mother?where from we are? such a subjective enquiry will reveal the vanity and emptiness
of the world and lead us to self realisation.To know oneself is the most profitable knowledge.A right and healthy
relationship between me and the objects-and- beings around me can be maintained from the standpoint
of my awareness and understanding of myself.In our wrong understanding of ourselves, we become abnormal and
act accordingly.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 am

Hari Om

Verse 24

In you, in me,and in all other places too there is one all-pervading reality the Vishnu.Seeing the students
difficulty in understanding this subtle truth the teacher says that there is no point of getting angry. Have
patience and and by the way of constant repetition alone this truth can be conveyed. In order to practice
this truth in our day to day experiences we have to practice equanimity of mind.this is accomplished through
1-dedicated action 2-devotation to lord,3-service of mankind, 4-contemplation on the highest and by constant
study and reflection.Bhagavat Geeta advices cultivation of this trait as one of the most essential preparation
for Jnana,to remain unshaken both in desirable and undesirable circumstances.Equal vision in all beings and things
Once we are able to practice this even mindedness in all beings and things in any of the situations we can
experience the true self and lead us to the state of liberation. This is the experience of vishnutvam.
sathiavathi

Postby shaliniprasadk7 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Verse 23:
When i , in my ignorance of my own identity, assume to be someone, then i come to assume various relationships, duties and actually a whole world of experiences. This is exactly my state at this moment. The only way for me to come out of this world of experience is to go to the root of the issue and enquire as to who i really am.To do this enquiry, i have to remove myself from this viswam or in other words, during my enquiry i must leave aside the viswam(world of experience), seeing the essencelessness of this viswam. Then, i realize that this viswam is nothing but a figment of my imagination!!
Another way to interpret the last line is - Leaving aside the world of experience (waking state), analyze the dream (swapnavicharam)...this will make me see that the waking world is also nothing but another dream state alone!!

Verse 24:
The advaitic concept of oneness is discussed here. Since we are in ignorance and that is where the world of plurality exists, the Guru is patiently trying to take us from this plurality to oneness. The attempt is to make us see that thread which connects all the apparent names and forms in the world of plurality. This is not an easy task and requires a lot of patience along with sincere efforts and grace of the Guru.The path is also told to us in a very simple way- stay undisturbed in all circumstances!! This itself is the goal for many of us!! To reach this goal, we need to purify our mind by reducing quantity of thoughts, improving quality of thoughts and setting the direction of our thoughts towards the goal. This is done with a combination of bhakti, karma and jnana yoga, and always backed by vichara. This will surely and quickly lead us to Vishnutwam . Vishnu means all pervading...when i am samachitta or equipoised i will naturally see oneness in all and thus go beyond the world of plurality...this itself means i am all pervading then- Vishnutwam!!

The key word in this stanza is Vanchasi yadi achirad Vishnutwam- This makes me review my Mumukshatwam status- How intensley do I desire to have liberation and how urgent is it for me to fulfil it?!! My sadhana will be as intense as my mumukshatwam...hence i have no right to feel impatient if i am not progressing enough in my sadhana...it only indicates my mumukshatwam is not strong enough!!

Hari Om!
shaliniprasadk7

Postby murugans61 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Reflections on V 23 & V 24:

Who I am, who is my mother, who is my father, from where do all these people come and what is their nature.

Let us take a physical object called body and analyze. It is a bundle of blood, bone, flesh etc. If we analyze each part, they are bundles of something else. If we take a cell and analyze, it is a chain of molecules, atoms, sub atomic particles etc etc. Like peeling an onion, the entire thing can be peeled off to Non substantial Nama Rupa – particles or energy in motion which are constantly changing. Not only the body, but the whole world is Non substantial ever changing Nama Rupa.

If I am going to hold on to this changing unstable world, how can I get stability?

Therefore, I need to find out the ultimate truth, the Govinda, which appears as Name and Form and learn to depend on it for my stability. I need to give up my passion, attachment, emotional leaning and obsession with the unstable, changing, fleeting Nama Rupa. In my dream, they are solid, but when I wake up, they disappear.

The whole world is like a card board chair – it is for show and decoration and not for sitting, leaning and depending.
World dependence to Govinda dependence is intelligence.

Behind the varieties of Namarupa, Govinda is the ultimate substance. Varieties are superficial and Essential is Govinda. If we focus on the superficial, raga dvesha, kama, krodha, moha, lobha, mada, matcharya etc will come. If we focus on the Essential, we can become one with it. Children, who play with the zoological biscuits, quarrel that their lion biscuit or elephant biscuit or tiger biscuit is the best, without realizing that sugar and wheat is the basic substratum of all of them.

We get angry with people, events and situations unnecessarily and waste our valuable time. If we have to march towards our ultimate goal of attaining moksha, we need to have objectivity and samatvam and constantly seek Govinda.

pranams
murugans61

Postby meera » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Hari Om.......

Verse 23

How much we blame the jiva for being ignorant. It’s unfair. He is what he is. He does not even have the memory of the past, then how will he know what he is here for?

And then we keep telling the jiva, oh ignorant fool!

Now we will inform the jiva, that there is a truth about himself that he has not been told. That Bhagawan has kept it away from him and expects him to figure it out through trial and error.

But no need for that. We will accept that jiva-hood is this silly game of treasure hunt where we have to find out who we are. We are given food and clothes, an opportunity to read and write and we use all of this to pass through this world. These sense organs, this mind, this intellect, the air and the sun, the waters in the rivers and the light of the moon... all this will be your equipment during this ride through this life. All you are supposed to do is find out who you are. You need nothing else.

You are born to other people who were born to other people who were born to yet other people... and so on.

There will be a structure in which you live—this is only to protect you from the elements. It is called a house. Some idle people have occupied their mind to create seeming comfort in these structures called houses by telling you that is 'home'. To drive hom that point they have fitted it with more things to help you eat well and sleep well....Don;t get attached to its comfort, it will ensnare you. There will be other people around you, some called siblings, some called relatives. Some called friends... all these are labels we give to people we know in a given way. There will be objects that you will need while you live here. Some pots and pans to cook your meal, some garments to cover the body from the elements, some footwear to cover the feet.

In this manner there will be things and people. Relate to these intelligently. They are all here to only help you cross over this life. None of them last. None are real therefore. If you don;t see them for what they are, then you will see them for what they are not. And this misapprehension will cause you to relate to them as things they are not which will delude you and make fun of you.

The best thing is to not worry about anything outside of yourself. They will change appearance and form and it is the very nature of your mind to show them to you as what they are not. The mind is like the funny mirror you will see in fairs. This mind will change objects and people to seem very different and real from what they are so that you will be attracted to them and want to own them. But truth is, even when you own them, they continue to do onky what they can do, they don;t become anything more. But the mind will tell you that its ownership will work magic.

Thus the more you keep wading in life’s things and people, you will find yourself occupied and analysing them. That whole thing is an everchanging screen which will keep you enthralled and ensnared.

So much so that you will forget what you came here for. You came here to find out your relationship to this world and to God. God is that which caused your occurrence on this earth. What is your relationship with this God? Only when you find that out can you leave this place! Can’t you see how scary the proposition is?

The key to your exiting this strange place is with you -- control the mind and the senses, these were just gags planted in you to test you...but master them and teach them to help in your treasure hunt...if you lose control over them, they will run wild...and drag you with them. So it's a double whammy: your mind on the inside and this strange place on the outside -- called the world, it will woo you, ensnare you then get you into myriad messes and soups...and whip up your mind into a cesspool of anxiety and sorrow...then follow it up by some extreme joy to sustain you for the next bout of utter sorrow...and if you want to get out, you will have to find the key! ...don’t succumb to the dance of life.

Here is the catch. The mind will feign exhaustion and ask for a little fun and you will give in. And it will wander through this enchanting imaginary garden...but every step it takes it is sinking deeper and deeper into this quicksand and adding unto itself more and more vasana-s. Oh? You don’t know vasana-s? They didn’t tell you? Heck, this vasana is like negative marking. If you take what you like you will add a point to yourself. And every point you add to yourself you sink deeper and become that much more a slave of this life. Those points only make it more difficult for you to find the key, nothing else.

To cut a long story short, to find the key you need a mind that is desire free, (oh, desire is the virus that causes vasana affliction), fearless (fear is what grips you when you have been around very long and gotten used to this world, so that you forget your own Home and worry about losing this place), and only thinking of Home (btw, this is not your home, this is the kidnapper’s den, have you forgotten that already?) See, that is what this world has done to you. It has made you believe this is where you belong, but your Home is not this.

What do you mean, ‘then what is all this?’ All this is a projection to tease you and frighten you and the attachment you feel for this world is nothing but the Stockholm syndrome....Solution? Call out to your parent, Govinda....keep calling out again and again, He will find you.

Verse 24

So who are all these other people in this world, you ask. They are also lost like you. But those who found Father, (yes we are all brothers and sisters, our Parent is One) they have reached Home and from there they urge us to pay attention to Govinda. To keep the mind single pointed. And don’t let it worry or fear or desire or hate or anything. Because all that is make-believe.

Yes while you are yet here all kinds of things will disturb you, all kinds of standards will be imposed upon you such as this is right that is not right, this is smart, this is successful, this is fame etc... there will be invitations from all these clubs (name, fame, success, love, glory, winner, loser, etc) to be their member, you don’t need them...don’t subscribe to any of these... keep the mind the same under all circumstances...because even a small shift and you are the devil’s prey. So to steer clear of these, serve the world, lift the fallen, help the downtrodden, feed the hungry, read the scriptures which those who have reached the other side have decoded, simplified and left here for you, think of Home and how glorious your Father & Mother is.

And be patient. Don;t employ the viruses that have been transplanted into you, viruses like anger, hatred, jealousy etc... disable them completely. Oh yes, this world and this life has so many hidden traps... all you need to do is do your duty without expecting anything, and keep chanting Govinda...keep seeking Him, for that is where you are headed.. remember that.

One little secret.... you start looking for Him, please? Don't worry, much before half way, He will find you and take you Home...

Hari Om.......
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 am

Hari OM

Thank you all for your wonderful reflections and explantions on verse 23 and 24.

Let us take up next two verses for our study and reflection.

Posting verse 25 - Kumarji
Posting verse 26 - Sathiavathiji

Reflections - Umaji, Shaliniji, Sathiavathiji, Kumarji, Murugan

Summary, key takehome points, discussion points if any - Meeraji.

pranams
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:00 am

Hari Om

VERSE- 26

Kamam Krodham Lobham Moham
Tyaktva tmanam Pasyati Soham
Atmajnana- Vihina Mudha
Ste Pacyante Narakanigudhah.
(Bhaja Govindam Bhaja Govindam....)

Kamam- desire, Krodham- anger, Lobham- greed, Moham- delusion, Tyaktva- having left, Atmanam- the self, Pasyati- see, (the seeker) sa- He am I,

Atmajnana Vihina- those who have no self knowledge, Mudha- the fools Ste- they, Pacyante- are tortured, Narakanigudhah- in hell captives, Bhaja- seek

Govindam- Govind

Leaving off desire, anger, greed, and delusion, make self enquiry: who am I? They are fools who have no self knowledge and they consequently are captives in hell and are tortured.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Hari Om

Verse--25

The whole universe has been emerged out from the one womb of reality.All are His manifestations alone,including me.If there is only only one self, then who is foe and who is friend,who is son and who is a relation?
If there is no duality, how can there be union and partings, friendly meetings and war like encounters? If any one has to be regarded as friend or foe at all,then, we must say that self is the friend of self, self is the foe of self.Seeking the self every where, lift the sense of difference born out of ignorance.
Beneath the surface of the flesh and its fatigues, behind the mind and its greedness, hidden under the intellect and its vulgarities, there runs the enchanting chore of beauty the truth.We must practice to experience
this truth and to rise above the difference.He, you, I,and they, have a meaning only with reference to the body.Seek the one vitalising force which holds together the whole universe into one garland of beauty.
The universe is a cosmos not a chaos.There exists a mutual affinity, a scientific law,a rhythum of mutual relationship inwhich the entire living world is held to gether. To assume difference in the world is to belie
this great one ness in life.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Hari Om

Verse--26

In this verse the author Bharti Vamsa is explaining the conditions under which the seeker reaches the state of God-realisation.Desire is the longing for objects.When that longing is obstructed or frustated,
there arises anger. If these two are given up one becomes eligible for meditation.Greed is the inability to bear the giving up of objects. Delusion is the erroneous knowledge that is mistaking the nonreal
for the real and the real for the nonreal. One should leave all these desire, greed, anger and delusion and should engage oneself in self enquiry.Let one seek the answer to the question who am I?
I am not the body then who am I? I am He. The one who is functioning in our body is the Atman.The same Atman functioning in all beings is the Isvara or the Brahman.When this duelity is given up
the self is realised to be nonduel.Through right knowledge reject what you are not, and assert the real nature, and come to realize the oneness of the life in us and the life every where present.
Without this knowledge, one is a fool. Such a one suffers in the hell of samsara.He is tortured with his own non-apprehension of reality.
sathiavathi

Postby murugans61 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Hari OM

Thank you Sathiavathiji for bringing out the importance of Self Knowledge in your reflections, very nicely.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 am

Hari OM

V 25 & V 26

Everyone us is a bundle of raga dvesha gathered in the past. These raga dveshas are so well entrenched in the mind, we never look at the world objectively, the way Bagavan has given us. We look at the world with our colored eye wearing our raga dvesha goggles. We don’t live in the world of Bagavan but live in our world of friends and enemies. Constantly every moment we generate friends and foes with our actions and we are busy patching up , reconciliation and get into variety of unnecessary exercises, wasting our life. We are advised not to waste our time like this and instead spend the time usefully for higher goal of seeking Govinda, our Self.

Internal obstacles to spiritual growth are explained in verse 26. These obstacles are within us and it is difficult to run away from them physically.
Kama – obsession or passion towards the external world with extroverted mind.
Krodha – Anger, which happens when kama is not fulfilled, which disturbs takes away the mind from spiritual goal.
Lobha – Greed to possess more and more
Moha – Delusion, expecting stability from unstable objects, expecting security from insecure objects of the world. Expecting poornatvam from apoorna objects, like going to a shoe shop and asking for food.

We are advised to give up our misdirected pursuits, enquire and conquer the obstacles and seek Govinda within us.

pranams
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:59 pm

HARI OM

Combining verses 25 and 26

In a loveless life of hate and meanness,of littleness of heart and limited view point, there is nothing but suffocation, sorrow and agitation.Remove all imperfections of the mind, make it pure so that
we can live in harmony with the world.The moment we start living honestly, sincerely,and unconditionally,love of the same depth and texture must reach us back.What we receive in this world is
nothing but an echo of our own hearts cry.
Angry and impatient, restless and agitated Radha could not see the hands of Krishna when he closes her eyes from behind. She protests and get worried and she fights and hawls.Once the passions of the heart are removed, truth, self evident stands revealed as the very eternal sweetness of perfection.
Desire, anger,greed and delusion, likes and dislikes and such other misapprehensions in the mind create a self made hell for man to live in and suffer continuously. Tortured by them man cries as a sorrowful
creature.
If a man is unhappy,miserable,neglected and wretched, it is only his fault and not the fault of the world.Happenings can not storm our heart. we in our false values give them importance and allow them
come in to ransak our mind with their relentless tyrany.We hate and then we see hatred reaching us from all sides. Therefore, give up desire anger and greed to live life in its full and to realize the
oneness of life in me, in you and the life every where present.
sathiavathi

HARI OM

In a loveless life of hate and meanness,of littleness of heart and limited view point, there is nothing but suffocation, sorrow and agitation.Remove all imperfections of the mind, make it pure so that
we can live in harmony with the world.The moment we start living honestly, sincerely,and unconditionally,love of the same depth and texture must reach us back.What we receive in this world is
Angry and impatient, restless and agitated Radha could not see the hands of Krishna when he closes her eyes from behind. She protests and get worried and she fights and hawls.Once the passions of the heart are removed, truth, self evident stands revealed as the very eternal sweetness of perfection.
Desire, anger,greed and delusion, likes and dislikes and such other misapprehensions in the mind create a self made hell for man to live in and suffer continuously. Tortured by them man cries as a sorrowful
creature.
If a man is unhappy,miserable,neglected and wretched, it is only his fault and not the fault of the world.Happenings can not storm our heart. we in our false values give them importance and allow them
come in to ransak our mind with their relentless tyrany.We hate and then we see hatred reaching us from all sides. Therefore, give up desire anger and greed to live life in its full and to realize the
sathiavathi

HARI OM

creature.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

HARI OM

creature.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

HARI OM

creature.
sathiavathi

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 am

HARI OM

creature.
sathiavathi

Postby murugans61 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Hari OM

Thank you all for your wonderful reflections and explantions on verse 25 and 26.

Let us take up next two verses for our study and reflection.

Posting verse 27 - Kumarji
Posting verse 28 - Sathiavathiji

Individual Reflections - By all participants.
Further Discussions if any - by all

pranams
murugans61

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas