Viveka & Vichara - weekly contemplation from Acharya Vivekji

Form your group, and discuss with your acharya(s) a selected topic. Highly recommended for study groups.

Re: Viveka & Vichara - weekly contemplation from Acharya Vivekji

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Namah Te dear All,

i hope this message finds all my fellow seekers infinitely, incessantly and independently Joyous!

What is the point of schooling?
What is the point of working?
What is the point of marrying?
What is the point of disciplining?
What is the point of anything?

The point of everything is to dismantle any and all separation. Satya is Advaita. Oneness is Truth. Philosophical and practical points on how to live ego-free is the point of our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (May 1, 2017) --- Ego Erasers

-Ego is an illusion which makes us identify with limitations such as intellect, mind, breath, body - the intellect instructs, the mind interprets, the breath inputs, the body interacts, all the equipments serve a function while the ego just lives off these functions like a parasite

-God is that which is most independent and that which is most independent is Infinite - we feel dependent, we feel finite for the ego has deluded us into feeling our core is not independent, is not Infinite and so we are not God

-Observations that even when life is 'perfect' that living is lacking, we stop gripping the world - being less worldly is a catalyst to a calm body, natural breath, quiet mind, still intellect enabling us to see through the ego

-Introspect steadily and sincerely about who we are and what is the universe - saying 'no' to indulgence, saying 'no' to materialism, saying 'no' to politics creates time in our schedules which creates space in our minds to reflect

-Silence the mouth and mind about gain - only when we give wholly do we realize that none of the resources, time and effort we gave even belonged to us that all belongs to God

-Merge the ego with God by renouncing any and every idea of individuality - if we are not being an individual we are Being

An error in one of the reflections in the last E-Vichara is referenced below with the corrected word in bold:
vandana (to love without selfishness) - philosophy: loving begins with oneself and the maturation of self-love is independence, enabling one to focus on the needs of a child rather than being needy - practice: exercise everyday enabling one to be strong enough to care for a child

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Each day pause for 10 minutes and strive to not think about yourself.

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): What are the 4 most beautiful words in our common language? I told you so.

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW):
A Retreat for our Young Adults in May in Los Angeles.
A Retreat for our Young Adults in June in Pittsburgh.
A Retreat for our Young Adults in July in Washington DC...
Join us from July 21 - 23 for...Finding the Fundamental: Peace in a Restless World. This annual young adult retreat will be led by Mukhya Swami Swaroopananda and myself as we to explore how to live substantially through Gayatri Mantra --- Direction for Young Adults (https://www.chykwest.com/dcretreat2017/)

For all those wanting to re-experience Human to Hanuman, Vichara Gurukula has initiated a YouTube Channel with the recordings from this Virtual Workshop. And stay tuned for the recordings of all our Courses (Moha Mudgara, Vedanta in Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita) which will be posted all summer long --- Human to Hanuman Workshop (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqNJVCtob00QpjFB9yILijQ)

Finally, The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra IX to Trinidad and The Chimaya Inspiration Yatra X to Bharat are steadily being filled...are you coming? --- The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra to Trinidad / Bharat (https://medium.com/vicharagurukula/yatra/home)

"Sannyasa means sacrifice. To live in a spirit of sacrifice after renouncing completely one's ego and its desires is true sannyasa." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Namah Te from Los Angeles!

i hope this message finds all my fellow seekers infinitely, incessantly and independently Joyous!

Hanuman Chalisa...focuses on bhakti right?
Advaita Vedanta...focuses on jnana right?

Actually, Hanuman Chalisa is Advaita Vedanta. WHAT?

Let us explore the complete journey from becoming a seeker to Being Svatantra, with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (May 15, 2017) --- Vedanta in a Chaupai

-For the ordinary personality, knowledge of pleasure, possession and position (outer information of competition) is utilitarian - for the extraordinary personality, Inner (antah) Knowledge (veda) of Oneness (advaita) is the only way to Peace

-Anjani Putra Pavana Suta Nama - To evolve from being an extrovert to an introvert, chitta shuddhi (quiet mind / still intellect) is required - our software is presently infected with the virus of selfishness and the program to remove this alien is constant selflessness

-Atulita Bala Dhama - The typical measure of strength is physical - the thoughtful measure of strength is mental/intellectual balance, focus and subtlety

-Duta - As long as the prerequisite of chitta shuddhi is not developed, jnana (knowledge) will not be pramana (authoritative) - when a seeker has engaged in steady and sincere sadhana, their relationship with the message of Freedom deepens from information (belief) to knowledge (faith) to wisdom (trust)

-Rama - The ever present, ever powerful, ever peaceful presence, within and without us is Rama - the difference between karma (action) and jnana (knowledge) is with the former you have to know and do, with the latter you just have to know

-Upon waking up from a dream we do not have to do anything to remove the dream or to build the waking, knowing is becoming - you are Divine, embrace this truth, know this Truth, feel this TRUTH

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Please watch this honest, hilarious and humbling interview with Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda on why our Dharma is Sanatana --- Caste Versus Casteism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxGTXadYpE)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): What is heavy forward but not backward? A ton.

Chinmaya Mission Niagara's Ashram, Dhara is going to be 10 years old! And to celebrate this beautiful milestone from Sun Aug 20 - Sun Aug 27 we are going to celebrate with a Bhagavata Sapta!!! Join us for this once in a lifetime opportunity...a week of learning about Bhagavan, a week of offering love to Bhagavan. For more information --- The Art of Dying = The Art of Living (http://www.chinmayaniagara.org/specialevents.htm)

And we finally updated our website. Please wander around to learn about our Acharyas, explore our Vedantik resources, etc. --- my Itinerary (http://www.chinmayaniagara.org/whoweare.htm)

"It is the repetitive experience of working with the teaching over time that enables us to grow deeper in understanding and to make it our own." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Namah Te dear All,

Monday, May 29 returned from Los Angeles post teaching Gita's Chapter 14 to our young adults (audio/visual recording will be available soon).
Friday, Jun 2 returned to Pittsburgh to teach Yoga Sutras to our young adults (audio recording will be available soon).

Our young adults are fortunate to gain access to these 'inaccessible' scriptures. And so are we as we explore insights into Rishi Patanjali's teachings through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (May 29, 2017) --- Will the Real Kriyayoga Please Stand Up

-yogashchittavrttinirodah - the Yoga Sutras are expounded in 4 sections: the Purpose, the Practice, the Power and the Peace - in the Purpose section, the 2nd sutra shares, transcending thoughts of the mind is yoga

-tapah svadhyayeshvarapranidhanani kriyayogah - not having studied this 1st sutra of the Practice section, many teachers and their organizations proclaim kriyayogah is asana and/or pranayama - when our shastras are not carefully examined in a parampara (lineage), naturally individual interpretations will manifest sharing asana is the ends when this is only for outer balance, sharing pranayama is the ends when this is only for inner strength

-tapah - discipline is the fire to burn down comfort zones which express as likes / dislikes - when we know there is more to living than studying, working, enjoying, we burn within and this is the catalyst to accepting we need to change

-svadhyaya - reflecting on one's limited self one comes to appreciate one's Limitless Self - we naturally and endlessly exert to know more about investments, politics, relationships, and to shift this exertion to knowing oneself is to evolve to a seeker

-ishvarapranidhana - tapah is knowing one has to change, svadhyaya is knowing how one has to change and finally ishvarapranidhana is changing by infusing every moment with the presence of Bhagavan - God is the Creator, God is the creation and living with the feeling that all that is received is from the Divine and all that is offered is to the Divine is logical

-tatah kleshakarmanivrttih - in one of the last sutras of the Peace section, Rishi Patanjali shares by immersing oneself in discipline, discrimination and devotion one is freed from the sorrow of ignorance - thus kriyayogah is not a secret, is not a phenomenon, is not a technique, kriyayogah is not a beach, is not beauty, is not a brand, for those seekers who care not for dilution, ease, popularity, kriyayogah is practicing egolessness

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): i know you have all heard/read me share about the important of Vitamin R3 (run for 30 minutes, read for 20 minutes, research for 10 minutes). Well Tony Robbins, Richard Branson, William Gates, etc. have copied me! Please read the following article on the importance of investing in one's equipments --- Daily Doings for Success (http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/06/3-things-you-should-do-every-day-if-you-want-be-successful.html)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): What 3 candies can you find in every school? Dum-Dums, Nerds and Smarties.

i know all our youth will be joining me for Greater Confidence: in One's Self, in One's Faith --- Confidence for Youth (http://jchykdc.wixsite.com/julydccamp2017)

And for those youth who want MORE...
Join us from August 11-13 in Boston for...Being Your Best: You Only Live Once (YOLO)!. This youth (rising Grade 9s to rising College 1st years) camp will be led by a Team of Acharyas as we explore the life, teachings and work of Pujya Swami Vivekananda --- Rolemodels for Youth (http://chinmayayouthcamp.weebly.com/)

Arriving in Niagara on Sun Jun 4, the next time i depart will be on Fri July 21! The last time i was in 1 country for 1 month was 5 years ago...the baby is bring rest not restlessness!!!

"Karma yoga is a way of life, and we have to live it if we want to come under its grace." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Namah Te dear All,

The only purpose of life is to develop purity of mind.
Actually when this purpose is realized a new only purpose of life evolves which is to know one's potential.
Actually when this purpose is realized a new only purpose of life evolves which is to Be Joy.

Be Joy...know one's potential..develop purity of mind. Sounds wonderful.

Where do we begin to develop purity of mind? Why at home of course! And so we begin our tour of how to invoke the shat-sampatti (six inner wealths), vital to sync in with the only purpose of life. Our guide is our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (June 12, 2017) --- Room for Religion?

-Bedroom - shama (coolness) is directing the mind towards the long term rather than the mind directing us to the short term - when our alarm clock is ringing, understand we set the alarm for good reasons and we should follow these reasons rather than comfort

-Bathroom - samadhana (focus) is concentrating on an entity entirely whereby one 'becomes' one with the entity - by focussing on just grooming we will inhibit thoughts from drifting to the past/future, we will inhibit immeasurable and irreplaceable wastage of time

-Kitchen - dama (calmness) is using the body as an equipment for a nobler purpose - by choosing the discipline of only taking a single serving the senses remain as a means never transgressing to become the ends

-Car - titiksha (endurance) is not to be rattled by the constant noise around oneself - most often when we drive we engage in all kinds of distractions to avoid listening to the source of noise, the ego, yet to practice endurance involves investing time and energy in dating (listening) the ego to be able to dump (Liberate) the ego

-Office - uparama (collectedness) is the expression of a cool mind and a calm body merging - maturity is knowing all that are created have responsibilities to creation and to engage in these responsibilities without complaint

-Ashram - shraddha (faith) is exerting to shift the feeling of the Divine from an icon to oneself/others - working with people is the most difficult facet of living and being open to the intentions and ideas of others is a sign of humility, a sign of Oneness

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Please watch the following talks on how Ishavasya Upanishad expounds the secret to dismantling one's ego and navigating others' egos --- Being the Bigger Person (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMvnM8l6y8)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): My friend says to me: "What rhymes with orange?" I said, "No it doesn't."

We began our Divya Shakti movement in 2013. This movement has led us through Washington DC, Chicago, Raleigh, Washington DC and now our 5 year Anniversary leads us to Atlanta. Join Acharya Vilasini, Acharya Gita and myself for Finding Your Calling. Thoughtful women from all over will gather in Atlanta from Oct 6 - 8 to understand roles and responsibilities to invoke Devi in a most meaningful and transformative way. Please register and invite your family, friends, etc. for a sattvik roadtrip to a sattvik retreat --- Energize, Engage and Evolve as Devis! (http://www.chinmaya-atlanta.com/divya)

And next year's Divya Shakti Retreat will go international! Chinmaya Mission London (Canada) will host our 6th Devi Retreat from Oct 5 - 7 with the focus being Finding Your Self. Save these dates and stay tuned for more details.

Finally, our Chinmaya Mission London has found a home (Ashram Tour --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9LdmgnOfUY). Pujya Swami Swaroopananda has given our Ashram the name of Chinmaya Hanuman with our Master being Bhakta Hanuman!! Mukhya Swamiji will be coming to London next Summer to Inaugurate our Ashram with a Jnana Yajna!!!

Until then this dynamic Centre and workers are striving sincerely to raise enough funds to complete the sankalpa to own their own home. We are aspiring to raise $667,000 (total cost is $1,000,000) by August 1. Thus far we have reached $453,000. i am humbly asking all of you to reach into your hearts to support our efforts by contributing with a lot or even with a little --- Practicing Dana Yajna (https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/chinmaya-mission-niagara-canada/)

My gratitude for your generosity.

"Without external purity, internal purification will be a vague dream, an idle hope and a despairing vision." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 am

Namah Te dear All,

The only certainty is uncertainty. What a frightening truth!

That is, for those who make uncertainty the truth.

Shrimad Bhagavad Gita is a word painting of those who make Certainty the Truth. Let us study this art with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (June 26, 2017) --- Transcending Balance

-What is changing - if one reflects on this simple question, one understands names and forms are changing, empowering one to appreciate Existence and Awareness are Unchanging

-tulya priya apriya is being balanced with the pleasant and unpleasant, at the physical level - reflecting on what the body goes through, nay what the body is, one does not take happenings at the physical level seriously

-tulya stuti ninda is being balanced with praise and criticism, at the mental level - reflecting on the rabid nature of the mind, one knows one cannot keep up with the mind and so one just watches the mind

-tulya mana apamana is being balanced in honour and dishonour, at the intellectual level - reflecting on how the ego depends on becoming different from other egos, the ego judges and feels judged, logically nullifying any validity to such judgements

-tulya mitra ari is being balanced with friend and foe, at a comprehensive level - reflecting on how working with people is the most difficult facet of living and so the most complete sadhana, one feels the sense to forgive and be forgiven as conflict is inevitable

-What is balance - balance is a pursuit for those who live in separation, balance is not possible for those who live in Oneness

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Have you ever wanted to immerse yourself in Acharya Shankara's Bhaja Govindam? Have you ever wanted to know the Vedanta of Goswami Tulasidas's Ramayana? Our dedicated Vichara Gurukula Team has recorded and prepared the Courses on these scriptures for you! Please experience each Class fully and share the same with others --- Bhaja Govindam & Bala Kanda (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqNJVCtob00QpjFB9yILijQ)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW):
Father: "Shukadeva, do you think I am a bad father?"
Son: "My name is Vyasa."

Chinmaya International Foundation (CIF) Discussion Forum --- Gratitude to all of you for making the Viveka & Vichara columns one of the most popular posts, with over 200,000 reads!

Mukhya Swami Swaroopananda on Guru Purnima --- Continuing to celebrate this sacred moment (Salutation to our Gurus --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0cV-UDPRI&feature=youtu.be), if you look around, some leaders have created a Ashram, some organizations have organized a festival, our Pujya Gurudev through Chinmaya Mission has established a UNIVERSITY! Please read the below message on this most AWESOME effort!!!

Chinmaya Mission Pittsburgh hosting Pandit Jasraj --- As our work to establish a new Religious Centre / Retreat Centre in Pittsburgh continues, we are organizing a concert with the venerable Pandit Jasraj! This may be one of the last times Panditji travels to North America so do not miss this precious opportunity to listen to this noble maestro --- An Evening with Sangeet Martand (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-with-sangeet-martand-pandit-jasraj-tickets-34452606674?aff=eivtefrnd)

Finally, as our son Vyasa approaches being stuck in maya for a month (hahaha!), Sheela/i are whole heartedly moved by your whole hearted wishes and generosity arriving through so many channels for him.

"Success and failure - both are His. Ours is 'to do and die' till the end, where no more is any doing or death." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV

Chinmaya Mission Acharyas and Centres Worldwide

Dear All,

Hari Om! Greetings from Hong Kong!

On the blessed and auspicious occasion of Guru Poornima on 9th July 2017, I am most delighted to inform that the formal courses at Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth (also known as Chinmaya University under Section 3 UGC Act 1956) will commence at the headquarters of the University located at Adi Sankara Nilayam, the birth home of Adi Sankaracharya in Ernakulam Kerala and its off-campus at Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula for Performing Arts at Chinmaya Vibhooti, Kolwan, Pune.

Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth will carry forward the torch of wisdom from our ancient knowledge traditions to our future generations. The Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth team has worked very diligently to make this happen.

On this day, I request our Chinmaya family with reverence and devotion to pray for the success of Chinmaya University as part of the Paduka puja sankalpa (चिन्मय-विश्वविद्यापीठस्य सर्वतोमुख-अभिवृद्ध्यर्थम् - cinmaya-viśvavidyāpīṭhasya sarvatomukha-abhivṛddhyartham) as well as encourage and inspire our school children, devotees and members to do one japa mala (108 times) of ‘Om Shri Chinmaya Sadgurave Namah’ to create awareness and send good wishes to Chinmaya University to fulfill Pujya Gurudev’s great grand vision.

Photographs of this occasion can be sent to outreach@cvv.ac.in

For further information about Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth visit http://chinmayauniversity.ac.in/

I invoke the grace of the Lord and the entire Guru Parampara’s blessings on everyone to increase our devotion, seva and sadhana so as to establish ourselves in the knowledge of the Truth and fulfill our lives.

With Prem & OM!
At His Feet,

Swaroopananda
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 am

Namah Te dear All,

Just returned from a week in DC! A weekend with 75 young adults revelling in self development followed by the weekdays with 75 youth revelling in self development. Truly the divine life society.

During our annual Retreat and Camp i asked all the students to reflect on their earliest memory...then saddest...then happiest...and finally on the present. The purpose of this exercise is to be clear that all is always changing.

As i reflected on one of my earliest memories, i remembered my 1st concert - my father and uncles took me to experience Michael Jackson (yes the King of Pop!) when i was 3 years old!!! From that defining experience, over the past 3 decades i have enjoyed a 100 concerts. Initially for recreation, later for reflection. This year has been filled with memories of concerts encouraging mananam on contentment. Join me on this learning tour with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (July 10, 2017) --- Summer Concert Series

-The Lumineers in London - though The Lumineers are made up of 3 band members, the lead singer is also the lead guitarist and so i learned the power of independence - by practicing working hard, one's body would be fit, one's mind would be focussed and one would want/need little

-Pearl Jam in New York - the music industry is filled with pleasure, possession and most of all position which is why so few bands last yet Pearl Jam has been committed to the art for over 25 years and so i learned the power of loyalty - by practicing following dharma, one tunes in to one's responsibilities, unlocking the joy of living for oneself and others

-Live in Burlington - they came together beautifully, they broke up bitterly nevertheless Live has regrouped and so i learned the power of resilience - by practicing offering forgiveness, one understands and appreciates the nature of finitude encouraging one to never give up

-City and Colour in Niagara - having begun in Niagara, City and Colour is now of international stature still finding time to play locally and so i learned the power of gratitude - by practicing paying attention, one realizes every moment is a divine gift enabling one to never take any moment for granted

-The Tea Party in Buffalo - the virtue of 'dispassion' is thrown around casually yet if thought about carefully the virtue is a dispassion for getting, The Tea Party being a clear expression of real dispassion and so i learned the power of passion - by practicing daring generosity, one has no opportunity to be lost in living for getting

-Ziggy Marley in Lewiston - the late great Bob Marley changed music forever, his eldest son Ziggy Marley is tireless in keeping his father's legacy alive and so i learned the power of dedication - by practicing conscious selflessness, one invokes dynamism and if one can be completely selfless one invokes Infinitude...

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): We live in a restless world. A prime picture of this - the United States Government. Remember though, we create, facilitate and change the government. Instead of blaming let us introspect. Please read the following message about finding peace in our restless world -

"People in the peace movement can write very good protest letters, but they are not so skilled at writing love letters. We need to learn to write letters to the Congress and the President that they will want to read, and not just throw away. The way we speak, the kind of understanding, the kind of language we use should not turn people off. The President is a person like any one of us. Can the peace movement talk in loving speech, showing the way for peace? I think that will depend on whether the people in the peace movement can 'be peace'. Because without being peace, we cannot do anything for peace. If we cannot smile, we cannot help other people smile. If we are not peaceful, then we cannot contribute to the peace movement." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

And for those who want to engage in more than just introspection, please experience the following insights from Shrimad Bhagavad Gita on acceptance, balance and Joy --- Finding Calmness in Chaos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFk4Td48DQA8ZLwiPPCHN_A)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): Why do the French like to eat snails so much? They cannot stand fast food.

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): "If you really think the environment is less important than the economy try holding your breath while you count your money." The user's manual for life is our scriptures. If one is sensitive to this truth, we need to connect with our scriptures on how to save our environment. Join us from Aug 28-29 in Toronto for an International Conference on Global Climate Change and Eco System Management --- Insights from Ancient Wisdom Traditions (https://gallery.mailchimp.com/d6eae4be517d22af6ef6f31a5/images/3313e574-9554-47f5-9a5c-68b890104761.jpg)

"With eyes fixed on the goal, to strive on in the present, becoming the architect of the future is 'creative living'." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 am

Namah Te dear All,

Tulasidasji shares, binu satsanga viveka na hoi (without noble-company Reality is unknown). Recently i had the privilege of being in the company of Pujya Swami Swaroopananda as he revealed the brilliance of Gayatri Mantra. This collection of sounds/vibrations is known to be the core of the Veda (which is comprised of over 100,000 mantras!). Insights from this brilliant week is incited through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (July 24, 2017) --- Essence of the Essence

-samskarat dvija uchyate (culture makes one noble) - our culture is one of nitya snana (constant cleanliness), nitya sandhya (constant remembrance), nitya svadhyaya (constant introspection)

-Our culture is to not keep prosperity until we have given back to nature's forces, nature's beings, society, family, Guides - not recognizing one's gifts is equivalent to denying one's gifts

-If everyone is demanding rights who will be providing rights - by teaching individuals to be responsible, rights will naturally flow throughout society

-The rakshasas (selfish) only focus on developing physical strength while the devatas (selfless) focus on developing physical and mental strength - we all want the Changeless yet we ever work for the changing

-An ideal + name/form = an idol - our relationship with an idol should begin with observation, deepen to participation and end in immersion

-A discourse is self-reflection aloud - an E-Vichara is self-reflection written

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): If you are reading these words you are probably engaged in some sort of seva (service). Do you know why you serve? Please reflect on how Pujya Swami Chinmayananda invoked humility while evoking humility, especially when feeling doership/deservership.

A woman walks into a library and asks if they have any books on paranoia...

Librarian: "They're right behind you!"

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): 5 years ago i ran the Chicago 1/2 Marathon with a recorded time of 2h8m. 5 years later i am running the Cleveland 1/2 Marathon with an aspired time of 1h58m. Join us (a group of 9 from Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh) as we commit to running 13.1 miles/21 kilometres on Saturday, September 23 --- details (http://www.akronmarathon.org/race-series/akron-marathon-half-marathon-team-relay.aspx). If this is intimidating, no worries. Think about the farthest you have ever run...and from now until then train yourself to double that. On race day while our bodies run in Cleveland, your bodies will run in your cities and our minds will be united in pushing our limits. Happy running!

"When we maintain poise, problems and challenges vanish like mist before the rising sun." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 pm

Namah Te dear All,

From the middle of August to the middle of September almost all our Chinmaya Mission Centres in North America will recommence their Bala Vihar classes. 20,000 children learning all we need is Peace...awesome!
The success of these classes is the same children studying in our Junior Chinmaya Yuva Kendra classes.
The success of these classes is the same youth studying in our Chinmaya Yuva Kendra classes.
The success of these classes is the same young adults studying in our Chinmaya Setu Kari classes.
The success of these classes is the same transitioning adults living prosperously, living peacefully.

In May 2016 i invoked the sankalpa to rededicate myself to working with the young (see Youth Alone Can below). As we complete 2/3 of 2017 i am checking in:
January in Houston --- Face Everything And Rise Retreat for young adults
February in San Jose --- Lift Yourself By Yourself Retreat for young adults
March in Chicago --- Spiritual Parenting Retreat for transitioning adults
April in Portland --- Understanding Marriage Retreat for transitioning adults
May in Los Angeles --- Finding Calmness in Chaos Retreat for young adults
June in Pittsburgh --- Going Deep Retreat for young adults
July in Washington DC --- Finding the Fundamental Retreat for young adults / Greater Confidence Camp for youth
August in Boston --- Being Your Best Camp for youth

Pujya Swami Vivekananda loved the young! Hence his jayanti (January 12) is celebrated as National Youth Day in Bharat (India). With this feeling, summarizing what i have shared with the young this year, through the teachings of Pujya Swami Vivekananda, our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (August 7, 2017) --- BYOB (Being Your Own Best)

-"Neither seek nor avoid, take what comes." - always learn for every moment has been specially designed by our Creator for our comprehensive development

-"The brain and muscles must develop simultaneously. Iron nerves with an intelligent brain and the whole world is at your feet." - always exercise for the body is precious and a maintained body is a catalyst for a meaningful mind

-"By doing well the duty which is nearest to us, the duty which is in our hands, we make ourselves stronger." - always commit for the world is shaky and to be able to bestow balance one has to be balanced

-"Each work has to pass through these stages: ridicule, opposition and then acceptance. Those who think ahead of their time are sure to be misunderstood." - always remember for if our purpose is clear we clear our path

-"All condemnation of others really condemns ourselves. Adjust the microcosm which is in your power to do, and the macrocosm will adjust itself for you." - always lead for when one's mind follows one's intellect, others will begin to believe such inner leadership is possible for them too

-"The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for not return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful." - always smile for not smiling is confusing the relative for the Absolute

For the final 1/3 of 2017, what's up:
September --- we engaged in 2 events in July to cover September
October --- we will engage in 2 events in November to cover October
November in Ann Arbor / Trinidad --- Developing Devotion Retreat for young adults / Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra IX for young adults
December in Bharat --- Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X for young adults

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Hangout with a teenager on their turf (terms).

Patron: "I can't find any books on raising teenagers. I've looked in medical, lifestyle and self-help."

Librarian: "Try the horror section."

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): On Thursday, September 7 we commence our Atma Bodha Course (ABC). This insightful, practical, interactive Course is open for youth and older. We already have 30 Study Groups from all over North America who are going to engage in satsanga, sadhana and seva together. You should too --- Vichara Gurukula (https://medium.com/vicharagurukula/atma-bodha-8711acd9c711)

"Each desire that arises in us is a vain attempt of the false intellect to give the delusory ego the infinite sense of fulfillment it is seeking." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Namah Te from Phoenix!

i hope this message finds all my dear fellow seekers infinitely, incessantly and independently Joyous!

On Vighneshvara Chaturthi 2017 the 17th Vedanta Course at Sandeepany Sadhanalaya commenced under the guidance of Mukhya Swami Swaroopananda. This utsava made me realize on Vighneshvara Chaturthi 2007 the 13th Vedanta Course at Sandeepany Sadhanalaya was completed under the guidance of Guruji Swami Tejomayananda. i was a student in this Course. i left Sandeepany Sadhanalaya, physically, 10 years ago...

10 years ago the city of Niagara Falls, Canada was graced with Chinmaya Dhara. To celebrate this beautiful expression of longevity Pujya Swami Shantananda shared insights into love and life through a Shrimad Bhagavata Saptah. Insights from this lovely week flow through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (August 21, 2017) --- Bhagavata Dharma

-Shrimad Bhagavatam begins in Naimisharanya which is the abode of Animisha, the One who is never tamasik/lazy - Bha (Bhagavan) + ga (gamana) + ta (tarini) + va (visheshena) = Bhagavata (the special means to reach God)

-kali (selfishness) felt as kala (disharmony) lives in dyuta (gambling or deceit), kanchana (gold or enmity), pana (alcohol or pride), striya (sensuality or lust) and suna (violence or cruelty) - the one who never gives is said to have shava hasta (corpse hands)

-Creators becomes creatures when attached to their creations - we are ever engaged in self-harm by succumbing to shoka (regrets) of the past, bhaya (anxieties) of the future and moha (confusion) in the present

-In Kali Yuga (the age of distraction) all is fast, including Bhagavan's (God's) grace, remembering His name we will be Freed fast - no ritual can remove our papa (sin), only Bhagavan can

-Bhagavan wants an excuse to grace us - kenapi upayena manah krshne niveshayet (by any means the mind should live in Bhagavan Krshna) including krodha (anger) like Shishupal, bhaya (fear) like Kamsa, sambandha (affection) like Vrishnis, etc.

-Appreciating a Higher power one surrenders - the literal meaning of vimana is aerial car, the implied meaning of vimana is beyond ego (vigata + mana)

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Wear a tilak (sandalwood paste on your forehead) from morning to evening remembering alankara priya (one who appreciates ornaments) Vishnu.

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): A recent scientific study showed that out of 5,948,375,012 people, 92% are too lazy to actually read that number.

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): On Sunday, September 10 we recommence our Vedanta in Ramayana Course (VIR). This insightful, devotional, interactive Course is open to all Centres, especially those not having a Resident Acharya. We already have Study Groups from all over North America who are going to engage in satsanga, sadhana and seva together. You should too --- Vichara Gurukula (https://medium.com/vicharagurukula/vir/home)

"There is a Powerhouse within us and yet we live in a state of permanent power failure." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Namah Te dear All,

What makes a teacher of a subjective science strong? Training.

Between Chinmaya Mission Niagara (including our Centres in Kitchener and London) and Chinmaya Mission Pittsburgh (including our Centre in Cleveland) we have over 100 Bala Vihar Teachers. They are all seekers who are trained to teach. Teach who? Themselves.

Though named Bala (Kids) Vihar (Place), this movement is designed for those who teach, for those who administrate, for those who coordinate, etc. And what does such a design achieve? Balance.

Training themselves to be balanced. Sounds like Bhagavan Krshna guiding Prince Arjuna to be centred. For only the centred can be confident. For only the confident can be Content. Interesting? If yes, ground yourself in our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (September 4, 2017) --- The Message is Balance

-The fulfillment of contemplation is transcending sorrow, is transcending separation - deeply appreciating this is the greatest reward would also mean deeply appreciating the greatest qualifications needed to experience this reward

-With a vision to be a contemplator, one's lifestyle should be comprehensively and uncompromisingly directed towards cultivating purity - one will know their vision/lifestyle is aligned with contemplation by experiencing a deepening calmness of body, a deepening quietude of mind and a deepening stillness of intellect

-yukta ahara is being balanced with our diet, nay with all we input through the sense organs - to cultivate balance with our diet, commit to consuming single servings, thereby encouraging the understanding that food is functional

-yukta svapna-avabodha is being balanced with our sleep, nay with being awake too - to cultivate balance with our sleep, commit to chanting before sleeping, thereby encouraging the understanding that higher quality sleep will create higher quality wakefulness

-yukta vihara is being balanced with our play, nay with all downtime - to cultivate balance with our play, commit to watching clean shows, thereby encouraging the understanding that active sadhana should be supported by passive sadhana

-yukta cheshta is being balanced with our work, nay with all exertion - to cultivate balance with our work, commit to investing 1% of time to serving an Ashram, thereby encouraging the understanding that worldly responsibilities are relative

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): In the August 7 E-Vichara you read about Being Your Own Best (BYOB). Now experience the same audio/visually --- Inspiration from Swami Vivekananda! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5iCL9g4lw&t=19s)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): When I see lovers' names carved in a tree, I do not think this is sweet. I am surprised and scared to know how many people bring a knife on a date!

Workshop
A growing cause for concern across all strata of society is bullying. Why? Sociologists are trying to find a cure. Psychologists are trying to find a cure. Perhaps Vedantins should try too. Join us on Sat Oct 28 in Cleveland for a workshop on Beyond Bullying as we bring together a young Acharya, a child psychiatrist and a social worker to engage in a multidisciplinary exploration of being a bully and being bullied --- Beyond Bullying Workshop (http://www.chinmayamissioncleveland.org/)

Camp
In December 2011 i had the good fortune of guiding 20 young adults from North America to the Global Chinmaya Yuva Kendra (CHYK) Camp in Bharat. We all learned lots and laughed lots! This year celebrates the 10th Global CHYK Camp with the theme of Outthink Uncertainty, lead by Mukhya Swami Swaroopananda. Please check out the follow Trailer / Page. And then register and spread the word --- Outthink Uncertainty Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JQkOMfc3A) / Outthink Uncertainty Page (https://www.facebook.com/events/738568659636937/)

"Be entirely honest. There is a sweet sense of fulfillment in being honest." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

Namah Te from Atlanta!

Previously on E-Vichara - the message is to be balanced in diet, in sleeping/waking, in recreation and in exertion. Such preparation for contemplation will enable one for the process of contemplation...

Contemplation is most simple!
Yet contemplation is most difficult!!
Still contemplation is most worthwhile!!!

Let us contemplate with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (September 18, 2017) --- Contemplation to Meditation

-Relax - the ego identifies with the body causing us to forever interact - redirect this extrovert identification by keeping the body completely calm and mentally massage the body from the toes to the head

-Enjoy - the ego identifies with the breath causing us to forever input - redirect this extrovert identification by keeping the breath completely natural and mentally participate in every inhalation/exhalation

-Chant - the ego identifies with the mind causing us to forever interpret - redirect this extrovert identification by keeping the mind completely quiet and mentally repeat a Divine name

-Inquire - the ego identifies with the intellect causing us to forever instruct - redirect this extrovert identification by keeping the intellect completely still and just watch the thoughts enter and exit, like a parade

-Observe - the ego identifies, having no intrinsic function at all - just watch the ego as it fights to survive by reasserting the extrovert identification with the equipments

-Be - the Self is Illumination, the Self does not illuminate - just Be the ever present, ever potent, ever peaceful Existence-Awareness-Joy free of all movement, free of all change, free of all effort

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Carefully analyze and carefully identify the 7 persons in your life who encourage you the most, to live contemplatively. And then carefully express your love for their love.

A fool went to buy a pizza and after ordering...

The employee asked, "Would you like your pizza cut into six pieces or twelve?"

The fool responded, "Six please. I could never eat twelve!"

Course - 50 of our sevakas studied the Foundation Vedanta Course. 100 of our sevakas studied the Advanced Vedanta Course. 150 of our sevakas are studying the Bhagavad Gita Course. And now the Chinmaya International Foundation has released the Upanishad Course! Composed by our Rishis and commented on by Pujya Swami Tejomayananda, all who ever wanted to experience the profundity of Vedanta in a systematic way, can with this precious Course. Please register and spread the word to all seekers, to all philosophizers --- the Upanishad Course (https://www.chinfo.org/index.php/upanishad-course)

Support - A couple of weeks from now we will celebrate the completion of 8 years of E-Vichara-s! 8 years of reflecting together!! 8 years of realizing together!!! In Vedantik tradition teachings are given freely. No price can be tagged to the guidance an Acharya offers to seekers to live more purposefully, to kids to try their best, to leaders with material for their classes, offices, etc. Still, filled with gratitude and fulfillment a student seeks to give back.

On June 22, 2009 the 1st E-Vichara was sent to 90 seekers. On October 16, 2017 the 307th E-Vichara will be sent to 4,154 seekers (not including Groups, Forums, etc.). If the subscribers, readers, students of the E-Vichara invest one hour in understanding/appreciating these diverse insights on Life and living, they are engaged in a Course on self-development...

If you feel this Course is worth $0.10 per lesson, please donate $31.

If you feel this Course is worth $0.50 per lesson, please donate $151.

If you feel this Course is worth $1.00 per lesson, please donate $301.

Credit Card
CanadaHelps --- Chinmaya Mission Niagara (https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/chinmaya-mission-niagara-canada/)

Check (please make out and mail to the following address)
Chinmaya Mission
5743 Valley Way
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada, L2E 1X7

Funds make the world go round. How? In the coming year 'i' need funds to publish books on self empowerment, 'i' need funds to build classrooms for self development, 'i' need funds to create programs for youth transitioning to adults. Your generosity will enable 'me' to publish, to build, to create.

"Love is the very basis for Hinduism. If you know how to love, you are a great Hindu. All great people have become great because of their love for others. They gained greatness because they learnt to love." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Namah Te from Minneapolis!

Satya Narayana Katha...taunh taunh taunh (my efforts at communicating scary sounds in words hahaha!)!

A story about man's fear. A ritual about God's anger. Wrong and more wrong.

Satya Narayana Katha is a guide to develop faith and acceptance. How...

Let us begin the katha that is our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 2, 2017) --- The Satya of Satya Narayana Katha (SNK)

-Chapter 1 - The vision of SNK is expressed by the question the Rishis ask Sutaji, how do we transcend karma (worldliness) to rediscover Ananda (Godliness) - the mission of SNK is expressed by the answer Bhagavan offers Naradaji, gather family/friends and offer puja (becoming) to the Purna (Infinite) on purnima (the full moon), deterring us from being luna-tics

-Chapter 2 - When the brahmana (student) is engages in bhiksha (sincere for knowledge), the vrddha (God) guides the student to live by satya (nobility) enabling the brahmana to be content and finally Complete - the lakarhara (student) learns and follows the same disciplines from the brahmana (now a guide) enabling the lakarhara to be content and finally Complete, revealing that prayer and Peace is the right of all varnas (personality types)

-Chapter 3 - Raja Ulkamukha (us) has pleasure, possession, position yet for higher blessings (a child / selfless love), dedication to the Highest is needed - sadhu (student) learns the same disciplines from the raja (now a guide) but was too busy to follow the disciplines despite being reminded by his sahadharmacharini (encourager of responsibility) and being blessed with Kalavati (a child)

-Chapter 3 - Sadhu and his family have their pleasure, possession, position confiscated by Bhagavan (our well-wisher) - sadhu's child sees those dedicated to the Divine, sadhu's wife follows those dedicated to the Divine and graciously the Divine forgives sadhu for his forgetfulness with freedom and funds

-Chapter 4 - The tapasvi with trident (the egoless One) tests sadhu's sadhana (growth) and sadhu fails on account of being a krpana (miser) however sadhu's son-in-law is suhrd (generous) in asking the tapasvi for forgiveness - sadhu ultimately follows discipline and Kalavati (us) being attached to family forgets to, forcing Bhagavan to confiscate her funds/family until she corrects herself and then all are enabled to be content and finally Complete

-Chapter 5 - Being arrogant, Raja Thungadhvaja (us) refuses the prasada (Peace) of the gopas' discipline causing him to lose his pleasure, possession and position - being reflective, Raja Thungadhvaja (student) accepts his vice and prioritizes the same disciplines as the gopas (guide) enabling the raja to be content and finally Complete...

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Read the full Satya Narayana Katha using the above insights as a guide.

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The bus driver says, "That's the ugliest baby I've ever seen!" The woman goes to the rear of the bus and sits down fuming. She says to a man next to her, "The driver just insulted me!" The man says, "You go right up there and yell at him – go ahead, I'll hold your monkey for you."

Support - A couple of weeks from now we will celebrate the completion of 8 years of E-Vichara-s! 8 years of reflecting together!! 8 years of realizing together!!! In Vedantik tradition teachings are given freely. No price can be tagged to the guidance an Acharya offers to seekers to live more purposefully, to kids to try their best, to leaders with material for their classes, offices, etc. Still, filled with gratitude and fulfillment a student seeks to give back.

On June 22, 2009 the 1st E-Vichara was sent to 90 seekers. On October 16, 2017 the 307th E-Vichara will be sent to 4,154 seekers (not including Groups, Forums, etc.). If the subscribers, readers, students of the E-Vichara invest one hour in understanding/appreciating these diverse insights on Life and living, they are engaged in a Course on self-development...

If you feel this Course is worth $0.10 per lesson, please donate $31.

If you feel this Course is worth $0.50 per lesson, please donate $151.

If you feel this Course is worth $1.00 per lesson, please donate $301.

Credit Card
CanadaHelps --- Chinmaya Mission Niagara (https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/chinmaya-mission-niagara-canada/)

Chinmaya Mission
5743 Valley Way
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada, L2E 1X7

Funds make the world go round. How? In the coming year 'i' need funds to publish books on self empowerment, 'i' need funds to build classrooms for self development, 'i' need funds to create programs for youth transitioning to adults. Your generosity will enable 'me' to publish, to build, to create.

"Blast the fear complex with the dynamite of faith in nirbhayoham - I am fearless. That is my real nature." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Namah Te from Ann Arbor!

What did you say on May 24, 2013 at 09.18a? Why?
What will you think on Jul 16, 2018 at 04.16a? Why?

Our words are led by our thoughts. And our thoughts are led by...? The Divine.

Let us be led from our words to the Whole with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 16, 2017) --- The Flow of Speech

-We all hear we are experiencing Bhagavan's lila, well how does Bhagavan facilitate this, by directing our thoughts, just as a automatic software download directs hardware - understanding the source of our thoughts is Ishvara (the Total Mind), the careful will appreciate the quality and quantity of their thoughts

-Para - The Infinite is known as Para (Highest), the Infinite is of the nature of Sat-Chit (Existence-Awareness) - Existence is felt as 'I', Awareness is felt as 'Know' and this feeling never changes

-Pashyanti - The Infinite is the cause from which all thoughts (vani) emerge and the same Infinite enables us to 'see' (pashyati) these thoughts - what pashyati feels like, is knowing a change in the mind yet not knowing any more feeling, clarity, details

-Madhyama - as the thought gathers more feeling, clarity, details, we come to know the thought for ourselves yet cannot communicate the same to another - understanding this phase of speech development, the mindful will appreciate the direction the Creator is giving, will appreciate the nature of their personality, will appreciate that thoughts are the centre (madhyama) of their life

-Vaikhari - at a relative level our karmas (actions) are sourced from our eshanas (desires) and our eshanas are sourced from our avidya (incompleteness) - at a tactile level our karmas (actions) are an expression of our vaikhari (words) and our vaikhari is an expression of our vrittis (thoughts)

-More practical than being a political analyst, an economic analyst, even an environmental analyst is being a mental analyst - a mental analyst is one who directs their thoughts back to the Transcendental, becoming a conduit of Peace

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Learn how to be a mental analyst by experiencing a summary of the introductory teachings in Acharya Shankara's Atma Bodha (Self Knowledge), or as we Vichara Gurukula students describe the text, Ananda Bodha (Science of Happiness) --- Sutras on Selflessness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhBWfdTMvrE)

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Deja.

Deja who?

Knock knock...

Gift - Year 8 of the E-Vichara --- Library (http://chinmayaniagara.org/library.htm)

The greatest himsa (harm) is living selfishly. The greatest himsaka (harmer) is ourselves against ourselves.

Outer darkness is not as intimidating as inner darkness. Those who do not think, those who partially think, those who wrongly think, are those filled with fear (avichara krto bandah).

Vedanta is the Science of Light. This most illumining science guides, those who rightly think, are those filled with freedom (vicharena nivartate).

Dipavali is an annual reminder for us to think about thinking! Where have we come from? Where are we going?

Our relationship with Dipavali must grow - out of a reminder and in to a presence. Those who have opened their hearts to Rama (Happiness), they shine as the Awareness that transcends freedom and fear (na muktih na bandhah).

i pray to Bhagavan and the Guru-shishya-parampara to grace and guide us to emerge from using lights to Being Light.

Joyous Dipavali to All!

Inspire-Love-Be,

Acharya Vivek

Gratitude -
With this sharing we celebrate the completion of 8 years of E-Vichara-s! 8 years of reflecting together!! 8 years of realizing together!!! In Vedantik tradition teachings are given freely. No price can be tagged to the guidance an Acharya offers to seekers to live more purposefully, to kids to try their best, to leaders with material for their classes, offices, etc. Still, filled with gratitude and fulfillment a student seeks to give back.

My last appeal to all of you to contribute any amount towards helping me publish books on self empowerment, build classrooms for self development, create programs for evolving adults to be self inspired. Your generosity will enable 'me' to publish, to build, to create.

Credit Card

Chinmaya Mission
5743 Valley Way
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada, L2E 1X7

"True non-injury is only in our minds, which is not to think ill of anyone or anything." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Namah Te from Trinidad!

Are you using social media? Is social media using you? To know, reflect on these tests:
1. Check your mind by checking your computer's YouTube history. What % of the videos encouraged you to be introvert?
2. Check your mind by checking your tablet's download history. What % of the applications encourage you to read, write and reflect?
3. Check your mind by checking your phone's communication history. How many minutes elapse between waking up and checking messages?

i am sure these straight-forward tests disclosed how social media is forcing us to become more extrovert. And the devolution of becoming more extrovert is becoming more lazy.

Humans are communal. Humans are curious. History supports these facts. However, the production and pervasiveness of social media is unprecedented. The effect of social media on the mind needs to be studied. As insights on this effect are revealed, i predict the following guidelines will be shared...you heard it first with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 30, 2017) --- The Social Media (SM) Sutras

-Use SM in AM - the intellect is strongest between 03.00a-09.00a and so the propensity to use SM productively rather than indulgently is clearest as the sun rises

-Use SM in public - by using SM on a computer and not a tablet/phone we will be more visible to others, encouraging us to be more transparent with how we use SM

-Use SM as prepaid - any service we pay for by the minute we are careful with, thus we should constantly clock how long we use SM to remind us time is money

-Distract mind with reading - whenever our focus is fading instead of 'surfing the web / trolling / etc.' engage the mind by reading a simple and inspiring physical book

-Distract body with moving - if we are feeling restless due to immobility instead of 'binging on Netflix / creeping / etc.' move the body by engaging in simple and useful physical responsibilities

-Text to plan - SM is a most powerful tool, to be used for media (coordinating study groups) and not socializing (endless WhatsApp chatter)

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Test the above techniques by fasting from a entertainment (distraction) medium such as television, radio, Facebook, etc.

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): If you understand English, press 1. If you do not understand English, press 2. (recording on a Australian tax help line)

Our Devi Movement is growing and growing and growing! From Devi Satsangas to Devi Retreats to Devi Workshops! Join us on Dec 9 in Cleveland to experience our Devi Movement --- Finding Your Divinity Workshop (http://www.chinmayamissioncleveland.org/)

Our SILENCE Movement is growing and growing and growing! From 100 hours to 200 hours to 50 hours! Join us from Dec 14-16 in Pittsburgh to experience our SILENCE Movement --- SILENCE Retreat (https://www.facebook.com/CHYKWest/photos/a.144349348985480.38206.137583016328780/1599324736821260/?type=3&theater)

As we commence the 9th year of our E-Vichara, gratitude to all the grateful readers. Your support makes the difference between casual experimentation with self development and systematic practice of self development.

"The devotee, who has his mind and senses under control, is not enslaved by pleasure or pain, for him, his home is as good as a cavern in the Himalayas." ~ Swami Tapovanam

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Namah Te from Kansas City!

Teachers who project students to be 'bloomers' or 'dullards' often manifest those results in their students (The Rosenthal Effect). This is bullying.
Friends who spread rumours about people they know, about people they do not know, often hurt those people. This is bullying.
Yet 90% of bullying is not reported due to shaming of those who are bullied and rewarding of those who bully.

Recently i was involved in a beautiful, meaningful, thoughtful Workshop on Beyond Bullying. Sadly, every one of us has been bullied and/or knows one who is being bullied. Supportingly, i share some insights from our Workshop through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (November 13, 2017) --- Beyond Bullying

-People who bully - We have all forgotten our Infinite nature and some inflict their smallness by making others feel small, believing this will make them feel big - a systemic practice of bullying was perfected by colonizers who invaded countries and utilized the sense of us and 'them' (othering)

-People who bully - A reason people bully is the feeling of incompleteness, creating the feeling of extroversion, creating the feeling of attachment, creating the feeling of fear, creating the feeling of anger - a remedy for people who bully is to be compassionate about their sadness and to provide them with the right role models

-People who are bullied - To be human is to be gifted with choice and for some this is taken away - a systemic practice of bullying is perfected by converters who force their ideologies, who forge inhumanity

-People who are bullied - A reason people are bullied is the feeling that they are dissimilar (i.e. power differential, sexual orientation, etc.) - a remedy for people who are bullied is to be courageous about their dissimilarities and for them to be supported with the right friends

-A reason for virtual bullying is people's dependency on social media while a remedy for virtual bullying is using social media for fun - a reason for professional bullying is people's confusion about success while a remedy for professional bullying is focussing on contributing not collecting

-Whether one is bullying or is being bullied, isolation only exacerbates the problem - inclusivity creates an environment of possibility and equality, an environment where incompleteness and dissimilarities are deconstructed

Random thought...50 years ago Pujya Swami Chinmayananda 'retreated' to Uttarakashi to tend to resting, to writing, to envisioning. During this period, every 2 weeks he would write a letter to his Bala Vihar sevikas who would then share the same with his Bala Vihar students. These letters were an expression of his love for all, that even though he could not physically be with them, they were in his heart. Later, these letters came to be known as the I Love You Letters. i feel the same way about our E-Vichara...

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): What are reasons and remedies for familial bullying?

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): My boyfriend and I often laugh about how competitive we are. But I laugh more...

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): “Youth are not useless but they are used less. They are not careless but are cared less.” ~ Swami Chinmayananda. Please see, study and share the efforts to care for our youth in 2018! --- The Youth Tour / The Young Adult Tour / The Evolving Adult Tour (http://chinmayaniagara.org/specialevents.htm)

"Whoever gives is rich; the poor cannot give, because he has nothing to give. But one who has got, and yet, is not giving, due to his attachments to his hoards, is also a poor person, indeed." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 am

Namah Te dear All,

Tonight i depart for Bharat for The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X. As we live in our Ashrams in Haridvara, Uttarakashi, Sidhabari, etc., before our meals we will chant Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's Chapter 15. This is a tradition not just in Bharat, many of our Centres in North America practice the same.

Why?
Chapter 15 is the second shortest chapter.

Why??
By remembering God our food is transformed into naivedya (an offering) and prasada (a blessing).

Why???
Good question. Let us go deeper than technicalities to transformation with a simple, universal, rememberable meaning for each verse. Nourishment for the body is food, nourishment for the mind is our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (November 27, 2017) --- Gita in a Chapter - Part 1

-"I have made the Bhagavad Gita as the main source of my inspiration and guide for the purpose of scientific investigations and formation of my theories." ~ Albert Einstein - "In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita, in comparison with which our modern world and its literature seem puny and trivial." ~ Henry Thoreau

-Verse 1 - From Oneness separation appears, blinding us into believing Unity is not Absolute, diversity is - Scriptures guide thinkers past illusions to Infinity

-Verse 2 - Our sense of separation is comprehensive, strengthened by our own mind/senses - identifying with limited equipments we feel small, forcing us to act to feel Whole again

-Verse 3 - Separation is most betraying, impeding us from knowing how this feeling began, continues and ends - transcending incompleteness is difficult yet possible with intense independence

-Verse 4 - The Greatest gain is no longer seeking gain, naturally this gain should be our sole purpose - Awareness gives relevance to our experiences thus thinkers focus on Life rather than living

-Verse 5 - One who is free of arrogance, confusion, attachment, will depend on the Self not objects - one who is free from separation such as pleasure/pain is wise and gains the Greatest

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Memorize the simple, universal, rememberable meanings for each verse.

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): It took a lot of will power, but I finally gave up dieting!

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): With the completion of our present Yatra over 300 yatris from 60 cities have engaged in an outward expression of an inward journey to 4 countries over 6 years. Naturally we should have a reunion...calling all our past yatris and our future yatris to The Chinmaya Inspiration 10 Yatra Reunion! Join us from May 4-6 in Niagara as we reminisce, reconnect and rededicate ourselves to sadhana and seva. Stay tune for more details --- The Chinmaya Inspiration 10 Yatra Reunion --- (https://medium.com/vicharagurukula/2018-tours-1dd53b04cdc2)

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am

Namah Te from Delhi!

Tomorrow we begin The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X (https://medium.com/vicharagurukula/yatra/home)! As we live in our Ashrams in Haridvara, Uttarakashi, Sidhabari, etc., before our meals we will chant Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's Chapter 15. This is a tradition not just in Bharat, many of our Centres in North America practice the same.

Why?
Chapter 15 is the second shortest chapter.

Why??
By remembering God our food is transformed into naivedya (an offering) and prasada (a blessing).

Why???
Good question. Let us go deeper than technicalities to transformation with a simple, universal, rememberable meaning for each verse. Nourishment for the body is food, nourishment for the mind is our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (December 11, 2017) --- Gita in a Chapter - Part 2

-"The Bhagavad Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions." ~ Albert Schweitzer - "The marvel of the Bhagavad Gita is its truly beautiful revelation of life's wisdom which enables philosophy to blossom into religion" ~ Herman Hesse

-Verse 6 - Oneness is of the nature of Awareness, giving 'light' to the sun, moon, fire - rediscovering one's Infinitude one never feels incomplete

-Verse 7 - God expresses as the world and the ego - the mind/senses are created and so naturally are drawn by creation

-Verse 8 - The ego is ever holding/dropping bodies - when the ego moves from a body the body dies, yet the thoughts of the mind continue on in another body, as the wind carries fragrance between flowers

-Verse 9 - The ego energizes the mind which energizes the senses - the pursuit of pleasure is driven by the ego

-Verse 10 - Coming, enjoying, going are all appearances - the ignorant forget Reality, the wise remember Reality

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW): Memorize the simple, universal, rememberable meanings for each verse.

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Control freak.

Con...

Okay, now you say, "Control freak who?"

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): Last year we accessed the inaccessible Niti Shastra of Shri Chanakya (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fEyU61VvP8&list=PLjHWThc-6fia1KDvL7O0sIdn-SI1ZJKT4). This year we access the inaccessible Everlasting Love of Shri Kabir! Join us from Feb 16-19 in San Jose for our Annual Young Adult Retreat --- WWW - What Would the Wise do? (http://www.cmsj.org/2018-chyk-retreat/)

In the previous E-Vichara (November 27, 2017) --- Gita in a Chapter - Part 1, i missed including a quote from our Guru-shishya-parampara! Reconciling this inadvertence - "Religion is not to become a mere practice, but a faithful and constant atmosphere around our head and heart." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

"Turn Godward. In the joy of Life divine, your foolish demands of day-to-day life will drop off from you. With the minimum in life, yours will be the fullness of Life." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 am

Namah Te from Uttarakashi!

Being the yajamans of the mukhya Ganga puja in Haridvara…check.
Reflecting at the samadhi mandir of Pujya Swami Sivananda in Rishikesha…check.
Contemplating in the inner room of Pujya Swami Tapovanam in Uttarakashi…check.
Chanting Ganga Stotram at the Gauri ghat in Gangotri…check.
Celebrating the nava varsha at the Golden Temple in Amritsar…next.

The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X can only be described in 1 word…indescribable.

We continue extracting a simple, universal, rememberable meaning for each verse of Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's Chapter 15 with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (December 25, 2017) --- Gita in a Chapter - Part 3

-“The Bhagavad Gita is the most systematic statement of spiritual evolution of endowing value to mankind. It is one of the most clear and comprehensive summaries of perennial philosophy ever revealed; hence its enduring value is subject not only to India but to all of humanity.” ~ Aldous Huxley - “When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad Gita and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

-Verse 11 - The thoughtful are prepared to feel their Self - the thoughtless are unprepared to feel their Self

-Verse 12 - The light of the sun illumines the universe - this light and the moon’s and fire’s is God’s Light

-Verse 13 - God energizes the earth which energizes beings - God energizes the moon which energizes plants

-Verse 14 - God is the heat in the bodies of beings - this heat facilitates our physiological processes

-Verse 15 - God is the Self of all, facilitating the workings of the mind - God is the creator of knowledge, the purpose of knowledge and the master of knowledge

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): One night as I was putting my 
child to bed, 
I saw a bright full moon in the sky. I let her look at the moon for a minute and then asked, “Who made the moon?”

“God,” came her reply.

“And the stars?” I asked. Again the answer was, “God.”

I continued with a few more questions: Who made the trees, the flowers, etc. Finally I asked, “Who made Papa?”

She said, “Dadi.”

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): Our Pujya Swami Tejomayananda is tirelessly making the inaccessible accessible. Please read about and register for the multifarious opportunities to experience our Scriptures --- http://www.chinmayamission.com/events/

As we complete 2017 and commence 2018, i pray to Bhagavan and the Guru-shishya-parampara that every reader and non-reader of the E-Vichara rediscovers once and for all, simple living - high thinking.

Signing off for the year...

"Acquisition of new knowledge presupposes our capacity to give up our false notions. Imperfect knowledge get weeded out when a person is cultivating new knowledge. A capacity to forget is an essential pre-requisite in acquiring new knowledge." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Namah Te from Sandeepany Sadhanalaya!

Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's chapter 15 verses 1-5 focus on the purpose of living.
Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's chapter 15 verses 6-10 focus on the manifestation of the ego which blocks our purpose.
Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's chapter 15 verses 11-15 focus on feeling God through our experiences which blocks our ego.
Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's chapter 15 verses 16-20 focus on the nature of fulfilling our purpose.

We complete extracting a simple, universal, rememberable meaning for each verse of Shrimad Bhagavad Gita's Chapter 15 with our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (January 8, 2018) --- Gita in a Chapter - Part 4

-"The idea that man is like unto an inverted tree seems to have been current in by gone ages. The link with Vedik conceptions is provided by Plato in his Timaeus in which it states..."Behold we are not an earthly but a heavenly plant." ~ Carl Jung - "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad Gita all the goals of human existence become fulfilled. Bhagavad Gita is the manifest quintessence of all the teachings of the Vedik scriptures." ~ Acharya Shankara

-Verse 16 - The fabric of all our experiences is the lasting Creator and limited creation - the Creator facilitates the changing creation

-Verse 17 - Deeper than the Creator-creation is our Spirit - all our experiences are enlivened by this Existence-Awareness

-Verse 18 - Spirit is the foundation for the Creator-creation - the world and scriptures name this Existent-Aware presence as God

-Verse 19 - Those with vision know God as Existence-Awareness - those with vision only live for God

-Verse 20 - This most sacred science has been shared by God - the pure know this science by which they become Complete

A scientist tells a pharmacist, "Give me some prepared tablets of acetylsalicylic acid."

"Do you mean aspirin?" asks the pharmacist?

The scientist slaps his forehead. "That's it!" he says. "I can never remember the name."

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): Would you like to be connected to an even more comprehensive SAW? Check out the following link to join Chinmaya Mission's WhatsApp Group to always be in satsanga --- http://www.chinmayamission.com/

The Guru-shishya-parampara has given me Infinity. Grateful, on January 13, 2008 i dedicated my life to sharing the same. Since that beautiful day a decade ago, every coming day has been more beautiful than every passing day. Grateful to Bhagavan. Grateful for bhaktas. Grateful as bhakti.

"Scriptural study convinces us of the higher values of life, and when we live them, we grow from within." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 am

Namah Te from San Jose!

At the beginning of each E-Vichara i introduce the content with words. This E-Vichara i introduce the content with pictures --- The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X - VICARIOUSLY! (https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMfvCB_vUim2ACtbUYbRlkY0k1q-6j_2_Co9GzuJt_l3cBhekUvTBZbfiExBHDMWw?key=bWplRzQzVWpIcEpxVXdCVWlaWEJlWEdZTmFwc05R)

E-Vichara (January 22, 2018) --- The Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra X

-Haridvara is where we learned about shraddha (faith) by experiencing Daksha Mandira - the circumstances that led from trying to remember the details of Haridwar as guided by Swami Sharadananda during my Vedanta Course to being able to lead 35 North Americans to the same sacred grounds was beyond any of our efforts

-Hrshikesha is where we learned about krtajna (gratitude) by experiencing Sivananda Ashrama - contemplating in the Samadhi Mandir where Swami Sivananda rests in the lotus posture, reflecting in the Bhajan Mandir where the Maha Mantra has been chanted without break for over 75 years, were catalysts to knowing the depth of Sanatana Dharma

-Gangotari is where we learned about titiksha (endurance) by experiencing Mata Ganga - despite everyone telling us the roads will be closed, the police will stop you, the busses cannot travel there, we were able to revel in the darshan of where Mother Ganga reaches the people, completely by ourselves

-Uttarakashi is where we learned about mauna (silence) by experiencing Tapovana Ashram - a person most definitely impacts a place as the floors, the walls, the air all around us was infused with the quietude of Swami Tapovanam, forcing the same within us

-Amritsara is where we learned about ashcharya (wonderment) by experiencing Suvarana Mandira - despite everyone telling us the Golden Temple will be too busy, the distance is beyond comfort, this is not part of the plan, we were able to listen and prostrate to the Guru Granth Sahib on the full moon night of January 1

-Sidhabari is where we learned about bhakti (love) by experiencing Chinmayananda Ashrama - the discipline, the beauty, the grandeur of Chinmaya Mission is the best expression of the clarity, conviction, confidence of Swami Chinmayananda

Reflection Adventure of the Week (RAW)
: Another way to experience faith, gratitude, endurance, silence, wonderment and love is through the sakhis of Shir Kabir. Please experience the following discourses on Listening / Learning / Loving / Living --- What Would the Wise do? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwhtvLEHWc&list=PLjHWThc-6fibEvk0cbbbsSFMTJHXSZ1TO)

Laughing Adventure of the Week (LAW): What has 13 hearts and no other organs? A deck of playing cards.

Satsanga Adventure of the Week (SAW): Are you a young adult? No. Are you an old adult? No. Then you are a EVOLVING adult. Steadily and sincerely we are developing the Chinmaya Setu Kari (CSK) movement. Join us in this self-societal development by registering for and talking about:

Understanding Marriage --- Apr 20-22 in Cleveland - The Joy of Discovery (http://www.chinmayamissioncleveland.org/)

Holistic Living --- May 25-28 in Chicago - Meditation and Life (http://mychinmaya.org/csk/)

"Life is hollow. Life is full. Un-divine demands end in pain. Divine efforts culminate in joy. Worldly success accompanies all only up to the burning-ghat, Godly success is eternal." ~ Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be,

AV
AcharyaVivek

Previous

Return to Mananam with an acharya