Week 2 Queries

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

LESSON-2 DID NOT OPEN ON 12-02-2017(SUNDAY)

Postby DOCTOR » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Namaste!

With much more curiosity, I opened the Site - www.chinfo.org at about 10:30 PM itself with a view not to miss today's Lesson-2 of yours.

But alas! Even after waiting till 11:30 PM, I could not see your today's(of 12th February, 2017 - Sunday)!!

As such, I request you to please do the needful in the matter URGENTLY.

Further, after going to the Site - www.chinfo.org, as was advised by you, I clicked on 'Home' button BUT to my surprise, NO 'LOGIN' BUTTON APPEARED THERE. Also, I did not see 'My Account' also there.

My Enrollment Number is 81702S339.

I feel that something 'Technical' error may be there, because of which this all happened today.

Hope, yourself and other concerned Authorities would do the needful so as to avoid repetition of similar problem as above.

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/12/2017
11:55 PM.
DOCTOR

Lesson 2 missed

Postby Billji » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:31 am

Hari Om.
With regret, I missed entering on the relay time this morning in US, and cannot access Lesson 2.
Will you again post a link as you did for the first lesson, Acharyaji?
With Prem and Om, Billji Ferguson
Billji

Week 2 Queries

Postby VarunKhanna » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Please post all queries related to Week 2 under this topic heading. Thanks!

-Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Week 2 Queries

Postby VarunKhanna » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Dear All,

Hari Om! Namaste!

Some announcements.

• If you missed this week's lecture, you can find it here: https://youtu.be/n-khgZDbeH4

• We apologize for the technical difficulties we faced immediately following this week's Live webinar Session, because of which many of you who signed up for a Sunday relay session were not able to view it at your allocated time. However, the lecture is now available at the YouTube link above, and we encourage you all to view it there.
  • The notes, homework, etc. is all up on the Google Drive link at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B275bhG7zi2zd1NsSF9Ddl9TUkU

• Please open it, find Week 02, browse the notes, helpful materials, and do the homework. Answers will be posted next week.
  • Please post any questions or replies to questions here on the discussion board.

• If you like it so far, be sure to share this webinar series with as many people as you can; that's how a movement happens! Thank you for being part of the movement to learn Sanskrit!

• One more thing: In case you are worried about attendance, and your spot, or being dropped from the class or something, please do not worry. As long as you have signed up for the class, you will retain your spot, for whatever time slot it may be, and you will also be able to view the video on YouTube later at any time. The link to the video will be put up in the announcements tab on your Sanskrit webinar dashboard every week within 24 hours of the class.

With much love to all,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Lesson 2 missed

Postby Kgana » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 pm

I am not able to sign in either. If I have signed for Monday 10 pm (IST) class, what time will I be able to join the webinar in California? I thought I would be able to access the webinar at 8:30 am (PST) on Monday. I don't see the link for the webinar
Kgana

Re: Lesson 2 missed

Postby VarunKhanna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 am

Hari Om,

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience caused. My sincere apologies. We had some back end difficulties which prevented us from posting the link in time, and prevented people from viewing the webinar at their allotted time. Instead, please view it at this link here (I've also sent out an email to everyone with this link):

https://youtu.be/n-khgZDbeH4

If you check the "Week 2 Queries" topic, you'll see I've posted some announcements there as well.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

THE SANSKRIT WEBINAR IS LIKE THAT OF THE FLOWING GANGES!

Postby DOCTOR » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Namaste!

I was also one of those unfortunate students of your Sanskrit Webinar Course who had missed your Lesson-02 held on 12-02-2017(Sunday) due to ‘some unavoidable technical glitch’ as claimed by your Team!

However, I am thankful to your Team for sending the relevant Link of your Lesson-02!

Today, I have gone through your Lesson-02 very attentively. I opine that you are proceeding on the very right path. Especially I liked you way of giving a brief recapitulation of the Lesson-01 held on 05-02-2017 before proceeding with the content of the Lesson-02! You have very nicely and vividly covered all the Vowels and Consonants of the Sanskrit Language with relation to their respective Points of Articulation supported by necessary illustrations. The ‘Invocation’ before commencing the task and ‘Concluding Prayer’ before the close of the Lesson are highly inspiring! To conclude, I could say that your present Sanskrit Webinar is paving its way further and further similar to that the flowing River Ganges!!

Hereunder, I may please be permitted to put forth a couple of suggestions for your kind consideration:

SUGGESTION-01: ‘HOME-WORK’:

It would be appropriate if you could, under the ‘HOME-WORK’, throw an ‘EXERCISE’ with a few questions based on the particular Lesson to be answered by the students, followed by its ‘KEY’ next week, which facilitates them(the students) to be more attentive and regular at the follow-up of the Lessons.

SUGGESTION-02: ‘INVOCATION & CONCLUDING PRAYEAR’:

As a one-time task, could you please give ‘anvaya(word-order)’, ‘shabdaartha(Word-meaning with break up of words)’, and ‘Bhaavaartha(Overall meaning of the Verse)’ related to the Shlokaas being chanted under the ‘Invocation’ and ‘Concluding Prayer’ preceding and succeeding your Lesson respectively, so that the students could get immersed with the actual ‘bhaavanaa(Feeling)’ inherent in them?

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/14/2017
DOCTOR

DON’T MARK ‘NO’ IF THE ABSENCE IS DUE TO ANY TECHNICALITY!

Postby DOCTOR » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Though I was physically present before my Computer right from 10:30 PM till past Midnight on 12-02-2017 (Sunday), the Lesson-02 of your Sanskrit Webinar Course did not appear ‘streaming’, which was due to ‘some unexpected technical glitch’ as was claimed by your Team!

But I regret to observe that for no fault of mine, a remark to the effect ‘NO’ was made against my attendance for the Lesson-02 on that day, i.e., 12-02-2017(Sunday)!!

The same may be the case with several other students too who might have faced the similar situation on that day!!!

In the light of the above, I would like to make suggestion for your kind consideration to the effect that in the event of non-streaming of a Lesson due to some technicality, instead of marking his/her Attendance as ‘NO’, it would be appropriate to make a mention like ‘TECHNICALITY’ OR 'TECHNICAL PROBLEM', so that the concerned student’s feelings may not get ‘hurt’ in any manner!

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/14/2017
DOCTOR

'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-2'

Postby DOCTOR » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Dear Co-Participants of Sanskrit Webinar,

Namaste!

I hope that you had liked my earlier Paper titled - 'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-1' which was prepared on the basis of the Lesson-01 of 05-02-2017 (Sunday) by our Guruji Dr. Varun Khanna!

I have now prepared my Paper titled - 'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-2' on the basis of the Lesson-02 of 12-02-2017 (Sunday) by our Guruji, which is in continuation of my earlier Paper mentioned above.

Since Dr. Varun Khanna had already explained the places of pronunciation of various Consonants and the originating places of their sounds in the mouth supported by suitable Illustrative Pictures, the same has not been covered in my above Paper, so as to avoid unnecessary repetition.

If any of you are interested in going through my Paper in question in the PDF Format, you may send an e-mail request to my e-mail address – doctorynrao@yahoo.co.in,

With best wishes,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/14/2017
DOCTOR

Question of Dr. Y.N. RAO on Lesson-02 of 12-02-2017

Postby DOCTOR » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Namaste!

I have a small ‘Doubt’ about the following Sanskrit word used by you while presenting the Lesson-02 of your Sanskrit Webinar on 12-02-2017:

उपध्मानीयः – upadhmaaniiyah

Could you please a throw little light over it?

Further, could you list out the माहेश्वरसूत्राणि – maaheshwarasuutraaNi?

Sorry for the trouble!

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/14/2017
DOCTOR

Re: Question of Dr. Y.N. RAO on Lesson-02 of 12-02-2017

Postby VarunKhanna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Dear Dr. Rao ji,

Hari Om!

DOCTOR wrote:उपध्मानीयः – upadhmaaniiyah

Could you please a throw little light over it?

I covered this topic in the class immediately after introducing the topic, so if you want to hear the pronunciation of it you can refer back there. It is the sound of air leaving your lips that gets created as the visarga is followed by a "p" or "ph" sound. It sounds similar to "f" but is not quite a "f". For example, in pūrṇamadaḥ pūrṇamidam, we find the visarga followed by a p. Here, the sound that gets created is a "f" type sound just before the second p.

DOCTOR wrote:Further, could you list out the माहेश्वरसूत्राणि – maaheshwarasuutraaNi?

This we will do in detail in the next class. Let's leave it until then.

All the best!

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Question of Dr. Y.N. RAO on Lesson-02 of 12-02-2017

Postby DOCTOR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Namaste!

Thanks a lot for your Clarifications to my Questions!!

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/15/2017
DOCTOR

Postby sivam » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 am

Hari Om. This class is proving to be a great joy to me who started without knowing any devanagiri.
I have seen many u-tube versions but must say that your explanation of the pronunciation of the various groups of letters was so clear and the best i have heard to date.
Sanskrit has suddenly come alive to me and i even dream of the curly-woolly letters in my sleep...though i am still only now very slowly learning to recognise them. I am even realising the mistakes i have been making all my life in English. Thank you so much.
I am still too new to have any queries......but just waiting for Sunday again.
Jai Siya Ram.
Siva
sivam

Re: 'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-2'

Postby DOCTOR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Dear All,

In continuation of my today’s ‘Post, I upload here my Paper titled 'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-2' in the PDF Format, which was written on the basis of Lesson-02 of Sanskrit Webinar of our Guruji Dr. Varun Khanna.

I shall be happy if you could write back your Feedback about my Paper(s).

With best wishes,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/15/2017
DOCTOR

Postby DOCTOR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Dear All,

SORRY! The File could not be uploaded in view of the following ‘Remark’ which I got after pressing the ‘Submit’ button:

“The extension pdf is not allowed.”

As such, there is no other way for you than to send an e-mail request to my e-mail ID: doctorynrao@yahoo.co.in, if you would like to have my Paper(s).

With best wishes,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/15/2017
DOCTOR

Postby DOCTOR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Dear All,

GOOD NEWS! Just a while ago, I could successfully upload my Paper titled 'THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET - PART-2' in the PDF Format to the Google Drive, the relevant Path of which is as under:

Google Drive>My Drive>Class Materials>Uploads by Students.

My Thanks also go to our Guruji Dr. Varun Khanna for having guided me in this direction!

You may please download the same from the above location and go through it.

Further, I shall be happy if you could write back your Feedback about my Paper(s).

With best wishes,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/15/2017
DOCTOR

Re: Your suggestions

Postby VarunKhanna » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Dear Dr. Rao ji,

Hari Om!

Thanks for your valuable feedback! I am happy to know that you are enjoying the course. Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you this week because of the webinar not being able to be viewed on time. Unfortunately, some things are not in the team's hands, because we rely on certain third-party elements to make the relay sessions possible on YouTube. Those elements did not deliver this time. Please accept my sincere apologies. We'll make sure to do our best so that it doesn't happen again.

DOCTOR wrote:SUGGESTION-01: ‘HOME-WORK’:

It would be appropriate if you could, under the ‘HOME-WORK’, throw an ‘EXERCISE’ with a few questions based on the particular Lesson to be answered by the students, followed by its ‘KEY’ next week, which facilitates them(the students) to be more attentive and regular at the follow-up of the Lessons.

This is exactly what I have done. Please check the Google Drive folder at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B275bhG7zi2zd1NsSF9Ddl9TUkU to view the homework, notes, etc. Everything is there.

DOCTOR wrote:SUGGESTION-02: ‘INVOCATION & CONCLUDING PRAYEAR’:

As a one-time task, could you please give ‘anvaya(word-order)’, ‘shabdaartha(Word-meaning with break up of words)’, and ‘Bhaavaartha(Overall meaning of the Verse)’ related to the Shlokaas being chanted under the ‘Invocation’ and ‘Concluding Prayer’ preceding and succeeding your Lesson respectively, so that the students could get immersed with the actual ‘bhaavanaa(Feeling)’ inherent in them?

Yes, I will certainly go through this either in a class or as a separate uploaded note in the "notes" section. Sorry for not doing it already!

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: THE SANSKRIT WEBINAR IS LIKE THAT OF THE FLOWING GANGES!

Postby DOCTOR » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Dear Dr. Varun Khanna,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response!

" Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you this week because of the webinar not being able to be viewed on time. Unfortunately, some things are not in the team's hands, because we rely on certain third-party elements to make the relay sessions possible on YouTube. Those elements did not deliver this time. Please accept my sincere apologies. We'll make sure to do our best so that it doesn't happen again." --> You need not have to offer any apologies, since nothing is in our hands! But immediate alternate action would be much appreciated in the event of such situations.

"
DOCTOR wrote:
SUGGESTION-01: ‘HOME-WORK’:

This is exactly what I have done. Please check the Google Drive folder at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B275bhG7zi2zd1NsSF9Ddl9TUkU to view the homework, notes, etc. Everything is there." --> In fact, I am new to the Google Drive! That is after your training only, today I am able to go there and upload my Paper "THE SANSKRIT ALPHABET--PART-2' to 'Uploads by Students'! I will, now onwards, try to view everything there and act accordingly.

" DOCTOR wrote:
SUGGESTION-02: ‘INVOCATION & CONCLUDING PRAYEAR’:

Yes, I will certainly go through this either in a class or as a separate uploaded note in the "notes" section. Sorry for not doing it already!" --> Thanks for your positive outlook! I opine that it would be appropriate if you could upload the same in the 'Notes' Section, so that it would serve all the students as a permanent record to be preserved even beyond this Course too!

Regards,
--Dr. Y.N. RAO,
02/15/2017
DOCTOR

Postby VarunKhanna » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Dear Dr. Rao ji,

Hari Om!

I looked through this week's writeup. It has certainly gone beyond what I taught in the class. I see you focused only on the anusvāra. That's ok.

In para 2.4, you have said that these words begin with the anusvāra. But they don't begin with the anusvāra, they include the anusvāra. Fine. However, I would recommend that you do not give such examples, because they are aśuddha, or not proper words. It is Sanskrit tradition to only give examples of words that are actually proper, or useable, lest students should start using the incorrect words just because they read them in an example somewhere. There is no anusvāra in any of the words in 2.4 except for the ones where the anusvāra is followed by one of the ungrouped consonants.

You proceed in para 2.5 to say that these words "can be converted into their alternative forms..." but there are no alternative forms here. Most of these words have only one form, and that form does not include an anusvāra. For example, कङ्कणः is the only correct form of this word. It does not include an anusvāra at all. Thus, 2.6 does not make sense. Later on in 2.6 you say that "It is the tradition obtained in the Sanskrit language to use the words by duly replacing the 'Anusvaara' with the concerned 'Nasal Consonant' of the same group", but it is not just a tradition, it is a rule! There is no vikalpa, or option, about it. We will study this later.

I advise you not to attempt to show something beyond what we covered in class. This could mislead other students who may look at your paper. What you have described in this paper is sandhi, whereas all we are doing is the alphabet. Let's leave sandhi to when we get to sandhi. What I mentioned in class was only about pronunciation of the anusvāra, not about its sandhi.

The idea of doing a writeup afterwards for everyone to see is brilliant; I think you should keep doing it. But please try to stick to only what we covered in the class, so as not to confuse others who may look to your writeup for help.

See you in the next class,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby aardra11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Hari Aum and Pranams!

Question on upadhmaniyah: just to clarify, does it refer exclusively to the situation where a visarga is followed by the pa or pha sound? And if so, would an example of this be in Gayatri mantra, "nah prachodayat" where the visarga in nah would not need to be pronounced fully and it could be said faster / together as in the example given in the video, "kah pibati?"

I want to be able to say Gayatri in light of its correct pronunciation and I have heard many variations on the way "nah prachodayat" is pronounced. If this is relevant to the discussion on upadhmaniyah, I would greatly appreciate clarification.

Namo Namaha,
Aardra
aardra11

Next

Return to Sanskrit Webinar