Week 7 Queries

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Re: Week 7 Queries

Postby VarunKhanna » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 pm

branganathan wrote:You told us that the इत् can be added to an अनुनासिका. The example you showed us was the word पत्लृ and the last letter which is also a vowel has been turned into an अनुनासिका and because of this we can add the इत्. Under what circumstance are we allowed to turn a vowel into an अनुनासिका ? Is there a rule for this?
For the second example णीञ् there is not confusion as this already an अनुनासिका.

Dear Ranganathan ji,

Hari Om!

Ah. I see the problem. You seem to be confusing the words अनुनासिका, which is the technical name for a nasalized vowel (putting the चन्द्रबिन्दु on top of the vowel), and नासिका, which is a location in the mouth for creating nasal consonants (such as ञ्, म्, ङ्, ण्, and न्).

We did not turn the vowel लृ in पत्लृँ into an अनुनासिका, पाणिनि has himself given it to us in this form. And in णीञ्, there is no अनुनासिका because the vowel ई is not nasalized. The reason we can flag the ञ् as इत् is because it is an ending consonant (by the rule "halantyam"), not because it is a nasalized vowel. In the case of पत्लृँ, we flag the लृँ as इत् because it is a nasalized vowel (using the rule "उपदेशेऽजनुनासिक इत्").

I hope this clarifies the confusion.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby punita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Dear Varunji,

I have a question about splitting कृँ as in त्रौकृँ. I tried the anupurvi for त्रौकृँ as त् र् औ क् र् अँ (इत्) OR त् र् औ क् र् इँ (इत्)

but क् र् sounds like क्र and not कृ?

In the homework, there are quite a few examples with this matra of ृ under different हल् consonants - the same split would likely apply for all those I guess?

thanks, punita
punita

Postby VarunKhanna » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:48 pm

punita wrote:I have a question about splitting कृँ as in त्रौकृँ. I tried the anupurvi for त्रौकृँ as त् र् औ क् र् अँ (इत्) OR त् र् औ क् र् इँ (इत्)

but क् र् sounds like क्र and not कृ?

In the homework, there are quite a few examples with this matra of ृ under different हल् consonants - the same split would likely apply for all those I guess?

Dear Punita ji,

Hari Om!

Since ऋ is its own vowel (which appears as ृ when connected to consonants), it will show up in the आनुपूर्वी in this case as त् र् औ क् ऋँ. Since the ऋ is nasalized, (ँ), it gets the इत्-संज्ञा.

Hope this helps!

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby lalitha2804 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:44 pm

VarunKhanna wrote:
banibha wrote:While doing the Anupurbis and attaching the 'it' flag, I was wondering why we are doing these, and why can't we use the clean verbs in the first place. And from where we are getting these unclean verbs? I don't know the meaning of most of them. Please explain and I just can't wait to see how the clean verbs looks like.

Dear Bani ji,

Hari Om!

Good question. I will answer this in the coming session, but let me explain a little bit here. The reason why you don't see "unclean" verbal roots, or verbal roots burdened by extra letters in them, in your mother tongue or in English is because these languages don't rely upon roots to create their words in the same way that Sanskrit does.

Each letter that we will ultimately clean off from the verbal root tells us something we will need to know later. For example, you go to your friend's house in a car. Even though ultimately only you, not your car, needed to reach your friend's house, you still needed a car to get there! So if someone asks, hey, why did you need the car? After all, it is only you that needs to reach your friend's house, right? Well, you needed the car because it was what took you to your friend's house. You couldn't reach there by yourself.

Similarly, the verbal roots on their own don't have any direction, they don't know which pratyayas to attach to, they don't know how to attach, etc. The it-saṁjñā letters, or the letters with the it-flag on them will tell us where to go. They are like the car that will take the dhātu to its final destination -- a word that we can actually speak. You'll see as we go on how these it-saṁjñā letters help us. Not to worry.

The verbal roots themselves are found in Pāṇini's Dhātupāṭha. They are found in the "unclean" state, but every "extra" letter that Pāṇini gives us is useful for us to determine some other operation to perform later. It is actually amazing when you think of the big picture. How did he think of everything?? Anyway, we will continue to investigate together in the next class!

All the best,

Varun

Dr Varun Khanna

Superb explanation :) innovative way of equating the car and 'it' sanjnya. Each lecture gets more interesting than the previous one. You are an amazing Acharya.

Regards
Lalitha
lalitha2804

Postby Kgana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Hari Om,
Will you be posting answers for week 7 homework? I want to check if my answers are correct. Thanks.
Kgana

Postby VarunKhanna » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Kgana wrote:Hari Om,
Will you be posting answers for week 7 homework? I want to check if my answers are correct. Thanks.

Hari Om Kgana,

I have posted the answers for week 7 now!

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby ianr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: 'Unwashed root verbs' - I tried to find the meaning of the 50 listed words for homework that we have been working at applying the 'it' marker, but I find that most don't appear in the Sanskrit dictionary. I realise that the parts marked with 'it' are to be removed and managed to discover a few. Presumably, after applying the rest of the process in Lesson 8, all the words will show up - so I will try again with more information. Anyway, can anyone provide the meanings? I find it very difficult to work with words that are undefined:-)

Thanks

Ian
ianr

Week 7 Queries

Postby AxmedGom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:45 am

Oh thanks for sharing. I think Skavlans show is funny. I dont watch it every friday, but sometime I do. I think Al Gore was on last friday and the girl for LA Ink , Kat??.
AxmedGom

Previous

Return to Sanskrit Webinar