Week 11 Queries

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Week 11 Queries

Postby VarunKhanna » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Dear All,

Hari Om!

Please post all week 11 related queries in this thread. In case you missed this week's webinar, please watch it here:

https://youtu.be/-C8BwUTqcag

In case you missed last week's session, please find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHusXiDj99g

I named it 10.5 because of the power outage last week.

All the best!

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Week 11 Queries

Postby banibha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:11 am

Namaste Varunji,
I can see last week's video but no sound, Please check.

Please look at my question on lesson 10 quarries.
Thank you
banibha

Postby kmksde1974 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm

hari ohm, namo namaha Varun mohodaya,
today I viewed 3 videos of you 1) whef 2) hindhu dharm 3) similar to whef
your speecch is excellent. you told the importence of sanskrit and dharm.
regarding webnor lessons - In the annoucement coloum I received upto 14-3-2017.After that no information.And one more thing the links for class videos and home work are not highliting.if it highlights I can clik it directly and veiw them easily.please do the needfull.
kmksde1974

Postby branganathan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 am

What is the need to put a "chandra bindu" when we write lat (लट्).
branganathan

Postby ianr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi Varun

Loved your closing speculation/interpretations/metaphors, again, at the end of 10.5 - this approach helps a lot in terms of motivation and our wish to understand the Big Picture. This has been the most enjoyable part of the sessions by far. Congratulations!

A particular stumbling block in this lesson was how you took the verb stem and added an ending which added something else again to modify the stem further. I don't remember which sutra describes this transformation. (You went from nee to nighya-ti etc. - yes, it would have helped to have had the written form to refer to and refreshed our memories.)

That said, I looked at the notes and felt rather lost because I thought I had followed along in the lesson. How might you be more effective (in my humble opinion)?

You made a point about how the 'lightning' meaning of a Sanskrit term (especially the grammatical terms you use) is available to you and supported this with a number of English translations that often don't quite fit - as you point out. Firstly, it would help if you pronounced new terms SLOWLY - it takes time for new comers like me to assimilate the exact pronunciation and as things stand I have to go back and listen repeatedly to try to hear exactly. Ideally, I'd also like to know how the term comes together to create its meaning. True, at times, you do this, and it is 'music' to my ears for, in this way, I get it. But, at other times, you flash through a concept and I am left dazed, stunned and lost. I stumble on the longer expressions in particular. (Clearly, once the parts are discerned it becomes easy but that takes exposure and experience, that I don't yet have. But wish to, of course.)

Well, all said and done, I'd like to tell you what a pleasure it was to finally hear you creating Sanskrit sentences. The treasure at the end of the rainbow:-) So the thousand dollar question - what is the inherent property/vibration of 'ne/i' that conveys the notion of 'lead'? We'd expect the vibration to be represented somewhere, somehow. (the position of the tongue seems close in the two terms..)

Keep up the good work

Ian
ianr

Postby Lilamayi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 am

Hari Om!
Dear Varun ji,

Thank you for all the wonderful classes. I am really enjoying learning this with your wonderfully clear and thorough explanations and feel very blessed for this teaching. Every week I look forward to the class, and I hope that in Part 2 you'll consider having the classes twice a week.

A few questions--
1. It seems like at this point the easiest way to proceed without getting lost in the process would be to memorize all the sutras we've learned so far so they are easily at hand. Should we assume that any time you teach us a sutra we should go ahead and memorize it?

2. I am in the process of memorizing the verb terminations for the 4 lakaras you gave us, but because I had previously memorized some of them with the final endings (i.e.--aami, aavah:, aamah: or ate, ete, ante) instead of the way they are appearing in the document you gave us ("i" that turns to "e" or short a becoming long A etc.), I am having a hard time fixing the endings in my mind this way. How important is it to memorize them in the form you gave us? Will I be confused if I stick to the memorization of the final endings when we start to learn how and why they change from this current form to their final form?

3. I am not finding the week 11 homework in the Google Drive under week 11 or week 10.5. Is there another place I should look for it or was it not posted yet?

Thank you so much again for this excellent course and for making this knowledge so accessible.
Om & Prem,
Lilamayi
Lilamayi

Postby Vasishta » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:11 am

Help, there is a spammer on site, lyuscherbak19 has been posting inappropriate content and marketing. Please block!
Vasishta

Postby mpprabhu » Mon May 01, 2017 4:28 am

नमस्कार वरुणजी -
While applying इत् संज्ञा on लँट् -> ल् + अँ + ट् , why ल् did not get the इत् संज्ञा from the sutra लशक्वतद्विते ?

Regards
Praful
mpprabhu

Week 11 Queries

Postby DYECYMNKEK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I am going this week on a doe and spike hunt. we are the second of two groups. hopefully there will be a few left. One doe or spike would make it worth the trip for me. Were many exotics seen?

By the way, don’t spend time looking for cheap VIN reports when you can get them at http://vehhistory.com completely free
DYECYMNKEK

Week 11 Queries

Postby gymnembetry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 am

Who wants to hunt Matador this week? Taking the young pups out for birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gymnembetry

Return to Sanskrit Webinar