Techniques to quieten/direct/conquer/transcend the mind.

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Techniques to quieten/direct/conquer/transcend the mind.

Postby Padmaja » Mon May 23, 2011 11:04 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks for sharing such nice insights and practical techniques that will be helpful to all. Here is what I have discovered in my experimentation on myself.

Our hasty efforts to change our tendencies are like forcing the bud open by pulling its petals and expecting it to blossom like a flower. Everything in nature happens silently and slowly. We can't see exactly when a baby grows each day but it does grow. So we need to be patient while putting forth our efforts and we need to have sound faith that we are going to change for sure. Pujya Gurudev has said "Hasten slowly". Also, it is not the change that is our goal. It is the continuous effort towards divine virtues that purifies our mind. No effort is wasted this we have to keep in mind.

Secondly, we also need to examine our 'expectations' from us. While trying to be divine and Godly, we have to understand that "we are not God". So instead of "feeling helpless", we have to understand that "we are helpless". This makes us humble in our behaviour and humble in our expectations from ourself as well as from others. We become more understanding towards ourself and more forgiving and compassionate towards others. The corollary to accepting "I am helpless" is understanding "God is immensely powerful". This is very empowering because if I am surrendered to Him then "I have His immense power behind me". That takes the burden, worry off of our chest and our "focus on result" goes away. Result is no more our problem.

Thirdly you mentioned about not being able to focus. I too have that problem. What I do is when I can't focus on one thing I pick many similar things. e.g. say on certain day if I am not able to focus on listening to discourse then I can do japa or puja or serve somebody or read some saint story or post message in this forum. I am doing different things but they are of same color so focus is still on God. This way we can remain focused without focusing.

Lastly, what you say is very true. Mind needs to be subdued otherwise it takes us for a ride. Strong motivation to change enables us to do that e.g. what changes I want to see in myself is a great motivator. However if that motivation is weak then we can approach it from the other end, by asking 'why do I want to change'. There is something that made us understand limitations of this world and turned us to spirituality. Bringing to mind those sorrows, finiteness makes us grow in dispassion and that is a strong motivation which can enable us to subdue our mind.
Padmaja

Postby uma » Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Lovely thread for discussion. Thank you Chaitanyaji ! And Padmaja, very happy to read your enlightening post :)

I, too am a novice, but still would like to share something..

1. Meditating daily - may not be successful always, but every day, at the same place and time, keeping up the effort, definitely shows improvement

2. I feel, instead of forcing, gentle pressure or even sometimes dangling a carrot of reward before our own mind, does work

3. Thinking about some pleasant incident which occurred in the past, does help to bar stray, unwanted thoughts.

4. Using visualisation technique helps to stay the mind focussed towards the goal.

5. Engaging (physically but with fully alert mind ) in some acitivity which one loves the most. e g Painting, Singing, Gardening, Sewing etc

6. And of course, surrendering to Him and praying for help

Regards

uma
uma

Postby uma » Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Hari Om. Pranam.

Chaitanyaji,

Visualization, as the title indicates, involves visualizing a picture in front of the closed eyes. The picture has to be vivid and clear. Generally, it is used to visualize whatever is your ardent wish. The end result is usually visualized. e g patients are asked to visualize themselves as completely recovered. The same picture is to be visualized each time till the desired result is achieved.

One can visualize that one is meditating really well, very serenely. Peaceful, happy own face can be visualized.

Regards

uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 am

Hari Om. Pranams Chaitanya ji and Uma..

I think the points below from Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayananda ji's article on "Live Your Values" will be very helpful to all of us.

- If we really want to do anything with our life, we have to take charge and become responsible.

- When we live life superficially and try to solve problems superficially, without taking into account the entire foundation(one's vision) and values, no lasting change is possible

- Knowledge does change us, provided we make it our own. Until then we will only behave according to our nature.

- The points to remember: I have to live my life and face the consequences of my actions. My life will be what I make of it. I cannot live another person’s knowledge. To make it my knowledge, I must live it. Live a simple life in accordance with your knowledge. True happiness will be the result!
Padmaja

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality