Quotes : thought of the day

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Quotes : thought of the day

Postby murugans61 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Hari OM

Thank you Kamalji for posting Gurudev's quote on Chapter 3 and sharing your wonderful experience with Gurudev. Look forward to your participation in the forum as and when you can. By the way, I visited the Chinmaya center in HK in Jan this year and could witness a wonderful family day conducted by the center.
pranams
murugan
murugans61

Postby kamdaswani » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:02 am

“To define Brahman is to deny Brahman”.

Swami Shivananda
kamdaswani

Postby murugans61 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:39 am

Hari OM

Thank you for this profound quote on Brahman.

As mentioned in Kena Upanishad, Brahman , Atman is not an object. It is the knowing subject.

That which cannot be revealed by speech
but by which speech is revealed ....
That which cannot be understood by the mind
but by which the mind understands.....
That which can not be seen by the eyes
but by which the eyes see....
That which cannot be heard by the ears
but by which the ears hear....

It is known to one who considers it unknown
but unknown to one who considers it known.

pranams
murugans61

Postby kamdaswani » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:56 am

you do not belong to yourself; yourself belongs to the
totality. This totality has, as its very substratum, infinite diversity which is the self of all;
just as the night sky is studded with millions of stars.

Thus, self- knowledge is a re-attainment of something which the personality has lost. When the personality is keenly analysed, it becomes transparent, revealing its own substratum –
that cosmic consciousness which is the goal, the supreme fulfilment or self-knowledge.

Swami Venkatesananda
( commentary on Geeta Chapter 8, verse 3 )
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:45 am

Today marks the day of when the student pay homage, although the teacher neither asks for nor needs any such validation - it is simply the student's way to express his love and gratitude for what else can a student offer to One who is established in the All.

books may contain words which describe the goal but the Master is an expression of that goal ... like a power socket that we can plug into and instantly feel that surge of exquisite bliss. He provides, by his sheer presence, the inspiration to move forward in our quest and within the aura of His Silence can one dissolve into the expanse of Godhood.

My prostrations to He who shared Himself with this foolish child.
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:08 am

wanted to attach this in the previous post but i have no idea how to edit a post :)

anyway, this was taken when Gurudev was staying at our place about 32 years ago ...
Attachments
Guru.jpg
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 am

each moment dies as instant after it is born; death is co-existant with life. when one realises this, life and discipline become effortless.

once death is brought into life, there is no attachment and no craving.

commentary on the Gita ( Swami Venkatesananda )
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:36 am

Thus, he who has a capacity to introspect, can easily detect perfect action in complete inaction.

Commentary on the Gita
Swami Chinmayananda
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 am

Under the section " Story of Bali" in the Yoga Vasistha

"hence, as long as there is a mind, there is neither god nor a natural order; when the mind has ceased to be, let there be whatever is!"
kamdaswani

Postby murugans61 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:58 am

Hari OM Shri Kamal

Thank you for the quote on the mind. Would like to add my learning on mind.( Ref Adi Sankara's Viveka Chudamani)

1)Mind and Self are intimate
2) Mind is always inert. Affected by kama, krodha, raga, dvesha etc and continues to be a samsari. Self is always pure and free.
3) Even though the mind is insentient, it appears to be sentient. Similarly the samsara or imperfection of mind is seemingly transferred to Self.
4) Mind and consciousness joined together is experienced as unitary entity. Samsari Aham, (Miserable I) is the unitary experience. The miserability belongs to the mind and I am non miserable, pure Ananda.

Given the above facts, what we have to do.
Never claim mind as I am.
I am the user of my imperfect mind. I will keep it reasonably perfect ( nirmama, nirahankara) for transactional purpose.
Mind is my tool and I am the master. I am Nityah, Muktah, Ananda.

pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Hari OM Shri Daswaniji

V 188 of Vivekachudamani explains this relationship.

Because of their proximity, the attribute of one appears on the nature of the other as though it is the attribute of the other. There is an apparent transfer of attributes.
Because of the intimacy and apparent transfer, both of them are experienced as though they are one. Unitary experience of a single entity takes place. A close example to this relationship is Moon ( inert object) and Sunlight, resulting in an experience of Moon light.

pranams

murugan
murugans61

Postby kamdaswani » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:22 am

Sin is only ignorance and it is destroyed by enquiry; hence one should never abandon enquiry...
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 am

all disciplines such as sacrifice, charity, austerity, observance of vows, japa, yoga and puja, are, in effect, modes of meditation of the form " I am Brahman." So, in all modes of disciplines, one should see to it that one does not stray away from the thought "I am Brahman"

Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 am

Enjoyment of the universe and all it contains is the object of "world-existence"
but renunciation of all in desire is the condition of the free enjoyment of all.

the renunciation demanded is not a moral constraint of self denial or a physical rejection,
but an entire liberation of the spirit from any craving after the form of things...

Isha Unpanishad commentary by Sri Aurobindo.
kamdaswani

Postby kamdaswani » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:43 am

Enjoyment of the universe and all it contains is the object of "world-existence"
but renunciation of all in desire is the condition of the free enjoyment of all.

the renunciation demanded is not a moral constraint of self denial or a physical rejection,
but an entire liberation of the spirit from any craving after the form of things...

Isha Unpanishad commentary by Sri Aurobindo.
kamdaswani

Next

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality