explaining creation to kids

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: explaining creation to kids

Postby Padmaja » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:49 am

Dear Karma Yogi-ji
Hari OM. Pranams.

Seems like a genuine question. First you logically convince the child about the existence of creator. For this you can ask the child where he came from and he will tell you it is from his mother. You ask where his mother came from and child will say grandmother. He probably doesn't know where grand mother came from so you ask him if he thinks grandmother must have mother too and he will agree with you. You ask where table and chair came from and he will say it is from tree. You ask where tree came from and he will say it is from a seed. Where that seed came from and it is from some other tree. Where do all trees come from? They come from earth. Earth came from Sun. Sun came from solar system. Solar system came from milky way. Milky way came from universe. Universe came from? Nobody exactly knows but it must have a creator just like grand mother must have mother. That creator is called God.

Then you ask what does Balavihar kids call you? They call you "Teacher". What does your child calls you? "Father". What does you child's mother calls you? "Husband". What does your mother call you? "Child". As a creator of your child you get called Father. For taking up role of teaching kids you get called "Teacher". For being born from somebody you get called "Child". For working in some company you get called "Employee". As a child you looked different because you were very small. As a Father you look very different because you are a grown adult. As grandfather you will look old and frail. In office you look and behave different than home. In spite of all these different roles, names and changing forms, behaviors you are still the same entity. Like that Lord the creator is One. With respect to role of creating the universe he is called "Brahma". With respect to role of maintaining order in universe he is called "Vishnu". With respect to role of destroyer he is called "Shiva". He is personified with different qualities for each specific role but the principal is One and that is where all our prayers go, no matter if one prays to Brahma or Vishnu or Shiva. Most importantly tell that God is compassionate and listens to prayers. Tell children stories of Prahlad and Dhruv. Ask them to call God in time of need and let them experience for themselves that prayers are answered.

Love and Regards,
Padmaja
Padmaja

Postby yogkarma » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Hari Om Padmaja ji,
I thank you for your explanation, the cause and effect model is quite a logical way of getting kids to understand this concept.

karma yogi
yogkarma

Postby Padmaja » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Just want to share with you a real life story that one Balavihar teacher shared with us in study group. She said one boy in 2nd grade suddenly asked her "You say God is there then why can't I see him?" She was kind of stumped by that question and was trying to think of an answer. Suddenly another boy raised hand and said "Teacher I know the answer, can I tell?" She said "Go ahead". Here is the conversation that took place between them.

Boy 1 (original question): You say God is there then why can't I see him?
Boy 2: You can't see him because he is hiding.
Boy 1: Why is he hiding?
Boy 2: Just for Play !
Boy1: If he is hiding then how can I find him?
Boy 2: He is playing 'hide and seek', silly ! You have to 'seek him' to find him.
Boy 1: Where exactly is he hiding?
Boy 2: Everywhere. In that plant, in me, in you.
Boy 1: Then where can I seek him?
Boy 2: Seek in yourself silly, that is closest to you. Why would you want to seek somewhere else when you can find him in yourself.
Boy 1: OK, got it.
Padmaja

Postby ssvas1966 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 am

First of all, please accept the fact that you are a "PERSON" who can easily perceive another "PERSON" and hence personification of god is not at all BAD. All the Vedic literature has tried to personify GOD so that we can relate to GOD very quickly and understand the concept. If one can perceive the abstract things without the help of things, it is very good. However, till such time, there is nothing wrong in taking help of such tools. The children have great imaginative skills and ability to perceive things, if we are capable of raising to their level. You have a tremendous responsibility as a TEACHER and great job moulding young minds. It is said that when we teach children (or try to teach children) we learn more than they. It is a wonderful process of learning for every adult, since we might have missed the glory of childhod.
Please ask kids, another interesting puzzle like question "Which one came first ? is it a seed or tree (Vriksha Beeja Nyaya) ? If they say, seed first, then ask from where the seed came. If they say tree, from where the seed came. Which came out first ??? Even I do not know. Pl let us know their response !!!
ssvas1966

Postby yogkarma » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:34 am

Hari Om!!

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure if you all are aware of the controversy related to this particular teaching in the US. "God created this Universe" is the "Intelligent design" theory that has been proposed by Christian groups in the US and has been met with severe resistance and criticism from school boards, parents and the legal system. I feel that I am teaching 'intelligent design' by teaching that a supremely intelligent being indeed created this Universe.

My feeling is that I hesitate to teach anything to the children in this topic that goes against what they are taught in their science classes at school.

Karma Yogi
USA
yogkarma

Postby Padmaja » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

If a person views seed as "inert" then he thinks "life" came from "inert thing" by accident so there is no God (sentient Creator). If one views seed as just "life" then the question of "what came first" becomes irrelevat because seed and tree are just two manifestations of same "life", nothing is really created so there is no creator, universe itself is mithya.

If one views seed as "a form of life inside a specific inert assembly" then there is God. It is a view that makes one see - "a seed" different than "a tree", "one seed" different than the "other seed", a "branch of a tree" different than "a leaf of a tree".

One seed has a potential to create just one tree, that too of a one particular kind. God is that seed which has infinite potentiality of creating millions of universes, millions of life forms, millions of dimensions, millions of intellects, millions of beings. He is not a supremely intelligent individuality. He is the seed of totality of the nature of supreme consciousness.

Even if we go by big bang theory which says "Universe has expanded from a primordial hot and dense initial condition at some finite time in the past" many questions still remain. Where did big bang happen? who created the primordial hot and dense matter? what existed before the time when big bang happened? Who saw it happen? Why did the expansion took place in a certain way and not any other way? Why didn't the dissolution happen instead? Everything we see has order and harmony. There is no chaos in this universe. What is holding planets in space ? Why are they not colliding with each other ? What makes them revolve with such precision? What makes plants shed leaves and sprout new leaves every season? How does a tree sprout only certain kind of leaves of certain color, with certain kind of shape and certain kind of veins drawn on them ? There is so much precision and so much intelligence filled in everything. Tell children, We call that as "God". If there was no order there would be no relativity and no Einstien. There would be no gravity and there would be no Newton. Science studies "laws of the universe". If there was chaos and no order in this universe there would be no scientists. Science uses methodologies to prove because they produce "consistent results" and not "chaos". Tell them if they still belived that the order is the result of some accidental bumping of inert matter then they are free to not belive in God.
Padmaja

Postby dayanand » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:22 am

Hari Om!
Padmaja jee

Your explanation is very enlightening. Keep posting more such though provoking to help people like me.

Dhanyavaad
dayanand.
dayanand

Postby uma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Hari Om Padmajaji

Your answers are really nice and logical. The story too is simple and convincing. Regards

Uma
uma

Postby KripaIyer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm

The most logical and reasonable way of retorting to the atheists to ascertain our belief in the existence of God. Plus how to convince the current generation kids about God was also good. Keep posting such enlightening messages.
Thankyou
KripaIyer

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality