Role of Sadguru's Grace on spiritual path

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Role of Sadguru's Grace on spiritual path

Postby ramkumar1049 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Hari Om !

Guru's Grace is important in the spiritual path, but it can not replace self effort. Guru's grace is like a booster, ie if you put in 100% of your self effort & still you are stuck in the path, Guru's grace will push you up, but Guru's grace alone will not help since Guru'sG race will not be there without one's self effort. Guru Krupa & Atma Krupa should go hand in hand.

There may be a few cases like Bagwan Ramana Maharishi, which is an exception & exceptions can not be general rule.

If one is stuck in the path even after following the scritural procedures of acquring Brahma Gnanam by Sravana, Manana & Nididyasanam, there is no other way but to repeat the procedure ( under a competent Guru for a considerable length of time on Atma Vidya) until one gets the Knowledge.

One should also be clear in vision that the goal in life is not an event or available after dropping the body, goal is available now & here after internalising the knowledge.

Dependent variables are Prarbdha & Self effort.
ramkumar1049

Postby Padmaja » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Shri Ramkumarji's reply is really nice.

Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji once said "Grace is there like sunlight. It is everywhere all the time. One who has tuned his mind to it gains it like a sun-roof". I think, grace is really not about 'gaining', it is about 'recognizing'. Recognizing that it is there. Recognizing more and more that what I thought earlier as "my self-effort" is really grace. I think it is about growing in this understanding.

However, if we don't have that recognition we should not just give up. We should put in even more self-efforts because grace is like "getting discount". We can't expect to get discount if we don't pay. Just like more we pay, more we get discount like that more we put in self-effort more we gain grace. God helps those who help themselves.

I think grace depends upon faith, gratitude, humility, goodness and love for all beings. To grow in recognition of grace we should learn to appreciate every little thing in our life and in this creation and feel grateful for it. Recognition of grace brings relief from all our worries, sorrows, fears and it brings immense joy because we not only realize how "Everything is OK !" but we also get a new vision to see how "Everything is so beautiful !"
Padmaja

Postby narayanan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Hari Om,

Someone once said, "If Guru and God both appear before me at the same time, I will prostrate before the Guru first. Because without a Guru, I will not recognise that God is standing in front of me."

Like wise, we all might be having different experiences in life. But in order to have the right understanding and perspective of that experience we need a Guru.

Regards,
Narayanan
narayanan

Postby ramkumar1049 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 am

Hari Om ! Pranams !

Guru who teaches Brahma Gnanam is only known as Guru, all others who teach other than Brahma Gnanam are known as Upa Guru. Guru is teaching what he has learnt from his Guru, not his own knowledge as Vedanta is not man made, it is an offering to mankind by God for salvation. So the Brahma Gnanam has come thro' Guru Paramapra from Adi Guru which is God.

We rever our Guru & offer our prostrations to Guru for their wisdom of Brahma Gnanam & not for their physical body, this leads us to the vision of God in Guru. But this should not be mistaken that we need not rever & offer prostrations to Guru, as these two qualities are a must for an aspiring Gnani in the path self knowledge. The prostration indicates the expression of internal humility of an individual.

Dust of Gurudev's feet.

G.Ramkumar.
ramkumar1049

Postby kamdaswani » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:16 am

U have touched on a very sensitive topic so it has to looked at from various angles ..

First and foremost, which spiritual path ? The caliber of the student needs to be assessed ..

Second, how firmly are u practicing your "belief" ... Is it a by-the-way hobby or an intense yearning for self realization ? It is natural to read or hear something and be inspired for an hour or so and then revert - without bringing your state of inspiration into an actual way of life, one remains stagnant.

And of course, what is your understanding of the word grace ? Do u expect to be touched and have visions of some deity or your life to be wiped clean of it's slate of karma ? What exactly do you think the guru can do for you through his grace that you feel incapable of doing or sustaining through your "belief" ?

There are NO shortcuts and our Gurudev will the first to say, pull yourself up by your own bootstraps ! The poor guru is not a donkey for you to ride to the gates heaven !

Is the student dissipated ? Can he "see" the Unity in diversity ? Or is he drowning in the sea of duality ?

Grace, for a serious student, is not a topic to be entertained. It only further empowers the mind to ponder outwardly... The Guru's "job" is to guide you inwards to a state of Silence...
In that Silence, there is no need to question. If u are seeking grace, then the guru has failed in his job.
kamdaswani

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality