Study of Vendanta

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Study of Vendanta

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 am

Hari Om
What is Vedanta Upanishad

The end portion of vedas which gives the View of Life ( philosophy) is Vedanta. ( Veda purva gives details of Way of Living).

Upanisad - upa, near; ni, down; sad,sitting - When these meanings are combined the word Upanisad would refer to a knowledge gained sitting near a teacher.

Another meaning: Sad - total destruction or disintegration. Upa - That which is nearest. " I" the first person singular, the subject is the nearest i.e Atman. Ni - niscaya jnana, clear knowledge. Combining these together, The clear knowledge of Atman ( Brahma vidya) which destroys ignorance of Self.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:56 am

Hari Om

The Vedas ask us whether we want to lead a life of dependence or one of independence. Generally we seem to love dependence because we have got to used to it and due to ignorance of freedom. We have got used to a life of dependance on people, power, things, money and all those things needed for security and entertainment. We want to acquire and maintain. Veda Purva helps us by dealing with the fulfillment of Dharma, Artha and Kama, (Preyas).

If we become tired of dependence and are wise enough to seek independence, Veda anta comes to be of help. Vedanta helps in discovering independence, Moksha, Sreyas.

Vedanta is a systematic knowledge of life and living. It reveals our real Self. It helps us to understand who we really are. Explains our real nature, world and God and the relationships among these. With this knowledge, we can live a life of perfect harmony, peace and Ananda.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:30 am

Hari Om

The text book Tattvabodha talks about the qualifications required for Vedanta study and how to gain them.

These qualifications are listed as a group called sadhana catustayam, the four fold qualifications.

1) Discrimination ( Viveka)
2) Dispassion ( Vairagyam)
3) Discipline ( Satka sampatti)
4) Desire for Freedom ( Mumuksutvam)

Viveka is recognition of the superiority of Sreyas ( path of good) and risks involved in preyas ( path of pleasant). Unpredictability, risks, dissatisfaction, binding, problems and potential sorrows are associated with preyas. Sreyas gives samatvam ( sameness), poornatvam ( fullness) and Muktatvam ( Freedom). Intelligent living, analyzing the experiences of life with out being mechanical gives the capacity for Vivekam.
Viveka leads to Vairagyam, dispassion towards Preyas. Preyas is only a means and not an End. It is only a side dish and not main dish. Vairagyam does not mean hating Preyas. Preyas is to be used as the means only. Money is a good servant but a bad master.
Six fold disciplines - Sama ( Mind control), Dama ( Sense control), Uparama ( Withdrawal), Titiksha ( forbearance), Shraddha(faith in scriptures and Guru) and Samadhanam ( concentration).
Desire for freedom - This is also consequence of viveka. When I discern the fact that sreyas is superior to preyas, i choose sreyas as my primary goal. Dropping the passionate hold on preyas is vairagyam and stretching ourselves to reach sreyas is mumuksutvam.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:43 am

Hari Om

The scriptural study gives the knowledge through janana yoga which involves three stages Sravanam, Mananam and Nididdhyasanam.

Sravanam - Consistent and systematic study of scriptures for a length of time under the guidance of a competent Guru.
Mananam - Questioning and clearance of doubts.
Nididdyasanam - Assimilation of knowledge and converting it into emotional strength.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Very nice Muruganji. Here are some other meanings of the root sad

1. visharana(to destroy), 2. gati (to go, to propel) and 3. avasadana (to decay). So Upanishad destroys ignorance, propels a qualified seeker to Brahman and loosens the grip of samsara bondage.

Many times I used to think that I am not qualified to study this vedanta then why should I even study it? Reading these three meanings made me understand that though it might not destroy my ignorance because I am not qualified, but at least this study will propel me to Brahman and loosen my samsara bondage so it is worth studying.

murugans61 wrote:Hari Om
What is Vedanta Upanishad
The end portion of vedas which gives the View of Life ( philosophy) is Vedanta. ( Veda purva gives details of Way of Living).
Upanisad - upa, near; ni, down; sad,sitting - When these meanings are combined the word Upanisad would refer to a knowledge gained sitting near a teacher.
Another meaning: Sad - total destruction or disintegration. Upa - That which is nearest. " I" the first person singular, the subject is the nearest i.e Atman. Ni - niscaya jnana, clear knowledge. Combining these together, The clear knowledge of Atman ( Brahma vidya) which destroys ignorance of Self.
Pranams
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri May 28, 2010 10:59 am

Hari Om. Pranams Muruganji. You have nicely given what is involved in Vedanta study esp relationship between our true nature, world and God.

There is a two stage process used for teaching Vedanta. It is called 'Adhyarop'(Superimposition) and 'Apavad'(De superimposition). In Superimposition duality is deliberately introduced by teacher and in (De superimposition) it is taken away to reveal the truth. e.g. first a teacher presents pot as "effect of clay" (world is created by Ishwara), then he presents clay as the "cause of the pot" (Ishwara is cause of Jagat) so a relationship is created between cause and effect (deliberately superimposed) . These two steps falls under Adhyarop. Once student gets that, then Apavad begins. Teacher says can you find Pot without clay? then student realizes that Oh..there is no pot separate from clay. No such thing. So teacher establishes that "effect is not different than cause" (Jagat is not separate than Ishwara). Once student gets that Teacher says "When there is no 'effect' why are you even calling it a 'cause'? " The cause-effect duality suddenly drops and Clay "as is" or Brahman one without a second is realized.

murugans61 wrote:Hari Om
The Vedas ask us whether we want to lead a life of dependence or one of independence. Generally we seem to love dependence because we have got to used to it and due to ignorance of freedom. We have got used to a life of dependance on people, power, things, money and all those things needed for security and entertainment. We want to acquire and maintain. Veda Purva helps us by dealing with the fulfillment of Dharma, Artha and Kama, (Preyas).
If we become tired of dependence and are wise enough to seek independence, Veda anta comes to be of help. Vedanta helps in discovering independence, Moksha, Sreyas.
Vedanta is a systematic knowledge of life and living. It reveals our real Self. It helps us to understand who we really are. Explains our real nature, world and God and the relationships among these. With this knowledge, we can live a life of perfect harmony, peace and Ananda.
Pranams
Padmaja

Postby kamdaswani » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:51 am

study means many different things to different people : for some, it is a by-the-way dabbling and for some, it is a lifetime dedicated to self realization ..

my reflection on the question is addressed here:http://the-irreverent-musings.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration.html
( it may be too long to post here or may be inappropriate to the topic, in which case, the moderator may delete this post at his/her discretion )

at His Feet,
kamal
kamdaswani

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality