Sadhana during the Advance Vedanta Study Course

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Sadhana during the Advance Vedanta Study Course

Postby Padmaja » Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Dear Kuganji, Hari Om. Pranams.

My thoughts on your question - whatever is mentioned in Foundation E Vedanta about "Japa, meditation etc. to be done along with study" still holds good while doing Advanced E Vedanta course and even after also. Study and sadhana both things are necessary, just like while eating chewing is necessary. In advanced E Vedanta course more focus needs to be on 'mananam'(reflection).

There are two types of sadhanas that need to be done together - in one "you do something" and in another "you try to know something". What we are trying to acheive is 'already gained' just that "we don't know that we have it", so it is not really about "gaining something from outside". Let me give an example, if I was wearing gold neckless and thought that I lost it, then I will be crying and searching for it all over the place. My friend says "hey..check in your purse, you might have kept it there" but I am not ready to listen to her at all, because I just remember wearing it and have totally forgotten about putting it in purse. Now to find that neckless two things need to happen -
1) I need to be fully convinced that it is not anywhere outside [negation], otherwise I won't look inside. So I need to keep on searching outside. In this process I gain more faith in my wise friend and start to surrender to her suggestion more and more.
2) I need to check for it in purse "with full conviction and not half heartedly" till I find it. That means I need to entertain and strengthen a thought that "it is in purse" [ Assertion]

Puja, japa, charity, karma yoga, hatha yoga...all those external sadhanas do number 1. Shravan, Manan and Nididhyasan (listening to scripture, reflecting on it and contemplating on it) achieve number 2.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Thu May 13, 2010 1:12 am

Hari Om. Pranams...that second type of sadhana which I have called as "you try to know something", probably can be called as "you let it happen" ..external sadhana "you do"(action) and internal "you let it happen" because it is not an action, it is knowledge.
Padmaja

Postby kugan » Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 am

Hari Om

What sort of routine is done for those who are doing the Sandeepany Sadhanalaya 2 year program?

It would be really inspiration to see their timetable and then derive something from there. I've read this article about the course here which I thought was very useful

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=5058
kugan

Postby Padmaja » Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 am

Hari Om Kuganji. Pranams.

I don't know about the routine for 2 year Brahmachari course. Somebody who knows it will properly answer your question. However for one year full-time residential Vedanta course of Chinmaya Mission, that will be starting in August in USA, they have posted the tentative routine as below.

6:00 - 6:30 am - Vedic Chanting / Guided Meditation
7:15 - 8:15 am - Vedanta Class (15 minutes of chanting before class)
8:30 - 9:30 am - Breakfast
10:00 - 10:45 am - Samskrt class (Alternate Entry Level and Advanced. No Samskrt Class on Sunday)
12:00 - 12:30 pm - Vishnu Sahasranamam/15th chapter Gita
12:30 - 1:30 pm - Lunch
1:30 - 3:30 pm - Rest/Personal Work
3:30 - 4:00 pm - Tea
4:00 - 5:00 pm - Vedanta Class
6:00 - 7:30 pm - Arati, Bhajan, Satsang
7:45 - 8:45 pm - Dinner
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 am

Hari Om..to tell you honestly, I think sadhana is a 24x7(all day) thing and it can't be separated from normal living. It flows as an under current to all our transactions and thoughts, and it goes hand in hand with our day to day living. We play so many roles, mother, sister, friend, employee, householder, daughter etc etc. I think after adding one more role called seeker/devotee/disciple (whatever you might want to call it).. and identifying with it whole heartedly, all other roles suddenly become secondary to that and that gets called as sadhana. Birth is really 'identification', so in that sense, we are born again in the same life. :-) and this time with 'hope'..
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:22 am

Hari Om Padmajaji

Thank you for your nice explanations on Sadhana in response to Kuganji's questions.

Can we study Sadhana Chatustaya in this forum. Request you to kindly take us through it and let us learn the nuances of it.

I tried to read your post on happiness in the Foundation vedanta forum, but i am unable to get in to it through my user id and pass word. Then i tried to create another user id with a different email, still i am not able to get in to it. Can you pls guide me how i can access the posts in the foundation / advanced vedanta forums.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Fri May 14, 2010 4:10 am

Hari Om. Pranams Muruganji.

What do you think about studying together Pujya Gurudev's commentary on Adi Shankaracharyaji's "Sadhana Panchakam"? It is a very small book packed with lot of sadhana pointers. We can take up one line, from one verse, at a time to discuss. Let me know if that sounds good.

I am also having problem accessing Advanced E Vedanta forum since last two days. I have written to administrator. You can contact the webadmin and ask them to enable access for that forum.
Padmaja

Postby kugan » Fri May 14, 2010 4:56 am

I think Sadhana Panchakam would be great!!! Can we start immediately
kugan

Postby Padmaja » Fri May 14, 2010 11:25 am

Hari Om. Pranams Kuganji..sounds good ! Let's wait to hear from others also. If we get at least couple of more members interested, I will open another topic thread called "Sadhana Panchakam study group". By the way, do you have "Sadhana panchakam" book? Not a big deal if you don't have it, because I can always post the verse and meaning, but if you have it then we can share posting.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Hari Om

Thank you Padmajaji for the suggestion on Sadhana Panchakam. Let us start our discussion on Sadhana Panchakam and i would like to be a part of it.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby kugan » Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Hari Om.

yes I do have the book..its a few pages only right with transileration and explanation by Swami Chinmayananda.
This would be a brilliant text to have a study group on.
I dont mind helping post the verses.
kugan

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality