Sadhana Panchakam Study Group

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Sadhana Panchakam Study Group

Postby Padmaja » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Vignesh ji and Murugan ji. Let's now reflect on these and write our thoughts.
Padmaja

Postby vignesh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Pranams

The last two instructions teaches us the following:

Our Prarabdha karma is inevitable and we have to go through it. We are the author of our Prarabdha karma.

The ultimate stage is to live the life with God consciousness. We need to see the presence of divinity all around us and in every action and in every moment of our life.

regards
vignesh
vignesh

Postby Padmaja » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Vignesh ji for bringing out the gyst of the last two instructions.

Here is my reflection -

39. Experience and exhaust the past actions that have started Prarabdham

Prarabdha - results of "my doing" of the past, inevitable like a shot arrow, goes away only by exhausting

Attitude towards exhausting Prarabdha - given by the Lord to mould us, surrender, patient heroism

Attitude towards others while exhausting - silent dignity, shameless courage, humility

Lesson to be learnt - make sure all actions are "Ishvarapitam Necchayakrutam" (not sprouting from egocetric desire and offered to the Lord.). Even better is - live as "an instrument of the Lord", let all actions sprout from His will ( no present and future actions of one's own making)

40. Thereafter live absorbed in the Bhav, " I am Brahman"

End of ignorance, plurality, finitude, sorrow, changes, bondage of time

Bhav - Supreme Divinity (Brahman) alone is everything everywhere, HE is "I' and "I" is HE, there is nothing other than Him, Many manifestations is Self, Self enlivening all forms, there is no 'I' other than 'Self", "I" in Me is "I" in everybody
(like if a 'dream-experiencer' realises in a dream that he is a 'Dreamer'. All dream forms, dream-beings are also 'Dreamer' (Self) alone.)

"I am Brahman" bhav is not a slogan to prattle or not a vanity to be screamed, it will be seen reflected in all actions.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 am

Hari OM

Thank you Vigneshji and Padmajaji for your beautiful pointers.

When a person goes through Prarabdha karmas from the stand point of Atma dhrishti, even though the suka and dhukka will be there, their effect on him will be very negligible, like a mosquito bite on an elephant.

With Ahankara dhrishti , the suffering will be more and with Atma dhrishti it will be nothing.

When the ahankara goes and BMI is disowned, what remains is Atman. When pot is there, the space is pot space. When pot is broken, pot space goes, SPACE remains.

Bagavan Adi Sankara,thus takes us through these 40 flight of steps, a wonderful scriptural scheme of life, in five compact verses, in a systematic way towards Moksha, on the platform of two broad dimensions viz Ashrama ( Brahmacharya, Grihastha, Vanaprastha and Sanyasa) and Yoga ( Karma, Upasana and Gnana yogas).

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Thanks Muruganji for pointing out how Prarabdha becomes a non-issue when viewed from the absolute standpoint (Atma drishti)
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Pujya Gurudev has made two 'loaded' statements that beg more reflection on our part to bring out their full import. Please share your thoughts on these two statements. Thank You.

- Suffer Prarabdha in "silent dignity", with "shameless courage", and "patient heroism".

- "I am Brahman" is not a slogan to prattle about, not a vanity to be screamed in the world; it is not a creed accepted but an attitude natural, ever echoing through all his performances in the world.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Hari OM

Suffer Prarabdha in "silent dignity", with "shameless courage", and "patient heroism".

"I am Brahman" is not a slogan to prattle about, not a vanity to be screamed in the world; it is not a creed accepted but an attitude natural, ever echoing through all his performances in the world.

We are the author of our own karmas and the karmas which are now frutifying are our Prarabdhas. We need to have the courage to accept them with silent dignity i.e without grumbling about them, if the effect is dhuka or without getting overly elated by them if the effect is sukha.
I am Brahman is not to be at the emotional level alone after listening to some lectures and reading some spiritual literature. This fact that we are Brahman has to be assimilated and lived.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

- Suffer Prarabdha in "silent dignity", with "shameless courage", and "patient heroism".

Prarabdha coming to us might be something which is not looked upon highly by society. While going through it we should not complain, not grumble, not argue but accept it silently. At the same time we should not lose our self esteem and hope. We should not remain in the negativity of continuous self condemnation, but our mind should be kept in the 'dignified knowledge' that "This is result of my past actions which I did in ignorance. I need to go through this. My current righteous actions are shaping my glorious and bright future."

Prarabdha might make us go through some situation that we are ashamed of. However, by taking full responsibility for our past actions we should suffer the consequences shamelessly. There might be a tendecy in our mind to dodge it or avoid it by turning to untruthful means. We should avoid taking such short cuts, hiding behind lies. We should face it and come out clean courageously and become an example for the world how to live life.

Prarabdha at times seems 'never ending'. At such times we start doubting our knowledge, our positive virtues and goodness in general. We should have 'patience' while going through it. Suppose if a person is blind folded and taken on a rough journey which is to last for 9 days after which he will be given a kingdom of heaven. He is kept in dark regarding length of journey and what awaits in future. Imagine now if he suffers through that journey for 8 days and then loses his patience, rebels and turns back. We don't know how long some suffering will last but we do know luckily that 'nothing lasts' and 'prarabdha goes away by exhausting'. If we react then we will create kriyamana which will make us suffer in future so we need to have heroism and patience while suffering.

- "I am Brahman" is not a slogan to prattle about, not a vanity to be screamed in the world; it is not a creed accepted but an attitude natural, ever echoing through all his performances in the world.

If somebody wants to be wealthy and they earn little bit of money then they will immediately try to 'show off' their wealth. However, a son of multi-billionaire tycoon doesn't feel any particular need to display his wealth. Everything he wears, uses will be rich and classy. Sant Gajanan Maharaj of Shegaon has said - those(seekers) who have started walking the path of liberation but have not reached that goal will have arguments and insistence on their way of seeking. However, upon reaching they all become Saints and there doesn't remain an iota of difference between them. They become One. One who is established in Brahman will display "fullness" and "joy" in all his actions naturally.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:24 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

This was the last instruction of Sadhana Panchakam !!! Vigneshji, unless you have something to add..

With grace of the Lord and many blessings of Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji we have successfully concluded our Sadhana Panchakam study. Now, our reflection and sadhana will continue with slightly better understanding.

I thank one and all - all those who inspired, all those who participated (Muruganji, Vigneshji), all those who stopped by for some time(Kuganji, Meeraji, Padmapushpaji), all those who gave guidance in many ways (entire Guru Parampara), all those who silently wished well, all those who read this discussion ...thank you all very much.

Many Pranams and Thank you Bhagavan !
Padmaja

Previous

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality