Question regarding the Ramayana

Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Open Discussion Forum for general public to discuss and debate the fine nuances of Vedanta and its role in spirituality. Rules apply. Registration necessary.

Re: Question regarding the Ramayana

Postby Padmaja » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

:D I enjoyed your questions a lot. God only knows God's leelas ! What would we know? He is just amazing ! However for us devotees it gives immense joy to talk about Him so let's talk...

A brilliant actor pours all his art into the role he plays. He makes it come alive and makes us cry too !!! When Lord enters stage of world as an incarnation He not only plays that role but actually experiences emotions and thoughts and everything, all along knowing well that "He is Lord".

"one after other" assumes Time. God is beyond time so "one after other" or "together" doesn't make any difference to God. He can do anything !

Lord Parashuram incarnation was for specific purpose only. Lord Rama came to show how an 'Ideal Human being' should be. Lord Krishna displayed 'Total Lordship" that is why He could make Himself appear in over 16 thousand forms to be with over 16 thousand queens. He was making each of them happy their way, somewhere He was playing dice, somewhere He was enjoying food, somewhere He was dancing, ..all at the same time. He taught Geeta, He played with Gopis, He stole butter and gave joy to mother Yashoda, He killed many daemons, He ruled as King, He became charioteer to Arjuna, He studied in Sandeepany, had mock fights with Balarama, gave Arjuna vishvarup darshan, showed all universe to Mother Yashoda in mouth...what did He not do? Lord is just amazing and we have to just watch Him with awe !!! Mind boggling. It stretches our mind so much that our 'I know' ego turns to dust !!!
Padmaja

Postby vanajaravinair » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 am

Hari Om
Parashurama was an Amsaavatar of Lord Vishnu, and He gave Sri Rama a 'Vaislhnava' bow not that of Lord Shiva. The following note is taken from facebook.

Use of weapons by a Brahman :The Gautam Dharmasutra states that in adverse times... a Brahman (priest) may use weapons. Manu too reiterates that a Brahman may wield a weapon to protect the system of classes and stages of life and his wife, other Brahmans and himself.An illustration to show that effulgence of a Brahman and a Kshatriya (warrior) coexist is Shri Parshuram.अग्रत: चतुरो वेदा: पृष्‍ठत: सशरं धनु: ।
इदं ब्राह्मं इदं क्षात्रं शापादपि शरादपि ।।Meaning: Shri Parshuram who is well versed in the four Vedas and sports a bow and arrow upon His back (that is the one who has the effulgence of both the Brahman and the Kshatriya) will destroy evildoers either with a curse or with an arrow.Implied meaning: Being well versed in the Vedas implies being knowledgeable. Hence He will first impart spiritual knowledge and try to teach the people. Even then if they pay no heed then He will destroy the evildoers either with a curse or an arrow.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Hari Om Kugan,

Hope you won't think poorly of my just walking in with my thoughts. The Ramayan is always a spource of great joy, hence here some thoughts:

1. The 2 bows: It seems Viswakarmaji had designed two powerful bows, which he gave one each to Vishnu Bhagawan and Shiva Bhagawan. The one that Lord Rama drew and broke at the Sita Swayamvar was the bow of Lord Shiva. The one that Parasurama presents now to Lord Rama is the one belonging to Vishnu.
2. Parsurama was a partial avatar (others include Vedavyaasa, Kapila muni of Samkhya fame...) (I do think there is no surprise value in 2 avataras coexisting or overlapping because finally everyone and everything is Bhagawan as intelligent cause...The peculiarity of a amsha avatar (as Vanajamma said) is that ParaBrahman retains a part of the powers and sends a part to earth to manifest. (Sorry, that may sound very immature, but since it is understandable thus, I stated it thus. Then again, we know that everytime Bhagawan takes an avatra, it is for protecting Dharma. (Paritraanaaya sadhunaam...)
[The Srimad Bhagwatham explains the numerous avataras, amsha avatras, the avadhutas etc in painstaking details.]

3. Parasurama's story is long and deep. In brief his birth as avatar of Vishnu or let's say, Vishnu Bhagawan took the avatar as Parashurama in order to destroy the adharmic Kshatriya princes of the Sat Yug. There was a king named Karteeverya Arjuna whose sons killed Jamadagni, father of Parashurama...rich and deep story.. look up Srimad Bhagawatam...and to avenge his father's death it is said Parashurma cleaned up all the kshatriya kings of that time, save Janak and Dasaratha...

4. The important thing here would be the transfer of His powers. Parsuram as partial avatar had some of the powers, which he loses to or transfers off to Rama in that encounter. Let’s say, the powers devolved back to Vishnu in Ramaavatar, so that Parasurama as the avatar ceases to be the Power that is Vishnu. Maybe we can understand that as: The Parashurama avatar had served its purpose with the cleansing of the adharmik kshatriyas...so the powers were 'surrendered' almost...but read on..
5. I have also read that not all his powers dissolve back to Rama. Some remain which he does display during the Krishnavatar where he is seen as Karna’s teacher (a beautiful guru-shishya episode that is again unforgiving and harsh, but then that is again for us to learn something from...).
6. That Parasurama is seen in Ramavatar and again in Krishnavatar which are so far apart may be explained by the fact that Parasuram is a chiranjeev…

7. One more story goes (and I prefer this one :) that when Rama broke the Shiva bow at Sita Swwayamvar, its thunder was heard by the sages all over the cosmos... and so did Parasurama too hear... he went to investigate and came across Sita-ma, and on meeting her he is said to have blessed her 'Deergha sumangali bhava!' so that when he encounters Rama, he keeps his vow and just surrenders.

But whatever the story, I think the moment in Time had come for the power of Vishnu in Parashurama to ascend into Vishnu as Lord Rama...

What remains difficu;t to comprehend are the feelings of despondency that Parashurama feels when he retires into Mahendranagar or Mahendrapuri (dont know)...but I guess this is a subtlety that can be taken as a story for our worldly ears...

I have emptied all my understanding as is, pls forgive me for any errors and haste.

Hari Om
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Hari Om

Thank you Meeraji, for explaining so well. Really enlightening and thanks a lot.

When we go through the Puranas, I feel, we should understand the messages they convey in each stories, rather than get carried away by the stories. For each and every incident in the puranas, there is a hidden message for us. is it not?

I am happy to see a Ramayana satsang through this discussion.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Hari Om Vanajamma and others,

Funny you should say this. This morning I was reading about a logician named Harsha Mishra who wrote a book titled Khandana Khanda Khadyam (sorry, I may be stating that slightly wrongly) wherein he says I have deliberatly made everything extremely difficult to understand so that the book is not accessible to folls who think they understand! I found that hilarious and it was in sync with Padmaja's question in the Gita forum about misinterpreting scriptures... I cd see why Mishraji did what he did. The same seems applicable to the Puranas too I feel. Maybe the essence of the Puranas have to be mined and obtained like the bee that sucks the nectar out of the flower, yet that same nectar is not available to you and me!

Because it comes as stories many are tempted to read the physical form of the story. You are right, one must go deep and examine what is the essence...

Our thanks to Kugan for bringing this up...
Hari Om
meera

Return to Vedanta and Spirituality