Gita Study Group : Chapter 3 : Karma Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Gita Study Group : Chapter 3 : Karma Yoga

Postby uma » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:52 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Padmajaji, our brilliant coordinator has been assigned some other noble work and would not be able to conduct this forum for some time. She has requested myself and Mr Muruganji to conduct this forum and continue with the good work initiated by her.

Let us try and make her endeavour a success and let us also enrich our own knowledge and personality in the process.

Borrowing a few of Padmajaji’s words, we begin ..

With Bhagvan's grace, Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji's blessings, we successfully completed systematic study of second chapter of Gita, Sankhya Yoga or Yoga of Knowledge.

Let's now study the next chapter, Chapter 3, Karma Yoga.

Guidelines: We will stick to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji's Gita text for our study and Pujya Swami Advayanandaji's "Gita Ready Reference" book for our main reference. Additional references only from Chinmaya Mission Acharya's discourses/CDs/DVDs/Shankara Bhashya will be allowed and appreciated. We will take up the verses according to the thought flow for our discussion.

Since we are starting a new topic I invite all readers to come forward and join this discussion actively. If we have more participants we will get more views and that will enrich our Satsang. I also request respected Acharyas here to please help us in our effort. There are different ways you can participate in this discussion.

Category 1. You would like to be an integral part of this study group and will be commited to study. You will be posting verses, writing your thoughts/reflections/references on verses regularly. I will count on you to be regular and will call you out for contributing.

Category 2. You would like to be a casual contributor because you are very interested in participating but cannot devote regular time. You will participate as and when you have time. I will not call you out for any time critical tasks like posting verses. You are very welcome to contribute/ask questions anytime as long as you stick to guideline above and keep your posting relevant to the ongoing discussion.

Category 3. You are an Acharya or Brahmachari or Swamiji or knowledgeable Vedanta Scholar of Chinmaya Mission. You would like to provide guidance to us or give pointers to us when you have time. We will be very grateful to you ! You may remain anonymous without revealing your identity if that's what you like, as long as you identify yourself in category 3.

Looking forward to hearing your interest. Please specify which category you would like to join. A brief introduction about you will be helpful too.

Regards
uma
uma

Re: Gita Study Group : Chapter 3 : Karma Yoga

Postby murugans61 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Hari OM

I am Murugan, student of CIF Foundation and Advanced E vedanta courses. I am currently doing CIF Easy Sanskrit on line course. I am interested to be a category 1 participant.

pranams
murugans61

Postby nikitaisrani » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hari om and pranams Uma ji and Murugan ji,

Myself, nikita, I am a student of CIF advanced e vedanta and CIF IGNOU sanskrit courses. I am almost through with the sanskrit course and at the beginning of the advanced e vedanta course.

I would be interested in category 1 discussion.

Uma ji, you have mentioned Pujya Swami Advayanandaji's "Gita Ready Reference" book as the main reference, can you suggest any other books that can be referred to. I will make it a point to buy these asap.

regards,
nikita
nikitaisrani

Postby akore2000 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Hari Om and Pranam to all

I am Abhay Kore, a devotee of Pujya Guruji, would like to participate in catagory 2 for now.

Hari Om
Abhay
akore2000

Postby uma » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

I am Uma Patki, from Mumbai. Have completed Foundation Vedanta, Advanced Vedanta and E Sanskrit Course of Chinmay Mission.

Welcome, Muruganji, Abhayaji and Nikitaji.

Nikitaji, do you have Swami Chinmayanandaji's commentary on Geeta adhayays ? There is a book for each adhayay. ( Adhayay 1 and 2, also adhayay 12 and 13 and adhayay 16, 17 are combined together. ) To be a category 1 student, these books are essential, apart from Holy Geeta Reference Book. For the purpose of this forum and study, we are sticking to these books.

For extra reading, there is a book, "Vision of Bhagvadgeeta" by Swami Tejomayanandji.

Vedanranganji, Vanaja amma, Meeraji and other participants for Geeta Chapter 1 and 2, please do come forward.

Regards

uma
uma

Postby nikitaisrani » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 am

Hari om and pranams to all.

Thanks for the warm welcome Uma ji.

Currently I do not have the reference books that you have suggested. But I will make it a point to buy these over the weekend and start contributing to this forum. I am happy to be a part of this forum. Looking forward to the discussions.

Regards,
nikita
nikitaisrani

Postby uma » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Offering prayers to Him and saluting Swami Chinmayanandji, Swami Tejomayanandaji and all other Acharyas of the Mission, let us humbly begin Chapter 3 – Karma Yoga – Yoga of Action

We will cover Arjuna’s questions to Bhagwan Krishna :

Verse 1 Uma
Verse 2 Muruganji

HGRR

Thoughts and concepts

1 and 2 : Muruganji

Selections for Reflection

1, 2, 3 and 4 : Uma

Verses for Memorisation :

Verse 1 : By all

Nikitaji, please do let me know when you get the books so that verses can be allotted to you as well.

Thanks and Regards

uma
uma

Postby uma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Posting Verse 1 and Selctions from HGRR :

श्री परमात्मने नम :
अथ तृतीयोध्याय :
अर्जुन उवाच -

ज्यायसी चेत्कर्मणस्ते मता बुद्धिर्जनार्दन ।
तत्किं कर्मणि घोरे मां नियोजयसि केशव ॥ १ ॥

Arjuna uvaach

jyayasi chet karmaNste mataa buddhirjanardan |
tatkim karmaNi ghore mam niyojaysi keshav ||

ज्यायसी - superior , चेत -if , कर्मण : - than action , ते- by you , मता - thought , बुद्धि : - knowledge , जनार्दन - O Janardan , तत् -then , किं -why , कर्मणि -in action , घोरे - terrible, मां -me , नियोजयसि - you engage ,केशव - O Keshav

Arjuna said -

If it be thought by you that " knowledge" is superior to "action", O Janaradan, why then, do you , O Keshava, engage me in this terrible action ?

Although, Krishna had earlier explained to Arjuna that fighting in the army was championing for the cause of the good and it did not amount to a plot of murdering relatives, Arjuna had not fully grasped it and had not let his egosim sink. He is now asking Krishna that if " path of renunciation " was advocated earlier, then why now Arjuna is being prompted to undertake the terrible path of action.

HGRR - Selections for Reflection

1. Vedanta being a complete and exhaustive science of religion, the great rishis never by-passed the intellect of their disciples by appealing to their blind faith or insiting upon their abject devotion. The Masters of the old encouraged doubts and invited discussions. It is during these discussions that the student wrestled with the teacher in the arena of intellect, and in this exercise he became spiritually stronger and perfectly agile. ( Introduction )

2. The Gita was written as an answer to an urgent demand in the time of Vyasa. The old traditional thought became stereotyped and lifeless. Dead phrases and cliches cannot nourish a culture. thus, through the Gita, shri Krishna is made to give out a re interpretation of the Vedic turths in the context of His time, and in the language of the world in which He Himself happened to live. ( Introduction )

3. Any action can be a glorious "worship" ( yajna ) if only it is undertaken with the required purity of motive, with a spirit of surrender, and with deep emotion of love. ( Introduction )

4. Arjuna cannot have any individual personality in an army. It was a war. In a war, when two armies fight they represent the clash of two ideologies. The Pandavas were convinced of the moral purity, the spiritual worth and the divine glory of their standpoint. But unfortunately, Arjun could not sink his egoism, and see himself totally identified with the army, championing the cause of the good. To the degree he could not identify himself with the cause, to that extent he nourished a self centred egoistic vanity, and. therefore, his moral puritanism in fighting the war. (3.1)

Regards

uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:39 am

Hari OM

Verse 2
Vyamisreneva vakyena buddhim mohayasivame
Tad-ekam vada niscitya yena sreyoham apnuyam

Vyamisrena – perplexing
Iva – as it were
Vakyena – with words
Buddhim- understanding
Mohayasi – (you) confuse
Iva- as it where
Me- my
Tat-that
Ekam – one
Vada- tell
Niscitya- for certain
Yena- by which
Sreyah- the good or the highest
Aham – I
Apnuyam – may attain

With these apparently perplexing words you confuse my understanding. Tell me that one way by which I may attain the Highest.

The Pandava hero is confessing that he has been confused with the wealth of detail contained in the previous discourses. Therefore he asks, tell me that one path by which, I for certain, can attain the Highest.

Thoughts and Concepts

1. Action and renunciation are not to be practiced together, but to be practiced serially.

2. What prompted Arjuna to ask the following question in the beginning of the third chapter?
Jyayasi cetkarmanaste mata buddhirjanardana
Tatkim karmani ghore mam niyojayasi kesava.

If it be thought by you that “ Knowledge” is supreme to action, O Janardana, why then, do you, O Kesava, engage me in this terrible action?
Sri Krishna vehemently argued against Arjuna’s decision not to fight but to renounce the glory of success and retire to the quietude of the jungle to live there the life of a monk seeking the Divine. In his arguments, at one moment, the Lord advised Arjuna that it was his duty to work without getting preoccupied with its result. Sri Krishna had also warned him, “let not thy attachment be toward inaction”. Later on, the chapter concluded ( verses 2.55 – 2. 72) with the inspired advocacy of the path of knowledge. Naturally, Arjuna felt confused as to which of the paths he was to follow for his self-development.
In fact, the arguments raised by Lord Krishna in his discourse create a grave doubt as to which exactly is the path that will take a seeker easily to the Realisation of the Absolute in Him. Is it: (a) Knowledge, (b) Action, (c) both together practiced in a synthesis, or lastly is it the total renunciation of both? Is it this which prompts Arjuna to ask the above question. ( Introduction )

Pranams
murugans61

Postby vanajaravinair » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Hari Om

I am Vanaja Ravi Nair, a student of (Postal) Foundation Vedanta Course, Sevika of Chinmaya Mission, Dombivli, would like to participate in catagory 2.

Pranams to all devotees,

Vanaja
vanajaravinair

Postby uma » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:39 am

Hari Om. Pranam.

Welcome Abhayaji and Vanajaamma !

Here are the Verses for our discussion. Please post your thoughts, your study notes, reflections on these verses.

Offering this garland of verses to you O Krishna with Love from all of us...please help us in our studies.
=============================================================================

श्री परमात्मने नम :
अथ तृतीयोध्याय :
अर्जुन उवाच -

Arjuna uvaach

jyayasi chet karmaNste mataa buddhirjanardan |
tatkim karmaNi ghore mam niyojaysi keshav ||

ज्यायसी - superior , चेत -if , कर्मण : - than action , ते- by you , मता - thought , बुद्धि : - knowledge , जनार्दन - O Janardan , तत् -then , किं -why , कर्मणि -in action , घोरे - terrible, मां -me , नियोजयसि - you engage ,केशव - O Keshav

Arjuna said -

If it be thought by you that " knowledge" is superior to "action", O Janaradan, why then, do you , O Keshava, engage me in this terrible action ?

Although, Krishna had earlier explained to Arjuna that fighting in the army was championing for the cause of the good and it did not amount to a plot of murdering relatives, Arjuna had not fully grasped it and had not let his egosim sink. He is now asking Krishna that if " path of renunciation " was advocated earlier, then why now Arjuna is being prompted to undertake the terrible path of action.

व्यामिश्रेणेव वाक्येन बुद्धिं मोहयसीव मे |
तदेकं वद निश्चित्य येन श्रेयो हमाप्नुयां ॥ २ ॥

व्यामिश्रेणेव - perplexing, इव - as it were, वाक्येन -with speech , बुद्धिं -understanding, मोहयसि -(you) confuse , इव -as it were , मे -my , तत् -that , एकं -one , वद -tell, निश्चित्य -for certain , येन -by which , श्रेय:-the good or the highest ,अहं -I , आप्नुयाम -may attain

With these apparently perplexing words you confuse my understanding. Tell me that one way by which I may attain the Highest.

The Pandava hero is confessing that he has been confused with the wealth of detail contained in the previous discourses. Therefore he asks, tell me that one path by which, I for certain, can attain the Highest.

HGRR
Thoughts and Concepts
1. Action and renunciation are not to be practiced together, but to be practiced serially.

2. What prompted Arjuna to ask the following question in the beginning of the third chapter?

Jyayasi cetkarmanaste mata buddhirjanardana
Tatkim karmani ghore mam niyojayasi kesava.

If it be thought by you that “ Knowledge” is supreme to action, O Janardana, why then, do you, O Kesava, engage me in this terrible action?

Sri Krishna vehemently argued against Arjuna’s decision not to fight but to renounce the glory of success and retire to the quietude of the jungle to live there the life of a monk seeking the Divine. In his arguments, at one moment, the Lord advised Arjuna that it was his duty to work without getting preoccupied with its result. Sri Krishna had also warned him, “let not thy attachment be toward inaction”. Later on, the chapter concluded ( verses 2.55 – 2. 72) with the inspired advocacy of the path of knowledge. Naturally, Arjuna felt confused as to which of the paths he was to follow for his self-development.

In fact, the arguments raised by Lord Krishna in his discourse create a grave doubt as to which exactly is the path that will take a seeker easily to the Realisation of the Absolute in Him. Is it: (a) Knowledge, (b) Action, (c) both together practiced in a synthesis, or lastly is it the total renunciation of both? Is it this which prompts Arjuna to ask the above question. ( Introduction )

Selections for Reflection

1. Vedanta being a complete and exhaustive science of religion, the great rishis never by-passed the intellect of their disciples by appealing to their blind faith or insiting upon their abject devotion. The Masters of the old encouraged doubts and invited discussions. It is during these discussions that the student wrestled with the teacher in the arena of intellect, and in this exercise he became spiritually stronger and perfectly agile. ( Introduction )

2. The Gita was written as an answer to an urgent demand in the time of Vyasa. The old traditional thought became stereotyped and lifeless. Dead phrases and cliches cannot nourish a culture. thus, through the Gita, shri Krishna is made to give out a re interpretation of the Vedic turths in the context of His time, and in the language of the world in which He Himself happened to live. ( Introduction )

3. Any action can be a glorious "worship" ( yajna ) if only it is undertaken with the required purity of motive, with a spirit of surrender, and with deep emotion of love. ( Introduction )

4. Arjuna cannot have any individual personality in an army. It was a war. In a war, when two armies fight they represent the clash of two ideologies. The Pandavas were convinced of the moral purity, the spiritual worth and the divine glory of their standpoint. But unfortunately, Arjun could not sink his egoism, and see himself totally identified with the army, championing the cause of the good. To the degree he could not identify himself with the cause, to that extent he nourished a self centred egoistic vanity, and. therefore, his moral puritanism in fighting the war. (3.1)

Verses for Memorisation :

Verse 1 :

Regards
uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Hari OM

Reflections on V1 and V2:
Arjuna’s question clearly indicates that he is still immersed in his egoism, despite listening to Bahwan in the last chapter about philosophical truths of life. Due to his strong self centered egoistic vanity, he could not identify himself with the cause.
As a true Hindu, he knew vaguely that the material success is only a means and not an end goal. However, he wanted to get absolute clarity once again on how best he can achieve spiritual un-foldment in his environment.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby uma » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:49 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all

Reflections on Verse 1 and 2

Arjuna is confused as eariler Krishna advocated the path of renunciation and now he is asking Arjuna to get into action. Arjuna has not yet forgotten his egocentric point of view and is not yet one with the cause of his army fighting for the good. He is thinking of the other side in battle as his relatives and Gurus and is still hesitant to wage a war against them. And hence posing this question to Krishna.

These verses also indicate the freedom of the disciple to ask any question freely without any inhibitions.

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby krishnadhara » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Hari Om! Pranams!!

Background - member of CHYK/Mission for a long time, currently out of touch. Currently in Greater Noida. Wish to be included in Cat-2 here.

Regards,
Krishna
krishnadhara

Postby uma » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Welcome Krishnaji to this Gita Forum !

Let us give our reflections on thoughts and concepts and Selections on HGRR please.

Regards

uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Hari OM
Reflections on HGRR T&C.
In these verses, the freedom of the student to raise doubts and seek clarification from the teacher is depicted clearly.

Arjuna did not say that Krishna’s words were self contradictory, but they were seemingly contradictory. In Arjuna’s understanding, there was contradiction. Arjuna;s use of word iva, as though, reveals an important principle in communication : never evoke the defensive person in the one with whom you are communicating.

In Arjuna’s understanding, Krishna was asking him to act, but at the same time he was praising knowledge and its pursuit. Krishna seemed to be saying that knowledge liberates, but at the same time, he was asking Arjuna to do karma. Therefore he says, My perception is that I have not understood what you have taught.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby uma » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Muruganji has precisely pointed out the crux of the first two verses. There is nothing more to add from my side, also practical questions can only be raised after we study further verses. So please let us move on.

Let’s take up Verses 3 to 8 for our studies.

Posting of verses :
3, 4 : Muruganji
5, 6 : Uma
7, 8 : Nikitaji

Posting from HGRR -
Terms and Conditions
:
2, 3 : Nikitaji

Thoughts and Concepts :
3, 4, 5 : Muruganji
6, 7 : Uma

Selections for Reflection : 5, 6 : Uma

Verses for Momorisation :Verse 5 for all

Regards

uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Hari OM

Verse 3:
Lokesmin-dvividha nistha pura prokta mayanagha
Jnanayogena samkhyanam karmayogena yoginam
Loke- in the world
Asmin – in this
Dvividha –two fold
Nistha- path
Pura- previously
Prokta-said
Maya – by me
Anagha- O sinless one
Jnana yogena – by the one path of knowledge
Samkhyanam – of the Samkhyas
Karma-yogena- by the path of action
Yoginam – of the yogis
O Arjuna ( Anagha) as I have said before, in this world there is a twofold path; the path of knowledge of the Samkhyas and the Path of Action of the yogins.
To consider the path of action ( karma yoga) and the path of knowledge ( jnana yoga) as competitive is to understand neither of them. They are complimentary and are to be practiced one after the other.

Verse 4:
Na karmanam-anarambhan-naiskarmyam purusosnute
Na ca samnyasanad-eva siddhim siddhim samadhigacchati.
Na-not
Karmanam- of action
Anarambhat-by non performance
Naiskarmyam- actionlessness
Purusha- man
Asnute- reaches
Na-not
Ca- and
Samnyasanat- from renunciation
Eva-only
Siddhim-perfection
Samadhigaccati- attains
Man does not reach actionlessness by nonperformance of actions; nor does he attain perfection by mere renunciation.
Ignorance when it functions in intellect leads to desires which in turn lead to thoughts in the mind. These thoughts when they express in the outer world become actions. By mere renunciation of action no one attains perfection. Through action and purification of the inner instrument, the seeker walks the path of knowledge to ultimately reach the spiritual destination of Self-discovery.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby uma » Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Posting verses 5 and 6 :

न हि कश्चित् क्षणमपि जातु तिष्ठत्यकर्मकृत ।
कार्यते ह्यवश: कर्म सर्व: प्रकृतिजैर्गुणै: ॥ ५ ॥

na hi kaschit kshanamapi jaatu tishThaytakarmakrut |
kaaryate hyavash: karma sarvaha prakrutijairgunaih || 5 ||

न-not , हि -indeed, कश्चित् -anyone , क्षणम -a moment , अपि -even , जातु -verily , तिष्ठति -remains, अकर्म-कृत -without performing action ,
कार्यते-is made , हि -for , अवश:-helpless, कर्म -acion , सर्व: -all , प्रकृतिजै: -born of prakruti , गुणै: -by the qualities

5. Verily, none can ever remain, even for a moment, without performing action, for , everyone is made to act helplessly , indeed, by the qualities born of prakruti.

Man is always under the influence of satva, raj and tama gunas, and hence is bound to act helplessly. Total inactivity is the characteristics of insentient matter. during physical inactivity, mentally and intelectually , everyone is active all the time, except during deep sleep. Therefore, advice of Geeta is to act vigourously with right attitude of the mind.

कर्मेन्द्रियाणि संयम्य य आस्ते मनसा स्मरन ।
इन्द्रियार्थान्विमुढात्मा मिथ्याचार: स उच्यते ॥ ६ ॥

karmendriyaani sanyamya ya aaste manasaa smaran |
indriyaarthaanvimudhaatmaa mithyaachaarh sa uchyate || 6 ||

कर्मेन्द्रियाणि -organs of action , संयम्य -restraining , य: -who , आस्ते -sits , मनसा -by the mind , स्मरन-remembering , इन्द्रियार्थान -sense - objects , विमुढात्मा -of deluded understanding , मिथ्याचार:-hypocrite , स: -he , उच्यते -is called

6. He who, restraining the organs of action, sits thinking in his mind of the sense - objects, he, of deluded understanding, is called a hypocite.

To sit back, physically retired, is not the way to reach anywhere. And if this sitting back physically retired, is nto accompanied by equal amoutn of mental and intellectual withdrawal from the sensuous fields, then there isn't much spiritual future. To dissipate oneself with immoral or criminal thoughts is more harmful than to physically indulge in them. Outward physical discipline and show of morality and mentally thinking of the sensuous objects and low motives, can be termed as seld deluded hypocrisy.

Regards

uma
uma

Postby murugans61 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:27 am

Hari OM

Thoughts and Concepts

3.Why is it not possible to prescribe a single spiritual path for all people?
People fit for spiritual discipline fall under two distinct categories: the active and contemplative. Temperamentally, these two classes fall so widely apart, that to prescribe for both of them one and the same technique for individual development would be to discourage one section and ignore its spiritual progress.( 3.3)

4.How does ignorance express itself?
Ignorance ( avidya), when it functions in the intellect, expresses itself as desires. When the desires, which are nothing other than the “ignorance”, function in the mental zone, they express themselves as thoughts. These thoughts, when they express in the outer world, becomes actions ( 3.4)

5.Why does Bhagavat Gita advise a man to act vigorously?
Man is ever agitated under the influence of the triple tendencies of unactivity ( sattva), activity ( rajas) and inactivity ( tamas). Even for a single moment he can not remain totally inactive. Total inactivity is the character of utterly insentient matter. Even if we are physically at rest, mentally and intellectually we are active all the time, except during the state of deep sleep. So long as we are under the influence of these three mental tendencies ( gunas), we are helplessly prompted to labour and to act.
Therefore, not to act at all is to disobey the laws of nature, which will bring about a cultural deterioration within us. A person who remains inactive physically will get dissipated in his thoughts. Therefore, the Gita advises him to act vigourously, with the right attitude of mind, so that he may avoid all internal waste of energy and learn to grow in himself ( 3.5)

Pranams
murugans61

Next

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum