Gita Chapter 7 - Jnana Vijnana Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita Chapter 7 - Jnana Vijnana Yoga

Postby madan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Hari Om,
Those who are becoming free from old age and death by taking refuge in Me,worshiping Me, they come to Know Me as;That Brahman ( in tattvamasi Thou art That); complete adhyatmam- the individual self indicated by tvam pad; they also come to Know ' all actions along with instruments to Know the Truth.That is to say that they Know 'all sadhana'. This is the meaning.
Verse-30, Those who Know Me along with adhibuta, adhidaivam, adhiyajnam, they along with their mind ever focused on Me come to Know Me even at the time of death meaning at the time when one has no control over his body and mind even at that time thought of God will come and he shall Know Me. This will happen effortlessly with the grace of God.This is the idea.

Postby Arvind » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Hari Om,

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful reflections on these Slokas of Chapter 7.

Before proceeding to Chapter 8, let us pause and summarize this Chapter. Though we have
seen the Slokas independently when we summarize the whole chapter it will help us consolidate
the thoughts and help us understand the chapter holistically.

There are several ways to look at it. You can either summarize by Sloka, or give thought flow
or just list out the concepts covered. I leave it to to the members to reflect and come with their
best ways of summarizing the chapter.

So everyone please post the summary for this Chapter. Once that is done we proceed to Chapter 8.

Postby nikhil1707 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 am

Verse 28
The term 'TU' (but), has been used to show the singularity of those who, being free from delusion, worship the Lord.Men of virtuous deeds, are those who have realized, that the only aim of human life is God-realization They have a firm determination to realize Him, during this human life, which has been bestowed upon them for God-realization, and not for sensual pleasures.It means,that determination is a better means, than oblation, charity is of one's own self, while actions such as oblation, charity etc., are bodily acts.

'Antagatam papam, means, that when a man has a firm determination, that he has to realize God, all his sins are rooted out, because disinclination of God, is the root of sins.

The saints, have said that, there are one and a half sins, and one and a half virtues.Disinclination for God is one sin,and to be engaged in evil and immoral actions, is half. Similarly, inclination for God is one virtue, and engagement in good and moral actions, is half.
When man surrenders himself to God, all the sins perish.

Secondly, those people who sole aim is God-realization,are virtuous because by having this aim, all their sins come to an end.Even if, because of past influences, any sin, is committed.
God, Who dwells in their hearts, destroys that sin.

Thirdly, if a man determines sincerely, never to commit a sin, in future, his sins,perish.

Postby nikhil1707 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

Verse 29
In this Sloka, it is said the individual self will not suffer from old age and will not die and that old age and death will not be able to make him sad.
When a man identifies himself with the body, he accepts the body,old age and death.
Those who take refuge in God, strive are superior because they feel that they are engaged in spiritual discipline.only by God grace.
and those who strive, without taking refuge in Him for salvation, also know Him but they do not know.

'Te brahma tat (viduh)' Thus striving they attain Brahma who is formless, without attributes and who cannot be perceived, by mind,intellect and senses.

'Krtsnamadhyatmam (viduh)' by taking refuge in God, when a striver breaks up his affinity for actions and things, he realizes, that which is the Self, as well as, the Self of all the beings which is pure and detached from Prakriti.

'Karma cakhilam viduh' - The strivers know the entire field of action, why and how, the universe is created,God has created the bodies according to the class they belong to.
But because of detachment, the Lord remains a non-doer and has no craving, for the fruit of action.Similarly, if a man performs his duty and actions without feeling for doership and without desire for the fruit of actions he is not bound by actions.

Verse 30
Here 'Adhibhuta', stands for matter, which has predominance of Tamas.This matter has no independent existence,of its own.It is transitory and Kaleidoscopic But it seems real, pleasant and attractive, because of God, who is real pleasant and attractive, because of God.As ice no existence without water, matter is nothing but manifestation of God.This is knowledge about God and matter.

'Adhidaiva' is Brahma, the creator of the world.He has predominance of 'rajoguna'.The lord manifests Himself as Brahma also.This is true knowledge about Adhidaiva and God.

'Adhiyajna' is Lord Visnu, who pervades everywhere, in the form of unmanifest Divinity.In Him, there is predominance of the mode of goodness.This is true knowledge, about Adhiyajna and God.

Knowledge about God, with Adhibhuta, Adhidaiva and Adhiyajna is, that He stands holding the entire creation in one limb and in His supreme divine form, there are Adhibhuta, Adhidaiva and Adhiyajna.Arjuna also says,"O God, I behold in Your body, all the gods and multitudes of different beings,
Brahma, the Lord perched on a lotus.Lord Siva and all the sages and celestial serpents".Thus in reality,Lord Krsna Adhibhuta, Adhidaiva and Adhiyajna.

'Prayanakale mam te vidu'pi ca mam te viduryuktacetasah'- Steadfast in mind, are those, who remain unanimous in gain and loss,in prosperity and pleasures, and in becoming indifferent to the world, and are engrossed in worship of God.Such people, realize Him, at the time of death i.e.,remain established in Him, even in the pangs of death, they do not lose heart in the least, in spite of great turmoil, in their physical and subtle bodies.

Postby Payyubg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 am

Chapter 7 Summary

The Lord starts Chapter 7 by explaining this Divine Knowledge. It is so rare that only a few men aspire for it, and very few eventually succeed in their endeavor after many birth- death cycles.

His higher nature Para Prakruthi and lower nature apara prakruthi are then explained.
His higher nature is the Jiva (as the Life Principle) who in essence is pure Consciousness which is the substratum that supports everything.

The lower nature (earth,fire,water,sky,mind,air,intellect and ego) creates the maya which prevents us from knowing Him to be the very essence of all entities . Nothing is higher than Him. He supports and sustains all entities.

This Maya is created by the manifestations of the three Gunas. Although all these emanate from the Lord Himself, He is unaffected by them. Men are unable to devote themselves to Him with single minded devotion because of this Maya. They thus fall prey to the dualities like wanting pleasure but aversion to pain, like - dislike, heat- cold etc.

The devotee who knows Him, is one who has controlled these tendencies , is selfless in his actions , and is able to steadfastly think about the Lord at all times. He is thus free from birth- death cycles , is in constant union with The Lord, and in total blissful Consciousness.

The Lord is the supreme and imperishable Brahman. All prayers ultimately reach Him.

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am

This chapter deals with gnyana and vignana yoga means the yoga of knowledge and wisdom.When the knowledge is applied,it is called wisdom-meaning the intellectual
understanding and intimate experience.The knowledge acquired through theoretical studies and the knowledge acquired through personal experiences.The former is raw knowledge and the later is wisdom.The knowledge of the self has been explained by Krishna in a very simple and clear method.Even our limited intellect can understand the infinite self in all its relative aspects.

This knowledge of reality cannot be grasped by those enveloped by sattva,Rajas and TAMAS constituting ignorance.It can be grasped by those,who struggle hard,may be through many births,and those who sublimate themselves by casting of their sense of duality.

Postby Arvind » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Summary of Chapter 7

Hari Om,
In the summary I have followed the thought flow as given by Swamiji in the course.

The seed of Chapter 7 is in the last Sloka of Chapter 6, which said that of all sadhakas, one whose mind is totally devoted to Me and with great faith worships Me, such a person I consider as the best of all sadhakas. Therefore arises three questions, which form the content of this Chapter.
Q1 - Who are you, the nature of the Lord, bhagavat tattva
Q2 - Who is your devotee, what is bhagavat bhakti
Q3 - What is he nature of worshipping , i.e bhagavat bhakti.

Topic 1: The Lord creates eagerness in the knowledge. (Sloka 1-3)
The Lord says he will give you the knowledge in such a way that it will free all your doubts and bring clarity. The preperation I want from you is refuge, devotion and practice of devotion to Me. I will give you the knowledge in such a way that you will also experience it, and knowing which nothing else will remain to be known. Moreover this knowledge is so rare, that one person finally gets it. This knowledge I am imparting it to you.

Topic 2: Nature of the Lord (Sloka 4, 7)
My Nature is two fold, one is para another is apara. apara is inert and eight fold which include the 24 factors of Creation. This component of me is lower. The second component is Para Prakriti, my Higher Nature which is jivabhutam, the jiva itself, which expresses as sentiency, the life Principle. So in reality the jiva is pure Consciousness. Both of these together is the world of plurality, the inert and the sentient. But really speaking both of these are Me only.

Sub Topic 2: Advaita Darshana (Sloka 6,7)
For the whole world I am the sustainance (prabhava sthana) as well as centre where everything dissolves (pralaya sthana). So the Lord shows whatever is born, it ends. And I am the "abhinna nimitta upadhana karana" as everything is born from Me and goes back to Me only at the end. And since this world has a mere appearance, the falsity of the world is also shown. And since I am the Truth of this world and the essence of Para Prakriti, the satya factor behind this world is also shown (ie Brahma satyam jagan mithya is indicated, the Advaita darshana).

Topic 3: The Lord indicates he is the sthithi karana (Sloka 7)
I am also the sthithi katana, the cause of an object's existence. I hold this entire world like a garland holds the beads of a necklace.

Topic 4: The Lord indicates his vibhuti , the vijnana (Sloka 9-11)
The Lord indicates the grosser aspects of his manifestation to enable the user to see his glory. The seeker is enabled to experience the Lord by practicing shifting of the mind from the gross to the subtle.

Topic 5: The Lord is Not Affected by the World (Sloka 12)
They, the world of objects are in Me, but I am not in them. I am not affected by the superimposed. The superimposed does not affect the substratum, the Lord.

Topic 6 : Nature of the Illusion ( Sloka 13)
The mind is held, deluded because of the three Gunas of Maya.

Topic 7: Method to cross the illusion (Sloka 14)
Seek recourse to Me, you will be free of the illusion. Keep all the ideas related to God and focus on God.

Topic 8 : The Lord describes the four type of devotees who do not reach Him, as they are deluded by Maya. (Sloka 15)

Topic 9 : Topic of bhagavat bhakta, the nature of the devotees of the Lord ( Sloka 16-23).
The Lord describes the four type of devotees, and why the jnani is the dearest to the Lord. (Sloka 16-19)
What makes the arthathi and arthi noble, though they seek wealth and so on (Sloka 20-23)

Topic 10: The Lord's nature is not seen by the ignorant ( Sloka 24-26)

Topic 11 : Nature of Devotion, bhagavat bhakti (Sloka 27,28)

Topic 12 : Conclusion and the seed for Chapter 8 (Sloka 29,30)

So we find that the Lord has answered all the three factors that might have come from the concluding verse of Chapter 6.

(1) Nature of the Lord - Sloka 4- Sloka 12
(2) Nature of devotees - Sloka 16 - Sloka 23
(3) Natue of Devotion - Sloka 27, 28

Postby madan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Hari Om
Summary of 7th Chapter

The last verse of 6th chapter is the seed of this chapter.It has three points:
1, Mam- Nature of Me(God)
2, Bhajate- Nature of Bhakti(devotion)
3,Madgatenantratma- Nature of Bhakta(devotee)
I am going to summarize this chapter verse by verse.
In verse 1, God says, O Arjuna, the way you will Know Me without any doubt and surely in full that you listen. For that you need to fix your mind in Me having deep love for Me. Thus, God has described the ingredients of the Adhikari to have this Knowledge.
In verse 2, He says, this Knowledge about Me is as per the scriptures as also you can experience it, Knowing which there remains nothing to be Known again.
IN verse 3,He says, among limitless people a rare one makes efforts for liberation-strives for to develop vivek, vairagya, etc, and among them one comes to Know My true, this Knowledge is very rare.This God has said to kindle interest in Arjun.
Verse 4,5,6 and 7, God says, I have two Prakriti (aspects), one is Apara which is eight fold and each one is different, it is inferior and inert. The other one is Para which is superior and sentient and holds the entire universe. These two are the source of entire creation. I, pure consciousness, am cause of birth,dissolution,and sustainance.therefore, there is nothing other than Me and nothing is greater than Me.Entire universe is woven in Me like the beads are woven in thread. I am hidden like the thread is.And the people do not see Me.
God has shown special manifestation of Himself in verses 9 to 12.He says, I am the essence in the things.A thing is thing because of My presence in that thing. For example, water is water because of its taste. I am taste in water,brilliant effulgence in Sun and Moon,manliess in men,intelligence in wise, strength in strong,etc,.all the substances and their properties born of sattva,rajas and tamas gunas have sprung from Me.But I am not in them they are in Me. I am not in their changes.
People are carried away by the substances and their properties and,therefore, do not Know Me, who is higher and undecaying.(13)
My Maya which is divine and exists in Me is difficult to cross over,but those who surrender to me,worship Me,they can destroy this Maya(14).
But then why people do not worship You? To this He says;Duskritinah,evil doers,who are; foolish,people of inferior category,those whose Knowledge has been taken away by Maya,people of demoniacal nature do not worship Me(15). On the other hand,people of virtuous deeds,who are of four kinds:the afflicted,seeker of Knowledge,seeker of wealth and the man of Knowledge,worship Me(16).Of them the man of Knowledge is special because he is ever united with Me and has single pointed devotion to view of this I am extremely dear to him and he is dear to Me(17).
All of them are good because they have come to Me for the fullfillment of their desires.But jnani,man of Knowledge,is My Self as he ever remains united with Me After many births the man of Knowledge worships Me and realises that Vasudev,the pure consciousness,is every where. Such a person is big Self. He is rare to be seen(18,19).
But then why people do not realize You as Self. To this He says: Guided by their Vasanas, impressions generated in earlier lives and in this life,they in order to fulfill their trifling desires of various objectives worship with faith smaller deities, following relevant methods, And I make their faith stable towards that particular deity to whom they want to worship with faith.He then with the faith worships that deity and I disperse the fruit through that deity.But the fruit of worship to smaller deity is limited where as the fruit of My worship is unlimited because I am unlimited.The worshipers of Devatas get Deva Loka whereas My devotees get Me(20 to 23).
But when the devotion to God gives best result,why people worship gods? To this He says:
The people who do not have right understanding,they think of Me that earlier I was unmanifest and now I have taken birth like any other person. It is because of this they do not Know My higher nature which is unsurpassabe and immutable.Further, veiled by My Yog Maya which is My Will I do not come in front of every body,so the deluded persons do not Know My true nature that I am unborn and undecaying Since My yog-maya belongs to Me and is under My control,it does not obstruct My Knowledge, therefore, I Know the persons that have gone by,that are present now and that are going to come.But no body,except My devotee,knows Me.All beings are deluded by the joy and sorrows of their life occasioned by their likes and dislikes which is there since birth.But those whose sins have come to an end by their virtuous deeds,they becoming free from delusion of joy and sorrow,with firm vow worship Me(24 to 28)
Those who have taken refuge in Me strive by developing discrimination and dispassion for the liberation from old age and death,they Know That Brahman(indicated by tat pad in tattvamasi mahavakya), individual Self and all actions(29)
Finally in verse 30,He says;
Those persons who Know Me along with adhibhut,adhidaiv,adhiyagy even at the time of death when they have no control over body and mind,they, who have absorbed their mind in Me, Know Me.

Postby nikhil1707 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Lord Krsna explained that he is orgin and end of the whole universe and from changeable lower nature to unchangeable higher nature.
In the begining and end he only exists.Those who are in th delusion of three modes of nature cannot know the fourteenth verse, He explained that His wondeful illusion, is extremely difficult to surmount.
In th Fifteenth verse he old that evil doers can't take refuge in Him.In the sixteenth chapter He mentioned the four types of virtous men,who can take refuge in him.
In verse 7/20- 23 he mentioned the second type of people who regard him as a common man worship, other gods in order to satisfy the desires.
In the twenty fifth, he explained that he does not manifest to those who regard him as a ordinary man.
His knowledge is not shown to those people who do not known Him and explained thisin the twenthy six verse.Why the peopled donot know him because of the attachment and aversion in the verse 7/27.
Those people who are freed from delusion in the shape of pairs of opposires and worship is explained in verse 28.
The Verse 29 and 30 explains that the people who takes refuge in Him and striving to known Him and his entire form attains him

Postby lakssg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:51 am

Summary of 7th Chapter

In this chapter there is a detailed description of supreme knowledge whereby one can reach lord – under 3 headings of of Bagavad Tathva, Bagavad bakthi and Bagavad bhaktha .As long as one is in the realm of duality -ignorant – he is not aware of real nature of The Lord and he considers even The Lord to be a normal being taking birth due to Prarabhda . They never worship the Lord , but for their desire satisfaction they worship the lower deities .
In order to lift oneself to the position of a bhaktha one should have knowledge of of bagavad tathva obtained through bhakthi.
Bhagavad tathva < nature of The Lord>
- 1. “brahma satyam jagan mithya “- advaitha darshana . Understanding the Lord to be the prabava, pralaya sthana and to be the sthithi karana.
2. The Lord gives both jnana and vijnana- Intellectual understanding of this tathva is jnana and practically experiencing it is called vijnana. The vibuthi lakshna explained by the Lord helps one to shift from gross to subtle.
3.Lord being sarvajna and sarveswara he is not affected by maya.

Bagavad bhaktha (Nature of a devotee)
- After describing types of people who cannot reach him being under the influence of maya, and tossed between the pairs of opposites like sukha and dukha the Lord describes sukrithina- one with good karmas done in the previous births and the present one qualify to be a bhaktha. A bhaktha is one who has a firm resolve – I want only God. Although all bhakthas are dear to him out of the 4 types aarta, artharthi, jignasu and jnani, the jnani is superior - says The Lord.

Bagvad bhakthi (nature of devotion)
- by being devoted to lord, by taking refuge in lord and meditating on bagavad tathva and by chitha suddi and chitha ekagratha see lord every where.”vasudeva Sarvamithi”. This firm abidance in lord is the supreme devotion whereby one becomes contented and fearless.

Postby Arvind » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:09 am

Hari Om ,

Thank you everyone for the wonderful summary of this Chapter 7.

We now proceed to Chapter 8, a new forum topic is being created for it.

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum