Gita - Chapter 9

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita - Chapter 9

Postby Arvind » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Sloka 32
मां हि पार्थ व्यपाश्रित्य येऽपि स्यु पापयोनयः ।
स्त्रियो वैश्यास्तथा शूद्रास्तेऽपि यान्ति परां गतिम्‌ ॥

For, taking refuge in Me, they also, who O Partha, may be of "sinful birth" - women, Vaisya as well as Sudras - even they attain the Supreme Goal.

Here पापयोनयः means sinful births caused because of previous karma. पापयोनयः also because their ability to protect themselves is lower
Now what is पाप (sin)? That which protects our sin is called पाप. In the absolute sense it is ignorance that is पाप because it covers the Truth and limits and restricts our knowledge. How does it manifest, this पाप- as attachments, likes and dislikes.

If we understand this meaning of पाप then we can understand what the Lord is saying here and why he says or points three categories in पाप. They are not physical attributes merely being said, but the mental climate which the Lord is talking, for it is the mental climate that is the obstacle for removing ignorance.

स्त्रियो - refers to emotional mental states. Anyone with such an extreme mental state, be it a man or woman is a Stri. And in path of knowledge this is a big obstacle, one needs to be objective. Emotion create attachment which strengthens ignorance.

Similarly those who have a "commercial attitude" in all their actions and thoughts are "Vaisyas". Such a mind cannot again tread the path of Jnana.

Lastly mental attitude of "slumber" and "sloth" are indicated as "Sudra".

Or the other way of looking at it is in path of devotion all are welcome. Unlike the path of Jnana no such restrictions are needed. The only condition is all their emotions must be directed towards the Lord. Thereby the Lord is in this Verse glorifying the path of Devotion.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Through these Verses the Lord explains how the path of devotion is superior because it benefits many. By devotion not only virtuous devotees but the not so good - wicked ,and those who are borne of papa yonis ( those whose mind is not tuned to pursue a higher path like vaisya, sudra and women can reach the Lord.

Verse 30
Is this path leading to self only for the good? What about those wicked people who are not good especially those who suddenly transform and turn towards the Lord? Will the Lord accept them?
Wicked are those who have done so many papas which cannot be washed away even by prayaschitha karmas prescribed in the Srutis . When this person starts worshipping the Lord what is his fate? It depends on the worship. By undivided love if one worships and surrenders unto the Lord then regardless of sins he is accepted by the Lord as a pure person. All his sins are washed away by the ananya bhakthi. Of corse this turning point occurs due to grace of the Lord and contact with Sadguru. How a highway robber Ratnakar became sage Valmiki by contact with Narada Rishii is an example for this.

Verse 31
This wicked person who has embraced the Lord very soon is freed of all papas and becomes a pure hearted person –devotion has purified him. He becomes a dharmatma means he is now ready for the Infinite experience. Through jnana and higher pursuit he attains eternal peace.
The Lord emphatically tells “Arjuna you declare fearlessly and proudly in loud voice - the Lord's devotee will never perish". What the lord want to covey through Arjuna is once the Absolute Truth is known there is no question of degradation for the Lord's devotee. He will face life with enthusiasm and for him all challenges becomes an opportunity to serve the Lord of his heart. He fearlessly reaches the Supreme Abode.

Verse 32
Whoever surrenders to the Lord totally will attain the Supreme Goal -one may be of a sinful birth like women, vysya or sudra. Sinful birth denotes victims of maladjustments both in the mental and intellectual level which makes higher pursuit a difficult task. But due to devotion their inner equipments are tuned leading to purification and constant rememberence of the lord this makes them fit for a higher pursuit.
Women means anybody with a temperament of extreme attachment , possessiveness and lack of objectivity which makes spiritual pursuit difficult. By devotion the same attachment can be directed towards the Lord.
Vysya means one whose mind is ever engaged in calculating loss and profit of all day to day activities which is not fit for higher journey. But devotion changes him also.
Sudra – indicates one who does work with hands and legs and do not use his intellect .Without a discriminative intellect one cannot go forward in jnana marga. Through devotion such a person can also reach the Lord.
lakssg

Postby Schandra » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 am

Hari Om

Shloka 30 and 31

Lord Krishna goes on to expound the glory of Bhakti or devotion with this shloka. He goes on to say that it is the easiest way to reach Him since even someone of wrong conduct can attain Him with single minded devotion and can be considered a saint. It is also considered an easy path since there is no prerequisites needed such as fortune,special intellectual capacity,lineage etc. The only thing required is the devotee's total devotion and resolve to attain The Lord. This certainly gives hope to the people at large as it could otherwise be misunderstood that only the "good" attained liberation and the "bad" are condemned. This shloka provides the incentive for those of wrong conduct to strive for liberation as well by devoting themselves totally to Him and purifying themselves in the process.

This devotee who was leading a sinful or wrongful life, through unwavering devotion and resolve can become one with The Lord. By doing so, the devotee finds eternal happiness,peace and bliss and can therefore never perish.
Schandra

Postby Schandra » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:39 am

Shloka 32

The Lord goes on to elaborate on to elaborate on the different kinds of people who have had a sinful origin and that even they can reach Him. However,it must be clearly understood that The Lord does not exhibit any derogatory feelings towards women or certain castes but only refers to the characteristics depicted by them. The tendency to be attached to the family, children, home and be highly emotional ,He refers to as 'woman'. This could be either gender but it only refers to someone with these tendencies. Similarly a Vaisya depicts a person with a strong bond towards commercial interests. Lastly, the Shudra depicts a person who is lazy and refrains from performing his duties.

Despite these qualities or attributes, these people can still be one with Him through unflinching resolve and steadfast devotion.
Schandra

Postby Arvind » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 am

Hari Om to all,

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on Slokas 30,31 and 32.

Now let us see the last two Slokas of this Chapter, Slokas 33 and 34.

Sloka and Word Meaning : Arvind
HGRR References: Kishan
Reflections and Thoughts : Everyone.

Pranaams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 am

Sloka 33
किं पुनर्ब्राह्मणाः पुण्या भक्ता राजर्षयस्तथा ।
अनित्यमसुखं लोकमिमं प्राप्य भजस्व माम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
किं पुनर्ब्राह्मणाः = How much more (easily) the Brahmanas
पुण्या = the holy
भक्ता = devoted
राजर्षयस्तथा = the royal saints also (attain the goal)
अनित्यम = impermanent
असुखं = unhappy
लोकमिमं = the worlds
प्राप्य = having attained
भजस्व माम्‌ = worship Me

Full Sloka Meaning:
How much more (easily) then the holy Brahmanas and devoted royal saints (attain the goal) ! Having reached (obtained) this impermanent and joyless world, do worship Me (devoutly).

Sloka 34
मन्मना भव मद्भक्तो मद्याजी मां नमस्कुरु ।
मामेवैष्यसि युक्त्वैवमात्मानं मत्परायण:

Word to Word Meaning:
मन्मना भव = With the mind filled with Me
मद्भक्तो = (be) my devotee
मद्याजी = sacrificing
मां = to (or for) Me
नमस्कुरु = bow down
मामेवैष्यसि = to Me alone you shall come
युक्त्वैवमात्मानं = having thus united the Self
मत्परायण: = taking Me as the Supreme Goal

Full Sloka Meaning:
Fix your mind on Me; be devoted to Me; sacrifice unto Me, bow down to Me; having thus united your (whole) Self with Me, taking Me as the Supreme Goal, you shall come to Me.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby murugans61 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am

Hari OM

In the last part of this chapter, Lord Krishna glorifies Bhakti. The greatness of Bhakti is that even those who are not qualified for self knowledge because of their past sins,weakness,extrovertedness or dullness can take to Bhakti and achieve the goal.

Thus, Bhakti is universal. The devotee will never perish. He will get a guru and learn the scriptures and Self Knowledge.

In conclusion, Lord Krishna sums up the pursuit of Bhakti thus - " Fix your mind on Me; be My devotee; keep Me as your goal; be My worshipper;surrender to Me. Thus fixing the mind, you will attain Me alone who am the Self."

Pranams
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:04 am

HARI OM

VERSE-33

When it known that even the lowest born who surrender wholly to Lord are completely redeemed
and attain the supreme Lord by bhakti or loving devotation then it is clear that those devotees
of Lord of noble birth and righteous conduct without question attain the Lord.Brahmins,Vaishnavas,Kshatrias,warrior class, kings, sudras, all can attain the Lord through loving devotion or bhakti.

Therefore having been blessed to receive a human body use this opportunity fully to accept a bonafide spiritual precepter in authorized disciplic succession and propitiate the Lord with loving devotion without delay.Having taking birth in this temporary,impermanent,transient and ephemeral material existance one should utilise their time wisely, efficiently evolving themselves with spiritual knowledge under the guidance of a Guru engaging in Krishna bhakti.

VERSE-34
This Verse concludes by revealing the pure simplistic way of worshipping the Lord by the words man-manah focus one's Consciousness on the Lord , madbhakto be the Lord's devotee, madyaji give propitiation and worship to Lord, mam namaskuru offer humble obeisances to Lord exclusively.
By this direct and easy to perform activities, one will attain eternal life in the spiritual worlds in association with Him . Thus in this chapter entitled confidential knowledge of ultimate truth ,Lord has revealed some of His transcendental glories and the phenomenal greatness of bhakti or loving devotion.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 am

Sloka 33
किं पुनर्ब्राह्मणाः पुण्या भक्ता राजर्षयस्तथा ।
अनित्यमसुखं लोकमिमं प्राप्य भजस्व माम्‌ ॥

The Lord had spoken about how Sudras, Vaisyas and women can easily attain the Lord by devotion.
If they can also attain, then it is even much easier for the Brahmanas and Rajarishis (denoting Kshatriyas).

Again here it is not a mere physical birth indicated. Brahmana means one whose mind is predominantly Sattva. Kshatriya means one whose mind is predominantly Rajas with equal amount of Sattva. Because of these mental temperaments the Lord says attaining Him is easier compared to others (Sudras, Vaisyas etc), where Rajas and Tamas predominates with Sattva in lesser proportions. If they can attain the Lord by devotion, needless to say of the Brahmanas. This is the idea.

In the second line the Lord says why one must attain the Lord. The Lord alone is eternal, blissful and that is what we seek. The world is on the other hand ridden with sorrow and is impermanent. Having attained this world, and that too having attained a human body the only goal of life must be to attain the Lord. This is the idea.

Hari Om.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 am

Sloka 34
मन्मना भव मद्भक्तो मद्याजी मां नमस्कुरु ।
मामेवैष्यसि युक्त्वैवमात्मानं मत्परायण

How should this devotion to the Lord be practiced?

मन्मना भव = Be form in resolution (all your sankalpa should be to attain the Lord)
मद्भक्तो = Become my devotee - may I become the object of your love.
मद्याजी = Sacrifice unto Me, how to worship Me. Physically offer, worship all actions and surrender all actions and its results for Me. Do all actions for Me and not for your individual desires.
मां नमस्कुरु = Prostrate unto Me. What is meant is surrender your ego. Give your ego centric attitude in performing actions.
मत्परायण = Give value , respect to attain this goal. Nothing else in life should be Higher. Meaning keep me as the highest goal , pedestal or preference. One may have other goals in life, but all of those must be only to attain Me. All other goals are contradictory for our purpose in life.
युक्त्वैवमात्मानं = Be united to Me in all your endeavors and not just the morning and evening worships or worship in a temple. Meaning the whole being of a man should be surrendered to the Lord without reservation. Then the whole life will under a wonderful transformation. All sorrows and pains will vanish. The mind will be one with divine Consciousness.

If we do that then मामेवैष्यसि, you will attain Me alone. Just as the pot space becomes one with Total space when the pot is broken, the individual Consciousness becomes one with the Lord when the ego is broken.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 am

Verse 33
" When even people with mental temperaments not conducive for a higher pursuit like women, sudra and vaisyas can reach the Lord through devotion by making use of some defects in their personality how natural and easy it will be for Brahmana and Rajarshis" . The Lord encourages not only Arjuna but all sadhaks. Here these terms denotes mind and intellect which is tuned up for devotion due to predominance of Sattva with some Rajas and less of Tamas. Brahmana is one who is inherently Sattvik with qualities like sama,dama and chitha suddhi to some extent. Rajarshi is a king with spiritual inclinations and naturally devoted to the Lord -karma yogis

The Lord again points out the benefit of devotion . The world we live is finite and riddled with sorrows and our ultimate goal is the abode which is infinite and is of the nature of bliss. Being in this world which is anithyam and asukam do not waste time in hunting for objects and beings . Time is staring at you and may swallow you at any moment. So turn your mind inwards and be devoted to Me. This manushya loka is the best place for sadhana -all other lokas are for bhoga .

Verse 34
The Lord now reiterates the technique of self perfection which can be accomplished by continous thinking,reflection and contemplation on supreme. The path one chooses may be different as per the mental temperaments but goal is the same.
Manmana -Let your mind be single pointed and filled with me by swadyaya and meditation - jnana yoga
Madbhaktha- Cultivate devotion unto the Lord – bhakthi yoga
Madyaji- Physical worship- poojas, decoration of lord,preparation of Prasad and gradually offer all actions and its results to the Lord- karmayoga
Mam namaskuru- Do prostration. Not much efforts involved but gradually he will surrender himself to the Lord .
Whatever be the path being totally devoted with understanding that the Lord alone is the final goal.
lakssg

Postby Schandra » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 am

Hari Om

Shloka 33

When even people born with disadvantages such as women,vaishyas and shudras can reach The Lord through Bhakti, it is but obvious that the Brahmanas and Kshatryias( the swabhava )who have more of the satvik state of mind will surely reach The Lord through Bhakti.

The Lord goes on to say that the world we live in has two major setbacks,namely impermanence and lack of joy. We wrongly think that materialistic success is permanent and gives us lasting joy only to realize soon enough that they don't. The only thing that gives us lasting joy and permanence is the single minded pursuit which He talks about in the next and concluding shloka of this chapter.

Shloka 34

The Lord points out to us the direction in which we can find permanence and ever lasting joy- by making Him our only goal in life. By doing so, one automatically, in gradual steps, will start by thinking of Him, perform actions for Him and learn to surrender the results of these actions to Him as well thereby conditioning oneself to realize Him.
Schandra

Postby Arvind » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:46 am

Hari Om,

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful reflections on these Slokas of Chapter 9.

Before proceeding to Chapter 10, let us pause and summarize this Chapter. Though we have
seen the Slokas independently when we summarize the whole chapter it will help us consolidate
the thoughts and help us understand the chapter holistically.

There are several ways to look at it. You can either summarize by Sloka, or give thought flow
or just list out the concepts covered. I leave it to to the members to reflect and come with their
best ways of summarizing the chapter.

So everyone please post the summary for this Chapter. Once that is done we proceed to Chapter 10.

Pranaams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby nikhil1707 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:46 am

Sloka 33

In describing the glory of devotion, Shri Krishna highlighted three types of people. The worst kind of person is a sinner, who has such a high level of attachment to the material world that he is ready to harm others. A better type of person is a sinner who has a lower level of attachment to the material world such as a businessperson. Better than that person is someone like a sage who has the lowest level of attachment, which means that highest level of detachment or vairagya. It does not matter which kind of person wants to become a devotee. Everyone is eligible.

Shri Krishna also explains the reason for seeking the path of devotion. He says that the world in which we live in has two main defects. It is anityam or impermanent, and it is asukham or devoid of joy. We usually rush into worldly pursuits such as money, positions, wealth, fame, titles and so on. None of those are permanent or will give long-lasting happiness. We sometimes think that others who possess these things are happier than we are, but that is not true. Impermanence and sorrow is the nature of this world.
nikhil1707

Postby nikhil1707 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:50 am

Sloka 34

Shri Krishna concludes the ninth chapter with a “take home message”. He gives us specific, tangible and practical instructions to bring the teachings of this chapter into our life. Having declared that this world is impermanent and devoid of joy, he wants us to follow a new way of life that orients us towards Ishvara and away from the world.

Let’s look at the most important instruction first. Shri Krishna wants us to make Ishvara as our sole goal in life. How does this work in practice? If for instance, we are ready to go to college, it should be in line with our svadharma so that we get skilled in performing our work. If we want to get married, it should be with the intention of serving our family and our parents. Any time we serve someone else, we are serving Ishvara.

Now once this goal is set, everything else falls into place. Shri Krishna wants us to keep on contemplating Ishvara and perform all our actions for Ishvara. The more we do this, the more will our ego get subdued, and this is how we will convert ourselves into a true devotee. We may encounter people and situations that are unpleasant, disagreeable and not to our liking. Even in the midst of this we should bow down and surrender to Ishvara, knowing that it is our past actions that are manifesting as unpleasant but temporary situations.

What is the end result? If we are ever engaged with Ishvara throughout our lives, if we make Ishvara our goal and refuge, we will certainly attain him. This attainment is explained in the sixth chapter as “Yo maam pashyati sarvatra sarvam cha mayi pashyati”. We will not view the world as different from us. We will see Ishvara in all, and all in Ishavara.
nikhil1707

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:21 am

HARI OM

In this chapter nine, "the yoga of sovereign science and the sovereign secret" the Lord explains the theory of self perfection perfection and the intellectual science behind it all.Lord imparts to Arjuna
the knowledge of both the absolute and the embodied aspects of divinity and sings the glory of that knowledge.
When we are in love with somebody ,we cannot see the fault in him. The emotion of jealousy makes us to see the faults. Finding fault in others goodness is jealousy.To see the self it is essential
that the mind should be free from jealousy. Knowledge of the self is the secrets of all secrets and it is the king of all knowledge.It is the most pure and can be experienced.This knowledge with in the Dharma
is easy to practice.It can never be destroyed. God who has no form or body is spread everywhere in this universe.All beings rest on him. But He is not present in them .He is only a witness. We need this
nature in us too.All the emotions are in us. But we should not be in them.when one is not listening to these dharmas he is forced to take birth again and again. Enlightment is the way to knowledge.
The time when the enlightment soul goes is uttarayana.The time when the ignorant, who sees I am the body goes it is dakshinayana.When the mind goes after desires they are forced to bind with the world

and are subjected to the influence of their own nature. The enlighted souls will be freed from the bonds of karma in the shape of good and evil consequences.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

Summary of Chapter 9

Bhagavan had in Chapter 8 talked about saguna bhakti.
In Chapter 9 the Lord moves to nirguna as well, stating that he can be reached by nirguna bhakti as well , or saguna bhakti matures itself into nirguna.
This is how the 9th Chapter is linked to the 8th Chapter.

That having said there are three main aspects covered in this Chapter.
(1) The knowledge of nirguna Bhagavan
(2) The nature of the Devotee
(3) The nature of Devotion
Though no clear distinction of points (2) and (3) can be made, the line is very thin, for a devotee and devotion go together.
Other aspects of this Chapter are only extensions of these topics.

The Chapter begins with praise of Knowledge. Now let us see how the above three points are encapsulated in this Chapter.
Topic 1: Knowledge of Brahman.
Sub topic : Knowledge of nirguna Brahman = Slokas 4,5. The "relation-less relationship" between the Lord and the world.
Sub topic : Knowledge of Saguna as his vibhutis
Slokas 6 -10. The Lord himself expresses as the world. He is the controller, supervisor but yet remains unattached.
Slokas 16-19 : The Lord's vibhuti as upasana
Sloka 29 : The Lord is the same to all, but the one who realizes this identity has merged in Him with no distinction.

Topic 2: The Nature of the Devotee
Sloka 3: The nature of one who is not a devotee is said, so positively we must take the qualities of the devotee
Sloka 11, 12 : The qualities of the deluded and their way of living is said, so the reverse is the nature of the devotee
Slokas 13,14,15 : The qualities of a devotee is asserted positively.
Slokas 23- 25 : All are seeking the Lord only, the others who worship other Gods also actually seek Him only but by the wrong method.

Topic 3 : Nature of Devotion
Sloka 22 : The nature of ananya bhakti (single pointed devotion) and its result promised by the Lord.
Sloka 26 : Simplicity of devotion , the Lord accepts leaf, a fruit or even water. It is not things that make devotion but the devotion per say.
Sloka 27, 28 : All actions, yajnas and whole life must be divinized. The result is one is freed from the fetters of karma
Sloka 31- 33 : Ease of devotion. Women, Vaisyas, Sudras all have reached. Then it must be much more simpler for Brahmanas. The path of devotion is open to all. Once one has resolved to practice devotion, he reaches the Lord.
Sloka 34: One must merge the mind in the Lord, be devoted to Him, sacrifice and prostrate to Him, having thus making the mind God-centric one reaches Him.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Summary
The 9 TH CHAPTER COVERS
1. Brahma Tatwa Jnana - the goal
2. Detailed description of various aspects of devotion as a means to reach the goal
3.nature of Devotee .
It is aptly called Raja vidya and Raja guhya by lord considering the subtle nature of the knowledge and importance of tuning up of inner equipments to receive the same.
Brahma tatwa jnana
The essence of the self knowledge is
Ekam Evam adviditiyam brahma – Brahman alone is .
Neha nanasthi kinchana- apart from lord nothing is there . world we perceive is only an appearance
The above is true as far as the chaithanya aspect of lord is concerned. But what about this manifested world. Lord explains this through the concept of prakrithi. power of lord perceived in the creation , sustenance and dissolution aspect. Everything comes from and is done by prakrithi who is brahmasraya so what is lords role in this creation-in his presence only everything happens.
Asangoyam ayam purushaha- lord is unattached and (as though)indifferent).but his presence can be felt everywhere
How to feel presence of lord-lord is the essence behind all phenomenal objects and happenings in this world .His presence can be felt everywhere and in all beings

Devotion
As means to reach lord – Devotion is the noblest means being easily available which can be followed by majority.
Who can pursue path of devotion – it is easy for a person with satwic qualities /purified mind and intellect to reach lord. But even people like vaisya, sudra and women and those who have committed sins in the past can reach him by devotion. lord accepts all when one approaches him with single pointed devotion.
The fate of those who do not understand the true nature of self- living a sensuous life of vain knowledge and vain actions they are never freed of samsara.
How to worship lord- no eloberate rituals are required.if one offers with love anything easily available whether it be a flower, leaf or water he is pleased. One can even offer whatever daily actions he does ,whatever he eats or anything he does.
Even though lord is impartial –neither hates nor love anyone – spiritual strength gets reflected in those who worship him
Devotee-one whose heart is filled with love for lord – prema bhkatha and one who follows the path of knowledge- jnani bhaktha.
What is the result of worship
1.Lord takes care of those who worship him with a mind bereft of all other thoughts . he will take care of the requirements and welfare of such adevotee
2.Lord promises that his devotees will never perish
3 .one attains liberation and is freed from this samsara which is anithyam and asukham.
lakssg

Postby murugans61 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:03 am

Summary of Chapter 9

Since this chapter deals with the knowledge of God which is the greatest (rajavidya) and the rarest (rajaguhya), it is titled as Rajavidya rajaguhya yoga.

In the first three verses, Lord Krishna introduces the topic, its glory and the qualifications needed for its pursuit. The topic is the knowledge of God in both the saguna and the nirguna forms ( jnana and vijnana). It is the most secret and sacred knowledge which releases one from bondage. It is the easiest to pursue and immediate in giving results. The seeker should have faith in the teacher and the teaching if the pursuit should be fruitful.

In the next three verses, the Lord reveals His true nature. He pervades the entire universe. Still , He is not related to anything. In fact there is no universe other than God. Yet, it appears because of His maya. He is ever non –dual and relationless like space.

Then Krishna comes down and redefines Himself accepting the universe. He is the basis for the origin, existence , and dissolution of the entire universe. ( jagat karanam). Blessed by God, His prakrti which is inseparable from Him, keeps the cycle of creation going. Though the Lord’s presence is inevitable for all these phenomena, He is not involved in any one of them as doer or enjoyer. He is akarta and abhokta.

In the 11th verse, Krishna talks about the cause of bondage. Because of the fundamental ignorance , no one knows the nature of God. Consequently, He is mistaken for a human being with birth, form etc. Thus it is due to ignorance and the consequent delusion regarding the nature of God and oneself that one gets bound.
Though ignorance is universal, many do not accept the fact. Hence they never attempt to get rid of it. Believeing neither in the scriptures nor in the established traditions, these atheists take to evil ways as directed by their instincts and waste their precious life.

On the other hand, there are some noble people who clearly recognize their bondage and worship the Lord, seeking Him alone to get out of the bondage. Krishna points out that various devotees worship Him in manifold ways. Some worship God as identical with themselves, some as different from themselves and some as everything. In this context, the Lord describes His cosmic form, i.e visvatomukhatvam.

In the next three verses, Bhagavan talks about two types of devotees- those who seek various finite ends through Him ( sakama bhaktas) and those who seek the infinite God only ( nishkama-bhaktas). The Lord points out that the worship for finite ends will be definitely fruitful. But , being finite they cannot last long. Even the attainment of heavens is finite only. A nishkama bhakta worships God seeking nothing else. The Lord promises to take care of even the worldly well-bing of such a bhakta because he has renounced all his worldly pursuits.

From verse 23 to 29, the Lord stresses the point that whether one should continue in samsara ( bondage) or attain moksha ( liberation) is one’s own choice ( purushartha). When people seek finite goals through worship of other deities , they are invoking the finite aspects of that one infinite God alone. All their prayers go to that one God only. But the result is still finite because they invoke and seek the finite only. The amount of water we can fetch from the ocean depends on what vessel we take. Thus they miss the infinite due to ignorance. Though the Lord is capable of giving everything, He can give only what the devotee is willing to receive. Hence the Lord says that one gets what one seeks. What type of worship must one do to attain the infinite? Bhagavan says that the worship is the simplest for the niskama bhakta. He can offer anything. The attitude is important. Even if that is not possible, one should convert every action into worship by mentally offering it at the feet of the Lord. Such a bhakta is a karma yogi , because he continues to act with equanimity, as well as a sannyasi , because he renounces the concern for results. He becomes purified and liberated soon by getting the teaching of the scriptures through a guru. Lord is available to all and it si for us to claim Him or not.

In the last five verses, Lord Krishna glorifies bahkti. The greatness of bhakti is that even those who are not qualified for self knowledge because of their past sins, weakness, extrovertedness or dullness can take to bahkti and achieve the goal. Thus bhakti is universal. The devotee will never perish. In conclusion, Krishna sums up the pursuit of bhakti thus – Fix your mind on Me, be My devotee, keep Me as your goal, be My worshipper, surrender to to Me. Thus fixing the mind, you will attain Me alone who am the Self. As explained by Swami Paramarthanandaji, The Self Konwledge by the study of scriptures under a guru alone can lead one directly to liberation.

pranams
murugans61

Postby nikhil1707 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am

In the previous chapter, Shri Krishna described the endless cycle of creation and dissolution of the universe, and how all beings are stuck in that cycle. In this chapter, he began to reveal an extremely profound and secret knowledge to Arjuna that would allow him to escape this endless cycle. That knowledge is devotion or bhakti towards Ishvara. It is the easiest means of obtaining liberation, easier than than performing rituals or penance or renouncing the world.

What is this knowledge? Ishvara is the ultimate cause of the universe. Everything is sustained by Ishvara. Everything is in Ishvara, like the wind is in space. We are not able to see Ishvara because our senses are preconditioned to only perceive names and forms, just like we see a blue sky where there is no real blue colour.

Ishvara becomes the ultimate cause of the universe through his power known as Prakriti. Through this power, he creates the world of names and forms, sustains them and eventually dissolves them. Prakriti is nothing but the three gunas. It is a fully automatic system that delivers results to individuals based on their actions. Most people are stuck in this system and cannot get out because they are bound by selfish actions, they are too attached. Ishvara is an observer of this system. he does not get bound by Prakriti because he is unattached.

In order to free ourselves from the entrapment in Prakriti, we have to change our conditioning and rid ourselves of all misconceptions regarding Ishvara. The first misconception : Ishvara is finite human entity. The second misconception : I am body, mind, intellect.Third misconception: worship of finite deities will give infinite and permanent results. One by one, each of these misconceptions is clarified.

The easiest way to dispel all these misconceptions is to worship Ishvara, to follow the path of bhakti. There are several ways to bring this into our daily life. We can constantly meditate upon Ishvara as the cause of everything. This is known as “jnyaana yagnya”. We can perform actions in service of Ishvara. We can begin to see Ishvara in objects, people and situations through pointers. Shri Krishna provides several pointers. For instance, we can learn to see Ishvara in our parents, our grandparents, in the weather cycle and so on.

Next, Shri Krishna describes two kinds of devotees. The sakaama or desire-oriented devotee performs rituals so that he can attain heaven after his death, but ultimately comes back to earth after his merits are exhausted. The nishkaama or desire-less devotee only wants Ishvara. In an oft-quoted shloka, Shri Krishna says that Ishvara always takes care of desire-less devotees by giving them what they need at the right point in their lives including food, shelter, wealth, knowledge and a teacher.

We also learn that Ishvara does not expect big offerings when we worship him. In fact, he is happy with simple things like water, leaf, fruit or flowers. We can also offer our work and action to him when we serve others. What he wants the most is the feeling of devotion when we make the offering. Ishvara is impartial like the sun and rain, and will reward us based on our faith and effort.

The glory of devotion is that it is accessible to everybody, from sinners to people of great worldly attachment all the way to sages. Everyone can worship at any point in their lives. There is no qualification to begin the path of devotion.

Shri Krishna ends this chapter with an actionable message. He says “Keep your mind in me, become my devotee, perform actions for me, surrender to me.” This is the instruction for devotion towards Ishvara.
nikhil1707

PreviousNext

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum