Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Postby nikhil1707 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Sloka 25
Lord Krishna reveals that of the holy sages His vibhuti is Bhrigu. The word giram means articulate sound vibrations of these Lord Krishna's vibhuti is the all powerful monosyllable OM.Om is the method to achieve liberation and among the immobile objects in the world, the Himalayas are the most prominent manifestation of Ishvara.
nikhil1707

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 am

Sloka 28

Among the weapons I am Vajra. Indra uses this weapon to kill all the evil forces. So the meaning is if we have any weapon we must use it to destroy the animal forces in us. Moreover the Vajra was made from Dadichi bones. Dadichi performed lot of tapas - practiced austerity that was rye power. By austerity we can also get power and become like Vajra and destroy all evil. Bhagavan says I am the power behind the Vajra.

Among the cows I am the Kamadhuk. In cows there are many breeds. Kamadhuk is a wish fulfilling tree. Bhagavan says I am the cow- have a good wish and serve the society.

I am Kama Deva- the God of lust. The purpose of sexual urge is for procreation only. Bhagavan says I am that form of Kama.

I am Vasuki among the serpents. Vasuki served the purpose of the rope during the churning of the nectar, inspite of all the pain he could withstand it. It was because of Bhagavan he could withstand the pain. So the Lord speaks of the serpent as his divine glory.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:24 am

Sloka 29
Of the Nagas I am "Ananta". Sesh naga is the 1000 hooded serpent where Bhagavan rests. Bhagavan says I am the substratum on which the creation, sustenance and dissolution happen.
Also Sesha Naga incarnates and serves the Lord- as Lakshmana and Balarama in different Avataras. So he is always serving Bhagavan.
Ananta Naga is carrying the load of the whole earth. We must also serve the Lord like that. So the Lord speaks of Ananta Naga as his divine glory.

I am Varuna among the deities of the water. Varuna is kind of all the water dwellers. At the individual level at the microcosm he is the presiding deity of the tongue.

Among the Pitra Loka I am Aryama. Aryama is the presiding deity of Pitra Loka. Hence the Lord speaks of Aryama as his glory.

Among the disciplinarians I am Yama, the Lord of Death. Yama though feared is the Guru of Brahma Vidya in the Katha Upanishad. Death has both positive and negative aspects. He purifies the beings by enabling them to reap their karma phala. Also Death means Change, so moment to moment we die. Death is nothing but rejunavation- giving up the old and birth of the new. Thus Death is as important as Birth. Hence the Lord speaks of Death as his glory as well.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:36 am

Sloka 30
I am Prahalada among Daityas. The story of Prahalada is well known, and he was a great devotee of the Lord without any desire for any fruit. Hence the Lord speaks of Prahalada as his glory

Among reckoners I am Time. Time is most important, Time is known only by modifications. By proper use of Time we can achieve great things. The importance of Time cannot be under-rated. Time is the substratum on which changes are seen, and without it Change cannot be seen.

I am the Lion among the beasts. The Lion is known for its power, majesty and courage.

I am Garuda among the birds. Garuda was the son of Vinita, he is the vehicle of Lord Vishnu and a great devotee of the Lord. When he flies the hymns of Sama Veda are produced by his wings. Bhagavan has already said among the Vedas I am Sama Veda, hence he speaks of Garuda as his glory as well.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Schandra » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:20 am

Hari Om

Shloka 28

Among the weapons, I am Vajrayuda, the weapon unique to Indra. This is considered most powerful since it was born out of the Tapas Shakti of Dadheechi Maharishi.
Among cows that yield milk, I am Kamadhenu. Kamadhenu does not only yield milk but anything one desires and is therefore the most special amongst cows. The Kamadhenu is a symbolic representation of the human mind mind which can also create anything.if a person decides to tap his mind and intellect, he can attain anything including moksha.
Among the creators, I am the Deity of desire or passion. Desire is the primary cause for producing or creating anything, including children.
Among serpents (poisonous), I am Vasuki, the snake adorned by lord Shiva. The poison denotes ahankara. When you are aware of it and can overcome it as a Jnani does, then you can wear it like an ornament. If not, it will destroy you.

Shloka 29

Of all non poisonous snakes, I am Ananta,the snake on which the lord reclines. Of all the devatas associated with water,I am Varuna, who presides over the oceans which are the biggest water bodies. I am Aryama who is the main de atma in pitru loka. Among the controllers of the world of things and beings, I am Yama.

Shloka 30

Among the children of Diti, who are the asuras, I am Prahalada. Who despite being an Asura, showed a sattvik state of mind and was the greatest devotee of the Lord.
Among the different aspects of keeping count, I am Time, which is the most accurate of all counts. Among animals, I am the lion,the most majestic animal of all and among birds I am the eagle Garuda, the vehicle of the lord and the king of birds.
Schandra

Postby Arvind » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 am

Hari Om,

Thanks for the reflections, now let us see Slokas 31,32 and 33.

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:06 am

HARI OM

VERSE-28
Among weapons Lord's transcendental opulence is the Vajram or thunderbolt the weapon of Indra, the chief of the celestial demigods. Among all cows His vibhuti is the Kamadhenu or Surabhi cows which fulfill all desires.His vibhuti is kandarpah or the passionate desire which results in procreation of progeny. His Vibhti is not connected in anyway to the desire for sense gratification and bodily enjoyments. Sarpanam refers to to poisonous single headed serpents of which Vasuki is the king of them all. Vasuki was also used as a rope to tie Mandara mountain and to churn the ocean.

Verse-29
Of nagas or non-poisonous snakes, God's vibhuti is Ananta the divine serpent upon whose head unlimited universe revolve resembling the size of a mustard seed.Of aquqtics He is Varuna the ruler of waters. Of the manes or ancestors His vibhuti is Aryaman the king of the manes and of chastisers or those who mete out punishments His Vibhuti is Yamaraja the demigod in charge of death and punishment after death.

Verse-30
Among those born in demoniac lines His vibhuti is the great devotee Prahlada who has been recognized as best of Daityas in as much as he is endowed with all good qualities , an extremely pious soul , a faithful , loving and disinterested devotee of God , and the ruler of Daityas.Among reckoners He is the time which is the basis of all astronomical calculations. Lion is the king of all beasts . It is the strongest , the boldest and the bravest of animals. Hence He counts it
among his glories. Lord declares Him to be Garuda, the son of Vinita, is the king of all birds . He is a great devotee of god and the Lords own carrier.
sathiavathi

Postby lakssg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Verse 28
Among weapons I am Vajra.- thunderbolt. It is a powerful weapon which was used to annihilate vritrasura- the demon. This was made from the backbone of Dadichi Rishi.it represents the strength of bone of rishi indicative of power of austerity
Among cows I am kamadukh. Denu is cow with a calf which can be milked. It is one among the various byproducts obtained during churning of milky ocean.
Among progenitors I am god of love –kandarpa. This is indicative of desire used only for the purpose of progeny and not for mere pleasure
Among snakes- sarpas I am vasuki. The snake who volunteered himself as a rope for churning the ocean. Sarpas are single hooded ,poisonous and live in earth only.
lakssg

Postby lakssg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Verse 29
Among snakes - NAGA i am sesha naga- 1000 hooded naga on whom god Vishnu reclines.Sesha naga has only taken avathar as lakshman and balarama serving lord always.
Among those deities of water I am varuna .
Among pithrus I am their ruler aryama.
Among disciplinarians I am lord of death- yama. Death is a change where by subtle body moves to its new abode to reap karma phalas. Death I and birth are the 2 sides of the coin. Yama has no partiality and he rules as per laws.

Verse 30
Among daithyas I am prahlada.prahlada a nishkama bhaktha was initiated when he was in his mothers womb by devarshi narada .
Among reckoners ( calculators) I am time- span of life .it can never be changed. Time is so precious we cannot waste even a moment.
Among animals I am the mighty lion- all powerful king of animals.
Among birds I am garuda. Fastest of all birds he is the vehicle of lord Vishnu. When he flies the sounds produced from his wings are the sama songs .he serves the lord tirelessly.
lakssg

Postby nikhil1707 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Sloka 26

The fig tree (asvattha) is one of the most beautiful and highest trees, and people in India often worship it as one of their daily morning rituals. Amongst the demigods they also worship Narada, who is considered the greatest devotee in the universe. Thus he is the representation of Krsna as a devotee. The Gandharva planet is filled with entities who sing beautifully, and among them the best singer is Citraratha. Amongst the perpetually living entities, Kapila is considered an incarnation of Krsna, and His philosophy is mentioned in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Later on another Kapila became famous, but his philosophy was atheistic. Thus there is a gulf of difference between them.

Sloka 27

The devotee demigods and the demons (asuras) once took a sea journey. On this journey, nectar and poison were produced, and Lord Siva drank the poison. From the nectar were produced many entities, of which there was a horse named Uccaihsrava. Another animal produced from the nectar was an elephant named Airavata. Because these two animals were produced from nectar, they have special significance, and they are representatives of Krsna.
Amongst the human beings, the king is the representative of Krsna because Krsna is the maintainer of the universe, and the kings, who are appointed on account of their godly qualifications, are maintainers of their kingdoms. Kings like Maharaja Yudhisthira, Maharaja Pariksit and Lord Rama were all highly righteous kings who always thought of the citizens' welfare. In Vedic literature, the king is considered to be the representative of God. In this age, however, with the corruption of the principles of religion, monarchy decayed and is now finally abolished. It is to be understood that in the past, however, people were more happy under righteous kings.
nikhil1707

Postby nikhil1707 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Sloka 28

The thunderbolt, indeed a mighty weapon, represents Krsna's power. In Krsnaloka in the spiritual sky there are cows which can be milked at any time, and they give as much milk as one likes. Of course such cows do not exist in this material world, but there is mention of them in Krsnaloka. The Lord keeps many such cows, which are called surabhi. It is stated that the Lord is engaged in herding the surabhi cows. Kandarpa is the sex desire for presenting good sons; therefore Kandarpa is the representative of Krsna. Sometimes sex is engaged in only for sense gratification; such sex does not represent Krsna. But sex for the generation of good children is called Kandarpa and represents Krsna.
nikhil1707

Postby nikhil1707 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:03 am

Sloka 29

Among the many celestial Naga serpents, Ananta is the greatest, as is Varuna among the aquatics. They both represent Krsna. There is also a planet of trees presided over by Aryama, who represents Krsna. There are many living entities who give punishment to the miscreants, and among them Yama is the chief. Yama is situated in a planet near this earthly planet, and after death those who are very sinful are taken there, and Yama arranges different kinds of punishments for them.

Sloka 30

Diti and Aditi are two sisters. The sons of Aditi are called Adityas, and the sons of Diti are called Daityas. All the Adityas are devotees of the Lord, and all the Daityas are atheistic. Although Prahlada was born in the family of the Daityas, he was a great devotee from his childhood. Because of his devotional service and godly nature, he is considered to be a representative of Krsna.
There are many subduing principles, but time wears down all things in the material universe and so represents Krsna. Of the many animals, the lion is the most powerful and ferocious, and of the million varieties of birds, Garuda, the bearer of Lord Visnu, is the greatest.
nikhil1707

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:00 am

Sloka 31
पवनः पवतामस्मि रामः शस्त्रभृतामहम्‌ ।
झषाणां मकरश्चास्मि स्रोतसामस्मि जाह्नवी ॥

Word to Word Meaning
पवनः = The wind
पवताम = among the purifiers
अस्मि = I am
रामः = Rama
शस्त्रभृताम = among fishes
अहम्‌ = I am
झषाणां = Among fishes
मकरश्चा = Makara (shark)
अस्मि = I am
स्रोतसाम = and among rivers
अस्मि = I am
जाह्नवी = the Ganges

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among purifiers, I am the wind; among the warriors I am Rama; among fishes , I am the shark; among rivers I am the Ganges.

Sloka 32
सर्गाणामादिरन्तश्च मध्यं चैवाहमर्जुन ।
अध्यात्मविद्या विद्यानां वादः प्रवदतामहम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning
सर्गाणामादिर = Among creations I am the beginning
अन्तश्च = the end
मध्यं = and the middle
चैवाहमर्जुन = and also Arjuna I am
अध्यात्मविद्या = of the Self
विद्यानां = the science (related to it)
वादः = (and) logic
प्रवदतामहम्‌ = among those argue (based on logic)

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among Creations, I am the beginning, the middle and also the end, O Arjuna, among sciences I am the Science of the Self and I (am) the logic in all arguments.

Sloka 33
अक्षराणामकारोऽस्मि द्वंद्वः सामासिकस्य च ।
अहमेवाक्षयः कालो धाताहं विश्वतोमुखः ॥

Word to Word Meaning
अक्षराणाम = Among letters
अकारोऽ = the letter 'A'
अस्मि = I am
द्वंद्वः = the dual
सामासिकस्य च = among the various types of compounds (in Sanskrit grammar)
अहमेवाक्षयः = I am verily the in exhaustible
कालो = time
धाताहं = I am the Dispenser (of fruits of actions)
विश्वतोमुखः = having faces in all sides

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among the letters I am the letter 'A', among all compounds I am the Dual dvanda compound. I am verily , the inexhaustible or the everlasting Time; I am the all faced dispenses of fruit of actions having faces in all directions.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 am

Sloka 31
Among the winds I am the purifier. Wind can arise when the sun is hot. The wind is the best antiseptic, purifier. Because it
purifies as Prana it makes the body healthy , and therefore says the Lord that is my Glory as I also , like the wind purify the jiva.
Among warriors(wielder of weapons) I am Rama. Bhagavan Rama had both power and weapons. Whenever there is power we may misuse it. But Rama used it for destruction of enemies for a just cause. So the Lord says it is my glory. Also the weapon is to be understood subjectively as that which destroys the negative emotions of our mind- the Ravana.
Among fishes I am the alligator, it being most powerful. Makara is sometimes referred to as a mythical sea creature, vehicle of Varuna.
Among rivers I am the Ganges, the glory of which is unparallel.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 am

Sloka 32

Lord Krishna reveals that His vibhuti or divine, transcendental opulence is sarganam or creation. Creation is the total sum of all things in existence and the Supreme Lord Krishna is the beginning or origin of all, the middle or preservation of all and the end or dissolution of all being the creator of everything.

Among all forms of Knowledge I am the Knowledge of the Self, which alone can put an end to endless ignorance.

Of the three forms of debate and argument His vibhuti known as vadah is the discriminating debate that results in knowledge of the absolute conclusive truth. This is in opposition to the other two forms being jalpa which is an argument calculated to destroy the opposition at any cost even by deception and falsehood. The other is vintanda whose aim is to criticize and undermine the oppositions position without ever establishing any position.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:29 am

Sloka 33
Among all letters I am the letter "A". "A" comes first as alphabet in all languages. It pervades all other letters. Even in "AUM" the first letter is "A". The Lord is similarly all pervading as "A" and therefore refers to it as his glory.

Of all the compound words I am the Dwanda Samaas. In Sanskrit there are various forms of compound words (samaas). Compound words are created by combination of two words. In these different types of compounds one or the other word carries weight. There is also a special compound called "dvanda samaasa" where both words carry same weight. Bhagavan says I am that kind of compound where words in the compound are given equal weight, for I am equal to all.

I am alone the Infinite Time. Time here means time per say, or the one who is the Cause of Time- the supreme Lord. Time in fact cannot be divided. We for practical purposes have divided time. If needed everyone can measure time as per his own standards. So Time is actually endless and non-divisible in reality, like the Lord. Therefore he speaks of Time as his glory.

Of creators His vibhuti is dhataham visvato- mukhah meaning the four faced Brahma who faces can see on all sides.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Hari Om,

Let us now see Slokas 34,35 and 36.

Word and Sloka Meaning: Arvind
Reflections : Everyone.

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:10 am

HARI OM

VERSE-31
Of purifiers the Lord's Vibhuti is the wind. Of wielders of weapons His Vibhuti is Parasurama who slew in battle all the Kshatriyas or warriors class 21 times with his mighty axe. Among fish His Vibhuti is a particular fish that can swallow a whole whale and lives in the deepest part of the ocean known as Makara and amongst all rivers Lord's Vibhuti is Jhanvi a name of the holy Ganga.

Verse-32
Lord reveals that His divine transcendental opulence is creation. Creation is a total total sum of all things in existence and supreme Lord Krishna is the beginning or origin of all, the middle or preservation of all and the end or dissolution of all being the creator of every thing. Of the three forms of debate that results in knowledge of the absolute conclusive truth. This is in opposition to the other two forms being Jalpa which is an argument calculated to destroy the opposition at any cost even by deception and falsehood. The other is vintanda whose aim is to criticize and undermine the oppositions position without ever establishing any position.

Verse-33
Lord Krishna reveals that of the letters of the alphabets His Vibhuti is the letter a-kara which is the root of all other letters.His Vibhuti of compound words are Rama-Krishna.Samasikasya is the class of compound word forming in Sanskrit. Of the several ways to compound Lord Krishna is the duel compound of which both terms are substantive attributes of equal position with each other grammatically. His vibhuti is expressed as ever-flowing time composed of uninterrupted divisions such as kala a measurement of 8 seconds and Muhurta a period comprising 1/60 thof a 24 hour day.Among secondary creators His vibhuti is the four headed dhataham knownas Brahma.
sathiavathi

Postby Schandra » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 am

Hari Om.

Shloka 31

Bhagawan continues to further enumerate His Vibhuti. Among the purifiers such as water,wind,fire etc., Bhagawan says He is the wind. Of all the deities wielding weapons, He is Rama. Rama epitomizes virtue and He used his bow only all non- violent methods failed. He used the weapon to establish Dharma. Among all aquatic creatures,He is Makara. This could mean to be the whale(the biggest) or the shark( most powerful). Among all rivers in the world He is Ganga. Ganga is synonymous with sanctity and as a remover of sins.

Shloka 32

Among all creations, He is the beginning,middle and the end ,time wise or spatially. Among all branches of knowledge, He is the Spiritual knowledge. All other branches deal with material things which are unreal or Maya. Spiritual knowledge alone deals with the One Reality and liberates the person the sense of limitations. He has already praised this knowledge to be the rarest since very few people come to know it. Of all kinds of discussions,He is "vadha". In this kind of discussion ego is set aside, one accepts one's mistake ,listen to the other person and the aim is to only arrive at the truth.

Shloka 33

Among all the alphabets, He is 'A', the first alphabet which also produces the fundamental or basic sound from which all other letters and sounds arrive as modification. The presiding deity for 'A' is Brahma ji. Of all the compound words, He is the Dwandwa in which both the words have equal importance towards the full meaning of the word. He is also the everlasting time, which puts an end to everything but itself and is therefore infinite. He constantly views everybody's(in all directions) karma and dispenses fruit of the karma accordingly.
Schandra

Postby lakssg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 am

Verse 31
Of all purifiers Wind is the greatest purifier . lord alone is the purifier for jeeva.
Of those who are wielders of weapon lord is Rama. SriRamji was always carrying the bow and arrow in a creative way and used to protect dharma .
Among fishes lord is shark and among rivers the sacred ganges

Verse 32
Lord as the self is the beginning, the end and the middle of all .lord is the abinna nimitha upadana karana- the entire universe has risen up from him ,supported by him and in the end merges back in to him.

Among knowledges lord is the self knowledge- the supreme knowledge knowing which everything else is known.
Of 3 types of arguments lord is vadha. Vadha is a technique of discussion where ones aim is to come to the truth without wasting time and energy in arguments. This is based on faith.the other 2 types ja lpa and vitanda are arguments used for proving ones own point and to oppose the others view point.

Verse 33
Among letters I am letter-“A” –this is placed first in all alphabets in all languages and is the essence in all speech.
Of all compound words I am the dwanda- compound word created by combination of 2 words. Lord as equal to all like the equally important words in a compound
I alone am the infinite and absolute time. Lord is immanent and transcendant- being the substratum for the finite experience of each moment and for absolute concept of time.
Among creators I am brahma- who has 4 faces. Lord as consciousness is the illuminator of all perceptions
lakssg

PreviousNext

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum