Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Postby Arvind » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am

Sloka 34
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम्‌ ।
कीर्तिः श्रीर्वाक्च नारीणां स्मृतिर्मेधा धृतिः क्षमा ॥

Word to Word Meaning
मृत्युः = Death
सर्वहरश्चा = all devouring I am
हमुद्भवश्च = as well as prosperity
भविष्यताम्‌ = of those who are prosperous
कीर्तिः = fame
श्री = prosperity
वाक्च = speech
नारीणां = and of the feminine
स्मृति = the memory
र्मेधा = intelligence
धृतिः = firmness
क्षमा = and forgiveness

Full Sloka Meaning:
And I am all-devouring Death, and the prosperity of those who are to be prosperous; among the feminine qualities (I am) fame, prosperity, speech, memory, intelligence, firmness and forgiveness.

Sloka 35
बृहत्साम तथा साम्नां गायत्री छन्दसामहम्‌ ।
मासानां मार्गशीर्षोऽहमृतूनां कुसुमाकरः॥

Word to Word Meaning
बृहत्साम = Brihitsama
तथा = also
साम्नां = Among the Sama hymns
गायत्री = Gayatri
छन्दसाम = Among the metres
अहम्‌ = I am
मासानां = Among the months
मार्गशीर्षो = I am Margazhi
अहमृतूनां = I am among the seasons
कुसुमाकरः = the flowery season

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among hymns I am the Brihat Saman, among the metres Gayatri am I ; among months I am the Marghazi month, among seasons I am the flowery spring.

Sloka 36
द्यूतं छलयतामस्मि तेजस्तेजस्विनामहम्‌ ।
जयोऽस्मि व्यवसायोऽस्मि सत्त्वं सत्त्ववतामहम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
द्यूतं = Gambing
छलयताम = among the fraudulent
अस्मि = I am
तेजस् = splendour
तेजस्विनाम = among the splendid
अहम्‌ = I am
जयो = Victory
अस्मि = I am
व्यवसायो = among those who are filled with determination, determination
अस्मि = I am
सत्त्वं = among the good
सत्त्ववताम = goodness quality
अहम्‌ = I am

Full Sloka Meaning:
I am the gambling of the fraudulent; I am the splendour of the splendid; I am victory, I am determination (of those who are determined), I am the goodness of the good.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby nikhil1707 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Sloka 31

In nature, wind performs the work of purification very effectively. It converts impure water into water vapor; it carries away the dirty smells of the earth; it makes fire burn by fuelling it with oxygen. It is thus the great purifier of nature.

Lord Ram was the most powerful warrior on the earth and his bow was the deadliest weapon. Yet, he never once abused his dominant superiority. Every time he utilized his weapon, it was only for good. He was thus the perfect wielder of weapons. Ram was also an Avatār of God, and thus Shree Krishna identifies with him.

The Ganges is a holy river that has its beginning from the divine feet of the Lord. It descended on earth from the celestial abodes. Many great sages have performed austerities on its banks, adding to the holiness of its waters. Unlike normal water, if water from the Ganges is gathered in a vessel, it does not putrefy for years. This phenomenon was very pronounced earlier, but has reduced in intensity in modern times because of the millions of gallons of pollutants being poured into the Gange
nikhil1707

Postby nikhil1707 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Sloka 32

Earlier in the twentieth verse, Shree Krishna had stated that he is the beginning, middle, and end of all living beings. Now, he states the same for all creation, “All that is created, such as space, air, fire, water, and earth, is called sarga. I am the Creator (ādi), Maintainer (madhya), and Annihilator (anta) of these. Therefore, the processes of creation, maintenance, and dissolution can be meditated upon as my vibhūtis.”
nikhil1707

Postby nikhil1707 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Sloka 33

In Sanskrit, all letters are formed by combining a half-letter with “a.” For example, क् + अ = क (k + a = ka). Hence, the letter “a” is the most important in the Sanskrit alphabet. “A” is also the first vowel of the alphabet, and since the vowels are written before the consonants, “A” comes at the very beginning.

Although Sanskrit is such an ancient language, it is highly refined and sophisticated. A common procedure in Sanskrit language is to combine words to form compound words. When, in the process of making one compound word, two or more words give up their case endings, it is called samāsa, and the resulting word is called samāsa pada, or compound word. There are primarily six kinds of samāsa: 1) dwandva, 2) bahubṛihi, 3) karm dhāray, 4) tatpuruṣh, 5) dwigu, 6) avyayī bhāv. Amongst these, dwandva is the best because both words remain prominent in it, while in the others, either one word becomes more prominent, or both words combine together to give the meaning of a third word. The dual word Radha-Krishna is an example of dwandva. Shree Krishna highlights it as his vibhūti.
nikhil1707

Postby Arvind » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Sloka 34
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम्‌ ।
कीर्तिः श्रीर्वाक्च नारीणां स्मृतिर्मेधा धृतिः क्षमा ॥

I am the all-consuming Death. There are no distinctions after Death. Bhagavan is also the destroyer of all negative tendencies and thoughts.I am the origin as well as the end and what stays in the middle. Also I consume everything at the time of Cosmic dissolution. I am also the source of all new creations that are to come in future. Destruction is only a transformation or modification of the existing form of an object.

(a) कीर्तिः - Fame arising from Dharma, such a Kirti has beauty in it and alone is the Lord's glory itself.

(b) श्री = Prosperity, wealth that is again earned through right means and also spent for the right kind of activities. Wealth also means inner wealth, virtues and qualities.

(c) वाक्च = Speech that must be truthful, beneficial and sweet also, the Sattvik speech is referred here. Also what to speak- only Dharma and Jnana - that which is pure and purifies the speaker as well as others.

(d) स्मृति = Memory , the highest is rememberance of one's own true nature always.

(e) Medha - Intelligence, remembering the scriptures and knowing how to aptly apply them in our life. Therefore the power of the mind which enables one to hold om to the teachings of the scriptures is Medha.

(f) धृतिः (Dhriti) - Ability to hold on to spiritual practises at all times. Or the power of oneself to keep the body and the senses even amidst various kinds of sufferings. Also the power to keep onself unattached even when doing actions. It also means sometimes Courage.

(g) क्षमा - Means endurance, sometimes it is also used in the context of forgiveness.
These qualities when they manifest create such adjustments in the inner equipments of Man that we can perceive the Lord more clearly then in our lives.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Sloka 35
बृहत्साम तथा साम्नां गायत्री छन्दसामहम्‌ ।
मासानां मार्गशीर्षोऽहमृतूनां कुसुमाकरः॥

Among the hymns I am Brihat Saman, among the metres I am Gayatri, among the months I am Margizhi and among the seasons I am the flowery season.

"Samans" refer to songs of the Sama Veda. Of all the metres that are met with in the volume of the Sama Veda, the most difficult and complicated is the metre called 'Brihati'.

Of all the Meters I am Gayatri. I am that meter where Gayatri chanda is there. Or it could mean I am Gayatri Mantra.
Different Mantras are in different meters. Whoever chants the Gaytari Mantra is protected, that is my glory says the Lord.

Among the months I am Margizhi. Marga means path. 'Shirsha' means top or head. Or it means Highest Path. Highest path of reaching Bhagavan is by Bhakti. This Bhakti is exclusively to be practiced in Margizhi.

Of seasons I am the spring. Spring brings delight and thrill- it represents an air of celebration.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Hari Om,

let us now proceed to Slokas 37-39.

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Sloka 37
वृष्णीनां वासुदेवोऽस्मि पाण्डवानां धनञ्जयः ।
मुनीनामप्यहं व्यासः कवीनामुशना कविः

Word to Word Meaning
वृष्णीनां = Among the Vrishnis
वासुदेवो = Vasudeva
अस्मि = I am
पाण्डवानां = Among the Pandavas
धनञ्जयः = I am Dhananjaya
मुनीनामप्य = Among the Munis
अहं = I am
व्यासः = Vyasa
कवीनामुशना = Among the poets I am Ushna
कविः = the great Seer

Full Sloka Meaning
Among the Vrishnis I am Vasudeva; among the Pandavas (I am) Dhananjaya; also among the Munis I am Vyasa; and among the poets I am Ushana, the great Seer.

Sloka 38
दण्डो दमयतामस्मि नीतिरस्मि जिगीषताम्‌ ।
मौनं चैवास्मि गुह्यानां ज्ञानं ज्ञानवतामहम्‌

Word to Word Meaning
दण्डो = The sceptre
दमयताम = among the punishers
अस्मि = I am
नीतिर = statesmanship
अस्मि = I am
जिगीषताम्‌ = among those who seek victory
मौनं = silence
चैवा = and also
अस्मि = I am
गुह्यानां = among the secrets
ज्ञानं = the knowledge
ज्ञानवताम = among the knowers
अहम्‌ = I am

Full Sloka Meaning
Among punishers I am the Sceptre, among those who seek victory, I am statesmanship; and also among secrets, I am Silence and I am Knowledge among the knowers.

Sloka 39
यच्चापि सर्वभूतानां बीजं तदहमर्जुन ।
न तदस्ति विना यत्स्यान्मया भूतं चराचरम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning
यच्चापि = And whatsoever
सर्वभूतानां = of all beings
बीजं = is the seed
तद = that
अहम = I am
अर्जुन = O Arjuna
न तदस्ति = there is no being
विना = without
यत्स्यान्मया = which exists without Me
भूतं = any being
चराचरम्‌ = moving or unmoving

Full Sloka Meaning
And whatsoever is the seed of all beings, that also I am, O Arjuna; there is no being, whether moving or unmoving, that can exist without Me.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Schandra » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 am

Hari Om

Shloka 34

I am that destroyer ( lord Yama) who takes away everything from a jeeva when death occurs. A person cannot take anything with him at the time of death other than the punya and paapa he accrues during his lifetime. I am the resource or source of all future prosperity. Amongst all the female devatas who are presiding deities over various aspects of creation, I am the devata for fame, prosperity,speech, memory, intelligence,fortitude and forgiveness.

Shloka 35

Among all the mantras in the Sama Veda, I am the Brihat Sama Mantra which is a very auspicious mantra glorifying the Lord, the infinite One. I am the Gayatri mantra among all Veda mantras. The greatness of the Gayatri mantra lies in the fact that it is the essence of the Vedas. If the Gayatri mantra is chanted, no other mantra needs to be chanted. Among the twelve months in the year, I am the Marga Shirsha. ( the period from the 15 th of December until the 15th of January). This is the time of year when the earth is ready with abundance of crops and produce. This month is also considered to be the time of dawn for the Devas and is the most auspicious time to perform all religious activities. Of all the seasons, I am spring,when all flowering plants blossom making everybody happy and beautifying the surroundings.

Shloka 36

Among those activities that rob us of our discriminative abilities, I am gambling. I am also the inner brilliance or intelligence found in the brilliant or intelligent people who are able to resist temptation to all gambling activities and all actions that bring about the downfall of a person. I am the Satva Guna ( spiritual inclination) in the Satvic people. Once this inclination is present, spiritual effort is required for spiritual fulfillment which will lead to spiritual success. I am all of the above.
Schandra

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:19 am

HARI OM
VERSE-34
Of annihilators Lord Krishna's vibhuti is mrtyah or death which annihilates all memories and
remembrance. Of the six transformations of the body that lead up to death His vibhuti is birth

the first. Of women His vibhuti is kirti meaning excellent reputation. srir means lustrous

beauty, vak means articulate speach, smrtir means good memory, medha means discerning
intelligence, dhritih is patient fortitude and ksama is causeless forgiveness. These are the
seven qualities of a virtuous and by just possessing even a reflection of these qualities one
becomes praisworthy.

verse-35
In this verse Lord reveals that of all the hymns of all the vedas, His vibhuti is the brhad Sama.
This hymn is chanted at the conclusion of auspicious vedic ceremonies. Of chandasam or

Mantras composed in poetical meter His vibhuti is Gayatri mantra which is the best as by its

efficacy it confers Brahmin status on the qualified initiate. It is also sung at the time of picking

the soma plant by the demigods. Of months His vibhuti is Margasirsa when the grains are

harvested and of the seasons His vibhuti is the spring season.

verse-36
Of cheaters who defraud each other His vibhuti is gambling. Of the powerful His vibhuti is the valiant , of the victorious His vibhuti is victory, of the energetic His vibhuti is the endeavour
and His vibhuti is the strength of the mighty.
sathiavathi

Postby lakssg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:39 pm

Verse 34
Among those which destroys and takes away everything- like thunder ,lightning,flood,eartquakese iam the death- all destroyer.supreme lord is the all destroyer at dissolution
For Those who are capable iam the very prosperity or greatness which determines their bright future.
Amongst women iam the the nobility /goodness of the character-,keerthi, sampathi, speech, smrithi ( rememberence), medha- intelligence,perseverance, forgiveness .

Verse 35
Among sama mantras i am brahat sama.
Of the veda mantras in various metres i am gayatri .only by gayatri initiation one enters spiritual life.
Among the months i am margasirsha. Puja done in this period equals puja done for 1000 years
Of the various seasons i am spring- filled with flowers and its fragarence.

Verse 36
Of the fraudulent I am game of gambling such as playing with the dice.everything will be lost in a moment
I am the brilliance among the brilliant.
Among the winners i am their victory. Among those who work hard i am their hard work.our talent is God so it has to be shared.
i am the nobility in the noble.
lakssg

Postby lakssg » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Verse 37
Among family of vrishnis i am vasudeva
Among pandavas i am you yourself-Arjuna
Among the munis i am vyasa. The great rishi who has ensured that Vedas reach to all of us .he has dedicated his life to the welfare of humanity.
Among the kavi- kranthadarshi or one who has sukshma drishti i am ushna kavi- shukracharya. He knew everything including the art of reviving the dead.

Verse 38
Among those who are authority for protecting the society i am the power whereby the wrongdoers are punished and law and order is kept in check
I am the path of righteousness leading to victory for those who are desirous of victory
Among those things which are hidden or secretive i am silence.
I am the very essence of knowledge of those who are knowledgeable. knowledge here refers to adyatma vidya

Verse 39
Lord concludes the description of vibuthis by telling he is the abinna nimitha upadana karana.
I am the seed of all beings. Source or the cause of the entire cosmos .uthpathi karana
Without me nothing can exist – whether it is moving or unmoving .
lakssg

Postby sathiavathi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 am

HARI OM
VERSE-37
Amoung the members of the Vrsni clan of ksatriyas Lord's vibhuti is Krishna the son of

vasudeva. Enveloping all creation He illuminates it just like the rays of the sun as the indwelling
monitor with in all living entities. Being especially in all things as the best of them his vibhuti
is Vyasa among the sages. Among the wise His vibhuti is Sukracharya, the famous precepter
of the demon kings.

verse-38
Among the subduing power of rulers , His vibhuti is the power of punishment that keep the wrong

doers in line. His vibhuti is righteousness in those who seek to conquer.Of secrets His vibhuti
is maunam or silence,the custodian of secrets. Knowledge alone is the best of all knowledge.
Hence Lord reveals that such knowledge to be his own self.

verse-39
Lord reveals that He is the beejam or root seed and origin of all beings exisisting in all situations and manifestations. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever animate or inanimate
which can exist without Lord Krishna as He pervades the total material existance externally
as the brahman or spiritual substractum pervading all existance and internally as paramatma
the supreme soul with in the etheric heart of each and every living entity.There is no creature
which is whatsoever devoid of His presence.
sathiavathi

Postby nikhil1707 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:57 am

Sloka 34
There is a phrase in English, “as sure as death.” For one who is born, death is certain. All life inevitably ends in death, and thus the phrase, “dead end.” God is not merely the force of creation; he is also the force of destruction. He devours everything in the form of death. In the cycle of life and death, those who die are born again. Shree Krishna states that he is also the generating principle of all future beings.

Certain qualities are seen as adornments in the personality of women, while other qualities are viewed as especially praiseworthy in men. Ideally, a well-rounded personality is one that possesses both kinds of qualities. Here, Shree Krishna lists fame, prosperity, perfect speech, memory, intelligence, courage, and forgiveness, as virtues that make women glorious. The first three of these qualities manifest on the outside, while the next four manifest on the inside.

Besides this, the progenitor of humankind Prajapati Daksha had twenty-four daughters. Five of these were considered the best of women—Kirti, Smriti, Medha, Dhriti, and Kshama. Shree was the daughter of Sage Bhrigu. Vak was the daughter of Brahma. In accordance with their respective names, these seven women are the presiding deities of the seven qualities mentioned in this verse. Here, Shree Krishna enlists these qualities as his vibhūtis.

Sloka 35

Earlier Shree Krishna had said that of the Vedas he is the Sāma Veda, which is rich with beautiful devotional songs. Now he says that within the Sāma Veda, he is the Brihatsama, which has an exquisite melody. It is typically sung at midnight.

The Sanskrit language, like other languages, has distinctive systems of rhymes and meters for writing poetry. The poetry of the Vedas is in many meters. Amongst these, the Gayatri meter is very attractive and melodious.
The Gayatri mantra is a part of the sacred thread ceremony for young males, and is recited as a part of the daily rituals. The Devi Gayatri, the Rudra Gayatri, the Brahma Gayatri, the Paramhansa Gayatri, and several other Gayatri mantras are also found in the Vedas.

Margsheersh is the ninth month of the Hindu calendar. It falls in November-December. The temperature at that time in India is just right—neither too hot nor too cold. The crops in the field are harvested at this time of the year. For these reasons it is often the favorite month of the people.

Basant (spring season) is known as ṛitu rāja, or the king of seasons. It is a time when nature seems to be euphorically bursting forth with life. Many festivals are celebrated in spring, epitomizing the joy that pervades the atmosphere. Thus, amongst the seasons, spring manifests God’s opulence the most.

Sloka 36

Shree Krishna mentions not only virtue but also vice as his opulence. Gambling is a dangerous vice that ruins families, businesses, and lives. It was Yudhishthir’s weakness for gambling that led to the Mahabharat war. But if gambling is also God’s glory, then is there no harm in it, and why is it forbidden?

The answer is that God grants his power to the soul, and along with it, he gives the freedom of choice. If we choose to forget him, he gives us the power to forget. This is just as electric power can be used both to heat and cool a house. The user is free to choose how to utilize the power. However, the powerhouse that supplies the energy is not responsible for either the use or misuse of the power. Similarly, a gambler too possesses intellect and ability that is supplied by God. But if he decides to misuse these God-given gifts, then God is not responsible for the sinful deeds.
nikhil1707

Postby Payyubg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:22 am

Sloka 37:
Sri Krishna son of vasudeva is a descendant of Vrishni of the Yadava clan. Among the Pandava's he is Dhananjaya ( giver of wealth) the unparalleled warrior . The Pandavas were victorious only because Bhagwan was on their side. One can say that the teacher enthused his student by praising him this way.

Among the munis He is Vyasa. Krishnadwipayana was later known as Veda Vyasa for his unique and elaborate style of writing. Vyasa authored the Puranas, which elaborated and made it possible for every body to understand the essence of the Vedas.

Kavi is one who is a seer of Vedic mantras according to the Upanishads.Usana here most likely refers to Sukracharya son of Bhrigu and Guru to the Asuras. The Upanishads mentions him to be a Vedic scholar. Bhagawan says amongst the Kavis he is Usana.

Sloka 38:

Bhagawan says he is the authority and the power behind those whose jobs are to punish people for their mis deeds.
The person is allowed to punish another , only because of this power of authority bestowed on him. Without this authority the person will not be able to execute his job .

Next Bhagawan says he is the silence of things that are kept secret. A secret remains a secret only when it is kept quiet. Hence to remain silent is the key to maintaining the secret. Knowledge of the self is often mentioned as a secret, because it is difficult to comprehend. The reason for this is because knowledge of the self can only be realizes when the mind is at total silence.

The knowledge that a person has makes him or her wise. To be a wise person means he has this Divine personality that is expressed because of the knowledge he has acquired . Bhagawan says he is that very knowledge that make a person wise.

Sloka 39:

Bhagawan once again emphasizes the main essence of the Gita- that self is the creator, sustainer and destroyer. The self is all pervading has no beginning or end. The self is the seed that contains within itself the sum total of all the universes. At the time of creation, everything emerges from this seed as all the things with names and forms as we know it. At pralaya, everything converges back into this seed. Nothing can exist without this seed, whether it is moving or non-moving.
Payyubg

Postby Arvind » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 am

Sloka 37:

Vrishni - A descendent of the Yadavas. Hence one of Bhagavan's name is "Vrishni". Lord says he is Vasudeva- one who stays everywhere , 'vas' dhatoo signifies this.
Among Pandavas I am Arjuna- whatever good qualities, virtues Arjuna has it is because of Bhagavan- this is the import.
Of the saints I am Vyasa- Vyasa should suggest all men of refelction. Vyasa also means 'vyasena' - one who can elaborate.
Among the Kavis I am Ushana. In the Upanishads Kavi means men of deep reflection, seers. Not much is known to us about Ushna to comment.
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:27 am

Sloka 38

Among the punishers I am the sceptre:
The law giver must see that he governs by the enforcing the laws.
दण्डो- a symbol of power, sovereignity. To rule over a kingdom there must be strict discipline, rules and regulations. One must be endowed with power. That power is Me.

Of conquerors I am the state craft
If one wants to win over an enemy one must have niti (statesmanship, strategy, planning). Bhagavan says this planning which is the secret of victory is Me.
The art of negation, planning and ability to put forward strategy in such a way that the nation gets benefit or for a greater cause, this type of नीतिर is Bhagavan.

Of things secret I am Silence
Just like secrecy is in silence (as long silence is maintained), the secret of the Self is also secret. It is enjoyed against only in deep silence. Indeed the Lord is the deep and unbroken silence.

The Knowledge of the Knowers am I
I am the Knowledge, source of all Knowledges - be it secular or spiritual.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 am

Sloka 39

Lord Krishna reveals that He is the bijam or root seed and germinating origin of all living entities because there is no living entity moving or stationary that can exist without Him.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:32 am

Hari Om,

Thanks to all for their Reflections on Sloka 37,38 and 39.

Bhagavan now concludes this Chapter by saying that there is no end to his glories. Let us now see the last 3 Slokas of this Chapter- Slokas 40, 41 and 42.

Pranaams
Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Sloka 40
नान्तोऽस्ति मम दिव्यानां विभूतीनां परन्तप ।
एष तूद्देशतः प्रोक्तो विभूतेर्विस्तरो मया ॥

Word to Word Meaning
नान्तो = No end
अस्ति = there is
मम= to My
दिव्यानां= Divine
विभूतीनां= Glories
परन्तप = O Parantapa!
एष = this
तूद्देशतः= (is but) a brief statement
प्रोक्तो= has been stated
विभूतेर् = of my glories
विस्तरो= in particular
मया = by Me

Full Sloka Meaning:
There is no end to My Divine Glories, O Parantapa; but; this is but a brief statement by Me of the particulars of My Divine Glories.

Sloka 41
यद्यद्विभूतिमत्सत्त्वं श्रीमदूर्जितमेव वा ।
तत्तदेवावगच्छ त्वं मम तेजोंऽशसम्भवम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
यद्यद्वि = Whatever
भूतिमत् = (is) glorious
सत्त्वं = in any being
श्रीम = (or) prosperous
दूर्जितमेव= (or) powerful
वा = of
तत्तदेवावगच्छ= that only know
त्वं= you
मम= (to be of) My
तेजों = splendor
अशसम्भवम्‌ = a manifestation

Full Sloka Meaning:
Whatever that is glorious, prosperous or powerful in any being, that know you to be a manifestation of a part of My splendour.

Sloka 42
अथवा बहुनैतेन किं ज्ञातेन तवार्जुन ।
विष्टभ्याहमिदं कृत्स्नमेकांशेन स्थितो जगत्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning
अथवा= Or
बहुनैतेन = (by) many (by) this
किं= what
ज्ञातेन= avail of knowing
तवार्जुन = O Arjuna
विष्टभ्या = supporting
जगत्‌ कृत्स्नमे = this whole world
अहमिदं= I here
स्थितो= exist
कांशेन = by one part of Myself

Full Sloka Meaning:
But, of what avail to thee is the knowledge of all these details, O Arjuna ? I exist, supporting this whole "world" by one part of Myself.

Hari Om
Arvind

PreviousNext

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum