Gita Chapter 11 - Vishwa Rupa Darsana Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Gita Chapter 11 - Vishwa Rupa Darsana Yoga

Postby Arvind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

With Bhagavan's grace, Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji's blessings, the group has successfully completed systematic study of 10th Chapter of Gita, Vibhuti Yoga.

Let's now study the next chapter, Chapter 11 - Gita Chapter 11 - Visva Rupa Darsana Yoga- the Yoga of the Cosmic Form.

Guidelines:

We will stick to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji's Gita text for our study and Pujya Swami Advayanandaji's "Gita Ready Reference" book for our main reference. Additional references only from Chinmaya Mission Acharya's discourses/CDs/DVDs/Shankara Bhashya as well as teachers in the line of Advaita parampara will be allowed and appreciated. We will take up the verses according to the thought flow for our discussion.

Since we are starting a new topic I invite all readers to come forward and join this discussion actively. If we have more participants we will get more views and that will enrich our Satsang. I also request respected Acharyas here to please help us in our effort. There are different ways you can participate in this discussion.

Category 1. You would like to be an integral part of this study group and will be commited to study. You will be posting verses, writing your thoughts/reflections/references on verses regularly. I will count on you to be regular and will call you out for contributing.

Category 2. You would like to be a casual contributor because you are very interested in participating but cannot devote regular time. You will participate as and when you have time. I will not call you out for any time critical tasks like posting verses. You are very welcome to contribute/ask questions anytime as long as you stick to guideline above and keep your posting relevant to the ongoing discussion.

Category 3. You are an Acharya or Brahmachari or Swamiji or knowledgeable Vedanta Scholar of Chinmaya Mission. You would like to provide guidance to us or give pointers to us when you have time. We will be very grateful to you ! You may remain anonymous without revealing your identity if that's what you like, as long as you identify yourself in category 3.

Please specify which category you would like to join. A brief introduction about you will be helpful too.

The existing Category 1 members are
Muruganji
Sathyavathiji
Priyaji
Sujaji
Nikhil
Dr Lakshmi

The existing Category 2 members are
Jayasri ji
Uma Kishan

These members need not introduce themselves again. Any new members are welcome and should introduce and participate in this satsang.

Looking forward to everyone's active participation and enriching the learning experience from this forum.

Regards
Arvind Kannan
Arvind

Re: Gita Chapter 11 - Vishwa Rupa Darsana Yoga

Postby Arvind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Hari Om,

Let us now see the Slokas 1-4 of this Chapter.

Word and Sloka Meaning :Arvind
HGRR : Kishan
Reflections : Everyone.

Pranaams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Sloka 1
अर्जुन उवाच
मदनुग्रहाय परमं गुह्यमध्यात्मसञ्ज्ञितम्‌ ।
यत्त्वयोक्तं वचस्तेन मोहोऽयं विगतो मम ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
मद = out of for me
अनुग्रहाय = compassion
परमं = the Highest
गुह्यम = the secret
अध्यात्म सञ्ज्ञितम्‌ = concerning the knowledge of the Self
यत्त्वयोक्तं = which by you has been spoken
वचस्तेन = these words
मोहोऽयं = the delusion
विगतो = has gone
मम = of Me

Full Sloka Meaning:
By this word of the Highest secret concerning the Self, which you have spoken out of compassion towards me, my delusion is now gone.

Sloka 2
भवाप्ययौ हि भूतानां श्रुतौ विस्तरशो मया ।
त्वतः कमलपत्राक्ष माहात्म्यमपि चाव्ययम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
भवाप्ययौ = the origin and dissolution
हि = indeed
भूतानां = of all beings
श्रुतौ = have been heard
विस्तरशो = in detail
मया = by me
त्वतः = from you
कमलपत्राक्ष = O Lotus eyed one
माहात्म्यमपि = greatness also
चाव्ययम्‌ = and inexhaustible

Full Sloka Meaning:
The origin and destruction of beings, verily, have been heard by me in detail from You, O Lotus eyed Krisna, and also Your inexhaustible greatness.

Sloka 3
एवमेतद्यथात्थ त्वमात्मानं परमेश्वर ।
द्रष्टुमिच्छामि ते रूपमैश्वरं पुरुषोत्तम ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
एवमेतद्यथात्थ = thus this as described
त्वमात्मानं = by Yourself
परमेश्वर = O Lord
द्रष्टुमिच्छामि = I wish to see
ते = your
रूपमै = form
श्वरं = (that is) sovereign
पुरुषोत्तम = O Purusottama

Full Sloka Meaning:
O Supreme Lord! As you have thus described Yourself, I wish to see (Actually) Your Form Divine, O Purusottama.

Sloka 4
मन्यसे यदि तच्छक्यं मया द्रष्टुमिति प्रभो ।
योगेश्वर ततो मे त्वं दर्शयात्मानमव्ययम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
यदि मन्यसे = If you think
तच्छक्यं = that it is possible
मया = be Me
द्रष्टुमिति = to see
प्रभो = O Lord
योगेश्वर = O Lord of Yogas
ततो = then
मे त्वं = to me
दर्शयात्मानम = you show (your) Self form
अव्ययम्‌ = that is imperishable

Full Sloka Meaning:
If you, O Lord, think it possible for me to see It, do You please, then, O Lord of Yogas, show me your Imperishable Self- form.
Hari Om
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 am

VERSE-1
Arjuna's delusion or ignorance consisted in his lack of full knowledge of virtues, glory ,power
and being of God. Through the above teaching of the Lord he has now partially realized these
virtues, glory, power, mystery and reality of God and come to know that Sri Krisna is God himself. Arjuna's heart was filled with joy, love and gratitude when he heard the divine glory of God, who is an ocean of love.

Verse-2
It is from God that all animate and inanimate beings emanate. It is by Him that they are maintained and in to him that they all enter. Though creating ,maintaining and destroying thewhole universe, God is in reality the non doer and remains wholly untouched by the virtues and vices of things.Arjuna was happy to know all these truth from the Lord.

Verse-3
Arjuna continues further confirming that all Lord Krishna has stated is verily absolute truth and he has no doubt about it. But, out of curiosity he desires to see the Lord's resplendent Viswarupa or divine universal form endowed with all knowledge , all power, all majesty, all dominion and all splendor.

Verse-4
The supreme Lord Krishna is being requested to show his Viswarupa or divine universal form
only if he thinks it is appropriate; not because Arjuna is curious to see it. the supreme Lord is being asked in a mood of humility to reveal his transcedental universal form and thus will consider showing it.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Sloka 1
Bhagavan in order to remove the delusion of Arjuna has imparted the teaching of the Bhagavad Gita, the main topic being the Knowledge of the Self.
The delusion of Arjuna (and of all the Jivas) is the myopic vision which is not able to see the unity of all beings, but sees them as separate and separate. This is "moha", delusion. Therefore Arjuna identified with the body, vieled by the three Gunas of Prakriti, saw those on his side as his friends and those opposing him as his enemies. It is this myopic vision of Arjuna that the Lord broke.
Bhagavan has in the earlier Slokas explained the Knowledge of the Self to only show this foolish notion of all jivas and how we are leading our lives based on this delusion.
Arjuna therefore thanks the Lord who out of compassion to his devotee, wakes them up from the slumber of ignorance.

Sloka 2
It is always important that a student also reiterates what he has understood as far as the teaching goes. Here we find Arjuna stating the sum and substance of the Lord's teaching- the unity of vision in the diversity of names and forms that we see. Everything has emerged from the Lord, stays in the Lord and goes back to Him. Hence there is no duality in essence. Though in ignorance we see all as separate from one another- namely the Pandavas, Kauravas and so on, they have all come from the Lord, and go back to Him.

Sloka 3&4
There is a lot of difference between knowing something with conviction and actually experiencing it. Though Arjuna says his delusion is gone, he has not actually experienced this unity of vision. Hence first he demands, and then requests the Lord to demonstrate this Vision if he is found suitable to see / experience it. This shows Arjuna was ready, if the Lord felt, ready to undergo any other spiritual practice before the Lord felt ready to show him the Divine Form.
There is a difference between a verbal description and experiencing it. We can hear or read about the Himalayas and the river Ganges flowing in all majesty, but to actually see it - that is something else. Similarly to hear about the knowledge of the Self and even getting convinced at the level of the intellect is different, but actual experience is different. Hence the request of Arjuna.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 pm

VERSE 1
Arjuna is thankful to lord for the supreme teachings .He felt blessed indeed for the great teachings- knowledge of the self imparted by lord and expresses his gratitude . Like all of us Arjuna was also persecuted by the multiplicity of world of beings and the description of the vibutis gave him a clear picture of the unity behind the world of multiplicity whereby his delusion is gone

Verse2
The sincere Student in arjuna now describes the essence of the teachings he has understood .he is convinced about the greatness of the lord and lord being the one reality behind the origin, sustenance and dissolution of this whole cosmos.

Verse3,4
After listening to the teachings of Lord arjuna is convinced about the supreme truth and that his delusion is gone . But after knowing the power of the lord- yoga and his special manifestations – vibuthis he wanted to experience the Form of Lord which encompasses this cosmos- viswaroopa
Arjuna with deep interest,, faith and humility expresses his desire to visualize lords divine form.- “Oh lord is it possible for me to see your divine imperishable form”
lakssg

Postby Arvind » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:04 am

Hari Om,

Thanks you for the reflections on Slokas 1-4.

Now let us proceed and see Slokas 5-8.

Word to Word Meaning: Arvind
Reflections : All

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Sloka 5
पश्य मे पार्थ रूपाणि शतशोऽथ सहस्रशः ।
नानाविधानि दिव्यानि नानावर्णाकृतीनि च ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
पश्य मे= Behold My
पार्थ= O Partha
रूपाणि= forms
शतशोऽथ= by hundreds
सहस्रशः = and thousounds
नाना = of different
विधानि= sorts, varieties
दिव्यानि= divine
नानावर्णाकृतीनि = and of various colors and shapes

Full Sloka Meaning:
Behold, O Partha, My forms, by hundreds and thousands, of different sorts, and divine in nature, and of various colors and shapes.

Sloka 6
पश्यादित्यान्वसून्रुद्रानश्विनौ मरुतस्तथा ।
बहून्यदृष्टपूर्वाणि पश्याश्चर्याणि भारत ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
पश्यादित्यान् = Behold the Adityas
वसून्रुद्रानश्विनौ = the (two) Asvins, the eight Vasus and the eleven Rudras
मरुतस्तथा = and the Marutas (forty nine types of winds)
बहून्य = many
दृष्ट = never seen
पूर्वाणि = before
पश्याश्चर्याणि = wonders (you) see
भारत = O Bharata

Full Sloka Meaning:
Behold the Adityas, the Vasus, the Rudras, the (two) Asvins, and also the Marutas, behold many wonders never seen before, O Bharata!

Sloka 7
हैकस्थं जगत्कृत्स्नं पश्याद्य सचराचरम्‌ ।
मम देहे गुडाकेश यच्चान्यद्द्रष्टमिच्छसि ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
हैकस्थं = in this , centered in One
जगत्कृत्स्नं = the whole universe
पश्याद्य = now behold
सचराचरम्‌ = with the moving and the unmoving
मम देहे = in my body
गुडाकेश = O Gudakesa
यच्चान्य = and whatever else
द्द्रष्टमिच्छसि = you desire to see

Full Sloka Meaning:
Now behold, O Gudakesa, in this body, that the whole universe centered in One- including the moving and the unmoving- and whatever else you desire to see.

Sloka 8
न तु मां शक्यसे द्रष्टमनेनैव स्वचक्षुषा ।
दिव्यं ददामि ते चक्षुः पश्य मे योगमैश्वरम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
न तु = but not
मां = Me
शक्यसे = you can
द्रष्टमनेनैव = too see
स्वचक्षुषा = with your own eyes
दिव्यं = divine
ददामि = (I) give
ते चक्षुः = to you the eye (divine)
पश्य = behold
मे = Mu
योगमैश्वरम्‌ = Lordly Yoga

Full Sloka Meaning:
But you are not able to behold Me with your own eyes; I give you the divine-eye; behold My Lordly Yoga.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Schandra » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:00 am

Hari Om

Shloka 1

Arjuna expresses his gratitude to lord Krishna since His teaching so far, which has been imparted purely as an act of compassion to help Arjuna overcome delusion thereby overcoming sorrow. The teaching is glorified as the most supremely valuable since it reveals the Reality in its true sense ( Advaita) and as the most secret since there are very few sources from whom or where this can be obtained. The teaching has put an end to Arjuna's ethical conflict and philosophical confusion.

Shloka 2

Arjuna recaps what the Lord had imparted to him in the previous chapter to prove to the lord that he is not only attentive but had also grasped what was being taught. He explains that he has understood that the Lord is the very material cause of the universe and all things of name and form are from the Lord alone. The universe emerged from the Lord, rests in Him and resolves back into Him and also the greatness of the lord's Vibhuti which are inexhaustible and limitless.

Shloka 3 and 4

Having impressed upon the Lord that Arjuna has understood the Lord's teaching that the world is not separate from God, Arjuna realizes that his understanding is only at the intellectual level. He would therefore like to actually see the Vishwa Rupa darsanam to bridge the gap.
Arjuna therefore asks the Lord with all humility and reverence to give him the darsana if the Lord deems it fit.
Schandra

Postby murugans61 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Hari OM

In the first two verses, Arjuna summarises the entire teaching of Lord Krishna - the nature of jiva and the nature of God. Though Arjuna has received the teaching, he is unable to appreciate the universal form due to some mental blocks. Hence he prays to the Lord for the vision of the universal form of the Lord.
Lord Krishna agrees to bless Arjuna with the vision of the universal form. Since it is not possible to have such a vision with ordinary eyes, Krishna grants Arjuna the divine eye for this special purpose. Universal form is not a special form of the Lord. It is the Lord as the universe. As such, it is available for all at all times. The Lord need not show it. Still we miss it because of our narrow outlook of the world. Once we refine our mind and look at the universe, we can not miss the Lord. His stamp is there in all , from a blade of grass to the farthest star. Such a mind which is tuned to see the Lord is the divine eye. It is such an eye that Lord Krishna granted to Arjuna.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 am

HARI OM

VERSE-5
Being requested by Arjuna Lord reveals his divine universal form.The word pasya means behold,his hundred of thousands of radiant and dazzling transcendental manifestations inferring that he should be prepared because it is difficult to look at. He addresses Arjuna as Partha reffering to him as the son of his female devotee Prtha known as Kunthi.The word rupani meaning forms is used to express the manifestation of innumarable multifarious and multicoloured divine forms and shapes.

VERSE-6
Lord Krishna states behold enumerating a few of His Vibhutis that have been described previously such as the Adityas,Rudras etc.and all the demigods also which are able to be perceived with in his visvarupa or divine universal form. Besides these there are other unlimited forms of marvel and wonder that have never before been seen by anyone.

VERSE 7
Now lord Krishna emphasizes clearly that the total material manifestation consisting of unlimited things,animate and inanimate, moving and stationary, sentiment and insentiment all are harmoniously comprised with in only a part of his Visvarupa or universal form. Not only that but also creation, evolution,dissolution,past, present, future are also there to be seen. There should be absolutely no doubts about this reality.

VERSE 8
In this verse Lord informs Arjuna that he is not able to see His almighty visvarupa with his present eyes which are only seeing material objects with in limited dimentions. So the Lord by His power of unparalleled transcendence bestows upon him celestial vision to see the divine universal form.
sathiavathi

Postby lakssg » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:39 am

Verse 5-8

Lord Krishna addresses Arjuna compassionately- see my infinite form. The form which arjuna is going to see is not many but only one with very many components .These forms are in hundreds and thousands indicated as infinite.
In the normal sense of understanding they are all in multifarious forms - very many species from devas to microscopic organisms and all immovables. Nothing is ignoble all are significant and divine in their own way.From the innumerable varieties lord points out a few significant ones.the adithyas,the vasus, the rudras, the aswins and the maruts.lord is showing the whole cosmos in one place.
Lord tells arjuna”In this body of mine the entire world of sthavara and jangama you can see . And also see whatever else you want to see like creation , destruction present, past and future etc
Arjuna with a gross intellect was not in a position to comprehend this unity in diversity.lord understood and promises to divinise his vision whereby arjuna can see power of the Lord .
lakssg

Postby nikhil1707 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Sloka 1
This chapter reveals Krishna as the cause of all causes. He is even the cause of the Maha-Vishnu, from whom the material universes emanate. Krishna is not an incarnation; He is the source of all incarnations. That has been completely explained in the last chapter.
Now, as far as Arjuna is concerned, he says that his illusion is over. This means that Arjuna no longer thinks of Krishna as a mere human being, as a friend of his, but as the source of everything. Arjuna is very enlightened and is glad that he has such a great friend as Krishna, but now he is thinking that although he may accept Krishna as the source of everything, others may not. So in order to establish Krishna’s divinity for all, he is requesting Krishna in this chapter to show His universal form.

Sloka 2
Arjuna addresses Lord Krishna as “lotus-eyed” out of his joy, for Krishna has assured him, in the previous chapter, aham krtsnasya jagatah prabhavah pralayas tatha: “I am the source of the appearance and disappearance of this entire material manifestation.” Arjuna has heard of this from the Lord in detail

Sloka 3
O greatest of all personalities, O supreme form, though I see You here before me in Your actual position, as You have described Yourself, I wish to see how You have entered into this cosmic manifestation. I want to see that form of Yours.

Sloka 4
The Supreme Lord Krishna is being requested to show His visvarupa or divine universal form only if He thinks it is appropriate; not because Arjuna is curious to see it. The Supreme Lord is being asked in a mood of humility to reveal His transcendental universal form and thus will consider showing it.
nikhil1707

Postby Arvind » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Slokas 5-8

The earlier Chapter , Vibhuti Yoga dealt with the aspect of the Lord showing how the One Truth has become the Many. Here Bhagavan was to demonstrate and show to Arjuna the Yoga- meaning that the "Many" is nothing but the "One".

Therefore he says that see everything in Me, I have given you a limited scope of time and space within the framework of my body for you to see this entire phenomenal universe, as well as anything else that you may wish to see.

To see or understand that the One has become Many is relatively easy, but to subtly understand and come to the comprehension that the Many is nothing but the One requires a mind that is extremely subtle , pure and sharp. Therefore Bhagavan says to Arjuna- I give you the Divine eye by which you could see this Truth for yourself- that the Many is only centered in that One. Therefore the Divine Eye is not a physical one, but a divine intuition, a subtle acumen that the Lord provided to Arjuna for him to arrive at this Truth that the Many is indeed Centered in the One.

Lord Krishna starts to explain that within His visvarupa or divine universal form the 12 Adityas, the 8 Vasus, the 11 Rudras, the 2 Asvins, the 49 Maruts etc. can all be seen in the Cosmic Body of His.

Pranams
Arvind

Postby Payyubg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:08 am

Sloka 5:
Bhagawan asks Arjuna to witness for himself the various shapes , colors and forms that Bhagawan manifests himself as in the physical world of names and forms.
Arjuna in theory knows that The Lord exists In each and everything that exists around us. To actually internalize it he feels
If he can witness it first hand it would help him. So The Lord responds by enabling Arjuna to see His cosmic form.

Sloka 6:
The Lord once again enumerates what Arjuna is going to see. Bhagawan describes them as truly astonishing and never seen before. The 12 Adityas, 8 vasus,11 Rudras, and the 2 Ashwini kumars.

Sloka7:

Bhagawan describes that Arjuna is about to see the entire universe ,which is made up of movable and immovable objects , to appear within the confine of Bhagawan's body. There is no barrier of space and time since he will be able to see the every perceive able object and what lies ahead in the future also.

Sloka 8:

Bhagawan provides Arjuna with divine eyes to enable Arjuna see / perceive this extraordinary sight. Arjunas ordinary vision is inadequate to witness this unimaginable and magnificent sight. What Arjuna sees is his perception of the Supreme being, it is not just seeing through the eyes , but to comprehend on an intellectual level the concept of The Lord being the one who has with in Himself every thing.
Payyubg

Postby Arvind » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 am

Hari Om,

Thank you for your reflections on Slokas 5-8.

Let us now see Slokas 9-11.

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:25 am

संजय उवाच
Sanjaya spoke---

Sloka 9
एवमुक्त्वा ततो राजन्महायोगेश्वरो हरिः ।
दर्शयामास पार्थाय परमं रूपमैश्वरम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
एवमुक्त्वा = Thus having spoken
ततो राजन = then O King
महायोगेश्वरो = the great Lord of Yoga
हरिः = Hari
दर्शयामास = showed
पार्थाय = to Partha
परमं = the Supreme
रूपमैश्वरम्‌ = (and) the Lordly and sovereign form

Full Sloka Meaning:
Having thus spoken, O King, the great Lord of Yoga, Hari, showed to Partha His Supreme Form, as the Lord (of the Universe)

Sloka 10
अनेकवक्त्रनयनमनेकाद्भुतदर्शनम्‌ ।
अनेकदिव्याभरणं दिव्यानेकोद्यतायुधम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
अनेक वक्त्र नयनम = with numerous mouths and eyes
अनेकाद्भुत = with innumerable wondrous
दर्शनम्‌ = sights
अनेक = with many
दिव्या = divine
भरणं = ornaments
दिव्यानेको द्यतायुधम्‌ = with numerous divine weapons uplifted

Full Sloka Meaning:
With numerous mouths and eyes, with numerous wonderful sights, with numerous divine ornaments, with numerous divine ornaments uplifted.

Sloka 11
दिव्यमाल्याम्बरधरं दिव्यगन्धानुलेपनम्‌ ।
सर्वाश्चर्यमयं देवमनन्तं विश्वतोमुखम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
दिव्य = Divine
माल्याम्बरधरं = garlands, necklaces or apparels wearing
दिव्यगन्धा = divine perfumes
नुलेपनम्‌ = anointed with
सर्वाश्चर्यमयं = the all wonderful
देवम = resplendent
अनन्तं = endless
विश्वतोमुखम्‌ = with faces everywhere on all sides

Full Sloka Meaning:
Wearing divine garlands (necklaces) and apparels, anointed with divine perfumes, the all-wonderful, resplendent, boundless with faces on all sides.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:36 am

Now these Slokas are spoken by Sanjaya to Dhritharashtra. Sanjaya had the power of vision to see what was going on in the battlefield so he narrates the same to the King.

Sloka 9-
The Lord had earlier mentioned that without the Divine intuitive eye Arjuna cannot see the Divine Form of the Lord. Having granted him this "divine eye", the Lord who is none other than Sri Hari- the great Lord of Yoga himself showed to Arjuna his Supreme Form.

Sanjaya addresses Bhagavan as Lord of Yoga to indicate to the blind king indirectly that because he was 'rajah' the king he had all the power to stop the war. Where the Lord of Yoga is present, victory is for sure. In a subtle way Sanjaya wants to get this point across to Dhritharashtra as he alone had the power to stop the war.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:38 am

Sloka 10,11-
Sanjaya elaborates upon the Supreme Lord Krishna's Visvarupa or divine, universal form with the word anatam meaning unlimited refers to unlimited eyes, unlimited mouths, unlimited faces and unlimited wonders, unlimited ornaments, unlimited weapons and unlimited marvels. All are devoid of the threefold limits of time, space and form and are transcendental, self- effulgent and infinite.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby nikhil1707 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Sloka 5

Arjuna wanted to see Krishna in His universal form, which, although a transcendental form, is just manifested for the cosmic manifestation and is therefore subject to the temporary time of this material nature. As the material nature is manifested and not manifested, similarly this universal form of Krishna is manifested and nonmanifested. It is not eternally situated in the spiritual sky like Krishna’s other forms. As far as a devotee is concerned, he is not eager to see the universal form, but because Arjuna wanted to see Krishna in this way, Krishna reveals this form. This universal form is not possible to be seen by any ordinary man. Krishna must give one the power to see it.

Sloka 6

Even though Arjuna was a personal friend of Krishna and the most advanced of learned men, it was still not possible for him to know everything about Krishna. Here it is stated that humans have neither heard nor known of all these forms and manifestations. Now Krishna reveals these wonderful forms.
nikhil1707

Next

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum