Perceiving the Existence of Supreme Scientist, Lord Krishna

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Perceiving the Existence of Supreme Scientist, Lord Krishna

Postby anoop » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:07 pm

praji wrote:Who is Krishna?

In these Western countries, when someone sees the cover of a book like Krsna, he immediately asks, “Who is Krishna? Who is the girl with Krishna?” etc.

The immediate answer is that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. How is that? Because He conforms in exact detail to descriptions of the Supreme Being, the Godhead. In other words, Krishna is the Godhead because He is all-attractive. Outside the principle of all-attraction, there is no meaning to the word Godhead. How is it one can be all-attractive? First of all, if one is very wealthy, if he has great riches, he becomes attractive to the people in general. Similarly, if someone is very powerful, he also becomes attractive, and if someone is very famous, he also becomes attractive, and if someone is very beautiful or wise or unattached to all kinds of possessions, he also becomes attractive. So from practical experience we can observe that one is attractive due to 1) wealth, 2) power, 3) fame, 4) beauty, 5) wisdom, and 6) renunciation. One who is in possession of all six of these opulences at the same time, who possesses them to an unlimited degree, is understood to be the Supreme Personality of Godhead. These opulences of the Godhead are delineated by Parasara Muni, a great Vedic authority.

Thanks
anoop

Postby praji » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Existence of God: facts and figures Does God exist?

If you are a theist... you already believe in the Existence of God! If you are an atheist... you look forward to clues which would scientifically or otherwise prove the Existence of God.

Both the theories are correct. It is only saying that the glass is half full and the other half empty! Belief in the Existence of God stems from extreme faith in the system of God Almighty Creator. Being on the highest level of manifestation... human beings understand that nothing gets created on its own.
praji

Postby theself » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:36 pm

I wouldnt say the existence of God stems from faith in the Almighty creator. It is simplly, logic. If things function as they are, there are laws behind that. Some we have discovered like the law of gravitation, the nuclear forces etc. It is these laws togther that we can call God. Also, things do exist. the existence or the "isness" is God. When u say, "I am" ur confirming ur existence. That is God. In short, God is ur own Self. U dont have to have blind faith to beleive in God. But if u want to beleive that there is an Almighty who created us and call it God, that needs faith.
Another note on the title of this chat. To call Lord Krishna the supreme scientist is meaningful only if u go deeper into Gita. To the general public it is a hyperbole and we risk credibility.
theself

Postby Padmaja » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Knowing "I am" and knowing "I am everything" is not the same, for us. Our current understanding is "I am", "this is" "that is", "he is", "she is"..millions of entities 'are'. So we understand "alive, throbbing isness of our body" and "distant isness of everything else" as separate things. This gap is due to our identification with body. When we bring in God as creator in picture, we learn to put our body in the same bucket as the rest of the creation. That helps us to understand 'isness' which is substratum of all creation in theory. When we look at God as giver of Laws of universe, we learn that my movements and my actions are just like movements in the rest of the creation. This helps loosen the grip of doership and enjoyership. Now our body, our actions, our emotions and creation all fall in the same bucket.

However, there is still a gap. Knowing 'king exists' and knowing 'laws of that kingdom' is not same as 'knowing King'. Similarly, knowing "isness in creation" and knowing "laws in creation" is not same as "Knowing God". It is just a step towards that knowing. This gap can only be bridged by 'loving God' (surrender), which makes "I am" fold into "isness" and discovery "I am everything".
Padmaja

Postby vijayajayaraman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 pm

To know 'Who is Krishna' ask whom am I to know Krishna. Who want to know? Krishna is not out there. He is in all of us.
vijayajayaraman

Postby Padmaja » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

My question is - Does it matter if one asks 'who is HE' or 'who am I' ?

I ask this becasue the ones who knew Krishna the best were Gopis of Vrajabhumi. They never sat in meditation. They never focused on themselves to ask 'who am I'. Still, they attained it ! They attained it with their eyes wide open. All their thoughts focused only on Krishna to the point that they completely forgot themselves.

Even logically it makes sense that both inquries will lead to the same because if underlying principal of everything, the thread that ties you and me, is ONE, where else can it lead? Both inquiries must lead to that ONE. One can go 'inside out' or one can come 'outside in', to reconcile. All that matters is to know that the division 'inside' and 'outside' is illusion, caused by a wall called EGO. That wall needs to come down, to reveal that there are not many, there is only ONE.
Padmaja

Postby NAIR123 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 am

i understand this topic is dealt in detail by AC Bhaktivedanta , if interested please read the book ' perfect questions perfect answers', i can share this if any one wants this book, can send me personal email request for this meet_rajeshnair@yahoo.com

the opinion given by srila prabhupada convinces me, krishna is the state of consciousness and it is not that he is in us, it is that all of us are in him, but by the virtue of subtleness of lord krishna we aren't able to perceive him.
NAIR123

Postby Padmaja » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 am

Hari Om. Pranams Sri Nair ji

Yes, all of us are in the Lord. However, there are so many shades of how "something can be IN something". I think, till our mind gets subtle all these will remain only 'words'. What understands the meaning of those words is our mind and if that mind is not pure we won't know what meaning is implied by those words. Let me give some examples.

1. an oil drop is IN water (oil and water are still separate)
2. wada is IN a bowl of sambar (though wada is in sambar, sambar is also in wada, otherwise we won't eat it)
3. wave is IN the ocean (waves make the ocean, wave is part of the ocean, but both are water in essence)
4. Thought is IN Mind (We can't see Mind or thought, we only know it is there )
5. I was IN my dream last night (dreamer "I" seen by Me is not real)

If you see statements above, "In" in each statement implies different thing. That is why we need Vedanta. It systematically unfolds us by taking us through a process called 'adhyarop and apavad'. What you call as 'virtue of subtleness of lord krishna', Vedanta calls that 'Maya'. We need to study Vedanta always by invoking grace of the Lord first so He will lift His Maya and reveal Himself to us.
Padmaja

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum