Gita Study Group: Let's study Gita verse by verse ...

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Gita Study Group: Let's study Gita verse by verse ...

Postby Padmaja » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Hari Om. Prostrations.

I propose that let's study Gita here, in this forum, verse by verse, systematically. If you like this idea please respond to this post so we will know how many members are interested. We will stick to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji's Gita text for our study and Pujya Swami Advayanandaji's "Gita Ready Reference" book for our reference. The format for discussion will be to take up "one verse" at a time and write about our understanding and get our doubts resolved. I also request respected Acharyas here to please help us in our effort.

Looking forward to hearing from interested members of this forum.

Love and Regards,
Padmaja Joshi
Student of Adv E Vedanta and Easy Sanskrit Online Course
Padmaja

Re: Gita Study Group: Let's study Gita verse by verse ...

Postby meera » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 am

Hari Om Padmaja!
Pranaam to Gurudev and to Pujya Guruji and all our acharyas who have brought us here...

Would love to be a part of this.
I will also mail this out to the fewI know and we can target to begin tomorrow which is Rama Navami (Wednesday) or on Thursday which is Guru-vaar :)
Hari Om,
meera
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Hari Om
vanajaravinair

Happy Sri Rama Navami

Postby narayanan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Hari Om,

I am a CHYK from Tripunithura, Ernakulam. I am interested in taking part in the discussion as often as I can.

Regards,
Narayanan
narayanan

Postby Padmaja » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Om Shri Ganeshaya Namaha
Om Shri Saraswatyeya Namaha
Om Shri Gurubhyo Namaha

Samasta Jana Kalyane Niratam Karunamayam
Namami Chinmayam Devam Sadgurum Brahmavidvaram

Om Shri Paramatmane Namaha

My humble Pranams to all my Acharyas, participants of this forum and readers of this link. Let's begin with Gita Dhyana Shloka. Here is the transcript translated by Swami Shivananda. Please read it and think over it. There are questions given by our Acharya which we will take up for our discussion. I will post those after couple of days.

=======================================================================================================
Om parthaya pratibodhitam
bhagavata narayanena swayam
vyasena grathitam purana munina
madhye maha bharatam
advaita amrita varshineem bhagvateem
ashtadasa adhyayineem
amba twam anu sandadhami
bhagavad geete bhava dweshineem

Om, O Bhagavadgita, with which Partha (Arjuna) was illuminated by Lord Narayana Himself and which was composed in the middle of the Mahabharata by the ancient sage Vyasa, O Divine Mother, the destroyer of rebirth, the showerer of the nectar of Advaita (teaching of Oneness in all things) and consisting of eighteen chapters – upon Thee, O Bhagavad Gita! O affectionate Mother! I meditate.

namostu the Vyasa visala buddhe
phullaravinda aya tapatranetra
yena tvaya bharata tailapoornah
prajvalito jnana mayah pradeepah

Salutations unto thee, O Vyasa of broad intellect and with eyes like petals of full-blown lotus, by whom the lamp of knowledge, filled with the oil of the Mahabharata, has been lighted.

parapanna parijataya
totra vetraika panaye
jnana mudraya krishnaya
geetamrita duhe namah

Salutations to Krishna, the Parijata tree or the Kalpataru or the bestower of all desires for those who take refuge in Him, the holder of the whip in one hand, the wielder of the symbol of knowledge, and the Milker of the nectar of the Bhagavadgita.

sarvo panishado gavo
dogdha gopala nandanah
partho vatsah sudheer bhokta
dugsham geeta amritam mahat

All the Upanishads are cows; the Milker is Krishna, the cowherd boy; Partha (Arjuna) is the calf; men of purified intellect are the drinkers, the milk is the great nectar of the Gita.

vasudeva sutam devam
kamsa chanoora mardanam
devakee paramanandam
krishna vande jagad gurum

I salute Lord Krishna, the world teacher, son of Vasudeva, the destroyer of Kamsa and Chanura, the supreme bliss of Devaki.

bheeshma drona tata jayadratha jala
gandhara neelotpala
shlya graha vatee kripena vahni
karena velakula
ashwathama vikarna-ghora-makara
duryodhana avartini
sotteerna khalu pandavai rana nadee
kaivartakah keshavah

With Keshava as the helmsman, verily was crossed by the Pandavas, the battle river whose banks were Bhishma and Drona, whose water was Jayadratha, whose blue lotus was the king of Gandhara, whose crocodile was Salya, whose current was Kripa, whose billow was Karna, whose terrible alligators were Ashvattama and Vikarna, whose whirlpool was Duryodhana.

parasharya vachah sarojam amalam
geetartha gandhotkatam
nana akhyanaka kesaram harikatha
sambodhana bodhitam
loke sajjana shatpadair ahar ahah
pepeeya manam muda
bhooyad bharata pankajam kalimala
prashwamsi nah shreyase

May this lotus of the Mahabharata, born in the lake of the words of Vyasa, sweet with fragrance of the meaning of the Gita, with many stories as its stamens, fully opened by the discourses on Hari, the destroyer of the sons of the Kali age, and drunk joyously by the bees of good men in the world, day by day become the bestower of good to us.

mookam karoti vachalam
pangum langhayate girim
yatkripa tamaham vande
para manada madhavam

I salute that Madhava, the source of supreme bliss, whose grace makes the dumb man eloquent and the cripple cross mountains.

yam brahma varunendra rudramarutah
stunwanti divyaih stavaih
vedaih snaga padakarmo panishadir
gayanti yam samagah
dhyana avasthita tadgatena manasaa
pashyanti yam yogino
yasyantam na viduh sura asuragana
devaya tasmai namah

Salutations to that God, Whom Brahma, Varuna, Indra, Rudra and the Maruts praise with divine hymns, of Whom the Sama-chanters sing by the Vedas and their Angas, in the Pada and the Krama methods, and by the Upanishads, Whom the Yogins see with their minds absorbed in Him through meditation, and whose end the hosts of Devas and Asuras know not.
=======================================================================================================
Padmaja

Postby uma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:35 am

Would love to be part of this !!
uma

Postby meera » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 am

Hari Om! Pranaam to all co-students.

A little prayer to enable our joint exploration of the Gita:

"May God protect us, may we all enjoy the results (of this study). May we attain strength together. Let the
study of this (Upanishad) be illuminating to all of us. Let us not
show contempt for one another. AUM Santih Santih Santih |

If I may please add a little to the explanation above...
In the 5th stanza, .....
Vasu-deva sutam devam
Kamsa chanoora mar-dhanam
Devakee-paramaa-nandam
Krishnam vande Jagad-gurum ||5||

Krishna as the slayer of Kamsa and Chanur can also be seen as personifying the slayer of our inner demons - our raaga-dveshas, our mind based, lower self conflicts.

Let me quote from an earlier discussion where Padmaja had said beautifully, referring to Devaki's paramananda (Krishna):

"Bhagwan's smile is so beautiful that a tired mind can forget all sorrows and miseries just looking at His glorious face. The mischief and light heartedness that Bhagwan radiates makes us take life sportively. Taking life lightly means creating less impressions. He is so attractive that devotees can drop all worldly atttachments to be with Him. His love has that power. All the unnecessary fancies and thoughts that our mind indulges in can be subsided by doing chintan of Bhagwan's name."

May we take a look at stanza 6 and examine the analogies there?
meera

Postby akore2000 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Hari Om to all Devotees of the lord.

I am willing to join this forum on Geeta Study. Its my personal experience is that whenever I read or listen to any discourse It just brings silence and only silence. Sometimes the doubts or questions do come but the answer or clarification also follows immediately. I feel this knowledge expressed thr vedanta either on Geeta or any subject there is tremendous energy in it and to receive a bit of it is really a blessing.

Hari Om

Abhay
akore2000

Postby Padmaja » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:17 am

Hari Om

Dear Resp. Abhay, Daniela, Meera, Uma, Narayanan, Vanajaravi
Pranams !

Let's discuss following points -

1. Who do you think will benefit the most from study of Gita ?
2. What is the subject matter of Gita?
3. What purpose does Gita serve?
4. Why do you think Gita will benefit you?

Please post your reply. Thanks

Love and Regards,
Padmaja
Padmaja

Postby meera » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 am

Hari Om Padmaja,

These are my responses to your questions:

a. There is no most or least, everyone benefits. Are there degrees to the gains? In my opinion it depends on the state of one's inner equipment, which in any case get cleansed and honed through the study, so that everyone gains whatever the Gita offers.

b. Subject Matter: Why all you can and must do is only your duty. All else is superfluous.

c. Purpose it serves: Wakes one up from a slumber caused by misconceptions that we allow ourselves to be layered with.

d. The Gita will benefit me because I continue to see myself as separate from Bhagawan; I am looking for the way back home and only a full structured study of the Gita is going to lay out the proper map for me.
meera

Postby prema » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 am

I am new member logged in just now. Thank you for this opportunity given to us. I have been longing to have friends with whom I could discuss and fine tune my knowledge. Hope to have healthy interactions on this subject.

Regards
Prema
prema

Postby uma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Hari Om.
Pranam to all.

Padmaja..

Who will benefit most :

Gita has something or the other to say to all, even when the requirements differ. Those who look for, would definitely find answers within Gita. The benefit gained cannot be valued and compared as such.

Subject matter :

It is in the form of advice by ShreeKrishna to Arjuna on the battlefield. Mainly the advice is – "Follow Swadharma” – doing one’s own duty – duties may differ as per the family in which you are born, time, circumstances, age etc
In addition to this, it also narrates the ways to attain realization of the self.

Purpose :

Main purpose is to tell us “ How to live” and to make us realize “our own purpose in this life”

Why it would benefit me :

It contains the crux of Vedas and Upnishadas. Even after reading and understanding, there are times, when I fail to implement the teachings and give way to the various emotions and tantrums of the mind. I hope that studying, restudying, thinking and rethinking about the advice propounded in Gita, I would be able to live more fruitfully and control my mind in a better way, thus making further progress.

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

A very hearty Welcome to you Prema ! Please join us in the discussion.

- Padmaja
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

Very nice Umaji ! Resp. Abhay, Daniela, Narayanan, Vanajaravi, Meera and Prema do you agree with what Umaji just said? Do you have any additional things to add and some of your own views regarding the points under discussion based on what you have studied or heard ?
Padmaja

Postby akore2000 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Hari Om

My views are as follows

1) Mumukshu -- the one who has burning desire for liberation will benefit the most from Gita.
2) The subject matter is Self Knowledge and Lord has given us many ways to achieve it.
3) The purpose served is Purification of Mind and making oneself ready to connect the higher self through the guidance of Guru ( who is none other than Krishna himself ) to go for noble and higher goals in life like self realization.
4) Light will benefit the people who are in darkness and I am one of them.

Hari Om

ABhay
akore2000

Postby meera » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:05 am

Hari Om Pranaam!

Agree with everyone's perception of what the Gita will do for him or her...
meera

Postby Padmaja » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Abhayji, so true that the guidance is from Guru none other than Krishna. Gita Dhyanam calls Lord Krishna as "the world teacher" and says Partha (Arjuna) was illuminated by "Lord Narayana Himself" through Bhagvad Gita. It will be a great joy to study words of the Lord.

Danielaji, yes, Gita is for people like you and me, who have family to sustain and are tied in various complexities of life. Just look at the extreme drama of life in which Gita unfolded. Gita Dhyanam says "the battle river whose banks were warriors like Bhishma, Drona, whose water was cruel Jayadratha, whose blue lotus was the deceptive king of Gandhara, whose crocodile was Salya, whose current was Kripa, whose billow was archer like Karna, whose terrible alligators were Ashvattama and Vikarna, whose whirlpool was villan like Duryodhana, was crossed by Pandavas because they had Lord Keshava as the helmsman" Thank God our rivers are not that terrible so I am sure Lord will guide us through Gita lovingly.

Gita Dhyanam says "Krishna like the Parijata tree or the Kalpataru is the bestower of all desires for those who take refuge in Him" Ego is struggling hard to liberate from sorrows of finitude. Desires are just the deluded plans that our limited ego devices to get freedom. However instead of giving freedom they trap us more and more. Self in us is perfect and infinite. The more the ego surrenders to the Krisha, the Self in us, to that extent it ends the sense of desires. Upon complete surrender there are no more desires to be fulfilled.

He is also "holder of the whip in one hand, the wielder of the symbol of knowledge." With cane in one hand Krishna drives home herd of cattle. Similarly, under His assuring protection the animal ego in us doesn't stray away into sense fields. He guides and instructs Supreme Knowledge to discover our essential Personality divine.

This shloka of Gita Dhyanam sums it really nicely - All the Upanishads are cows; the Milker is Krishna, the cowherd boy; Partha (Arjuna) is the calf; "men of purified intellect" are the drinkers, the milk is the great nectar of the Gita.. Thanks everyone for your insightful inputs.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Please read "General Introduction" from Swami Chinmayanandaji's "The Bhagvad Geeta Chapter I and II" book. This part discusses misconception about Gita, discusses how purification of mind will take place, and talks about Arjuna's mental state before even he came to battle field. We need to have this clear vision before starting chapter 1. "Holy Gita Ready Reference" book has questions that bring out essence of General Introduction..we will take up questions from this book for our next discussion (after 3 days).

*** In the mean time if anybody would like to add their insights on Gita Dhyanam please do so and those who have not responded yet please do respond. If anybody has any questions on this part please do bring up those. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Padmaja

Next

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum