Gita Study Group: Let's study Gita verse by verse ...

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita Study Group: Let's study Gita verse by verse ...

Postby Padmaja » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:40 am

Hari Om. Pranams to All.

Verses for Memorization from Holy Gita Ready Reference

Verse 1
धर्मक्षेत्रे कुरुक्षेत्रे समवेता युयुत्सवः ।
मामकाः पांडवाश्चैव किमकुर्वत सञ्जय ।।
dharmakshetre kurukshetre samaveta yuyutsavah,
mamakah pandavaschaiva kimakurvata Sanjaya

What did the sons of Pandu and also my people do when, desirous to fight, they assembled together on the holy plain of Kurukshetra, O Sanjaya? (1.1)

Verse 21
हृषीकेशं तथा वाक्यमिदमाह महीपते ।
सेनयोरुभयोर्मध्ये रथं स्थापय मेऽच्युत ।।
Hrishikesham Tatha vakyamidamaha mahipate
senayorubhavormadhye ratham sthapaya me'chyuta

Arjun Said these words to Krishna (Hrshikesha), O Lord of the Earth! In the midst of the two armies, place my chariot, O Achyuta.(1.21)

Verse 29
सीदन्ति मम गात्राणि मुखं च परिशुष्यति ।
वेपथुश्च शरीरे मे रोमहर्षश्च जायते ।।
sidanti mama gatrani mukham cha parishushyati
vepathushcha sharire me romaharshashcha jayate

My limbs fail, and my mouth is parched, my body quivers and my hair stand on end.(1.29)

Verse 30
गांडीवं स्त्रंसते हस्तात्त्वक्चैव परिदह्यते ।
न च शक्नोम्यवस्थातुं भ्रमतीव च मे मनः ।।
gandivam samsrate hastattvakchaiva paridahyate
na cha shaknomyavasthatum bhramativa cha me manah

The Gandiva-bow slips from my hand, and my skin burns all over; I am also unable to stand and my mind is in a whirl, as it were.(1.30)
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:44 am

Hari OM Kamalji, Pranams.

I just posted those verses (Sorry about that. Should have done that before). Now you will be able to see that those are the verse numbers from Chapter 1 that Holy Gita Ready Reference book recommends for us to memorize. Regarding your question about Significance of memorizing those 4 particular verses - HGRR doesn't give those reasons in the book. In my understanding the reasons are below -

Verse 1: First verse of Gita. First word and and the last word of Gita are important because put together they become "Mama Dharma" (My Dharma). Also this is the only verse which Dhritarashtra gives out. Rest of the stanzas are Sanjaya's report. This verse clearly shows Dhritarashtra's love for his own children was way greater than nephews. So it brings out the 'root cause' of why war happened and who sowed the seeds of confusion in Arjuna.

The rest of the verses show BEFORE and AFTER pictures of Arjuna.

Verse 21 gives Arjuna's BEFORE picture. It shows that Arjuna was eager to start the righteous war. It shows Arjuna displaying daring, chivalry, great courage and firm determination. He calls Krishna as Achyuta means “One who does not abandon his stand" Hrishikesha means "Lord of the senses". So we can see here Arjuna was very composed and was in total control and very eager to start the war before seeing enemy lines.

Verse 29 and 30 give Arjuna's AFTER picture.

Here 'Anxiety-state-neurosis' kicks in, in Arjuna. We see in verse 29 all the physical symptoms of that manifesting. In verse 30 we see mal-adjustment displaying at his mental level. He is not able to stand and the bow literally slipped from his hand so obviously he was in no position to fight. A very dramatic change takes place. From "war ready Arjuna" he turns to "Grief stricken" Arjuna.

So these verses give root cause and the bird eye view of "Arjuna's grief" which was the theme of this chapter.

Pujya Gurudev said in one of his discourses on Gita that when a jeweler wants to display his brightest diamond he selects darkest background to display it on. Chapter 1 sets that most dramatic background by creating a toughest and most challenging situation one can ever imagine. Reading that we think "my situation is nothing compared to Arjuna's situation. My mental state is not so broken as Arjuna's. If Arjuna could recover and face challenges by listening to Gita, I should be able to come out of my challenges by studying it !" I think is that is the purpose of this whole chapter.

This chapter was really for us to reflect on our own negativities and challenges. Next chapter is about learning and then assimilating great truths of Advaita, so our study focus and the way we approach it, will be little different.

I suggest everyone ...if you have attended discourses of Chinmaya Mission Acharyas or have access to Chinmaya Mission Acharyas' discourses/notes, this will be a good time to look for them, listen to them and keep that material handy. We will be studying and taking in a lot of knowledge in chapter 2 and I hope you all share generously with others.

kamalk wrote:Namaskaar
And what are we discussing about memorizing? Are these the verse numbers of Chapter 1? Kindly explain.
And what is the significance of memorizing only these 4 verses in particular?
Regards
Kamal
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:50 am

Hari OM. Pranams to everyone.

Meeraji, I am very happy to see you. Umaji, yes... we are very lucky...our Meeraji is the editor of that newsletter. :-)

Vanaja Amma, thanks a lot for sharing Swami Brahmanandaji's Gita Chanting.

Vedaranganji, Pranams to you. You are so lucky !!! Sure, take couple of days. Looking forward to getting feedback from you also.
Padmaja

Postby kamalk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am

Padmaja wrote:Regarding your question about Significance of memorizing those 4 particular verses - HGRR doesn't give those reasons in the book. In my understanding the reasons are below

Many thanks for your posting and wonderful explanation.

Warm regards

Kamal
""Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie,
Which we ascribe to Heaven."
kamalk

Postby uma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:02 am

Hari Om. Pranam to all.

Padmajaji, really wonderful explanation. And Kamalaji, thanks for asking this question. Had never really wondered about its significance.

Vanajaji, thanks for sharing the link. Was able to listen to the verses, it does make it easier.

Vedaranganji, you are always welcome..all are in fact.

Meeraji, welcome back !

Eagerly looking forward to second chapter now

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 am

Hari Om. Pranams Everyone !

Vedaranganji has sent me indication that he would like for us to proceed.
If everybody is OK to move to Chapter 2, I will be creating a new topic for it. Please let me know. Thanks.
Padmaja

Postby kamalk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:00 am

Namaskaar

Yes ready to move on. Eagerly looking forward to it.

Regards

Kamal

Padmaja wrote:If everybody is OK to move to Chapter 2, I will be creating a new topic for it. Please let me know. Thanks.
""Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie,
Which we ascribe to Heaven."
kamalk

Postby akore2000 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Hari Om and Pranam to all devotees

Yes I am ready.

Hari Om

Abhay
akore2000

Postby vedarangan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Pranams to Padmajaji and other seekers,

As I will be in travelling for next two weeks (Prayag, Kasi, Gaya etc), I would not be able to participate in this forum regularly. As soon as I come back, I will join you all in the Jnana yagna that you are all doing. Thank you all for your kind co-operation. Very Sorry for making you wait to start the second chapter. Actually I was also waiting - why the second chapter has not yet been started by our beloved Padmaja amma.

With regards,
Vedarangan
vedarangan

Postby lakshmi7 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Hari Om!
Padmaji,
I'm interested in styding Gita verse by verse. Kindly include me in this study group
Regards
lakshmi
lakshmi7

Postby Arvind » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:27 am

Hari Om Lakshmi ji,

Thank you for your message. But the forum you have posted is an older one, not currently active.

If you want to participate in Bhagavad Gita Sloka by Sloka discussion you can join the current active forum,
which is Chapter 8. You will find this forum under the Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum.

Please post your message there. Looking forward to your active participation. If you have any questions
you can also email at "arvindkannan@chinmayavishwavidyapeeth.in".

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Hari Om Amit ji,

The current active forum is Chapter 8. Please post under that and you can take part in the discussions.

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Previous

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum