Geeta Chapter 6 Dhyan Yoga - Yoga of Meditation

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Geeta Chapter 6 Dhyan Yoga - Yoga of Meditation

Postby murugans61 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Hari OM

Thank you Vigneshji, Sathyavathiji and Ganeshji for your posts. As we have completed the posting of the verses with meanings, let us now post our individual reflections/ understanding/ study notes, on these verses 41-45 for the benifit of every one.

pranams
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm

HARI OM

VERSE-41

In this verse Lord explains what happens to the one who practices yoga and fails to attain perfection due to faults like restlessness of mind,wordly attachments,

physical ailment etc. Such a man attains the higher worlds to which men of meritorious deeds alone are entitled and subsequently takes birth in the house of

pious and wealthy man. He neither goes to hell nor takes birth in the lower forms of life.It is attachment to one's actions and their fruit which makes them

bear fruit.The length of one's residence in the higher world for enjoying the fruit of meritorious acts depends on the degree of attachment that lies hidden in his

heart.As for those who have no attachment for enjoyment and are possessed of dispassion ascend not to the higher regions but are directly born in the family of yogis.

VERSE-42

Facilities that may be obtained for the practice of yoga through birth in a family of yogis cannot be had either in heaven, or in the house of rich man,or any where

else in the world. One who is born in a family of yogis finds oneself placed from the very beginning of one's carrier in an environment which is most favourable

to the practice of yoga, so that one can start such practices very early in life. Considering the glory and greatness of illuminated souls they are born in the

family of yogis.Examples like shankara,christ,budha and other great masters can be considered as supporting this philosophical theory. such men,from their very

early youth,exhibit super human knowledge and godly wishdom.such persons are very rare to obtain in this world.They after departing from one embodyment,

immediately arrive in this world to continue their pilgrimage to perfection.

VERSE-43

This verse refers to the partial evenmindedness acquired by the practicant through the practice of yogas.The latencies of this equability pre-existing in his

mind are automatically roused by the favourable environment in which he finds his new birth.Due to the latencies of equability acquired by him in his previous birth

being roused in him,the practicant strives for god realisation with greater vigour than before.

VERSE-44

The practicant who takes birth in a rich family too feels drawn towards God and is withdrawn from wordly enjoymends by the force of the habit formed in his previous

birth.The house of wealthy men who are at the same time pious and devoted to right and virtuous conduct does not offer any opportunity to its children to get

entangled in enjoyments as the house of ordinary richman does. If for any reason the yogabhrasta falls a victim to the lure of objects of enjoyments like wife,

progeny,wealth, honour and fame etc.he is impelled by the force of habit formed in his previous birth to take up practices leading to God realization.

VERSE-45

The latencies of practice carried on by that yogabrashta in his previous birth are automatically roused as a result of taking birth in a family of yogis.The practice

carried on by him through many previous births, as well as in this birth, is responsible for this attaining perfection in yoga or reaching the culmination of his sadhana

.With the help of latencies of his previous births that he strives harder than ever in this birth and there by attains the supreme state the abode of eternal peace.
sathiavathi

Postby murugans61 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Hari OM

Thank you Sathyavathiji for the detailed reflection, which explains these verses very clearly.

Lord Krishna consoles Arjuna by asserting that a spiritual seeker can never have a bad end. The very meditation is a punyakarma capable of giving heaven and later an ideal birth for the continuation of the spiritual pursuit. The yogabhrasta, one who has fallen from the path of spirituality is reborn in a cultured , prosperous family, or may be even in the family of a saint.

Having got such a birth, he gets associated with the previous wisdom at a very early age. Irresistably drwan by the past habits, he finds his spiritual urge suddenly growing from a small flame to a huge conflagration. Committing his entire life to the spiritual pursuit and supported by the samskaras of all the previous lives, he effortlessly fulfils his mission of life.

pranams
murugans61

Postby vignesh » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 pm

These words from Lord Krishna gives an assurance to every sadhaka that their efforts will never go waste. It motivates everyone to do their best during this lifetime towards spiritual progress and removal of self ignorance.
It also explains as to why some people are born and live in a conducive atmosphere that ensures the self realization.
vignesh

Postby murugans61 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 am

Hari OM

Let us study the last two verses 46-47 under the theme "Be A Yogi".

Sathyavathiji - Verse 46
Ganeshji - Verse 47

Vigneshji - Thoughts and concepts 35 and 36

Pranams
murugans61

Postby murugans61 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:35 am

Hari OM

HAPPY DUSSEHRA AND VIJAYADASAMI

Pranams

Murugan
murugans61

Postby sathiavathi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 am

HARI OM

VERSE-46

Tapasvibhyo 'dhiko yogi jnanibhyo 'pimato' dhikah

karmibhyas cadhiko yogi tasmad yogi bhavarjuna.

yogi-- one perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with

the ultimate consciousness; matah--is considered; adhikah--superior;

tapas-vibhyah- to the performer of asceticism; adhikah api-and is superior;

jnanibhyah-to those followers of impersonal knowledge;karmibhyah-to the fructive

worker;tasmat-therefore; bhava just become; yogi-one who got perfection in yoga.

One perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the

ultimate consciousness is considered superior to the performers of asceticism

and is superior to the fol lowers of impersonal knowledge. One perfected in the science

of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness is also

superior to the fructive worker;therefore o Arjuna, just become one perfected

in the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate

consciousness.
sathiavathi

Postby sganesh0112 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Hari Om Pranams to all

6.47 Yoginaamapi sarveshaam madgatenaantaraatmanaa |
Sraddhaavaanbhajate yo maam sa me yuktatamematah |
|

Sarveshaam yoginaam – Among all yogis ; api yah – He who : Sraddhavaan – full of faith: madgatenaantaraatma – innerself merged in Me: Maam – Me; Bhajate – worships: Sa – he; me yuktaatma matah – according to me , the most devout.

“ And among all YOGIS, he who, full of faith, with his inner-self merged in ME, worships ME, is, according to ME, the most devout.”

s ganesh
sganesh0112

Postby vignesh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:16 pm

35 Who is the most devout of the Yogins?

yoginamapi sarvesam madgatenantaratmana

sraddhavanbhajate yo mam sa me yuktatamo matah

And among all Yogins, he who,full of faith, with his inner-self merged in Me, worships Me, is , according to Me, the most devout Yogin.
In this concluding stanza of the sixth chapter, the Lord declares that of all the meditators, the one who has merged his inner-self ( mind and intellect) in the Self, and endowed with sraddha ( faith) devotes himself to the Self, is the most devout of the Yogins. ( 6.47)

36) What is " bhajana"?

"Bhajana" is the attempt of the ego to pour itself out in an act of devoted dedication towards the Principle of Reality, whereby the devoted personality successfully invokes the experience that lies beyond the noisy shores of the mind-intellect equipment.( 6.47)
vignesh

Postby sganesh0112 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

VERSE-46

yogi-- one perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness; matah--is considered; adhikah--superior; tapas-vibhyah- to the performer of asceticism; adhikah api-and is superior; jnanibhyah-to those followers of impersonal knowledge; karmibhyah-to the fructive worker; tasmat-therefore; bhava just become; yogi-one who got perfection in yoga.

One perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness is considered superior to the performers of asceticism and is superior to the fol lowers of impersonal knowledge. One perfected in the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness is also superior to the fructive worker;therefore o Arjuna, just become one perfected in the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness.

Sraddhaavaanbhajate yo maam sa me yuktatamematah ||

Sarveshaam yoginaam – Among all yogis ; api yah – He who : Sraddhavaan – full of faith: madgatenaantaraatma – innerself merged in Me: Maam – Me; Bhajate – worships: Sa – he; me yuktaatma matah – according to me , the most devout.

“ And among all YOGIS, he who, full of faith, with his inner-self merged in ME, worships ME, is, according to ME, the most devout.”

And among all Yogins, he who,full of faith, with his inner-self merged in Me, worships Me, is , according to Me, the most devout Yogin.

In this concluding stanza of the sixth chapter, the Lord declares that of all the meditators, the one who has merged his inner-self ( mind and intellect) in the Self, and endowed with sraddha ( faith) devotes himself to the Self, is the most devout of the Yogins. ( 6.47)

36) What is " bhajana"?

"Bhajana" is the attempt of the ego to pour itself out in an act of devoted dedication towards the Principle of Reality, whereby the devoted personality successfully invokes the experience that lies beyond the noisy shores of the mind-intellect equipment.( 6.47)
sganesh0112

Postby sganesh0112 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

VERSE-46

yogi-- one perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness; matah--is considered; adhikah--superior; tapas-vibhyah- to the performer of asceticism; adhikah api-and is superior; jnanibhyah-to those followers of impersonal knowledge; karmibhyah-to the fructive worker; tasmat-therefore; bhava just become; yogi-one who got perfection in yoga.

One perfecting the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness is considered superior to the performers of asceticism and is superior to the fol lowers of impersonal knowledge. One perfected in the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness is also superior to the fructive worker;therefore o Arjuna, just become one perfected in the science of uniting the individual consciousness with the ultimate consciousness.

Sraddhaavaanbhajate yo maam sa me yuktatamematah ||

36) What is " bhajana"?

sganesh0112

Postby murugans61 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Hari OM

Thank you all for posting the verses and the HGRR thoughts and concepts.

Let us post our individual reflections and study notes with respect to these concluding verses.

pranams
murugans61

Postby vignesh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Yogi here means one who is firmly established in the clear vision . Lord urges Arjuna to work towards becoming that yogi who has clear vision. The sameness of vision , seeing oneself in all beings and all beings in oneself, is all part of that clear vision.

Such a person meditates on the one who is everything, the one who is the cause of the world and who is not separate from the jiva-atma. For this person , there is no separation between himself and God. For this reason, he is considered to be the most exalted among yogis.
vignesh

Postby sathiavathi » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:07 am

HARI OM

VERSE-46

Concluding the topic of the destiny of yogabhrasta, inthis verse the lord glorifies the Yogi and exhorts Arjuna to become a yogi. A tapasvi or ascetic is

one who practices renounciation of wordly enjoyments accompanied by sense-control, and endurance of all sufferings connected with mind, senses and body,

as a form of religious duty and with an interested motive.Jnanibhya in this context refers to the man of learning who has understood things with the help of

his intellect and reason and in the light of scriptures and teachings of the precepter.Karmibhyah stands for those who perform sacrifice,worship,charity,

service and other noble actions enjoined by the scriptures, with the motive of obtaining wife progeny,wealth and the enjoyments of other worlds.Lord

declares that a yogi who has attained perfection in the shape of evenmindedness is superior to the ascetic,jnanisand karmis.Therefore,Lord exhorts

Arjuna to become to the status of a yogi.

VERSE-47.

lORD IS glorifying his devotee in this verse.He appears to say that the ascetic,the man of knowledge,and the man of action, all are dear to him,

and dearer than all these is the yogi engaged in spiritual practice for his realization.The devotee who offers his exclucive love to him knowing

him in his entirety, and regarding him as the supreme object of love keeps his mind and intellect focussed on him day and night, without requiring,

craving for anything else,and who like a child depending on its mother, knows no one else than God, is the dearest object of his heart.Who can

be dearer to the lord than such a devotee? Lord considers him to be the best devotee and the best yogi.
sathiavathi

Postby meera » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT

Hari Om!

A new and interesting forum has been started today under the Advanced Vedanta section of this Discussion Forum.

Starting today every 2-3 days a concept from the Advanced Vedanta course lesson will be presented in the form of a dialogue between a student and a teacher.

These are those words and terms that have the potential to be misunderstood or less understood.

Do visit...

Hari Om.
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Hari OM

All those who practise meditation, concentration and purification of the mind are good yogis. A purified mind easily gets whatever it wants to own. Instead of turing his powerful mind on mundane things, Yogi devotes himself to the worship of Iswara, the Supreme Goal. There is no higher state than this to be attained by man.

The characteristics of Jivatman, the individual soul, have so far been eloborated in the first six chapters. To what extent the Jivatman can elevate himself has also been enumerated. There is no purpose superior to the devotion to the Lord, to which the highly evolved soul can apply himself. The next six chapters are devoted to the definition of Iswara and the development of Bhakti. The last stanza in this chapter gives the link between the first six chapters and the second six chapters. It is indicated here that the development of one form of yoga into another is natural and sponteneous. Karma yoga evolved into Raja yoga, and this again is going to evolve into Bhakti yoga.

Thank you Umaji, Sathyavathiji, Ganeshji and Vigneshji for your regualar contribution and participation in this forum.

Arvind Kannan Ji will join us from the next chapter and he will be our moderator of the forum. Let us all continue our dedication and love towards the process of continous learning of Bhagavad Gita through this online satsang.

pranams
murugan
murugans61

Previous

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum