Gita Study Group:Chapter 2:Sankhya Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Gita Study Group:Chapter 2:Sankhya Yoga

Postby Padmaja » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:44 am

Hari Om. Prostrations.

With Bhagvan's grace, Pujya Gurudev and Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji's blessings, we successfully completed systematic study of first chapter of Gita, Arjuna's Grief, Arjuna Vishad Yoga.

Let's now study next chapter, Chapter 2, Sankhya Yoga or the Yoga of Knowledge.

Guidelines: We will stick to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji's Gita text for our study and Pujya Swami Advayanandaji's "Gita Ready Reference" book for our main reference. Additional references only from Chinmaya Mission Acharya's discourses/CDs/DVDs/Shankara Bhashya will be allowed and appreciated. We will take up the verses according to the thought flow for our discussion.

Since we are starting a new topic I invite all readers to come forward and join this discussion actively. If we have more participants we will get more views and that will enrich our Satsang. I also request respected Acharyas here to please help us in our effort. There are different ways you can participate in this discussion.

Category 1. You would like to be an integral part of this study group and will be commited to study. You will be posting verses, writing your thoughts/reflections/references on verses regularly. I will count on you to be regular and will call you out for contributing.

Category 2. You would like to be a casual contributor because you are very interested in participating but cannot devote regular time. You will participate as and when you have time. I will not call you out for any time critical tasks like posting verses. You are very welcome to contribute/ask questions anytime as long as you stick to guideline above and keep your posting relevant to the ongoing discussion.

Category 3. You are an Acharya or Brahmachari or Swamiji or knowledgeable Vedanta Scholar of Chinmaya Mission. You would like to provide guidance to us or give pointers to us when you have time. We will be very grateful to you ! You may remain anonymous without revealing your identity if that's what you like, as long as you identify yourself in category 3.

Looking forward to hearing your interest. Please specify which category you would like to join. A brief introduction about you will be helpful too.

With humble Pranams,
Padmaja Joshi
Student of CIF (Foundation E Vedanta, Advanced E Vedanta, Easy Sanskrit Online Course)
Padmaja

Re: Gita Study Group:Chapter 2:Sankhya Yoga

Postby uma » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:32 am

Dhanyavaad Padmajaji.

For the sake of new readers :

I am Uma Patki, Mumbai.

Would love to be in Category 1 for this Chapter 2, Sankhya Yoga study.

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby Padmaja » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

Thanks Umaji.
Little introduction about myself -
I am from San Jose area in USA. Br. Prabdoh Chaitanya is our resident Acharya here. I attended Gita discourses given by him. I listen to Pujya Guruji Swami Tejomayanandaji's discourses when he visits here (at least 2 weeks in a year) and also his CDs and DVDs a lot. Also, Swami Ishvarananda has given really good discourses on Gita. They were webcasted from Los Angeles. For our study I might be referring to those also.
Padmaja

Postby murugans61 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am

Hari OM

Pranams to everyone. Thank you all for the valubale inputs during our Chapter 1 study. The learning from this forum is immense and look forward to the Chapter 2 discussions as "Active Category" member.
I am a student of CIF Foundation and Advanced E Vedanta courses. Currently working in Doha, Qatar.
Pranams
Murugan
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:09 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

I encourage all study group participants of Chapter 1 to introduce themselves here again along with category. This is solely for technical reasons as the readers of this thread might not read the previous thread.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 am

Hari OM. Humble Prostrations to Everyone...

Without any further dealy let's start chapter 2.

Om Shri Ganeshaya Namaha
Om Shri Saraswatyeya Namaha
Om Shri Gurubhyo Namaha

Om Saha navavatu
Saha nau bhunaktu
Saha viryam karavavahai
Tejasvi navadhitamastu
ma vidvishavahai
Om Shantih Shantih Shantih

May we be protected.
May we be nourished.
May we acquire the capacity (to study and understand the scriptures).
May our studies be brilliant.
May we not quarrel with each other.
OM Peace ! Peace ! Peace !

Samasta Jana Kalyane Niratam Karunamayam
Namami Chinmayam Devam Sadgurum Brahmavidvaram
(Prostrations to Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayanandaji !)

mookam karoti vachalam
pangum langhayate girim
yatkripa tamaham vande
paramananda madhavam

(I salute that Madhava, the source of supreme bliss, whose grace makes the dumb man eloquent and the cripple cross mountains. )

|| Om Shri Paramatmane Namaha ||
Atha Dviteeyodhyayah
Sankhya Yogah
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:34 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Sankhya Yoga- The Yoga of Knowledge
CHAPTER 2

In this second chapter Bhagwan introduces the three paths to attaining liberation and shows how these paths are interconnected.

Verses 1 to 10 - Circumstances under which Arjuna surrenders to Lord Shri Krishna.
Verses 11 to 46 - Digest of Sankhya Yoga philosophy
Verses 47 to 60 - Exhaustive (though hasty) sketch of the 'Yoga of Action' (Karma Yoga)
Verses 61 to 70 - Path of Love (Bhakti Yoga)
Verses 71 to 72 - Path of Renunciation (Sanyasa Yoga)

Thus Second chapter is the epitome of the entire Geeta.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:47 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Let's study first 3 verses. For verse assignments, can you please post the verse, word meaning, verse meaning and brief summary of Pujya Gurudev's commentary. Thank You.

Verse 1 - Umaji
Verse 2 - Abhayji
Verse 3 - Vanaja Amma

Holy Gita Ready Reference

Q. 1 and Q. 2 (page 25) - Padmaja
Selection for Reflection (1, 2, 3 - page 39,40) - Muruganji

Verse for memorization: Verse 3 - ALL Participants and Readers
Padmaja

Postby uma » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:06 am

Humble Pranam to Swami Chinmayanandji, Guru Tejomayanandaji and to all sadhakas !

First verse of second adhyaya

Tam tathaa krupayaviShTam AshrupoorNakulkShaNam |
viSheedantam idam vaakyam uvaach madhusudana ||1||

तं तथा कृपयाविष्टमश्रुपूर्नाकुलेक्षनम |
विशीदन्तमिदम वाक्यमुवाच मधुसूदन ||१||
( As this has not come out grammatically correct, have written it in English as well )

Tam – to him, tathaa – thus, krupaya – with pity, aavishtam – overcome, ashrypurnaakulekshanam – with eyes filled with tears and agitated, vishidantam – despondent, idam – thus, vaakyam – speech, uvaach – spoke, madhusudan: - Madhusudan

To him who was thus overcome with pity and despondency, with eyes full of tears and agitated, Madhusudana ( the destroyer of Madhu ) spoke these words.

The opening verse is by Sanjaya, describing the complete picture of Arjuna’s sad condition. Arjuna was overridden by the circumstances and was not clearly the master of the situation. He had become totally impoverished within, with deep fissures into his character and was weeping like a simple maiden. Climax in the attack of hysteria is tearless weeping. And to such Arjuna, who had reached this climax, Madhusudana is now addressing in the following words ( in the next verse )

Regards

Uma
uma

Postby satish » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:27 am

Hari Aum!!
PranAms to all.

Sorry for the delayed entry, but i would like to participate in this Gita Forum as a Category 2 participant. I am currently from Sharjah area of UAE and belong originally to Ernakulam (Kochi), Kerala India. A SW engineering manager by 'material' profession.

Look forwad to an enlightening exchange of 'knowledge of the highest order'.
satish

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:41 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

Satishji, a very hearty welcome to you in Gita Study Group !!! Looking forward to your enlightening posts.
Padmaja

Postby vanajaravinair » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Hari Om

Pranams to all.

For the sake of new-comers :

I am Vanaja Ravi Nair, Dombivli, near Mumbai.

Would love to be in Category 1 for this Chapter 2, Sankhya Yoga study.

Regards and love,

Vanaja
vanajaravinair

Postby akore2000 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Hari Om,
Pranam to all devotees

I am Abhay Kore , would like to be in category 1, a student of Advanced E vedanta course, presently residing in Ivory Coast.

Hari Om

Abhay
akore2000

Postby akore2000 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Hari Om

Verse 2

Sri-Bhagavan uvaca
kutas tva kasmalam idam visame samupasthitam
anarya-justam asvargyam akirti-karam arjuna

The Blessed Lord said: Whence is this perilous condition come upon thee, this
dejection, un-Aryan like, heaven-excluding, disgraceful, O Arjuna.

The Lord of the Hindus is surprised to see that a King, claiming to be an Aryan, is feeling so flabbergasted on the battlefield. The instinct of a true Aryan is to be balanced and equipoised in all conditions of life and to face situations diligently, compelling them to change their threatening attitude and make them favourable to himself. When life is courted properly, even the ugliest situation can be transformed into a charming smile of success. Everything depends upon the intelligent man's dexterity in steering himself upon the bumping roads of life.
Thus, Lord Krishna characterises Arjuna's behaviour as un-Aryan. The Aryans are extremely sensitive to the higher calls of life, righteousness and nobility, both in thought and action.
The Divine Charioteer is quite surprised at discovering such an attitude in his friend, whom he had known for years through thick and thin. The mood of dejection was, in fact, quite alien to the mental make-up and intellectual nature of Arjuna. Thus, we have here an expression of wonder and the Lord asks, "Whence comes upon thee this dejection, etc..."
It is believed by the Hindus that to die fighting for righteousness is the duty of one born in a family of kings and by so sacrificing his life on the battle-field for a noble cause, he reaches and enjoys the Heaven of the Heros ( Veera-Swarga ).

Hari Om

Abhay
akore2000

Postby vanajaravinair » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Hari Om

क्लैब्यं मा स्म गमः पार्थ नैतत्त्वय्युपपद्यते।
क्षुद्रं हृदयदौर्बल्यं त्यक्त्वोत्तिष्ठ परंतप॥२-३॥

klaibya mā sma gama pārtha naitattvayyupapadyate|
kudra hdayadaurbalya tyaktvottiha paratapa||2-3||

Klaibyam = literal meaning is impotence;
the word here means the mental attitude of one who does not have either the masculine courage nor feminine enough to feel the soft emotions of hesitant desperations.
maa sma gamah = do not get
Parth = O Partha, the son of Prtha; Lord is calling Arjuna to remind him about his lineage;
also he is reminding that Partha is born from Prtha (means earth);
na = not,
ethat = this,
tvayi = in thee
upapadyathe = is fitting,
kshudram= mean,
hrudaya-daurbalyam= weakness of the heart,
tyaktvaa = having abandoned
uthisht = stand up
Paramtapa = O Scorcher of foes

Meaning according to Gurudev: "Yield not to impotence, O Partha! It does not befit thee. Cast off this mean weakness of heart! Stand up, O Scorcher of foes!"

Lord knew that Arjuna was very much brave, skilled and an efficient soldier and this strange behaviour was out of his delusion. So He asks Arjuna that it does not suit his real nature. We also are deluded in this material world, we identify ourselves with our body, mind, and intellect and do not recognize our Swaroopa. When we become too much emotional and get ensnared, and feel that we are in bondage, we require God's Grace and Guidance to come out.
Lord will remain silent as long as we go on with our blabberings and egoistic arguments, etc. But when we become desperately in need of help, He comes down out of compassion, even unasked, rushes towards us to dispel our self-ignorance.
vanajaravinair

Postby Padmaja » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

Holy Gita Ready Reference:

Terms and Definitions

1. What does the word 'Madhusudana' mean?
A. Slayer of the demon Madhu (2.1)

2. If a warrior dies fighting in battle for a righteous cause, he is said to reach ______ svarga*.
A. Vira (2.2)
* It is believed by the Hindus that to die fighting for righteousness is the duty of one born in a family of kings and by so sacrificing his life on the battle-field for a noble cause, he reaches and enjoys the 'Heaven of the Heroes' (Vira Svarga).
Padmaja

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:44 am

Hari Om

The Demon 'Madhu' within is our EGO, which is very sweet for each one of us. We may not be able to kill this demon on our own, which we always love and cherish. So Lord Krishna is called Madhusudhana because he helps us to evolve by removing our sweetest ego within.

Pranams,
Vanaja
vanajaravinair

Postby Padmaja » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:54 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

Thanks Vanaja Amma for giving significance of Madhusudan. Madhu also refers to 'soft attachments'. They are more difficult for us to break because they are not so obvious. We often fail to recognize them as danger. An example of bumble bee (Bhramara) is given for this. Bumble bee can make a hole in the bark of a tree but when it gets trapped in the lotus flower (lotus flowers close at sunset) it doesn't even try to escape, thinking lotuses will open in the morning, and then it will escape. However in the night the elephants come to drink water trampling lotuses by the pond and bumble bee gets crushed and dies.

Once Muruganji, posts "selections for reflection" from the Gita Ready Reference book, I will string the verses together and we will begin our discussion properly. Please prepare to write your thoughts on these verses in the mean time. Thanks.
Padmaja

Postby meera » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am

Hari Om and pranaam to everyone here.

I am meera, resident in Bangalore.
I will stay with category II for sometime as the challenges continue. Do not wish to cause delays , hence...

But I will come by weekends and read and if I have a question I will like to ask; and if I have something relevant to say, I would like to post. So I am very much here, except on weekends only...God willing I should find it in me to manage this as well later.
Prayers and pranaams to Gurudev and Pujya Guruji for guidance and wisdom.

Prayers for Padmaja's stamina and strength to be able to steer this forum. Kindly feel free to ask me to be back up in case you need that.

Love to all,
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Hari Om
Thank you Padmajaji. You are right.

"Madhu also refers to 'soft attachments'. They are more difficult for us to break because they are not so obvious. We often fail to recognize them as danger".

The ego is the culprit in attachments also. 'I am the doer and I am the enjoyer', when actually He is the Knower of all the experiences joys or sorrows, but we the Self-ignorant people think that I am doing, I am enjoying, this is mine, etc. This I-ness and My-ness arises from our ego. The reasoning behind every attachment is, according to Gurudev "so long as you contribute to my happiness - I love you"!
vanajaravinair

Next

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum