Sanskrit Words Antakshari - Enrich Vocabulary fun way ...

For registered Online Ignou Sanskrit students only. Post your queries and doubts arising out of the lessons and debate with other students from the world over. May be periodically moderated by an Acharya.
Forum rules
For registered Online Ignou Sanskrit students only. Post your queries and doubts arising out of the lessons and debate with other students from the world over. May be periodically moderated by an Acharya.

Re: Sanskrit Words Antakshari - Enrich Vocabulary fun way ...

Postby Padmaja » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Dear Mangesh-ji, Namaste.
This is wonderful ! Thank you. Yes, you got the last letter right. Om is really A U M so M is the last letter and Mangal is a great word. One request - please write the word in English as well because some readers cannot read devanagari. All those who are reading this, you don't need to be enrolled in any course to participate in Atakshari, please join in the fun.
====================================================================
Last letter of word Mangal is L (ल) so my next word that starts with L (ल) is -

लेखनी Lekhanii - a Pen

[ Apte dictionary gives one other meaning as 'a spoon' never heard of that]

Next Letter for you all (consonant sound wise) N न - please give a sanskrit word with meaning that starts with letter N न !

*** Well..the word really ends with a vowel ii ई so if you can give a word that starts with ii ई also it will be a bonus but it is optional. We will be playing with last consonant.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

Last consonant of your word नरः - naraH - Man (singular) is Ra र so my next word that starts with Ra र is -

रिपुः RiupuH - Enemy.

(This word looks like word 'GuruH गुरुः' the plural of which is 'GuravaH गुरवः' so I think following same pattern the plural of रिपुः RiupuH will be 'RipavaH - रिपवः')

Your turn...the next letter for you is 'Pa प' so please give word that starts with 'Pa प'.
==========================================================================
Mangeshji, I like your idea of giving plural also, that way we will learn more. How about gender also whenever possible? e.g. feminine of "NaraH नरः - Man" is "Nari नारी - Woman ".

Thank You for pointing out forum rules. I will check on that. Everybody has access if they want to post in this forum. If they participate, I am sure they would like to join the certification also.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:30 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Word starting with 'Va' is

वा Vaa - Or

- It is one of the indeclinables (अव्ययानि) that remains unchanged in all numbers, cases and genders.

the next letter for you will be 'va' again :D
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:39 pm

Hari OM. Pranams.

युवकः yuvakḥ - A youth, young man.

Feminine gender: युवतिः yuvatiḥ - A young lady

Next Letter: क Ka
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

परीक्षा Pariksha - Examination, test, trial

Next Letter: क्ष Ksh
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

तथा tathā - So, thus, in that manner/And also, so also, as well as /True, just so, exactly so

Next Letter: 'Tha' थ but it might be difficult to find words starting with थ, so feel free to take next letter as vowel 'AA' आ
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

कटकः kaṭtakahḥ - A bracelet of gold

Next letter 'Ka' क
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:28 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

रोषः rōṣḥ - Anger, wrath, rage

Next Letter: षः Sh, feel free to take श Sh instead..

***** By the way I checked about the rules to participate. The forum is open to ALL to participate. One doesn't have to be certificate student.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

शाखा śākhā - 1 A branch (as of a tree) 2 An arm. 3 A party, section, faction. 4 A part of subdivision of a work. 5 A school, branch, sect. 6 A part or division of an animal. 7 A school or traditional recension of the Veda, the traditional text followed by a school 8 A branch of any science.

Next letter: Kha ख

===============
Something beautiful I heard about root of word शाखा Shakha (Branch of tree). श Sha means Shayan (sleeping) and ख Kha means Akash (Space, sky) so "The one who sleeps in Sky" is शाखा Shakha. What a beautiful poetry in two letter word !!!

Magesh ji, I am a student also, so how can I check your translation? My understanding is -

इच्छामि ichchAmi - desire.
That/ It - 'Tat' तत् (not 'Tad' तद्)
The sandhi of तत् + अहम् according to one sandhi rule called jashtva is तदहं "Tadaham". When consonant is followed by vowel it takes the third letter of the group (त थ )
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Word starting with Ta त -

तत्त्वम् tattvam (Sometimes written as तत्वम्) - 1 True state or condition, fact; -2 Truth, reality; -3 True or essential nature; -4 The real nature of the human soul or the material world as being identical with the Supreme Spirit pervading the universe. -5 A true or first principle. -6 An element, a primary substance; -7 The mind. -8 Sum and substance. -9 Slow time in music. -10 An element or elementary property. -11 The Supreme Being. -12 A kind of dance. -13 The three qualities or constituents of every thing in nature (सत्त्व, रजस् and तमस्). -14 The body;

Next Letter: म् Ma
=========================================

Mageshji, I too look up in dictionary :D
My dictionary shows -
खातिः khātiḥ - Digging, excavating. However, similar word is there with meaning "reputation" it is -
ख्यातिः khyātiḥ - Renown, fame, reputation, glory, celebrity.

I will be away in December for 3 weeks also.
Padmaja

Next

Return to Certificate Programme in Sanskrit (IGNOU)