Sanskrit Words Antakshari - Enrich Vocabulary fun way ...

For registered Online Ignou Sanskrit students only. Post your queries and doubts arising out of the lessons and debate with other students from the world over. May be periodically moderated by an Acharya.
Forum rules
For registered Online Ignou Sanskrit students only. Post your queries and doubts arising out of the lessons and debate with other students from the world over. May be periodically moderated by an Acharya.

Re: Sanskrit Words Antakshari - Enrich Vocabulary fun way ...

Postby Padmaja » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:07 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

निश्चयः Nischayḥ - 1 Ascertainment, investigation, inquiry. -2 A fixed opinion, settled or firm conviction, firm belief. -3 A determination, resolution, resolve; -4 Certainty, positiveness, positive conclusion. -5 Fixed intention, design, purpose, aim;

Next Letter: Ya य
====================
Yes, we will continue this after vacation in January. Regarding discrepancies in the dictionaries, I am also not sure. I am using The Practical Sanskrit-English dictionary of Prin. V.S. Apte. I found it online. Here is the link http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/apte/
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

शर्करा śarkarā - 1 Candied sugar; -2 A pebble, gravel, small stone; -3 Gravelly mould; -4 Soil abounding in stony fragments, sand; -5 A piece, fragment; -6 A potshered. -7 Any hard particle, as in hail. -8 The disease called gravel. -9 Golden earth

Next Letter: Ra र
===============================================
Thanks for sharing dictionary. It's very simple to use and very useful for quick lookup. Since note at the bottom of it says "the correction process has not yet been finished." I will refer to Prin. Apte's dictionary as well, that way will get to learn more meanings.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

ननु nanu - 1 Inquiry or interrogation; -2 Surely, certainly, indeed, is it not indeed (with an interrogative force); -3 Of course, indeed, certainly -4 It is used as a vocative particle meaning 'O', 'Oh', -5 It is used in propitiatory expressions in the sense of 'pray', 'be pleased';-6 It is sometimes used as a corrective word like the English 'why' or 'I say';-7 In argumentative discussions ननु is frequently used to head an objection or advance a contrary proposition (generally followed by उच्यते);

Next Letter: N न
======================
Thanks for giving alternative letter.
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:33 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

कदा kadā - When, at what time; when connected with a following अपि it means 'now and then', 'at times', 'sometimes', 'at some time'; न कदापि never; with a following चन it means 'at some time', 'one day', 'at one time or another', 'once'; with a following चित् it means 'at one time', 'once upon a time', 'at some time or other'; अथ कदाचित् once upon a time; कदाचित्-कदाचित् 'now-now'

Next Letter for you Da द
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:40 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

यज्ञः yajñḥ - 1 A sacrifice, sacrificial rite; any offering or oblation; यज्ञेन यज्ञमयजन्त देवाः; तस्माद्यज्ञात् सर्वहुतः ;यज्ञाद् भवति पर्जन्यो यज्ञः कर्मसमुद्भवः Bg.3.14. -2 An act of worship, any pious or devotional act. (Every householder, but particularly a Brāhmaṇa, has to perform five such devotional acts every day; their names are :-- भूतयज्ञ, मनुष्ययज्ञ, पितृयज्ञ, देवयज्ञ, and ब्रह्मयज्ञ, which are collectively called the five 'great sacrifices'; -3 N. of Agni. -4 Of Viṣṇu;

Next Letter: jñḥ ज्ञ

===================================================================
Magesh ji, we need to keep track of 'used words' so they don't get repeated. You mentioned that you are keeping record of these words. One way to manage used words would be that - you can paste all used words (not the meaning etc.) at the bottom of the post and we can go on adding the word to it while responding. Do you have any other suggestion?
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:06 am

Hari OM. Pranams.

तादात्म्यम् tādātmyam - Sameness of nature, identity, unity; नयनयोस्तादात्म्यमम्भोरुहाम् Bv.2.81; भगवत्यात्मनस्तादात्म्यम् ( ** need to figure out this sandhi)
======================================================================
Thanks Mageshji ! I prefer b) Have it at the bottom of every message

We can add the word to the list as soon as we present it so it will be self-sustaining. It will be easier if it is arranged alphabetically for lookup. Thanks Again !
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

धेनुः dhēnuḥ A cow, milch-cow

Next Letter: Na न
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wow.. Looks great ! Thank you so much Mageshi ! That was lot of work. I can rearrange if you want. Do you want me to?
Padmaja

Postby Padmaja » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Hari Om. Pranams.

मही mahī - Earth

Next Letter: ह Ha
================================================================
Very sorry for the delay Mageshji, was tied up in something else. Thank you so much for arranging words and giving next letter. You have made tracking very easy. I just clicked on 'quote' button and retained words to add this latest one. I will be here for 2 days then I am travelling and will be back after 2nd Jan.
================================================================
ॐ,
आतङ्क,
कपि, कटकः, कारा,
खाति,
ज्ञात,
तथा, तत्त्वम्, तादात्म्यम्, त्वरितम्,
दृश्य,
नर, निश्चयः,ननु, नागरिक, नृपति:
पर्व,परीक्षा,
मङ्गल, मन, मधु , मही
युवकः, यश, यज्ञः,
रिपुः, रोषः, रमण,
लेखनी,
वा, वायु,
शाखा,शर्करा,
षोडश,
क्षत,
Padmaja

Postby nikitaisrani » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Hari om. Pranams to all and seasons greetings.

हृदय - hridaya - heart

Next word : य

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Nikita Israni, a working professional and a beginner in Sanskrit. I accidentally came across this forum and I found it extremely helpful... Especially the words, links to online dictionary and using Sanskrit on gmail :)

Thank you so much, Padmaja ji and Mangeshji. God Bless.
nikitaisrani

Postby Padmaja » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

यदा yadaa - When, at the time when; यदा यदा Whenever;

Next Letter - द Da

(Nikita ji I am very happy to have you here in Antakshari !!! Adding your word to the used words list )
=========================================================================

ॐ,
आतङ्क,
कपि, कटकः, कारा, क्षत,
खाति,
ज्ञात,
दृश्य,
पर्व,परीक्षा,
मङ्गल, मन, मधु , मही
युवकः, यश, यज्ञः, यदा
रिपुः, रोषः, रमण,
लेखनी,
वा, वायु,
शाखा,शर्करा,
षोडश,
हृदय,
Padmaja

Postby nikitaisrani » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Hari om. Pranams to all.

दक्षिणहस्तः - dakshinahastah - right hand

Next letter - त - ta

Adding my word to the existing list
Padmaja ji, please correct me if you find any mistakes :)

==========================================================
ॐ,
आतङ्क,
कपि, कटकः, कारा, क्षत,
खाति,
ज्ञात,
दृश्य,दक्षिणहस्तः
पर्व,परीक्षा,
मङ्गल, मन, मधु , मही
युवकः, यश, यज्ञः, यदा
रिपुः, रोषः, रमण,
लेखनी,
वा, वायु,
शाखा,शर्करा,
षोडश,
हृदय,
nikitaisrani

PreviousNext

Return to Certificate Programme in Sanskrit (IGNOU)