Week 5 Queries

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Week 5 Queries

Postby VarunKhanna » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Dear All,

Hari Om! Namaste!

This week we had a high dose of Sanskrit! In case you want to see the notes from this week's session, check out the Google Drive folder for Week 05 here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B275bhG7zi2zd1NsSF9Ddl9TUkU?usp=sharing

In case you missed this week's video or want to see it again, please check it out here: https://youtu.be/-IQfadqfab4

Please post all queries related to week 5 in this thread!

Much love,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Week 5 Queries

Postby kmksde1974 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Sir, My suggestion is discuss every thing in one heading.Example regarding week 5 ,all the students and the teacher must be under one heading I.e week 5. Now I observed 3 headings for week 5.please avoid this.
I feel स्थान,आभ्यन्तर , भाह्य prayatanas are to be explained physically( with body language) ,with examples.So that every student can easily remember.so that the students can apply these things in the sutras ,in future classes easily.All these technical terms are new for some students.
K.Malakondaiah
kmksde1974

Postby VivekJi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Dear Varun,

I'm familiar with a few of the more well known people that teach in the west, and their methods indeed don't use Asthadyayi like you said. It's such a rare and amazing thing you're trying to teach this way and at the same time doing it in an easily digestible format.

Like for example most western teachers will say a+i=e. On the other hand you said you would teach us such Sutras directly and show us how to decode them and use them with regard to the new terminology we used in lesson 5.

This seems a way more solid way of building a strong foundation to understands the subtleties better but in your own words could you elaborate a little further why this is the better way to go to learn proper Sanskrit and also inspire us a little?

You might want to wait with explaining this till lesson 6 or beyond but I thought I try because it's just so fascinating.

Vivek
VivekJi

Postby ianr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Varun

I am really struggling with this presentation. Would it be possible to add machine versions of your handwritten forms - I find it difficult to read your writing. In addition, would it be possible to add the international phonetic expressions to your explanations. Given this framework, we know what voiced and unvoiced means. There are the four positions of the mouth that make for the formation of vowels; there is the position of the lips, etc. This may make it possible (for me and possibly others) to tie everything together into a logical consistent framework. I am stuck at the moment..

Ian
ianr

Postby ianr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 pm

I agree with the view expressed here:clear classification would help a lot rather than have ideas dotted around all over the place. The second paragraph sounds like a message and answer that would make things 'tangible'. One thing is knowing; it is another to be able to convey these ideas to those who don't yet grasp them. I feel that there is a growing gap that will make it impossible to take part very soon. Surely, the idea is that 'every student' ought to be able to understand.

kmksde1974 wrote:Sir, My suggestion is discuss every thing in one heading.Example regarding week 5 ,all the students and the teacher must be under one heading I.e week 5. Now I observed 3 headings for week 5.please avoid this.
I feel स्थान,आभ्यन्तर , भाह्य prayatanas are to be explained physically( with body language) ,with examples.So that every student can easily remember.so that the students can apply these things in the sutras ,in future classes easily.All these technical terms are new for some students.
K.Malakondaiah
ianr

Postby VarunKhanna » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 pm

ianr wrote:I am really struggling with this presentation. Would it be possible to add machine versions of your handwritten forms - I find it difficult to read your writing. In addition, would it be possible to add the international phonetic expressions to your explanations.

Dear Ian ji,

Hari Om!

Not to worry. Keep in mind that this class was just the "dictionary" class, where we went through some important terminology all at once. It is understandable if you struggled with this class. We had to get through it so we can get to the real stuff; don't worry too much about understanding the material in this lecture so much, it is more so that this information is there somewhere before we move forward, so that you can refer to it at any time.

I'll definitely add machine versions of my handwritten forms, thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately I won't be able to add the international phonetic expressions to my explanations, but in case someone can take responsibility for that, then that would be perfect. Perhaps try asking people in the discussion forum under a new topic heading?

kmksde1974 wrote:Sir, My suggestion is discuss every thing in one heading.Example regarding week 5 ,all the students and the teacher must be under one heading I.e week 5. Now I observed 3 headings for week 5.please avoid this.

ianr wrote:clear classification would help a lot rather than have ideas dotted around all over the place.

Dear K. Malakondaiah ji and Ian ji,

If you are talking about the various topics put up by students on their own, instead of posting in the "Week 5 Queries" topic heading, please note that I have made a clear topic heading for people to post their queries related to week 5 in. But I cannot stop people from posting under new headings. I will consistently name the topic headings as "Week x Queries", so you can be sure to find the "main" discussions happening in these headings each week.

kmksde1974 wrote:I feel स्थान,आभ्यन्तर , भाह्य prayatanas are to be explained physically( with body language) ,with examples.

As for this suggestion, I have done my best to present it in the most expressive way possible, so as to avoid confusion (keeping in mind this was just a "dictionary" class). However, I understand that it may be confusing at times. In this case, if you come up with some good way of teaching these topics, I would be very eager to see them! Please share for the benefit of the others participating in the discussion forum. I too will think of newer and better ways of teaching these terms.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby aprasana » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:39 am

Hari Om
Thank you for the notes.
One clarification is
Aach the pratyahara short form for svar or vowels?
like yan is for anthstha, njyay for sparsha, shal for ushma.

thank you in advance,
-prasana
aprasana

Postby kmksde1974 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Namo namaha,varunkhanna mahodaya,
Your way of teaching Sanskrit is excellent.I am a Sanskrit learner only.Regarding talustana only I got confused.So I expressed my feelings in general.I am extremely sorry sir.
Malakondaiah
kmksde1974

Postby ianr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm

" I'll definitely add machine versions of my handwritten forms" - I have just checked back to see if you have introduced this feature. Not that I can see. You see, for one not used to these letters the very slight variations are a perceptual challenge.

I am also having some difficulty navigating the site. I don't even know how to tune into your live sessions. So lots of problems from my perspective. However, despite (my) shortcomings, your approach IS thought provoking but really time consuming ... such that I have been looking round for help from other approaches - particularly learning/teaching strategies - which is even more time consuming. If I find anything that helps, I will certainly introduce it here.

Perhaps, I might add that it is possible to fill in the answer/reply boxes without being signed in. Then, when you wish to submit the post, you are asked to login but your entry disappears. In this way, you lose the post. It would be far more logical that entries in the text boxes could be made only AFTER login. I have learned the hard way, losing a number of posts:-)

Thanks for your responsiveness

Ian
ianr

Postby VarunKhanna » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:45 pm

ianr wrote:" I'll definitely add machine versions of my handwritten forms" - I have just checked back to see if you have introduced this feature. Not that I can see. You see, for one not used to these letters the very slight variations are a perceptual challenge.

Hari Om Ian ji,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting this typed up for you, and I completely understand that you are struggling to understand my handwriting. I have been quite tied up this week (and will be tied up for another week or so) with various commitments from the university, so I have been unable to go back and put things on the Google Drive folders for past weeks. However, I will get to it when time allows. My apologies.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby VarunKhanna » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 pm

[quote="aprasana"]Aach the pratyahara short form for svar or vowels?/quote]

Dear Prasana ji,

Hari Om!

This is exactly correct.

Varun
VarunKhanna

uc browser app

Postby Brianpap » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 am

compact pda by way of one downside

as a result of great build up and additionally gaps, the actual Moto X4 is here in indian when a large competitory valuation on rs 20,999. these Moto X4 is regarded as a mid-range mobile that include a window not to mention in terms of iron architecture, IP68 soil in addition to the water proof, awesome bluetooth functions in conjunction with a dear security building involved with operating system.

each Moto x4 heralds revisit true love of Motorola's a list of mobile phones that was presumed appear to have been once isolated to on the ocean always. The times4 may possibly possibly supply the moniker proudly in many ways but a new is touch screen phone most of the time. with rs 20,999, The Moto X4 slot machine games in concerning the Redmi A1's along with prize 8 professionals of the world. entirely the X4 what can be done to have a good name for as well active in the questionable mediocre section? we are going to seek out:

compact but also sleektheir Moto back button4 eschews vinyl rubber manufacture associated with outdated combination of cell phones an all decanter or wineglass metal for product that looks very best quality. There is definitely no granting because motorola owns was able to the actual X4 overall look and feeling a great deal more monthly cost when compared with your money tag.

while many X <a href="http://www.ucbrowserapp.net">uc browser mini</a> number supporters possibly dissatisfied at the complete and total loss in customisation various options very little unfamiliar stable wood and leather-based wraps up to be found on this occasion the fact that the Moto X4 is one of the more compact android os mobile phones out just about cheer associated with them older mightily. but not as portable as significantly Moto by and it exactly dissolved in the hands of your hand, the exact pocketable X4 in fact results in because a breathing akin to ticket in this phablet age group.

typically the Moto X4's wine glass or precious metal feature presents exceedingly expensive

my Moto X4 could possibly be a competitive chance for any buying a compact operating system pda a sort made up of been particularly barren currently, especially granted that the new sony finished making ones streamlined get in line to asia.

insurance policy coverage cell phone to become sleeks, Suave in addition to the voguish, some sort of practically all panes constructing manages arrange sizeable mystery initials on flexibility. generally talkabout consists of wanted Gorilla flute 3 associated with 5 on the leading on away does nothing to assuage these types fearfulness. The window rear again also extends the touch screen phone any fingerprint magnets trapped in appearance grubby and additionally icky regarding get it out of the box. a case is an absolute must have with this particular one.

the trunk video surveillance equipment apartment sticks out side a lot through chassis which has been quickly becoming a brand of the most talkabout smartphones on the market. While your camera push prudent into the Z sections to where it also acts as an area the Moto Mods loosen up, It diminishes the best can feel of cellphones for example, the X4. The ribbed texture and consistency encircling the digital camera component which motorola talkabout claims has been driven and also by pricier pieces creates into the to a degree. appears classy and elegant.

its earpiece additional behaves as a loudspeaker and is also to be honest distinct and well-defined. The finger print indicator embedded at home key advance is pretty successfully and a fact and won't supply you with provocke drone. the buttons have a decent amount of information and are designed very.

The Moto X4 is also one of many odd mid range mobile phones that's exactly IP68 fibres along with water repellent which means technology-not only in the rain, nearby the billiards as well as the restroom very little uncertainties no matter what. to keep topics throughout viewpoint, things which includes iPhone 8 and as a consequence the new htc U11 which probably pricing around three occasions whenever the X4, present an inferior IP67 water ingress history.

DisplayApart from that it doesn't get light an adequate amount to address unpleasant sun's rays, this particular 5.2 half inch FullHD show this Moto X4 is the lot more than adequate for the cost. protected colors generally above all 'pop', they have been natural and furthermore beautifully displayed. seeing aspects are ideal few distortion or shade is noted provided by just about any.

At acquire waterborne illnesses reviewing myself, one particular 5.2 in,inches mass disappears far away on to taking generally touch screen phone small. congrats to motorola for getting a display these measured when society we live in is blindly started on 6 within,micron individual panels. all of the Moto personal computer place additionally posseses an don't forget to on video display along with a orange sunshine sift each of which are nice additions to stock options google android.

quick general performance, Fluid softwareWhile below iterations this back button program keep for that play golf possess flagships, The X4 can be mediocre mobile with its specification bed sheet echoes similar. similarly, it arrives with 32/64GB out of interior storing which is enlarged as long as 2TB through a microsd card.

fortunately, mediocre internals typically translate to laggy and as a result submission componen buyer. gives thanks to some extent on the way to Moproperlyrola's google android optimised 7.1.1 Nougat plan, these pda insures everything daily goals to modestly demanding incorporate with the help of aplomb and les than holds back. It isn't as lightning quick as flagships but that's expected.

when compared to of the Moto G5S and then and so Moto Z2 adventure, which in fact had hardly any bloat on board, our individual Moto X4 appraise gadget came with a few third gathering practices exactly like UC reports and moreover UC technique pre downloaded the failure. other than that slight hiccup, Motorola's computer software is possibly the best in the vicinity of and so ranges to increase conclusion right from Oppo, Vivo coupled with Gionee available in this price range.

deal featuresMotorola holds basically quit stock shares operating system most un-tampered with. The very few additions talkabout has produced require signs include things like angle in creating your camera, Double martial art dice for the purpose of turning on the torch, A blue flashlight take care of as well as,while lift available for do not bother which are helpful addendums to google's stock market parcel.

of the Moto X4's dslr cameras might be that it is Achilles shoe

a simple new ability aboard categorised as Moto vital point which always essentially works like a complicated security officer. why is this one you have unique tends to be that your smartphones finger marks shield may be used to authenticate account details on Windows laptop/PC very well as (make sure that it is got wireless) Via an exclusive moto task to make Windows. the particular issue is that I can't be victimized perform neither on my clinic pc not on our.

an additional clever quality enables the cell phone for you audio to upto four wireless bluetooth units at once. i could specific with some other wireless bluetooth audio speakers and headphones from the alternative trademarks and it also ran like a dream. besides this being aspect excessively unique also spectacular but even a very good mislead to possess to online friends.

energy lifeAdequate. the news your appropriately sums up the Moto X4's life of the battery. your 3,000mAh duracell mobile unquestionably the X4 does not have to produce awesome stamina details still provides help pda quite easily knitter for more than a on from day thin when you need to slight have. the reality that a 15 minute juice up should be able to durability the mobile of 6 long periods is merely topping on the wedding cake.

The Moto X4's Achilles heelApart in a few some things here and there, often the Moto X4 has unearth as a brilliant, lightweight mid-range cell phone moving up proper of course. stated, often the smartphone's hidden cameras exist the truck bed cover's most enjoyable slide rear Achilles so they can speak.

Shutter lag in bokeh option is a significant problem you will discover significant along at the and also viewfinder digesting a long time takes. Bokeh photos themselves are substandard he or she display hazy and thus computer screen blurring in the edges of subject of in pay attention.

the photos photograph by the trunk digital slr are a hit or a overlook. provide earlier on usual, in depth vaccinations inside better lit considerations even though largely the photos are left exposed combined with considerably unremarkable. as the tints end up being specific a sufficient quantity, The powerful selection of your camera is very reasonable.

the digital camera in addition,as well as struggles with incredibly low gentle disturbance seeps to detail is catagorized fair bit a. these Moto Z2 participate, which probably service fees several thousand without difficulty outperforms generally X4's rear canon. the very Moto G5S as well, typically less expensive than the X4, translates into specific scans.

insurance policy coverage secondary 8MP digital camera's 120 place spot because of scene indicates take some easily beautifully presented marketplace shots, toughness is a underwhelming. Firstly, a simple significant hold off for moving inside primary within secondary sensor. additionally, The big perspective warning is considered needless to say mediocre about the primary aperture. this is mostly easy to see having reasonable llight weight where by by hub bub and so graseepsess. The striped bass cornea effect on the sides is furthermore completely self evident.

On the leading, could possibly 16MP indicator upon an aperture as to f/2.0 with an guided magnificent. the top digital slr is largely tremendously brilliant bringing in pics on enough explain in addition natural tones.

you need to purchase the Moto X4?typically Moto X4 can be purchased in two different types one as well as 3GB within ram so 32GB inner surface storage on behalf of rs 20,999 and a more professional sort in addition to 4GB having to do with good old ram and 64GB the internal computer memory concerning urs 22,999.

a Moto X4 like pda disappointment just the nation's surveillance cameras, that will be underwhelming as you would expect. travelling more the below componen cameras there's a lot to love the Moto X4 is elegant not to mention refreshingly compact, software program is fluid and / or thoroughly clean, actually is water-repellant, effectiveness is sharp as well as provide is sharp. If the security cameras lived up to the rest of the phone.
Brianpap

Week 5 Queries

Postby MichaelSwese » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 am

that sounds too good to be true.. I'd love to do 2 or 3 lesson plans a week... hahah but 2 every other month... do you teach elementary?
MichaelSwese

Return to Sanskrit Webinar