Hari Om from Piercy!
i hope this email finds everyone well...
Krishnalaya is the 1st Chinmaya Mission ashram our Pujya Swami Chinmayananda established outside of Bharat. Krishnalaya is 1 of a few ashrams our Pujya Swami Tejomayananda teaches at for more than a week a year. Krishnalaya is where i am reflecting on these Masters more and writing to you, sharing insights into the subtlety of imparting Vedanta (Science of Life), manifested through our E-Vichara...
E-Vichara (April 25, 2011) --- Knowing the Knower
* Each and every science teaches about expressions of Life (i.e. physics, athletics, rituals, etc.) whereas only Vedanta teaches about Life (i.e. Existence-Awareness-Joy) - the expressions of Life are objective, tangible, malleable whereas Life is Subjective, Sublime, Being
* The sole message of Vedanta is we are Infinite, yet the sole means of knowing this is finite (i.e. our equipments) - the Truth defined is the Truth defiled
* Imagine what an unimaginable challenge a Vedantic Guru (Teacher) faces having to use the finite (i.e. Scriptures, words, thoughts, etc.) to raise a shishya (disciple) beyond the finite - imagine what an even more unimaginable achievement a Guru humbly embraces having transformed the shishya into the Guru (i.e. the Guru Parampara within Santana Dharma and especially within Chinmaya Mission)
* A student enters the forum of Vedanta with limiting preconceived notions, expectations infused with ignorance, sheer indiscipline and on and on and on, yet a Vedantic Teacher accepts all smilingly - what mettle such a visionary (the Teacher not the student hahaha!) has invoked, inculcated, internalized
* A Vedantic Acharya gives all of his/her resources, time and effort to the upliftment and unfoldment of those he/she has no relation to - in turn the Acharya is given praise and comparison, dakshina (donations) and nothing, bhikshas (meals) and more bhikshas so think about how vigilant an Acharya must be to not be swayed by the movement of maya
* Patience (no further elaboration is needed nor is relevant) - perseverance (no further elaboration is needed nor is relevant)
Narayana samarambham, Vyasa Sankara madhyamam. Asmada Acarya paryantam, vande Guru paramparam.
(Salutations to the lineage of Teachers commencing with Bhagavan Narayana, with Vyasa and Sankara in the middle and continuing up to my immediate Teacher.)
Why should we salute our Guru Parampara? They have taught us Yoga - Knowledge which transforms our belief of being limited to knowing we are Limitless! And from this true Yoga has come pseudo-yoga which most of us are exposed to and are attracted to. Even such diluted yoga has physical and mental benefits. Please read the below abstract on the Yoga of Awareness in the Management of Fibromyalgia published by the Department of Anesthesiology and Peri-operative Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland -
A mounting body of literature recommends that treatment for fibromyalgia (FM) encompass medications, exercise and improvement of coping skills. However, there is a significant gap in determining an effective counterpart to pharmacotherapy that incorporates both exercise and coping. The aim of this randomized controlled trial was to evaluate the effects of a comprehensive yoga intervention on FM symptoms and coping. A sample of 53 female FM patients were randomized to the 8-week Yoga of Awareness program (gentle poses, 'meditation', breathing exercises, coping instructions, group discussions) or to wait-listed standard care. Data were analyzed by intention to treat. At post-treatment, women assigned to the yoga program showed significantly greater improvements on standardized measures of FM symptoms and functioning, including pain, fatigue, mood, pain catastrophizing, acceptance and other coping strategies. This pilot study provides promising support for the potential benefits of a yoga program for women with FM.
3,267...this is how many people have received our Special Mananam Mondays email on All WE need is Love. An immense number...yet we hope to still reach out to at least 2,733 more people. This present E-Vichara is being sent to 1,416 of you. If each of you forwards the Special Mananam Mondays email to 2 others we will reach our aspiration to spread the word about Love to 6,000 within 10 days!!! If you have not let me know how many you forwarded the email to, please let me know! If you have not forwarded the email, please do so and let me know to how many addresses! Those tending to listservs, distribution lists, contact lists, etc. we are looking for your participation. May 1 is our alive-line (deadline is such a harsh word)...
Awaiting your responses...
"If you are lost in thoughts then that is agitation. If thoughts are lost in you, then that is meditation." --- Swami Tejomayananda