Viveka & Vichara - weekly contemplation from Acharya Vivekji

Form your group, and discuss with your acharya(s) a selected topic. Highly recommended for study groups.

Re: Viveka & Vichara - weekly contemplation from Acharya Vivekji

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 am

Hari Om from Boston!

i hope this email finds everyone well...

With the onset of September there is no greater period of change that North American society embraces (i.e. students return to schools, sevaks/sevikas return to Centers, summer returns to hibernating, etc.). This is the real 'New Years'. And as all these changes are about to take place how will we as individuals embrace the same? The mind hates change! By learning to embrace the mind we learn to embrace change. Insert I-N-C-E-P-T-I-O-N. We continue to study the mind through the movie (Part 3 of 4) through the E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (August 22, 2011) --- Whole Lotta Inception

-(Dominic and Ariadne in warehouse) --- Living with the unreal is impossible - our pursuit of peace will be eternal as long as we are dependent on the changing for joy

-(Dominic and Ariadne in warehouse) --- We choose to forget the Real - why are we so serious about the temporary (i.e. idam vritti or the fleeting 'this' thought) and so temporary about the Sublime (i.e. aham vritti or the foundational 'I' thought)

-(Dominic and Ariadne in warehouse) --- What if we do not know we are dreaming - by accepting that vices are part of who we are we covertly succumb to a life sans virtues, sans development, sans Freedom

-(Dominic and Ariadne in warehouse) --- Our guilt defines us, empowers the ego to control us - the past serves the purpose of teaching us to live intelligently in the present, proactively for the future

-(Dominic and Ariadne in warehouse) --- Only by confronting the regrets we hold onto can we let go and grow - to rediscover the ever present Self we have to learn to unlearn

-(Eames and Arthur in warehouse) --- Think big and equally important 'act big' ("Musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" --- Arthur) - everyday we should exercise the mind by thinking of parallel universes, thinking of noble achievements, thinking like a child

This past week my flight from Washington DC to Buffalo was delayed by 2 hours. During this precious time i reflected on how quickly the summer has passed. And that the flight i was about to take was to be my 30th for 2011...i am overwhelmed by the Love all of you have expressed towards me to include me in your study of Vedanta. i humbly offer my gratitude to all of you for the endless opportunities you have created for me to rediscover Bhagavan. i Love Life, i Love all of you...

"Detachment is the sole security from all sorrows in life." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Hari Om from Atlanta!

Urgency. An underlying theme of I-N-C-E-P-T-I-O-N is urgency. The urgency to move within the layers, the urgency to move through the layers, the urgency to move out of the layers. This needs to be the underlying theme of our lives too. An urgency to be Free. Sans this urgency we will be lost to limitations forever. Appreciating this need, we complete (Part 4 of 4) our 'job' on the message of I-N-C-E-P-T-I-O-N and now ride the final 'kick' which is this E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (August 29, 2011) --- Total Inception

-(Arthur and security guard in stairwell) --- Life (Eternal, Aware and United) and living (temporary, inert and divided) are a paradox - more paradoxically, through devoted living one discovers Life

-(Dominic and Ariadne in hospital) --- How do we know what is real for when the mind is immersed in a experience that becomes 'reality' (i.e. watching a movie, being in a dream, giving in to rage, etc.) - Real does not change, ever, and only That which illumines the mind is Real

-(Dominic and Ariadne in hospital) --- Mal/ego wants us to remain identified with limitations for this is the only way Mal/ego can survive - maya cannot bear inquiry, appreciating which, if we sincerely seek to Know Thyself all facets of our present identity/responsibility crisis (i.e. not knowing what to do as a spouse, as a sevaka, as a seeker, etc.) will fade away

-(Dominic and Mal in kitchen) --- We having creeping doubts about the existence of the Divine as well as the promise of joy from abc-s (articles, beings and circumstances) - by choosing abc-s and not the D (Divine) we drown in our doubts only to perish

-(Dominic and Mal on train tracks) --- Who do we know who has experienced death, who do we know who has experienced reincarnation, who do we know who has experienced Enlightenment - we hypothesize a few, if any, yet this does not matter for true faith is tested by surrender ("Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone?" --- Saito)

-(Dominic and Ariadne in kitchen) --- The most subtle, universal and dangerous inception has been performed on us, believing we are separate from all - we cannot lose ourselves in such duality or else we will be lost in limbo forever...

September 1 is Ganesha Chaturthi...Ganapati Baba Moriya! September 1 is the Inauguration of the 15th Vedanta Course...our humble prostrations to those 76 fearless seekers. September 1 is the release of our CHYK West website...Finally a fresh CHYKWest.com! (http://chykwest.com/wordpress/)

"Change allows us to exit the comfortable and enter the improved." --- David Cottrell

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Hari Om from Montreal!

The discourse is too far! There is not enough time!! i do not believe in the message!!! Familiar? This is our mindset when the idea of religion…yoga…self development arises. Enough. We are all most blessed by the opportunity Srimad Bhagavad Gita (Gita), Pujya Swami Tejomayananda (Guruji) and the Chinmaya International Foundation (CIF) have collectively created for us...the Bhagavad Gita Course. Infusing the message of the Divine in the monotony of our day is the curriculum of our E-Vichara…

E-Vichara (September 5, 2011) --- Go through Gita...Grow through Gita...

-Anthropologists are estimating that Gita is over 6,000 years old, one of the most ancient Scriptures of any religion – powerfully, Gita is also one of the most applicable sciences considering this Divine Song is studied in countless countries in countless languages and by countless people of countless faiths

-The challenges Prince Arjuna faced on the battlefield, bhaya (fear) leading to shoka (sorrow) leading to moha (delusion), are the same challenges we face at home, at work, at school, etc. – just as honesty is an eternal virtue, our limited ways of thinking are eternal vices and Gita is the ‘map’ to navigate past these ‘storms’ onto peace

-Guruji studied Gita under Pujya Swami Chinmayananda from the early 70’s and has been teaching the same since the mid 70’s – this equates to shravanam (listening) of a Master for 2 decades, mananam (reflection) on the Message for 4 decades and sharing all of this purified, simplified, divinized wisdom with us in the format of an 15 month study

-Guruji can only be in one place at one time and this is often only for a few days leaving a longing for more satsanga (noble company) – Guruji’s teachings can be embraced continuously if we choose so (i.e. at 6.00a before meditation or 12.00p during lunch or 9.00p before studying or anytime and all-times )

-CIF has the ideal that no excuse should prevent or even inhibit the study of our Scriptures which is why the Gita Lessons are emailed to one’s inbox or mailed to one’s postbox - some spiritual courses demand that one commit to the organization and/or commit one's paycheck to the organization whereas the Bhagavad Gita Course is open to all and for less than $10 a lesson directed to a registered non-profit charity engaged in sustaining our Vedic Culture

-In the fields of psychiatry, commercial aviation, real estate, many objective sciences, ongoing education is required to be able to continue to engage in that profession and so how much more important is ongoing education in the subjective science of Vedanta (i.e. some Chinmaya Mission sevakas/sevikas are being encouraged to participate in a CIF Home Study Course to be able to teach Bala Vihar, Study Groups, etc.) - the Bhagavad Gita Course is truly an expression of Sanatana Dharma in that the answers to the questions for each lesson submitted by students are actually assessed and responded to by a Chinmaya Mission Acharya, samvada (dialogue) 2011 style!

Pujya Swami Chinmayananda had/has a vision of "ghar ghar mein Gita" (Gita in every home). Taking the Bhagavad Gita Course is a means to living this vision at an individual level. And at a societal level, we can spread the word about this opportunity at our Temples, Centers, Ashrams, Philosophy Departments, Deepavali Gatherings, etc. With ghar ghar mein Gita (Gita in every home) there will certainly be ghar ghar mein gita (joy in every home). To register please visit the Bhagavad Gita Course (http://www.chinmayavishwavidyapeeth.in/courses/bhagavadgita/)

On August 25, 2011 Pujya Swami Dhyanananda (Resident Acharya of Chinmaya Mission Uttarakashi – Tapovan Kuti) attained Mahasamadhi (the physical death of a Saint). We remember those who have passed by remembering how they lived. Please read the following pertinent question asked of Swamiji and the practical answer shared:

Excerpt from An Interview with Swami Dhyanananda
Published in Tapovan Prasad

Q. Please give a message to us as sadhakas.

A. As far as I'm concerned, Gurudev has given enough Knowledge. Through his BMI chart he has made it clear that essentially we are Eternal and Ever-full beings. However, in order to remove the obstacles in us, because of which at this moment we are unable to recognise the Divine Presence in us, he gave us also the field to do selfless service. It is not a means to improve the world; it is a means for self unfoldment. So, if any work is done by any sadhaka in the Mission, as a dedicated service to Sri Gurudev, his spiritual unfoldment will surely take place; the Knowledge gained earlier, that I am that Divine Entity or Being, will come alive. It is only by doing service to the master that the knowledge gained by our study and listening will be fulfilled. The knowledge given by Gurudev and the shastra is not to gain anything, but to get rid of the obstacles, the impediments. I am convinced that unless one knows this clearly, even selfless service cannot be done. May Gurudev's grace take us to the Final Goal.

To read more about Swamiji please visit Have you met Swami Dhyanananda? (http://www.chinmayamission.com/news-details.php?news_id=286&albumid=0)

"Prayer is not a 'spare wheel' to be pulled out when in trouble, rather is a 'steering wheel' that directs the right path throughout." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Hari Om Everyone,

When was the last time you wrote a letter? When was the last time you did not check your electronic mail (email) for a day? When was the last time you clicked on Save Now instead of Send? A loooooooooong time ago...if ever. The use of email is as pervasive as oxygen. The young, the old, the literate, the illiterate, the rich, the poor, are all 'breathing' emails. Yet humans did not create oxygen. This is a naturally present element which humans naturally interact with. Conversely, humans did create email. And since this is not natural, humans need to learn to interact with email, to not be incarcerated by email. With this introduction, you, me and emails is the Subject of this E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (September 12, 2011) --- Email Etiquette

-The aim of technological development is a balance of efficiency and effectiveness (i.e. a microwave can heat up food/drinks much quicker than a stove) - if only efficiency is achieved or only effectiveness is achieved than technology has not reached its mark (i.e. if a microwave was quick but did not heat up the food/drink or if a microwave heat up the food/drink but was slow)

-Email is extremely efficient in saving time, infrastructure, trees, etc. still email can never be as effective as a samvada (physical dialogue) - this is the essence of why living in a Gurukula (Monastery with a Spiritual Teacher) can never be replaced by a webcast, by a cd, by a book

-Everyday we send/receive 10s (based on one's role/responsibilities this 10 can be X 10!) of emails and keeping up with this volume demands dedication, determination and direction to deliver and not be defeated - ideally, we should devote (meaning no talking, no eating, no watching, etc.) certain periods of the day for certain amounts of time to address emails (i.e. 30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the day and 30 minutes in the evening)

-When we think we should be clear, when we speak we should be clear and when we write we should be clear for all are an expression of each other - questions should be underlined, important points should be emboldened, the subject should be transparent, recipients in the To: Cc: Bcc: should be limited, chains should be focused, essentially presence of mind should be invoked through engaging in emails

-Though email is a legitimate means of communication (i.e. messages on Facebook are not) in the banking world, real estate world, spiritual organization world, etc. if another/others have not replied to an email needing a reply, we should be proactive (make a note of a followup date as soon as the initial email is sent) in reminding that person/people to reply and if still no reply is received, follow up with a phone call/s - in the same way we should be diligent to reply to all emails needing our attention in the order of emergency, administrative, personal, not just ignore the email and pretend like the other person/s will not care/notice (a.k.a. apathy)

-Whenever we write an email, actually whenever we do any action, we should empathize with all potential recipients in regards to the necessity of the email, the content of the email, the frequency of emails (i.e. despite the E-Vicharas being conducive to self development, these are only regularly sent to those who sign up to receive these, not everyone i just feel like sending these to) - when we think twice about our email culture, sending/receiving emails will increase in quality, decrease in quantity and peace will prevail

Excuses in any field are weak and a sign of weakness. In the context of our E-Vichara our excuses tend to be:
Sender: "No one replies to my emails sob sob sob."
Receiver: "Everyone keeps sending me emails wah wah wah."
To help us make less excuses as a sender and receiver, please read, reflect and run with the following email charter - 10 Rules to Reverse the Email Spiral (http://www.swiss-miss.com/2011/06/email-charter.html)

"One thing you can't recycle is wasted time." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Hari Om Everyone,

Ekam sat vipraah bahudhaa vadanti (Truth is one, the wise call It by many names). The free person is the one who accepts ALL religions. The chained person is the one who accepts ONLY A religion. Four Agreements is a book on personal growth rooted in the Toltec Philosophy. A philosophy uniting all great (sadly this adjective has to be used as some religions no longer focus on empathy rather focus on apathy) religions whether we accept this or not. Insights into this ancient way of thinking is shared through a modern means, our E-Vichara. And so we begin, for each agreement, a E-Vichara…

E-Vichara (September 19, 2011) --- First Agreement

-Be impeccable with your word – truth is applicable to thoughts, words and deeds, all the ways we interact with the world

-Our thoughts have a stealth capability to make us believe our lies – if we are not honest with oneself all else is an expression of deceit

-When we are dishonest at the individual level we invoke weakness in the form of fear, frustration, fatigue, etc. – when we are dishonest at the communal level we invoke weakness in the form of cheating, corruption, chaos

-We engage the untruth for this is easier to face, initially, yet if we pause to think about the future, the untruth is far harder to face – as soon we are aware of deception we have to openly acknowledge this, whatever be the consequences, for we all know they cannot be as poisonous as allowing deception to ferment

-The gross is simpler to control than the subtle (i.e. in meditation, stilling the body comes before still the mind), appreciating which let us resolve to never share that which is false (i.e. exaggeration, gossip, harmless lies, etc.) - when we practice speaking the truth, we will cultivate the courage to demand the same and slowly the supply will manifest

-How sad we have to make an agreement to be truthful – why oh why do we lie i cry…

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.30p-10.00p we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. How to pray? How to quieten the mind? How to be detached with family? etc,) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. We begin on Thursday, September 29 at 9.30p at the following link - Live Vedanta (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" --- Mahatma Gandhi

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Hari Om Everyone,

Ekam sat vipraah bahudhaa vadanti (Truth is one, the wise call It by many names). Fascinating how true religion teaches one and all to be truly ego-less. Yet in our interpretation and practice of religion we only become more egotistical, losing ourselves to names, forms, ignorance. Let us find ourselves by continuing with our study of the Toltec Philosophy shared through Four Agreements and explored through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (September 26, 2011) --- Second Agreement

-Don't take anything personally - the only wealth we have is peace of mind for this is regulated by ourselves whereas all other 'forms of wealth' (i.e. articles, beings and circumstances) are regulated by external parties

-Each and every one of us has inadvertent lapses, mean moods, bad days and in such states of mind what we communicate is tainted, is not meaningful - whether one is the giver or receiver of such communication, letting go of the experience is an exercise in detachment

-Just as being in the world (practical) and being worldly (possessed) are totally different so too being serious about life (passionate) and taking life seriously (pitiable) are totally different - only when we are serious about Joy will we cultivate the light heartedness to discover Joy

-When we cannot laugh at ourselves, others laugh at us and when we can laugh at ourselves, other laugh with us - which do we want

-Each and everyone one of us makes mistakes through wrong thinking, wrong speaking and wrong acting so why not forgive ourselves and others for such mistakes and evolve beyond mistakes - by practicing empathy we invoke Enlightenment

-We do not ever fully know the history, the background, the condition of another and expecting them to align with our perspective is an expression of egoism - only after exerting to understand another should we give value to their thoughts (i.e. internalizing what an intoxicated person says is a drunk idea whereas internalizing what a Guru says is a divine idea)

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with our jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.30p-10.00p EST we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. How to pray? How to quieten the mind? How to be detached with family? etc,) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. We begin on Thursday, September 29 at 9.30p EST at the following link - Live Vedanta (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

"A car's windshield is so large and the rear-view mirror so small for our past is not as important as our future." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am

Hari Om from Pittsburgh!

Ekam sat vipraah bahudhaa vadanti (Truth is one, the wise call It by many names). The problem is not religion. The purpose of religion is self mastery. The problem is interpretation. We lie, we magnify, we ratify. And in the end we cry. WHY! DEFY!! TRY!!! Read the words of The Four Agreements, reflect the wisdom of the Toltecs and realize the message of our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 10, 2011) --- Fourth, Final and Foremost Agreement

-Always do your best - is a bhashya (commentary) necessary

-When we do our best we are immune to failure (inferiority complex) and success (superiority complex) - our best is determined by effort (ourselves) not eulogies (others)

-An objective best (i.e. the smartest, coolest, prettiest, richest, healthiest etc.) is based on limitation (i.e. the bmi, the abc-s, etc.) while a subjective best is based on intuition ('the heart') - when we depend on limitation we drown in the limited and when we depend on intuition we rise in the Infinite

-Only when we know ourselves can we know what our best is - each and every day we have to engage in svadhyaya (self study) otherwise we are living 'ghosts'

-Our svadhyaya should encompass introspection, detection, negation, substitution and emancipation of our vices - when we are the best we will earn bliss ("You have the right to work only and never to the fruits." --- Sri Krishna / "Do your best and leave the rest." --- Swami Chinmayananda / "Don't worry be happy." --- Bobby McFerrin)

-External enemies can take a life, internal enemies can take lifetimes - external enemies only require a better strategy for victory, internal enemies only require the best strategy for victory

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves and it is not possible to find it elsewhere" --- Agnes Repplier

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 am

Hari Om from Bentonville!

Aarti, buying, cleaning...eating, fireworks, garbha. What happened to d? What happened to Deepavali? What happened to DEVELOPMENT? When religion is divorced of philosophy this devolves to ritualism. When religion is married to philosophy this evolves to reformation. We all 'celebrate' Deepavali. Do we though? In the coming days the whole world will be fascinated by Deepavali and so before we do let us focus on Deepavali through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 17, 2011) --- Deepavali is...

-Deepavali is a row of lamps all having been lit by an original lamp just as you and i are all lives enlivened by the original Life - when our 'Builder' is the same only our frescoes (equipments) can be different not our foundation (Existence)

-Deepavali is when Bhagavan Vamana (the Infinite) placed His foot on the head of King Bali (finitude) - though the ego is only an illusion, this causes delusion in we come to believe we are limited and so, separate and only by revering the feet (wisdom) of the noble will we entertain and then embrace Limitlessness and so, unity

-Deepavali is when Lord Rama, the embodiment of Delight, returned home with His family and friends, embodiments of duty and devotion and discipline, after transcending Ravana, the embodiment of desire - as long as we depend on articles and beings and circumstances (abc-s) for Delight we will be 'homeless' for we can only return Home by depending on duty and devotion and discipline

-Deepavali is the marriage of Bhagavati Lakshmi with Bhagavan Narayana symbolizing that virtue and service can never be apart - the one with virtues naturally chooses service and the one who serves naturally invokes virtues

-Deepavali is when Lord Krishna (selfless action) transcends Narakasura (selfish action) freeing 16,000 captive maidens (hidden potential) - with an ideal we grow out of our ordinary selves into extraordinary selves discovering capacities and capabilities we never thought possible

-Deepavali is a New Year and like all New Years, an opportunity to reflect on where we have come from and where we are going - reflecting on our past we should be moved by appreciation for all the entities responsible for our welfare (i.e. the sun, bees, sanitation engineers, parents, Guru) and reflecting on our future we should be moved by dedication to give back to all the entities responsible for our welfare (i.e. living in harmony with nature, spreading culture, offering Guru Dakshina)

Let us make this Deepavali different. 99.9% of the readers of the E-Vichara HAVE what they need. We do not need sweets/nuts/fruits, just check our fridges. We do not need clothes, just check our closets. We do not need candles, just check our garages. WHY GIVE WHAT WE DO NOT NEED?

What we DO NEED is service and virtues.
This Deepavali let us give service by making donations to CORD USA - http://www.cordusa.org/donate.html
This Deepavali let us get virtues by exchanging literature through Chinmaya Publications - http://www.chinmayapublications.com/
My gift to you all will arrive on Deepavali (October 26)...

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with our jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.30p-10.00p EST we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. in our last Live Vedanta webcast we explored: 1. Purpose of Discrimination 2. Likes vs Preferences 3. Belief based on Scriptures 4. How to Wake Up 5. Practicing Sense Control) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. Our Live Vedanta webcast for this month will be on Thursday, October 27 at 9.30p EST at the following link - Live Vedanta (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

When we began Year 3 of the E-Vichara we embraced podcasts as well. And the idea was to make these available on the CHYK West website. In the interim the podcasts were being sent through email. Our website is not ready for the podcasts and these files are too large for them to be practically sent through email. As such until our website is ready, our podcasts will be on hiatus. They will still be recorded and eventually made available just not right now...

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have." --- Frederick Koenig

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 am

Hari Om from Merrillville!

It is 11.11p. Today i awoke at 5.15a, taught Guided Meditation, facilitated a Satsanga, spoke on Mindful Living, worked and studied all day, went to 2 Bhikshas, ran 5k and had my computer power adapter catch fire...i am tired. The E-Vichara is not written and needs to be. What to do? CORRECTION! What to do is not a valid question. There is one and one option only: write the E-Vichara. Thoughts on piercing through pressure forms the slogan for our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (October 31, 2011) --- Always Be Cool! (ABC!)

-The person speaking the loudest is certainly heard the most yet the person speaking the most intelligently is listened to the most - why do we raise our voice when we ourselves do not respect those who raise their voice

-Whenever a circumstance is falling apart, the ego looks in every direction to lock blame onto someone instead of absorbing the circumstance, instead of accepting blame - why can't an unpleasant circumstance just be sans blame being involved

-Being overwhelmed is being unable to carry all of one's objects, emotions and thoughts - why have so much 'weight' in the first place

-A mind's nature is to create 'reasons' to reject responsibilities - why act on the instructions of such a rogue

-Only a personality that is calm, cool and collected lives by vision and not sight (yah pashyati sa pashyati) - why ever let go of the lighthouse that is our ideal

-In moments of high tension our real character or lack thereof is conveyed (i.e. Mahatma Gandhi chanting Ram while dying vs. Duryodhana ignorantly speaking to Dronacharya in Srimad Bhagavad Gita's Chapter 1) - why so serious

Always being cool is synonymous with patience. Please watch the following short video on how forward thinking is a catalyst to living in harmony with oneself, with all... - The Living Bridge (http://www.snotr.com/video/7331/The_Living_Bridge)

"A man who dares to waste one hour of life has not discovered the value of life." --- Charles Darwin

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 am

Hari Om from Peoria!

This past month, approximately a billion people around the world were given an extra hour of time on account of Daylight Saving Time ending for 2011. Time: a relative measurement, an elusive entity, an abstract idea. Regardless of how many interpretations of time there are, what is definitive is a moment passed is a moment that will never ever return. What would you do with an extra hour is the schedule for our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (November 7, 2011) --- Time on Trial

-With an extra hour we could organize our physical desks (i.e. where our computers are), our virtual desks (i.e. where our emails are) - when our outer world is organized less time is demanded in 'looking' (i.e. keys, etc.) and more time is offered in 'executing' (i.e. driving, etc.)

-With an extra hour we could exercise for a healthy body is a magnet and an unhealthy body is a drain, one attracting time and the other dissipating time - every individual and every society fundamentally needs to unlearn that exercising takes time and start learning that exercising makes time

-With an extra hour we could plan our day, our week, our month, our year, our decade, depending on the present evolution of our planning - each and every visionary (i.e. Adi Shankaracharya, Swami Chinmayananda, Sam Walton, etc.) was a planner so why are we inert to following the same guidance

-With an extra hour we could study religion, for 95% of those reading these thoughts have a great deal of secular knowledge yet not a correspondent peace of mind - by listening (live or recorded) to the teachings of an Acharya (one who guides by exemplary living) for 15 minutes a day we will be inspired to use time (live) rather than let time use us (die)

-With an extra hour we could seek to resolve the inner conflicts we have about the ideas religion shares which are initially radical to what society preaches - the ones who have invested in themselves through reflection, clear all inner conflicts and so clear all outer conflicts and that my friends is truly radical

-With an extra hour we could serve the neighbour, we could serve the neglected, we could serve the nation - the more time we give to others the more time the Divine gives to us to invoke and evoke Joy

What did i do with the extra hour? i wrote emails until 2.00a became 1.00a.

Our E-Vichara Podcasts are now online! Please visit our Chinmaya Yuva Kendra (CHYK) West website to listen to all of our past E-Vichara Podcasts and to listen to fresh E-Vichara Podcasts being continuously loaded. And check out all the forms of Satsanga our dynamic CHYKs have put together on our website! - E-Vichara Podcasts (http://chykwest.com/wordpress/podcasts/)

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with our jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.30p-10.00p EST we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. in our October Live Vedanta webcast we explored: 1. Importance of Satsanga 2. Detachment in Relationships 3. Developing Intuition 4. Religion with a Partner 5. The Master's Vision) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. Our Live Vedanta webcast for this month will be on Thursday, November 17 at 9.30p EST at the following link - Live Vedanta (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does man need to be happy?" --- Albert Einstein

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Hari Om Everyone,

shri guru charana saroja raja nija manu mukuru sudhari I
Hanuman Chalisa - doha 1

With a serene mind, purified by the dust of the lotus feet of the Guru.
The 40 Verses on Hanuman - couplet 1

Hanuman Chalisa - heard by billions, sung by millions, taught by thousands, understood by hundreds, lived by few. Why such attrition? An attitude for complacency - why learn? An attitude against change - why learn! This summer i had the indescribable blessing of listening to Pujya Swami Tejomayananda sing, teach and most meaningfully, live Hanuman Chalisa. We often use the phrase 'indescribable' in an exaggerated sense, we do not mean this. When describing the grace of the Guru even the word 'indescribable' is inadequate and as a thinker and a writer, i mean this! Insights into the insights shared on Hanuman Chalisa are shared on this edition of E-Vichara…

E-Vichara (November 14, 2011) --- Ashta Siddhi an Applied Science

-Whenever we think of the ashta siddhi (8 phenomenal powers) we tend to drift to the epic Ramayana and Lord Hanuman manipulating His body while flying to Lanka – the ashta siddhi of the body can certainly conquer the outer enemy of wickedness but the ashta siddhi of the mind, more potently, can conquer the inner enemy of selfishness

-(Anima the phenomenal power to be imperceptible) --- The defining characteristic of a personality in tune with religion is humility - by learning to say 'good work', by learning to say 'I'm sorry', by learning to say nothing we become a catalyst to raise others

-(Mahima the phenomenal power to be immense) --- The defining characteristic of a leader is the ability to lead oneself - every circumstance naturally manifests 95% of people as followers and we must be aware of the need to lead

-(Laghima the phenomenal power to be weightless) --- The defining characteristic of a free mind is how sincerely and how regularly one smiles - by starting to take Happiness seriously we stop taking the ego seriously and the net profit is a minimal 'crying footprint' and a minimal 'carbon footprint'

-(Garima the phenomenal power to be weighty) --- The defining characteristic of one living in balance with Life is a balanced mind - every facet of the universe is changing and to fight change is to be inert and to flow with change is to be intelligent

-In a religious context, a frequently asked question is 'whether Lord Rama actually lived, whether Mahabharata actually took place, etc.' and the unhesitatingly given answer is 'yes' - more important than the articles, beings and circumstances of religion is the desideratum, the message of self mastery which you and i need to find ways to execute not excuse and practicing any of the ashta siddhi is the ideal means to transform from human to Hanuman

And i have not forgotten how to count hahaha! We shall complete our exploration of the ashta siddhi when we meet next week from my 'heart' through the internet to your 'heart'.

"Come out into the universe of Light. Everything in the universe is yours. Stretch out your arms and embrace it with love. If you ever felt you wanted to do that, you have felt God." --- Swami Vivekananda

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 am

Hari Om from Houston!

ashta siddhi nau nidhi ke data I
Hanuman Chalisa - doha 31

Granter of the eight phenomenal powers and the nine forms of wealth.
The 40 Verses on Hanuman - couplet 31

Hanuman Chalisa - heard by billions, sung by millions, taught by thousands, understood by hundreds, lived by few. Why such attrition? An attitude for complacency - why learn? An attitude against change - why learn! We continue to learn what real power is through Hanuman Chalisa through E-Vichara…

E-Vichara (November 21, 2011) --- Ashta Siddhi an Aid to Solidarity

-External power (i.e. muscles, media, ministers) is dependent on external factors (i.e. age, bias, voters) and so is illusory – internal power (i.e. inspiration, love, peace) is dependent on internal factors (i.e. knowledge, vision, thoughts) and so is Infinite

-(Prapti is the phenomenal power to gain all that is desired) --- There is no substitute for hard work (arpana buddhi) – when we work hard we invoke joy (prasada buddhi) and this is all that we desire

-(Prakamya is the phenomenal power to gain access to all) --- We all play countless roles encompassing countless responsibilities whether we like this fact or loathe this fact – by accepting these roles and responsibilities people will accept us and allow us to be near and dear to them

-(Ishitvam is the phenomenal power to rule over all) – The influence of association (satsanga or dussanga) must be respected for one to grow – through reforming oneself all those around oneself are fated to reform (i.e. when Mohandas Gandhi ‘grew’ to become Mahatma Gandhi, enslaved Indians ‘grew’ to become emancipated Indians)

-(Vashitvam is the phenomenal power to control all) – how do we want to be taught, how do we want to be treated, how do we want to be tested – when we give Love we receive Love

-To evolve from treating Hanuman Chalisa as a devotional song to be sung as a hobby on Tuesday evening or Saturday afternoon into an ideal to be habitually lived demands remembrance - neatly write down all 7 phenomenal powers (join laghima and garima) with their explanation and keep a copy of this on the bathroom mirror, kitchen refrigerator, passenger-side dashboard, office desk and computer casing with the aspiration to live a different phenomenal power each day of the week (anima on Monday, mahima on Tuesday, laghima-garima on Wednesday, prapti on Thursday, prakamya on Friday, ishitvam on Saturday and vashitvam on Sunday)

As plans begin for the New Year and new year i wanted to share some unique experiences i will have the great fortune to be part of and hope you will join me for! Stay posted for more details:

-Nov 25-27 --- Houston --- Game of Life Retreat --- we are celebrating Chyksgiving tonight! --- Game of Life (http://www.chykhouston.com/The_Game_of_Life_Launch_Site/Home.html)

-Dec 9-13 --- London --- Satsangas with Chinmaya Mission UK --- creating satsanga internationally!

-Dec 19-Jan 7 --- India --- Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra --- experiencing Bharata to be Bharata (filled with knowledge)!

-Jan 13-15 --- Chicago --- Holistic Habits Retreat --- studying the mind to transcend the mind! --- Holistic Habits (http://www.mychinmaya.org/chyk/)

-Feb 24-26 --- Niagara --- Starving for Seva Retreat --- fasting and studying for 48 hours to raise funds (for CORD) and Freedom!

-Sep 7-9 --- Chicago --- Human to Hanuman Retreat --- studying the equipments culminating in a 1/2 marathon to raise funds (for CORD)!

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with our jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.30p-10.00p EST we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. in our November Live Vedanta webcast we explored: 1. Earning a Guru 2. Practicing the Presence of God 3. How the Yugas Work 4. Are our Scriptures Real 5. Serving while Married) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. Our next Live Vedanta webcast will be on Thursday, December 1 at 9.30p EST at the following link - Live Vedanta (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

"Unselfishness is God. One may live on a throne, in a golden palace, and be perfectly unselfish; and then he is in God. Another may live in a hut and wear rags, and have nothing in the world; yet, if he is selfish, he is intensely merged in the world." --- Swami Vivekananda

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Hari Om Everyone,

Chinmaya Prabha...CHYKsGiving...The Game of Life...80 Young Adults from around the World...priceless. Granting access to what all those in Houston were privy to is the authority of our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (November 28, 2011) --- The Game of Living

-Like Existence, like Energy, Life is uncreated, is undestroyed, IS – as such, Life is not a game, cannot be a game, whilst living is

-The one and only purpose of living is to know Life = to know Thyself = to know Joy – all other purposes given priority to this purpose can be translated quite simply as blah blah blah, blah blah

-We often succumb to preconceived notions that religion is not applicable to our health, to householders, to the ‘have-s’ – the field for living is all places and all times (i.e. our samskaras [purification rites] begin in the womb and conclude in the tomb)

-Whether accepted or not, you, me and all of humanity are players – if we are not playing well, associate with those who are (satsanga) and if others are not playing well, lead by example

-Dharma or the rules are fundamental to the game being played smoothly – the first and foremost rule we all have to play by is being truthful for if we are not truthful we destroy the game for one and all (i.e. the rampant corruption ravaging all nations)

-What happens during a game, we, with our limited understanding of the purpose, field, players and rules, frequently question, frequently revolt, frequently suffer - a Guru is one with full understanding of the purpose, field, players and rules and so is ever efficient and effective and to be adept players we need to have faith in the insights of this umpire

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something in your life." --- Winston Churchill

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:28 am

Hari Om from London!

What is culture? Dancing, singing, cooking, etc. What was culture? Satsanga. Why the disparity? Distraction. With our distracted minds we have lost the purpose of our culture. Our visionary sages, the Rishi-s, built families, built communities, built nations upon our samskara-s (rites of passage). And if our families, communities, nations are disintegrating, we need to study our samskaras, we need to save our samskara-s to invoke and evoke integration at all levels. We have 16 prominent samskara-s and we will be exploring all of these for the last month of 2011's E-Vicharas...

E-Vichara (December 5, 2011) --- Significance of our Samskara-s

-A samskara is an action well done and only that action which cultivates purity of mind is worthy while an action that does not purify the mind is purposeless - each and every samskara revolves around satsanga for satsanga connects (sanga) us to Joy (Sat)

1. Garbhadana is when a married couple invoke the desire to raise a child - this desire is based on Love (controlled) and not lust (uncontrolled)

2. Pumsavana is when the physical body and physiological systems of the 3 month old fetus are developing - satsanga is encouragement for the parents to be strong and so naturally the child to be

3. Simantonnayana is when the mind and intellect of the 5/6 month old fetus are developing - in this last of the prenatal samskara-s the father parts the hair of the mother symbolizing the opening of her mind (well being) and the opening of child's mind (healthy future)

4. Jatakarma is the first of the childhood samskara-s for this is when the child eats independently for the first time (umbilical cord is cut) - as soon as the child is born, the father symbolically feeds the child with sugar, butter and yogurt invoking sweetness, strength and serenity, respectively, in all of the child's experiences

-Though these traditions are not directly applicable to everyone reading these thoughts, the vision of these traditions is most definitely applicable - unless the educated learn and teach these traditions, these traditions will die and so while we are alive let us ensure this remains a hypothetical

"I heard and I forgot. I saw and I forgot. I did and I remembered it forever." --- Benjamin Franklin

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Hari Om from Mumbai (and specifically from Sandeepany Sadhanalaya, my 'birthplace')!

The most intimate, immediate, illuminating Knowledge is of the Self. We are Infinite. We feel finite. Why? We are looking at ourselves with our eyes. We are not looking at ourselves with empathy. To be able to 'see' what cannot be seen with the eyes we need purity. And purity is the purpose of our samskaras, the purpose of our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (December 12, 2011) --- Growing with Samskaras

-Our Rishis were truly Seers in initiating satsanga even before a child is born (prenatal) - more important than vitality in the body is nobility in the mind

5. Namakarana is naming of the newborn after 11 days, a name which will unconsciously be their favourite amongst all names (i.e. we may not hear other names being called but we always hear our own) - a name cannot be disassociated from the respective qualities and so a divine name triggers remembrance of divine qualities (i.e. Rama reminds us of compassion)

6. Nishkramana is when the 4 month old child is taken by the father to the Temple for the first time - during this darshan (homage), symbolically the child is introduced to his/her Original parents and encouraged to seek Them, while the parents are introduced to their Divine child and encouraged to serve him/her

7. Annaprashana is when the child's digestive system and teeth are matured enough to be able to eat solid food for the first time at the age of 6 months - water and plants are worshipped during this satsanga not only because these parts of Mother Earth will sustain the child but we are what we eat and when we ingest that which is pure we invoke that which is pure (i.e. peace)

8. Karnavedha is when the child's ears are pierced with a thin gold wire which is then looped and cut, at the age of 7 months - Sushruta, a master of Ayurveda, has expounded that this samskara achieves the purpose of stimulating a nerve in the earlobe connected to the brain inspiring mental well-being

-A healthy body encourages a healthy mind, a healthy mind encourages a healthy intellect, a healthy intellect encourages healthy seeking and healthy seeking encourages Happiness - each and every one of our samskaras is a simple, succinct, striking reminder to live as a seeker and not as a wanderer

This week i have reached a milestone on my journey to the Divine...i have been asked to speak at Sandeepany Sadhanalaya, the foremost institution of Vedantic studies. i bow my head and mind low to the feet of my Guru, Pujya Swami Tejomayanandaji for this joy instilling opportunity...

"When God solves our problems, we have faith in His abilities; when God does not solve our problems, He has faith in our abilities." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Hari Om from Coimbatore!

We are deep into the Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra (CIY). The last few days we have lived at Adi Shankara Nilayam, the actual birthplace of Bhagavan Adi Shankaracharya. Who is...

BHAGAVADPADA ACHARYA SANKARA WAS NOT ONLY A GREAT THINKER AND THE NOBLEST OF ADVAITIC PHILOSOPHERS, BUT HE WAS ESSENTIALLY AN INSPIRED CHAMPION OF HINDUISM AND ONE OF THE MOST VIGOROUS MISSIONARIES IN OUR COUNTRY. --- Excerpt from Sankara, The Spiritual General by Swami Chinmayananda

What does Bhagavan Adi Shankaracharya have to do with us? His life and teachings are a 'lighthouse' in guiding us to purify the mind, to free the mind. Our samskara-s serve the same purpose. And so we continue with the 3/4 of our samskara-s presented by the E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (December 19, 2011) --- Samskara-s Create Seekers

-The young and the old often trick themselves and each other into believing growing older means growing wiser yet this is an illusory insight - only when we consciously think about our experiences do we learn from them and so all our samskara-s encourage us to think, think and think more about our experiences

9. Chudakarana is when the child's head is shaved at the age of 1 or 3, sans a shikha (a tuft/strand of hairs at the upper back portion of the head) - the shikha symbolizes that the only attachment a evolving child should have is to the Guru (means), that the only desire a evolving child should have is to Enlightenment (End)

10. Aksharabhyasa/Vidyarambham is when the child is introduced to the akshara-s (alphabets) at the age of 5 by being given a golden pen and guided to write the askhara-s on a bed of rice or wheat - this rice or wheat is then cooked (our efforts to understand the message of the Scriptures), offered (the purpose of secular and sacred education is to serve society and know Thyself) to the Divine and received (learning we are Akshara [Indestructible]) as blessings

11. Upanayanam is when the child transforms into a student at the age of 8 to 12 by being bestowed with the yajnopavita/janoi (sacred thread) and being upa (near) nayanam (led) to the Guru (the dispeller of ignorance), Gayatri Mantra (the sound symbol which empowers one to cross over sorrow) and God (the Generator-Operator-Destroyer) - the sacred thread 'divides' the body in half encouraging the student to cease from focusing on the genital organ and stomach and to commence focusing on the heart and head

12. Samavartana is when the student has sincerely learned how to be a responsible citizen in every facet of living (i.e. physically, mentally, intellectually, etc.) and so is ready to enter the grhastashrama (being a householder) - in this ceremony the student seeks permission from the Acharya to leave the Gurukula and offers dakshina (an expression of gratitude for the sacrifice the Acharya has taken on to teach the student and to support the Acharya's noble service towards other students) showing the calibre of the developed personality

-A student is called a dvi-ja (twice-born) for he/she was given a biological birth by the mother/father and is given a religious birth by the Acharya - the mother/father teach a child how to be healthy, the Acharya teaches a student how to be happy and regardless of which role and which responsibility, our mothers, fathers and Acharyas are the Divine with a form and name

This E-Vichara was to be sent to all of you last week. In the 2 1/2 years of sharing E-Vichara-s, i have always been disciplined in sending reflections within the limit of the week. This week, on account of lacking a consistent computer and internet connection combined with constant traveling, i have been unable to fulfil this commitment. My apologies to all. i shall be more disciplined moving forward...

"There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever." --- Mahatma Gandhi

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Hari Om from Siruvani!

All that is born has to die. A mind that is pure has to Realize. As the calendar year comes to a conclusion, the exploration of our samskara-s comes to a completion. Our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (December 26, 2011) --- Solace in Samskara-s

-We often confuse being an adult with the maturity of the body (an unconscious process) when being an adult is about the maturity of the mind (a conscious process) - the samskara-s of Sanatana Dharma infuse the mind with the importance of constant satsanga, seva and sadhana allowing one to evolve not only to an adult but to Ananda

13. Vivaha (visheshena vahana iti vivaha - a distinct kind of upliftment is marriage) is when a student has evolved into an adult and so is ready to lift-support-uphold themselves, another being, another family, another society, another community, etc. - beautifully, vivaha and dharma are synonyms for through marriage one has the privilege to experientially learn about sacrifice, service and silence, all virtues necessary for Moksha

14. Panchamahayajna is the first samskara that individuals perform on their own and naturally this is for others - every human being is perpetually being nourished by the deva-s (nature), bhuta-s (creatures), samaj-s (societies), pitr-s (ancestors) and rishi-s (seers) and to perpetually offer gratitude for all we receive is a great sacrifice to these five givers

15. Vanaprastha is the expression of courage of one who has lived by dharma and so is strong enough to retreat within ('residing in the forest') - only a purified mind can grow past focusing on fortune, family, fame and can grow into focusing on Freedom

16. Antyeshti is when the body dies and the dynamic expression of the elements (space, air, fire, water and earth) returns to a static condition - when the body falls, the mind rises and so the only friend at the time of death is our merits, is our thoughts, is our knowledge, all encrypted in the software (mind), not the hardware (body) nor the electricity (Soul)

-The purpose of living is to know intimately, not intellectually, that we were never born and we will never die - the profundity of this purpose can only be absorbed and acted upon by a pure mind, by a mind seeking solace in samskara-s

Studying the samskara-s...check. What is our next subject? We shall have to wait until next year to find out...

May the Divine and Guru Parampara bless all of us for a safe and serene 2012. Om Tat Sat l

"A ship on the port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." --- Grace Murray Hopper

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Hari Om from Kolwan!

How often do we hear/read statements along the lines of: Youth are the future of society! Youth will be the next leaders!! Youth are our only hope!!! Yet, how often do we actually believe these statements? We better start believing. As the teachers in our schools, trustees in our organizations and toastmasters in our governments continue to age, who is going to step up when they step down? In the business field, an entity is valued within the framework of being ongoing. This logical principle should not apply to business alone rather should apply to every entity (i.e. a university, a undertaking, a union, etc.). And this subtle insight is the foundation for the Chinmaya Yuva Kendra (CHYK - CHYK [http://chykwest.com/wordpress/]). A demographic with unmatched intelligence, unmatched talents and unmatched capacity. And if given guidance, unmatched potential. 20 of these CHYKs were recently led to Bharat (India) - the land of illumination. 20 Days of listening to Masters, learning at Ashrams (monasteries) and living with guidance. The product of 20 CHYKs for 20 days is beyond calculation. Still, for all those who missed this precious pilgrimage, we share our prasada through the E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (January 2, 2012) --- the Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra: Leg 1 - Jnana

-Sandeepany Sadhanalaya (http://chinmayamission.com/ashram-sandeepany-mumbai.php) is one of the foremost Vedantic Institutions to have ever existed in the universe - naturally this would be the case considering this Ashram is the brainchild of one of the foremost Vedantic Masters to have ever existed in the universe, Pujya Swami Chinmayananda

-A name (i.e. Acharya) and form (i.e. Ashram) does not make one great, rather the essence of one does and the essence of all great ones, regardless of field, is knowledge of the field (i.e. Wayne Gretzky in hockey, Warren Buffet in investing, Winston Churchill in leadership, etc.) - the essence of all knowledges is Jnana (Self Knowledge) for this frees one from being dependent on any other knowledge

-Pujya Swami Tejomayananda shared the Truth is indescribable, thought not in-experienceable - the Guru teaches us to know the Truth using no equipments (meditation to Meditation)

-Swami Ishwarananda shared the ego is persistent for we are perpetually concerned with our image - when we have faith in ourselves we can drop the ego and hold the Self

-Swami Advayananda shared in worldly pursuits the more we gain the more we lose (i.e. satisfying greed grows greed) - why do we make the choice to pursue artha (finitude) when we can pursue Ananta (Infinitude)

-Brahmachari Samvid shared that bhakti (devotion), jnana (knowledge) and vairagya (independence) will always be protected as long as Srimad Bhagavatam is protected - whenever sad we should read 2 pages of Srimad Bhagavatam

Stay tuned for further insights into the outward expression of our inward journey...

"Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside." --- Ramana Maharshi

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Hari Om from Chicago!

A yatra is an outward expression of an inward journey. By turning within we rediscover true efficiency, true Ecstasy. Every year we should commit to an external yatra. Every day we should commit to an internal yatra. Reflections from the Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra is the prasada we continue to share through our E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (January 9, 2012) --- the Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra: Leg 2 - Vichara

-Chinmaya International Foundation is the birthplace of Bhagavan Adi Shankara - need more insights be shared

-Just as food can benefit the body only when digested so too Knowledge can benefit the mind only when internalized - the difference between thinking (the constant meaningless dialogue the mind is habituated to) and reflecting (the focused meaningful analysis the mind needs to be habituated to) can be equated to the difference in effectiveness of one who is unconscious and one who is conscious

-Swami Ramakrishnananda shared whenever we have a problem we either escape the circumstance, change the circumstance and/or suffer the circumstance - the technique on how to handle problems is Philosophy

-The person with less thoughts is beautiful - knowing this, are our Masters not more beautiful than our models

-Our 'shell', forever limiting us, is the ego and this ego can only be broken at the altar of the Divine - when limitations (ignorance) are lost, Limitlessness (Infinity) is found

-Once one has a taste of living in an ashram, the false valuations we offer to comfort, entertainment and pleasure is constricted - a genuine student at a genuine ashram learns to not need to physically remain at the ashram for wherever he/she goes he/she continues to 'live in the ashram' carrying and creating the ananda of an ashram everywhere, every moment

On January 13, 2008 i formally began 'teaching' Vedanta. That day at Chinmaya Dhara in Niagara Falls, Canada i shared thoughts on Bhaja Govindam to the adults and Bleeding the Truth to the youth. Four years of growing satsanga, seva and sadhana are complete. i humbly offer my gratitude to the Divine, to the Guru Parampara and to the people for offering me the opportunity to 'study' Vedanta for four years. i am moved by the dream of being able to continue to study and share until this instrument is no longer needed...

If i could summarize what i have learned in 2011, this would be encapsulated in the quote the ever present Pujya Gurudev 'gave' to me as prasada after Chinmaya Jivan Darshan.

"Take insults and praises as His prasada." --- Swami Chinmayananda

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

Postby AcharyaVivek » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:07 am

Hari Om Everyone,

Who is an Acharya? One who leads an exemplary life. As seekers, if we follow this lead, we too will be exemplary. The aspiration of the CIY was/is to connect shishya-s from the West with Acharya-s of the East...in the Ashram-s where shishya-s transformed to become Acharya-s...Sandeepany Sadhanalaya, Adi Shankara Nilayam...we continue to evolve within through exploring without on our Yatra together through the E-Vichara...

E-Vichara (January 16, 2012) --- the Chinmaya Inspiration Yatra: Leg 3 - Abhyasa

-Chinmaya International Residential School (www.cirschool.org) was the 'last' project Pujya Swami Chinmayananda formally initiated - Chinmaya International Residential School is the 'first' project Pujya Swami Tejomayananda formally completed

-To be peaceful in a controlled environment is natural, is easy - to be peaceful in an uncontrolled environment demands practice (abhyasa), is real

-Swami Swaroopananda shared believing a finite path (actions) will lead us to an Infinite destination (our Nature) is a journey that will never end - all bmi-s are impermanent, all abc-s are impermanent and all contact between these equipments and entities are impermanent so where is the question of permanency

-A righteous leader is one in whose kingdom none go hungry and if someone steals for food, the leader should be punished - money belongs to us, not the world's resources and if we believe otherwise, we are thieves

-Nature is most sensual for enjoyment can be evoked sans lust - excessive food eats us (we feel less energized after overeating)

-The tendency of the mind is to devolve from sattva (ease) to rajas (excitement) when introduced to a crowd for some, when immersed in a crowd for others (i.e. mob mentality) - the opportunity cost of succumbing to rajas is peace appreciating which, do whatever it takes to stay sattvic

Live Vedanta. How? Through Live Vedanta. Struggle unites us all. Struggle with our bodies, struggle with our families, struggle with our jobs, struggle with our service, struggle with our spirituality. We all struggle. And we all want direction to navigate through these struggles. Aspiring to share thoughts on the thoughts the many seekers i meet have, a Thursday every month from 9.45p-10.15p EST we will have a live webcast entitled Live Vedanta where answers to questions on how to live Vedanta will be shared. Please do not email me with questions as more than enough have already been asked in person. And most of us have universal questions (i.e. in our December Live Vedanta webcast we explored: 1. Devolving as Adults 2. Dealing with Conflicting Demands 3. Beware the Pseudo-Religious 4. Keeping Satsanga Alive 5. Engaging the Mind) so whether one has verbally asked a question or not, tune in. Our Live Vedanta webcast for this month will be on Thursday, January 26 at 9.45p EST at the following link - Live Vedanta (www.ustream.tv/channel/e-vichara)

"You can never make the same mistake twice because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, it's a choice." --- Unknown

Inspire-Love-Be
AcharyaVivek

PreviousNext

Return to Mananam with an acharya