Week 2 Queries

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Re: Week 2 Queries

Postby VivekJi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Dear Varun,

Sometimes a word is written with विसर्गः and sometimes without. To give an example from the class we can use the word कण्ठ or कण्ठः

Could you explain the idea behind this?

Much appreciated,
Vivek
VivekJi

Postby mpprabhu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 pm

नमस्कार Varunji -

I had these 2 questions related to ऋ & लृ

1) Why are ऋ & लृ considered as vowels ? Our general understanding of vowels are those sounds that are made without any restrictions posed in the mouth. These 2 vowels need to use of tongue to restrict the passage of air for pronouncing these sounds. So what qualifies these as vowels?

2) What is the difference in pronounciation between ऋ & र ? (except that ऋ is a shorter sound, more like र्)

Regards
Praful Prabhu
mpprabhu

Postby VarunKhanna » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:31 am

VivekJi wrote:Dear Varun,

Sometimes a word is written with विसर्गः and sometimes without. To give an example from the class we can use the word कण्ठ or कण्ठः

Could you explain the idea behind this?

Much appreciated,
Vivek

Dear Vivek ji,

Hari Om!

My apologies for the delay in responding. The word without the visarga in these instances is the प्रातिपदिक, the nominal stem, which is what one is supposed to use when not speaking in Sanskrit. But when speaking in Sanskrit, one must use the fully declined form of the word (with the visarga, in these cases). Technically I should only be saying कण्ठ and not कण्ठः when I'm speaking in English, but occasionally the fully declined Sanskrit word slips out! Hope this clarifies the issue.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Postby VarunKhanna » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 pm

mpprabhu wrote:नमस्कार Varunji -

I had these 2 questions related to ऋ & लृ

1) Why are ऋ & लृ considered as vowels ? Our general understanding of vowels are those sounds that are made without any restrictions posed in the mouth. These 2 vowels need to use of tongue to restrict the passage of air for pronouncing these sounds. So what qualifies these as vowels?

2) What is the difference in pronounciation between ऋ & र ? (except that ऋ is a shorter sound, more like र्)

Regards
Praful Prabhu

Dear Praful ji,

Hari Om!

Sorry for getting to this so late. Here goes...

1) ऋ and लृ are considered as vowels because they both have vowel components to them. They are the vowel forms of र् and ल्. Yes, the tongue needs to move (and sort of make contact!) to make them. They actually technically have two components each. They both have a vowel component and a consonant component (this will be utilized later on, especially in सन्धि rules). The vowel component of ऋ is written as ऋ, and the consonant component of ऋ is र्. Similarly with लृ, the vowel component is written as लृ and the consonant component is ल्. You are right to point this out. However, the fact that they are vowels can't be avoided because they are used as vowels in all Sanskrit literature and grammar. Some people say that the pronunciation of ऋ is like that of the Tamil "zh" sound, which would make it more vowel-y, but then the consonant component of ऋ would be lost. This is a long debated topic that I cannot fully do justice to right now. Suffice to say that it is justified, after all consideration, that ऋ and लृ are considered as vowels.

2) The difference in pronunciation between ऋ and र is like this: say अ, hold it out for as long as you can, and while you are saying अ also say र् inside it. Don't stop saying अ. This is how you pronounce ऋ. But to pronounce र, you have to first say र्, then say अ. That's all there is to it.

Hope this helps a bit! If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Week 2 Queries

Postby MichaelSwese » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:10 am

that sounds too good to be true.. I'd love to do 2 or 3 lesson plans a week... hahah but 2 every other month... do you teach elementary?
Sport nutrition here: https://www.sportzfuel.com/
MichaelSwese

Week 2 Queries

Postby missfortlog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Due to a cancellation Whiteface is in need of a week 1 Scrimmage. If you can fit in another team please contact Coach Cline at 806-678-8707. Thanks
missfortlog

Previous

Return to Sanskrit Webinar