Week 18 Homework question

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Postby Lilamayi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 am

Hari Om!
Dear Varun ji, (or anyone else who can help)

I'm currently catching up on the homework and had a question on wk. 18.

The homework called for us to make the special dhaatus such as ददा in लट् and लोट्.

I gather that there are some alternate ting pratyayas for abhyasta angas. I gathered from the lectures that लट् prathama purusha bahuvachanam has अति instead of अन्ति and that लोट् madhyama purusha ekavachanam has हि instead of ०, but I am not sure if there are any other special endings or what the rules are for using them.

Is it possible you could add a chart of these alternate endings here or in the notes for each lakara and if they are used for only certain ganas to list which ones? I think I would be a lot clearer about the process if there were somewhere to refer to this.

Thanks so much!

Best,
Lilamayi
Lilamayi

Re: Week 18 Homework question

Postby jazirae » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 am

I too had this question, so I researched it using William Whitney’s book, Sanskrit Grammar. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Sanskrit_Grammar/Chapter_IX#227

I tried to put it all here in my reply, but all the tabs and columns got obliterated by the forum's limitations. So now I have tried to put it in a Word 2007 file and upload it. Hope it works. The file is called "Tiṅ class differences", you can find it among Class Materials, Uploads by Students (top of second column).

Jazirae
jazirae

Postby KalisaNok » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for all of the independent investigation you do Ann. Its always nice to have original information that wasnt distilled from an AP story.
Men's power - I recommend
KalisaNok

Return to Sanskrit Webinar