Week 19 homework questions

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Postby Lilamayi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Hari Om!
Dear Varun ji,

I hope I am not asking too many questions on the forum--I see that it is not really active, but I did have some questions about the week 19 homework if you have time to answer.

1. For जुहु धातु in juhotyaadi gana, I see listed in the tables in the dhaatupatha that
for लोट् लकार, मध्यम पुरुष, एकवचनम् the form is "जुुहुधि". How does this come? I thought it would be simply "जुहु" because of lopa of "हि"due to "उतश्च प्रत्ययात् असमयोगपूर्वात्".

2. Also in juhotyaadi gana, चिकि dhaatu. लोट् लकार, उत्तम पुरुष, एकवचनम्, the form given in the text is "चिकयानि"
This is a pit pratyaya so guna should apply, then echoyavayava, which it looks like that is what happened to get this form, but I am wondering why "एरनेकाचो'सम्योगपूर्वस्य" did not apply instead, making the form "चिक्यानि"? In my notes I have that it applies to all ajaadi pratyayas and would seem that it is a more specific sutra than "सर्वाधातुकार्दधातुकायो:". Does "एरनेकाचो'सम्योगपूर्वस्य" only apply to apit pratyayas?

3. इवर्णन्त
Why does इण् धातु become in लङ् लकार ऐत्, ऐ:,ऐतम् etc. instead of एत्, ए:, एतम् etc.? Looks like it is taking vrddhi instead of guna?

4. उवर्णन्त
When you have a श्नु vikaranam asamyogapurvasya anga (चिनु), do you use sutra 1 "हुश्नुवो: सार्वधातुके" or 3 "अचि श्नुधातुभ्रुवाम् य्वोर् इयङुवङौ"? It seems both could apply. Am I correct to assume that the reason sutra 1 applies for this dhaatu is because it is refers to more specific conditions?

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Very best,
Lilamayi
Lilamayi

Re: Week 19 homework questions

Postby Maheu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Lilamayi, did you find the answer to number 4?
Maheu

Postby MichaelSwese » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:27 pm

that sounds too good to be true.. I'd love to do 2 or 3 lesson plans a week... hahah but 2 every other month... do you teach elementary?
Sport nutrition here: https://www.sportzfuel.com/
MichaelSwese

Return to Sanskrit Webinar