Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds Chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.
Forum rules
Bringing back the much enjoyed open discussion on the Gita, for general public. Proceeds chapter and verse wise. For the keen student seeking a deep understanding of Krishna’s counsel! Registration necessary.

Re: Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga

Postby Arvind » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 am

Sloka 14
सर्वमेतदृतं मन्ये यन्मां वदसि केशव ।
न हि ते भगवन्व्यक्तिं विदुर्देवा न दानवाः ॥

To me who has surrendered, you have told Me about your glory. And believe whatever you say is true, I do not doubt it.
Your manifestations, your glories neither the Devatas know nor the Asuras, the sons of Danu. These people are possessed of greater knowledge, but still they do not know You.
Then who knows the Lord ?

Sloka 15
स्वयमेवात्मनात्मानं वेत्थ त्वं पुरुषोत्तम ।
भूतभावन भूतेश देवदेव जगत्पते ॥

Now Arjuna addresses the Lord by further eulogy with some specific terms-
(1) पुरुषोत्तम = That is to say the Lord knows Himself by Himself. Not even Virat or Hiranyagarbha can know Him, for He is even their substratum.
(2) भूतभावन - He is the source of all beings, he is the abhinna numitta upadhana karana
(3) भूतेश - He is the Lord of all beings, he is the sustainer.
(4) देवदेव - He is the source of even the Devas. The Devas have their existence because of Him.
(5) जगत्पते - The Lord is the Ruler. One is ablity to create, another is to rule over the created.

Such being the case, स्वयमेवात्मनात्मानं वेत्थ - you alone can can tell me of your glory, none else.

The dreamer can never know whether he is the waker unless he wakes up. The Lord is not known as a subject, but in out own hearts, by Himself and not as an object of perception. By becoming one with God we can know him in the deepest meditations. By abiding in the Self alone we can know the true nature of the Self.

The Self being Pure Awareness, it in itself is Knowledge- no other Knowledge is needed to know It. Therefore says Arjuna - 'You Yourself know Yourself by Yourself'.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:26 am

HARI OM

VERSES-12 AND 13

In these verses Arjuna praises the supreme Lord wishing to know more and more detail about the Lord's phenomenal transcendental opulence. Arjuna says that Lord alone is param brahma the supreme ultimate Truth,the absolute Lord of all and param dhama the supreme ultimate absolute abode of all. The most holy, the most sacred, the most exalted, the pinnacle of attainment. Why is this so? Because the Vedas sing his glories and call him resplendent,self effulgent, eternal and everlasting. Without a beginning omniscient , omnipotent, and all pervading. The primeval Lord of all Lords,the primordial Lord of all Lords , the source of every and any and all conceivable divinity.
All the mahatmas or great liberated sages such as Asita, Devala and Bregu as well as avatars divine incarnations such as Narada and Vyasa claims this. And now Lord Krishna revealing as well.

Verse-14
In this verse Arjuna is asserting that whatever Lord Krishna said is absolutely factual and not any metaphorical description. This means that every word that Lord speaks is the absolute reality and his extra ordinary and infinite glories and illustrious qualities and phenomenal attributes are always manifest and eternal. Thus Lord Krishna is known as Bhagavan the complete possesser of the six opulences : total power, total beauty, total wisdom, total wealth, total fame, and total renunciation.Neither the Devah or demigods nor the danav or demons being of limited understanding have the ability to understand him and perceive his identity in full.

Verse-15
Lord Krishna has been addressed here as Purushottama meaning the supreme personality and it is being conformed that only he can be cognizant of his own self by his own knowledge and none other. The word bhuta-bhavana means universal father denoting the progenitor of all beings. The word bhutesa means the Lord of all beings indicating the absolute controller.The words jagatpate refers to Jaganntha the Lord and Master of all creation. The words Deva-deva means God of Gods and instructs that even as the demigods excel in innumerable auspicious qualities of form, beauty, aesthetics,etc. over lower and lower creations such as human ,animal,birds, and reptiles. In the same way the supreme Lord excels over all of the demigods and any other conceivable God as well.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:12 am

Hari Om,

Let us now see Slokas 16, 17 and 18.

Word and Sloka Meaning: Arvind
HGRR: Kishan
Thoughts and Reflections : All

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Verse 12,13,14,15
Arjuna having understood glories of lord requests for further information on divine expressions. Arjuna says- You are described by sruthis and smrithis (BY rishis )like asitha, narada, devala, vyasa as
Param brahma- nirguna brahma- the supreme
Param dama- final abode / detination- complete cessation of samasara
Pavithram- supreme purifier most auspicious ,Paramam- srestam
Purusham- poornatvat, Sasvatham- which is there always
Divyam- divine/ chaithnya swaroopa,Adi devam- soure of all devas including hiranya garba
Ajam- unborne,Vibum- vyapakam pervading everywhere.
Now bagavan himself is telling the same.

Having understood his glories Arjuna now is convinced that only Krishna is capable of explaining the supreme truth to him
Arjuna expresses faith in his teacher ”Oh lord- I regard all what you have told me as truth . your glories have not been understood by neither devatas nor asuras.
Kshara and akshara aspect will not come to know the swaroopa of lord. Only one who abides as self knows self.
What is the special quality of lord which makes arjuna to have such faith in him -Arjuna further addresses lord as purushthama -. Who is purushothama-
one who is
Bhootha bavana- abinna nimitha upadana karana
Bhoothesha- controller
Devadeva- lord of lords .sarvajnathva and sarvashakthiman
Jagatpathe- one who protects
So - “you being purushothama you alone are capable of knowing yourself through yourself”.who else is capable of imparting the supreme truth
lakssg

Postby Payyubg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:12 am

Verses 12,13,14 and 15:

Arjuna, having listened to Bhagawan' s speech, finally begins to comprehend what is taking place there, to whom he is talking to , and the magnitude of the situation is sinking in.
He begins by extolling Bhagawan as the supreme Brahman- supreme self, the supreme abode, the highest form capable of the highest level of purification, the ever lasting, unborn and all pervading.

Arjun is in total amazement and is trying to make sense of it all by reassuring himself that what he just heard is probably the truth , since the very same things were spoken by Rishis like Vasistha, Narada, Asita, Devala and Vyasa.

Arjuna then concludes that it is logical to say or confirm that it must be the truth. It unknown to others , both gods and demons , as they have not experienced the truth about Bhgawan's manifestations.

Arjuna then speaks out in praise of Bhagawan, as being the knower of the self through himself, as he himself is the supreme self, lord of all the beings, gods and the world.
Payyubg

Postby Payyubg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:22 am

Verses 16,17 and 18:
Arjuna wants to hear in entirety Bhagawan's magnificent and divine powers, through which Bhagawan pervades all the worlds.
Arjuna also wants Bhagawan to explain or rather list out all the objects by which he can meditate upon, in order to discover / understand Bhagawan. Arjun has still not reached that level of abstract thinking and feels he requires objects to keep in mind while meditating. In sloka 18 , Arjuna was not satisfied and craved to hear Bhagawan once more because Bhagawan's utterances were like nectar to the ears.
Payyubg

Postby lakssg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Verse 16,17,
ARJUNA is now curious to hear more about the glories of Lord which are divine . Arjuna tells “You only can tell about it - how you exist in the universe pervading everywhere .Seeing and thinking about it my mind will be lifted. This shows he now wants a clear picture of essence behind the world of multiplicity .
Arjuna gives the reason why he wants to know in detail about the manifestations of lord
To know the real nature of the Lord-how can he see and reflect and contemplate up on the Lord and ultimately know the real nature of the Lord.
How can one see the Lord everywhere and in everything- in what way he can see Lord in all the different aspects/ categories in the world so that he sees only the supreme Lord everywhere
It was not an intellectual curiosity but he wanted to know the essence behind the world of multiplicity

Verse 18
Arjuna”s eagerness to know more and more about the supreme truth is characteristic of a sincere student - never satisfied by hearing glories of lord again and again. He calls it amritham- He wants to know in great detail so that his mind will attain purity and always be with the Lord .
lakssg

Postby Arvind » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 am

Sloka 16
वक्तुमर्हस्यशेषेण दिव्या ह्यात्मविभूतयः ।
याभिर्विभूतिभिर्लोकानिमांस्त्वं व्याप्य तिष्ठसि ॥

Word to Word Meaning
वक्तुम = To tell
अर्हस्य = You should
अशेषेण= without any reserve, in completeness
दिव्या= the Divine
ह्यात्मविभूतयः = your glories
याभिर् = by which
विभूतिभिर् = your glories
लोकानिमांस्त्वं = these worlds
व्याप्तिष्ठसि = having pervaded (you) exist

Full Sloka Meaning:
You should indeed, without reserve, tell me of your Divine glories by which you exist pervading all these worlds.

Sloka 17
कथं विद्यामहं योगिंस्त्वां सदा परिचिन्तयन्‌ ।
केषु केषु च भावेषु चिन्त्योऽसि भगवन्मया ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
कथं = How
विद्यामहं = shall I know
योगिंस्त्वां = O Yogin
सदा = always
परिचिन्तयन्‌ = meditating
केषु केषु = in what and what
च भावेषु = and in (what) aspects
चिन्त्योऽसि = to be thought of
भगवन्मया = (Are you) My Lord by me

Full Sloka Meaning:
How shall I, ever meditating, know You, O Yogin? In what aspects or forms, O Blessed Lord, are You to be thought of by me?

Sloka 18
विस्तरेणात्मनो योगं विभूतिं च जनार्दन ।
भूयः कथय तृप्तिर्हि श्रृण्वतो नास्ति मेऽमृतम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
विस्तरेणात्मनो= In detail your
योगं = Yoga
विभूतिं = and glory
चजनार्दन = as well O Janardhana
भूयः = again
कथय= tell me
नास्ति तृप्तिर्हि = for I am not content
श्रृण्वतो = (of) hearing
मेऽमृतम्‌ = (your) nectar (speech)

Full Sloka Meaning:
Tell me again, in detail, O Janardhana of your Yoga-power and immanent glory; for I do not feel satisfied by hearing your life giving and so nectar like speech.
Arvind

Postby umakishan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:49 pm

HGRR Thoughts and Concepts (16)
What are the four requests made by Arjuna to the Lord in the tenth Chapter?

Arjuna makes the following four requests to the Lord:
(1) Tell me about Your Divine Glories through which You exist, pervading all these worlds.
(2) How shall I, ever-meditating, know You?
(3) In what aspects or things are You to be thought of by me?
(4) Tell me in detail Your 'yoga-power' and immanent glory.

The following three verses enumerate these four requests of Arjuna:
वक्तुमर्हस्यशेषेण दिव्या ह्यात्मविभूतयः ।
याभिर्विभूतिभिर्लोकानिमांस्त्वं व्याप्य तिष्ठसि ॥ (16)
कथं विद्यामहं योगिंस्त्वां सदा परिचिन्तयन्‌ ।
केषु केषु च भावेषु चिन्त्योऽसि भगवन्मया ॥ (17)
विस्तरेणात्मनो योगं विभूतिं च जनार्दन ।
भूयः कथय तृप्तिर्हि श्रृण्वतो नास्ति मेऽमृतम्‌ ॥ (18)

HGRR Selections for Reflection (5)
Satsanga has a chastening effect upon all intelligent and interested listeners. This intoxication vicariously experienced by the students when a true teacher discourses upon the Truth is only a temporary exhilaration, a passing mood of false peace, which cannot stand in a good stead when the student is left all alone by himself. However volatile it may be, it can enchant the new initiates and some may become addicted to it. Though this is not the end this is a good beginning no doubt, and those who feel a fulfillment in the study of philosophy are certainly much more noble than the thousands who cannot even stand a philosophical discourse discussing the nature of the Divine! (10.18)

Hari Om
umakishan

Postby Arvind » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Verses 16,17, 18

Arjuna asks the Lord about his divine glories. Arjuna is not satisfied with minor details, he says he wants it in full detail. Since the glories of the Lord pervade all the three worlds, hence Arjuna expects an exhaustive description of Bhagavan of his glories. He has understood the Lord is both Transcendental (Vibhuti) and Immanent (Yoga) in all names and forms. Hence the demand to know the manifestation of the Lord in full details.

Not only that, how can I come to know meditating upon you. In which aspect or particular form should I meditate upon? The idea is the entire manifestation is of the Lord, Arjuna wants to know which particular place or manifestation is the Lord to be meditated upon?

Arjuna says that he wants to hear more about the Lord's glories, there is no satiety in holding to the Lord's ambrosial speech.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:31 am

Hari Om,

Thank you all for your thoughts on Slokas 16-18.

Now let us see Slokas 19 and 20, where Bhagavan starts replying to Arjuna and starts explaining his Vibhuti and Yoga. First the Lord talks points his Yoga (that he is immanent as the Self of All) in Sloka 20.

Sloka and Word Meaning : Arvind
HGRR : Kishan
Thoughts and Reflections : Everyone

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby murugans61 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:52 am

Hari OM
In these verses 12-18, Arjuna requests Lord Krishna to give the details of His glories ( manifestations) which will help him in upasana. Each expression of God in the universe can become a symbol for upasana. When we see every glory as the expression of God, it becomes the appreciation of Virat, which helps in the expansion of the mind.

Pranams
murugans61

Postby Arvind » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am

Sloka 19
श्रीभगवानुवाच
हन्त ते कथयिष्यामि दिव्या ह्यात्मविभूतयः ।
प्राधान्यतः कुरुश्रेष्ठ नास्त्यन्तो विस्तरस्य मे ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
श्रीभगवानुवाच = The Lord spoke
हन्त= Alas!
ते = To you
कथयिष्यामि= (I) will declare
दिव्या= the divine
ह्यात्मविभूतयः = indeed my glories
प्राधान्यतः= in their prominence
कुरुश्रेष्ठ = O best of the Kurus
नास्त्यन्तो = there is no end
विस्तरस्य मे = of my details (glories)

Full Sloka Meaning:
The Lord spoke-
Alas! Now I will declare to you my divine glories, immanent in their prominence, O best of the Kurus, there is no end to the details of My extent.

Sloka 20
अहमात्मा गुडाकेश सर्वभूताशयस्थितः ।
अहमादिश्च मध्यं च भूतानामन्त एव च ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
अहमात्मा= I am the Self
गुडाकेश = O Gudakesa
सर्वभूताशय = in the hearts of all beings
स्थितः = seated
अहमादिश्च = I am the beginning
मध्यं च = I am the middle
भूतानाम = of all beings
अन्त = the end
एव च = as well

Full Sloka Meaning:
I am the Self, O Gudakesa, seated in the hearts of all beings; I am the beginning, the middle and also the end of all beings.
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:48 pm

HARI OM
VERSE-16
Since all the glories are God's own manifestations and because no one other than He knows them in their entirety, He alone and no one else can describe them in full.Arjuna seeks to convey that he would not be contented with a description of only those glories which are manifested in this mortal world alone. He likes to hear a full account of all His glories by which He stands revealed in various forms in all the worlds including the celestial regions.

VERSE-17
Arjuna puts two questions in this verse.Firstly, he seeks to know some device where by he may be able to practice constant rememberance of the Lord with faith and love, and may know Him fully well along with His virtues, glory and reality.Secondly He is anxious to know which particular objects, forming part of this universe of sentient and insentient beings should be taken to be his manifestations and meditated upon as such. Arjuna wants to know how and in what particular forms he should constantly think of him so as to be comprehend His virtues, glory,truth and secrets easily.

Verse-18
In this verse Arjuna is requesting the Lord to elaborate in more detail and supply further facts about His Vibhuti or supreme transcendental opulence and his supreme yoga , in regard to His supreme ruler-ship through out all creation.Arjuna confess that listening to His unparalleled instructions is exactly like ambrosial nectar and he is never satiated by it.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 am

Sloka 19-
In response to Arujna's request to Bhagavan to explain his Vibhuti, Bhagavan says - 'हन्त'- 'Alas'! Bhagavan expresses this as as an emotion of wonder, compassion or agreement all put together, as it is not possible to tell all of the Lord's glories as Arjuna wished. The glories are endless, how can they all be exhausted ?

Hence to reach a compromise to Arjuna the Lord says I will tell प्राधान्यतः- I will tell them in their prominence. Infinite are my Vibhutis, and infinite will be the time to describe them, and yet they cannot be fully described. Hence the Lord says I will tell you whatever is important and this will help you shift your mind from the lower.
Hence the Vibhutis which the Lord will give are for us to meditate, and to shift our mind from the lower and purify it as well.

Sloka 20-
Bhagavan addresses Arjuna as गुडाकेश, गुडाकेश means one who does not sleep, or one who has conquered sleep It basically is used to indicate one who has no laziness, one who is dynamic.

Bhagavan here says his Yoga, that as the Self he is immanent in all, he pervades all. He as the Self is सर्वभूताशयस्थितः, as Consciousness he exists in all beings. This is the Lord's real nature, and his greatest Vibhiti which is experienced in our own hearts. This is his Yoga.

But what about his Vibhuti, his external manifestations in the world? The Lord says I am the beginning, the middle as well as the end. All things are born in Me, exist in Me (having me as the Support) as well as disappear in Me- just as the various shapes of the pots are made from mud, exists in mud and go back to mud when the pots are broken.
In this way, meditating upon the Lord one can realize Him.
Hari Om
Arvind

Postby sathiavathi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 am

HARI OM
VERSE-19
As requested by Arjuna Lord Krishna agrees to reveal more about his Vibhuti or divine ,transcendental opulence; but only those most prominent as there is no limit to his opulence and his glories are endless. The use of vocative particle hanta inferring dear one is very personal and indicates compassionate affection.

Verse-20
In this verse Lord describes the nature of his supreme divinity commencing with the reality that he is the Supreme Soul residing in the heart of all sentiment beings as monitor of all their thought and actions. Then He reveals that He is the sole cause of all living entities in existence which includes their beginning or origin , their middle meaning their continuance and
their ending which means dissolution.
sathiavathi

Postby Arvind » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 am

Hari Om,

Thanks everyone for your reflections. Now let us see Slokas 21-24. From Sloka 21 till almost the end of this Chapter Bhagavan describes his Vibhutis. These are meant for reflection, and then meditating to purify our minds, hence it is upasana.

Word and Sloka Meaning: Arvind
Reflections : All members

Pranams
Arvind
Arvind

Postby Arvind » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:05 am

Sloka 21
आदित्यानामहं विष्णुर्ज्योतिषां रविरंशुमान्‌ ।
मरीचिर्मरुतामस्मि नक्षत्राणामहं शशी ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
आदित्यानाम = Among the Adityas
अहं = I am
विष्णुर् = Visnu
ज्योतिषां = Among the lights
रविरंशुमान्‌ = I am the radiant Sun
मरीचिर्मरुताम = Among the Maruchis the Marut
अस्मि = I am
नक्षत्राणाम = Among the stars
अहं = I am
शशी = the Moon

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among the (twelve) Adityas I am Vishnu, among the luminaries I am the radiant Sun; I am the Marichi among the Maruts; among stars I am the moon.

Sloka 22
वेदानां सामवेदोऽस्मि देवानामस्मि वासवः ।
इंद्रियाणां मनश्चास्मि भूतानामस्मि चेतना ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
वेदानां = Among the Vedas
सामवेदोऽ = Sama Veda
अस्मि = I am
देवानाम = Among the Devas
अस्मि = I am
वासवः = Vasava
इंद्रियाणां = Among the senses
मनश्चास्मि = I am the mind
भूतानाम = Among the living beings
अस्मि = I am
चेतना = intelligence

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among the Vedas, I am the Sama Veda; I am Vasava among the Gods; among the senses I am the mind; and I am intelligence among living beings.

Sloka 23
रुद्राणां शङ्‍करश्चास्मि वित्तेशो यक्षरक्षसाम्‌ ।
वसूनां पावकश्चास्मि मेरुः शिखरिणामहम्‌ ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
रुद्राणां = Among the Rudras
शङ्‍करश्चा = Sankara
अस्मि = I am
यक्षरक्षसाम्‌ = Among the Yakshas and Rakshasas
वित्तेशो = I am Kubera or Vittesa
वसूनां = Among the Vasus
पावकश्चा = Pavaka
अस्मि = I am
मेरुः = Meru
शिखरिणाम = among the mountains
हम्‌ = I am

Full Sloka Meaning:
Among the Rudras I am Sankara; among the Yakshas and Rakshasas the Lord of wealth (Kubera); among the Vasus I am the Pavak (Agni); and among the mountains I am the Meru.

Sloka 24
पुरोधसां च मुख्यं मां विद्धि पार्थ बृहस्पतिम्‌ ।
सेनानीनामहं स्कन्दः सरसामस्मि सागरः ॥

Word to Word Meaning:
पुरोधसां च = Among the household priests
मुख्यं मां = I am the chief
विद्धि पार्थ = And know O Partha
बृहस्पतिम्‌ = as Brihaspati
सेनानीनाम = among the generals
अहं = I am
स्कन्दः = Skanda
सरसाम = among the lakes
अस्मि = I am
सागरः = the ocean

Full Sloka Meaning:
And among the household priests, O Partha, know Me as the chief, Brihaspati. Among generals, I am Skanda, and among lakes, I am the ocean.

Hari Om
Arvind

Postby lakssg » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:09 am

Verse 19
The Lord now replies-
Lord starts with the expression” hanta-Alas”- indicative of wonder and compassion. Hearing the request of Arjuna for a detailed explanation of His Vibuthi. the Lord promises that he will tell him about a few of important ones which will enable a sadhaka to reflect up on .There is no limit to glories of lord –it is impossible to enumerate all – who can explain infinite in a finite way.

Verse 20
The Lord now addresses Arjuna as Gudakesa- one who has conquered Tamas . This is indicative of the qualification in a fit student who can receive this knowledge - the Lord now imparts Atmavidya.
Lord starts with the doctrine of Vedantha- brahma sathyam jagan mithya.
Oh Arjuna-“i am the self seated in heart of all beings” meditate on this and you will know i am the Athma.
What about the world-Iam the beginning,middle and end of all beings. Beings are borne, sustain and dissolve in me only.
Both subject and object are Lord only . There is only Lord- the Brahman . This is the essence
lakssg

Postby Payyubg » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Slokas 19 and 20 :

The Lord says he is going to enumerate the most important of all of his divine powers, although it is almost impossible to give a detailed and exhaustive account of all of them.

Bhagawan addresses Arjuna as one who has conquered sleep, also remind in him that that is only the tip of the ice berg.
Bhagawan being present in all beings as the self should be meditated upon at all times. He is the beggining - the cause of all beings, the middle- reason for their existence , and the end- cause of their dissolution.
A per son who is incapable or net yet adept at meditating on The Lord in his subtle form of the self can meditate on Him as one who dwells in the objects that He lists out in the subsequent slokas.

This pretty much tells us that he is in everything single thing around us.
Payyubg

PreviousNext

Return to Bhagavad Gita Discussion Forum