Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Form your study group and study a chosen Vedanta text or shloka.

Re: Mananam on Hanuman Chalisa

Postby meera » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Om Sree Ganeshaya Namah!

वक्रतुंड महाकाय सूर्यकोटिसमप्रभ।
निर्विघ्नं कुरु मे देव सर्वकार्येषु सर्वदा॥

सरस्वति नमस्तुभ्यं वरदे कामरूपिणि ।
विद्यारम्भं करिष्यामि सिद्धिर्भवतु मे सदा ॥

गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णु गुरुर्देवो महेश्वरः
गुरु साक्षात् परब्रह्म तस्मै श्री गुरुवे नमः

We will begin our study of the Hanuman Chalisa again.

The posts are not traceable. By Hanumanji's grace the first 2 lines of the doha which I had posted last week, was in

my folder. But the one before that which I had posted about Hanumanji, who he is etc... I do not have. If any of you

have saved it, kindly send it to me pls.

First of all, our pranaam to Sri Ram, through whose grace a bhakta of Hanuman’s stature was made available for us to

hear about and glorify.

This chalisa has been composed by Tulsidasji. He has used the Avadhi language of Ayodhya (also known as Avadh or

that which cannot be destroyed a+vadh) So when we read references in first person, they are as expressed by

Tulsidasji.

Pranaam to Tulsidasji for inspiring in us the desire to develop bhakti a little like his own… may we manage to

cleanse ourselves adequately to create the purity of mind where can reside and grow bhakti.

Doha

Sri gurucharana Saroj Raj Nija mana mukuraSudhari
Baranau Raghuvar Vimala jasu Jo dhaayak phal chaar

Tulsidasji says, ‘ With the dust of my guru’s feet I cleanse my mind and prepare it to describe the spotlessly pure

glory of Hanumanji, who is the most exalted one in Sri Ram’s family, who has the prowess and capability to confer on

us the four kinds of fruit = the four purusharthas.’

Let us stay with the operative words: Raghuvar.

Normally, it would refer to Lord Rama, but technically, the descendant of the Raghu dynasty. Lord Rama was a

descendant of the Raghu vamsh. So were Lakshman, Bharat, Shatrughna.

Here Tulsidas refers to Hanumanji. Because he knows the entire Ramayan and we do not so we get confused as to why is

Hanuman called Raghuvar?

This is so because Hanuman was the adopted son of Lord Ram and Sita ma. It happens when Hanuman flies to Lanka with

the ring of Lord Rama to assure ma that help was on its way, Sita-ma recognising this true bhakta of Rama addresses

him as ‘suta’, son and showers him with blessings of every kind.

ajara amara gunanidhi suta hohu, karahun bahuta raghunayaka chohu.
karahu krupa prabhu asa suni kana, nirbhara prema magana hanumana. (sunderkand, verse 16)

And Hanumanji reciprocates by addressing Sita-ma as Mata. Thus the mother-son relationship is established. Later

when Hanuman returns from Lanka, Ramji also addresses him as son. (I can’t find the reference…sorry.)
Naturally, as their son he becomes a Raghuvamshi. Now Raghuvar is a special adjective for those raghuvamshis of

exceptional noble qualities. It seems to me like a superlative, if there are any Sanskrit scholars here, kindly

clarify.

When Tulsidasji praises Hanuman in this doha he is presenting not some ordinary assistant of Rama or such like, but

he actually says, Hanuman can confer the 4 purusharthas on you.

This doha is the preamble to singing the praise of Hanumanji. To do that we need to bathe, (symbolically), and

cleanse ourselves. But mere body bathing is not what is inferred here. Tulsidasji feels his mind must be pure,

cleansed, only then will his praises, his prayers travel in purity to Hanumanji.

Just as when we serve food on a plate, even if the food is of highest quality, wholesome, pure etc, if the plate is

unclean, whither the food’s purity? So we ensure the plate is clean. Ditto for our prayer to Hanuman, let us clean

out mind…..

Clean it off what? Of other thoughts, other distractions, anger, restlessness, hatred… and all that… all the unclean

vrittis.

Doubt/Interpretation: When it comes to man mukuru or mirror of my mind, I have chosen to interpret it as follows,

because I wondered why should the mirror of my mind be clean. Why mirror. Why not just mind. So I have an

interpretation and I request you all to ponder on it and see what you come up with…

Such a clean mind when it presents the prayer to Hanuman must shine with the glory of Bhagavan…only then can I

attract Hanumanji to my prayer. So my mind should reflect the glory of Bhagawan (Rama)…

I understand there are interpretations that say if the mind’s mirror is clean it will reflect Hanuman better… but I

just cleansed the whole mind itself, so then I wondered why the reference to a mirror…

And the mind is cleansed using the dust of my Guru’s feet. That means, I bow my head so low that my head touches

even the dust stuck under his feet… This is to sublimate the ego; the most unclean dirt of my mind is my ego. When I

prostrate before my Guru, I have offered to him my ego… once that dirt is gone, or once the dust of my guru’s feet

touches me, my ego vanishes and I am now cleansed to serve my prayer to Lord Hanuman

------------------------
When we discussed this last week, Umaji and Muruganji both posted a clarification and a correction, both of which

were very nice. Kindly post it again pls.

Hari Om!
meera

Postby meera » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm

ॐ रामभद्राय नमः om rämabhadräya namaù
Prostrations to the One who is an embodiment of auspiciousness.

I was waiting for your replies to my qs if any of you had saved the old posts. I understand you don't have it.
I will post the next 2 lines tomorrow.

Hari Om
meera

Postby meera » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:51 am

Hari Om...

Glorifying Lord Rama today...

ॐ रामचन्द्राय नमः om rämacandräya namaù
Prostrations to Lord Ramachandra

Hari Om...
meera

Postby uma » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 am

Hari Om.
Pranam to all.

Meeraji, I hope we get all our earlier posts after some time.

About mind, I had stated that saying that mind is a mirror, was a bit poetic and unless the mirror is clean, name / statue / remembering of Hanumanji will not be reflected in it properly and clearly.

Muruganji had posted a real beautiful explanation. He had stated that unless the mirror of the mind is cleaned, the God within will not be reflected. I feel this is much more appropriate. He had further stated that if the mirror is much unclean then the dust at the Guru's feet would act as detergent and clean it properly. Real apt saying.

I do not have earlier questions. Request you to post them again Meeraji.

Thanks and Regards

Uma
uma

Postby meera » Sun May 02, 2010 6:38 am

Glories to Lord Rama

ॐ राजीवलोचनाय नमः
Om Rajeevalochanaya Namah!
Prostrations to the Lotus-eyed One
meera

Postby meera » Sun May 02, 2010 9:29 am

Jai Sree Ram!

We start the first verse:

जय हनुमान ज्ञान गुण सागर
जय कपीस तिंहु लोक उजागर

jay hanuman gyaan guna saagar
jay kapees tinhu lok ujaagar

Victory to Hanuman, who is the ocean of knowledge (gyaan) and virtue (guna); Victory to Hanuman the Lord of monkeys, known in all three worlds.

The key words here are: Hanuman, kapees

The etymological meaning of ‘hanuman’ is interesting. Scriptural history versus spiritual essence. I have tried to research a bit to see what various bhaktas say. Afterall everyone wants to glorify Hanuman!
Scholars have taken a view that Hanuman means ‘manifested (in our lives) Brahman or Supreme Consciousness’. Etymologically they have explained that as:
Ha = Supreme Spirit
Nu = that which pervades
Man = manifested

Scriptural story points to another meaning. Here the word Hanu means chin, jaw. Soon after birth, baby Maruti (as he was named on birth) saw the rising sun and thought it was a fruit. (Now his ability to fly must have been inherited from his father who was Vayu Bhagawan himself…so flight must be intrinsic to being son of Vayu.)

So then thinking the sun to be a fruit, Hanuman flew towards it and worse, swallowed it. Consequently the whole world was drowned in darkness. The gods were distressed and went to Indra who then chased Hanuman and struck at the little child with his vajra (thunderbolt) and the blow lands on his chin causing it to be cut, cleaved, split. Some also reason that the wound caused the mouth region to swell, hence those special features of Hanuman with puffed mouth and cleft chin. (This in my opinion is an extension to the ‘Is he man or…?’ debates where accepting Hanuman as non-human and hence explaining away the features with reason.)

The Vajra is a deadly weapon and is known to cause sure death. But Hanuman bore the vajra –agat. This is given as another meaning for Hanuman: he who bore the vajra agat on his chin. All the same, bearing the strike, Hanuman fell to the ground unconscious.

Father Vayu was distressed on seeing his little son hurt by the gods. So he stopped the wind from blowing. The world was now dark and also stuffy. (Another bhakta scholar has suggested that the angry Vayu Bhagawan gave colic pain to all the gods! Good strategy!)

Distressed the gods pleaded mercy and the Wind God agreed to relent on one condition, “Each of you must bless my son with your powers and good qualities!” And thus guna sagara Hanuman. Which is not to say that his qualities came from the gods only. But all the gods blessed the child Maruti with powers and strengths from their own pool of powers.

To go back in time: when Bhagawan had decided to take human form and come to earth to destroy Ravana, Brahmaji had told all the gods (devatas) to follow Bhagawan to earth and support Him. While the devatas would go anyway, Shiva (On Namah Shivaya!) an ardent bhakta of Bhagawan (this is not to separate Shiva from Bhagawan but to in fact show the supreme oneness, so that Parts of the Whole are as cohesive in spirit as well; naturally when the Vishnu aspect separates itself, the other aspects will not be separated but seek to cohese with It. This is my understanding, kindly correct it if it is wrong.) wanted for Bhagawan to have the best support, flawless sevak… and thus Hanuman was born as an ansh (अंश) of Shiva hence we also address Hanuman as Sankara suvan, son of ShivShankara;

The strength of Hanuman is something we take as a given and which is how we invoke him constantly for aid in physical distress as well as mental distress. But Hanuman himself did not use his powers for himself! His portrayal by Valmiki, Tulsidas and Kamban have celebrated him as in Brahmasthiti. We never hear him satisfying his needs or wants (wonder if he had any apart from Ram seva); the only instance I have come across which can be inferred as personal fulfilment is a very sweet episode which touches the heart and brings tears to the eyes:

No problem, let us take a detour: when Hanuman reached Asokavana and identified himself to Sita ma… they had a terrific exchange of words where in (oh I had written about this in my introductory posts but Hanumanji has hidden them again.. he wants me to say it again maybe…) Ma Sita out of matru bahva addresses him as ‘suta’ - son; overwhelmed Hanuman reciprocates and addresses Her as Mata… this is in the sunderkand verse 16.

And almost immediately, like only a child who has found his mother after searching for her all over the house, can, Hanuman tells her, “Ma I am so hungry…

Hanuman: Sunahun matu, mohi atisay bhookh laagi dekhi sundar phal rookha (Oh mother, listen, seeing the trees laden with beautiful fruit, I am provoked by extreme hunger!)
Sita-ma: Sun, suta karihin bippinna rakhvari, param subhat rajnichara bhaari! (Listen son, this forest is guarded by very powerful and capable rakshasa warriors
Hanuman: tinha kar bhaya maata, mohi naahin; joun tumha such maanhu man maahi. (Oh mother, if you give me your ‘ok’ with a happy mind, then I am not frightened at all by those (rakshasas)
Sita-ma: Then go child, hold Ramchandraji’s feet close to your heart and eat the sweet fruit.

This is a very very typical child-mother response. When our child does us a huge favour, task, help, errand and we thank him/her and tell him/her how good he has been, the dialogue usually leads to child being filled with such love and belonging that the first thing he will ask for is food or an expression of hunger… it always has seemed to me the child’s psychological need or emotive expression for love, warmth, a hug a mother-child cuddle…heartbreaking…

So apart from this there is no other record (based on my utterly limited reading of the tetxs) of Hanuman asking for anything for himself. So great is his seva bhavana. As noted by Prof. K. Ramachandran Nair in Hanumat Vibhuti (CCMT publication): “The good results of his actions always go to someone else.” Tulsidasji also says similarly that Hanuman’s strength is applied in the service of others only.

If we can reflect on this and see how the world powers and powerful individuals all use their might and wealth for self glorification, statues of themselves, and/or for self protection (black cats at micro level, nuclear power at macro level) and destroying others (as being done by terrorists).

Apart from his physical prowess, Hanumanji applied his gyaan and guna for his Master. Hanuman is known as best among all learned ones. And his dasya bahava (service attitude), his devotion, his egloessness, his complete humility all these mark him as especial. Even in the face of a Ravana , Hanuman’s words to him were kind,

binati karaun jori kar raavan,
sunahu maan taji mor sikhavan
!”

(“I implore you you with joined palms, Ravana, give up your haughtiness and listen to my words”)

Guruji says “The greatest knowledge is Self Knowledge and Hanuman has that too.” We see this reflected when Hanuman tells Rama his master:

deha drshtaya tu daasoham;
Jeevadrshtaya tvadamshakah
Aatma buddhayah tvamevaham iti me nischita matih!

When identified with the body, I am your servant; and when I function as the jiva-ego, I am a part of you. From the standpoint of the soul, aatma, you and I are One. Of this I am of firm opinion!

Such a gnyaani was void of ego, ahamkar, I-ness, and all that.

This is why Tulsidas refers to him as Kapeesa or King of monkeys. (Kapi (monkey)+ Eeshah (Lord);

He saved his master Sugreeva and restored his kingdom back from Bali; Later we also see Hanuman trying to drill wisdom into Ravana and even later guiding Vibhishana towards saranagati and then as King of Lanka. Thus he is the one who rules not just a physical geography, but the hearts of all those who choose to be guided by him.

And so great is his prowess, goodness, compassion, firmness, devotion, capability, dependability that he is known in all 3 worlds. Tinhu lok = 3 worlds; ujagar= spread of lumninosity (of his greatness)

Prostrations to such a wise, great devotee. May his grace ever be available to us.
meera

Postby murugans61 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 pm

Hari Om Meeraji, Thank you for the excellent write up on the first doha.
Hanumanji is refered as Gyaan ,Gunasaagar, Combination of Knowledge and Character, indicating that knowledge alone is not sufficient, chararter is equally important. True sucess can come only when there is knowledge, supported or complemented by noble qualities and virtues of mind.
Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 am

Hari Om. Pranams.

Pujay Guruji also says -

* Crowned king is an appointed head of the state. But real Lordship is an uncrowned king who is worshipped and respected by all. Such a king is Sri Hanuman. He is Kapishah (kapi means monkey and ishah, Lord).

* The word kapi also stands for one who drinks the joy of Brahman, which is the true happiness. (ka – joy (sukham) and pi (pipate) – one who drinks). The Chandogya Upanishad says, ‘That which is infinite, that alone is happiness’. That which is finite is not happiness. So one who knows this and revels in the joy of Brahman is a kapi. Sri Hanuman is not an ordinary monkey and none should insult him by calling him a monkey-God. He is in the form of a monkey, but he is a brahmajnanin, one who has supreme knowledge.
Padmaja

Postby meera » Mon May 03, 2010 6:27 am

Hari Om!
Pranaam, Muruganji and Padmaja...

Such deep thoughts and worship lies in your words. You are so very very right. What use is knowledge without the backing of character? Are we not seeing such a tremendous lot of that in the world today? Yet, just character is often enough even if knowledge is limited. All the financial scams that have boomed in recent times are endorsements for complete lack of character.

I would add that when knowledge is pure (sattvik) and complete, character has to be there, because without character knowledge cannot stick to you. I feel character has to be one of the underlying substratums for gnyanam to accrue. Hence I feel Hanumanji's brahmajnani padvi (पदवी) is born out of his purity and devotion, character.

In fact we can even infer a terrific meeting of the Body Mind and Intellect as converging in purpose, when we see that if the body is totally applied to the service of the Lord (therefore karma yoga) then Character (in the mind) (hence Bhakti) is a given and Knowledge (via the Intellect) (hence Gnyaanam) follows or is open to the seeker. Hanuman exemplifies just this: his whole life, his entire body was dedicated to Ram seva, Ram bhakti and Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram...incomparable, incomprehensible!

The Dhyana Shloka of the Ramayan is apt:
बुद्धिर्बलं यशोधैर्यम निर्भयत्वं अरोगत
अजान्गयम वाकपदुत्वं हनुमत स्मरणात भवेत्

Buddhirbalam yashodhairyam nirbhayatvam arogata
ajangayam vaakpadutvam hanumat smaranaat bhavet

If one worships Hanuman, one will beblessed with intelligence, strength, fame, coyrage, absence of fear, good health, alertness and power of eloquence

(sorry for spelling errors, not good with using the sanskrit/hindi fonts)

All glories to Hanuman.

Men of science have tried to research the reference to Hanuman as a monkey. But the counter statements from men of spirituality is undeniable. Science states only that which the 5 senses can perceive. Its knowledge unfortunately is limited by its own means of research. But spirituality goes beyond and 'knows' beyond these means. I will not hesitate to add that attributes to animals (ferocious like a tiger, lazy donkey, monkey,) are all vikaras of a human mind, attributes given by man probably to uplift his own status as Great Human! (I can show you how good I am only by pushing you down...)

We must see the animals as-is, as Bhagavan created them! Which is why books like Animal Farm, Winnie-the Pooh are all extraordinarily endearing because we get a glimpse of animals as Bhagawan intended them to be: lovable.

Quoting: "There were several categories of human race in ancient India. Kinnara was one such race. Kinnara = Kim+Nara = if translated = 'an apology for man'. Similarly the word Vanara ie Van + Nara if translated will mean 'or a man' ie: a man more advanced than Kim + Nara. That is to say, where Kinnara ever remained an apology for man, Vanara came nearer to the most civilised race among men. The Dravidians though different in color and stature (physical features) did not lag behind in intellectual capacity or erudition. ......" (I would take the last sentence to also mean that physical features are just that: physical features. Intelligence is a function of a lot more... If we ever get to see higher forms of evolution, we will encounter intelligence higher than a human's!
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon May 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Hari Om to all family members,

Hanuman Chalisa - By Swami Tejomayananda

Living in this world, it is almost impossible for any individual to lead a life that is above
criticism – just or unjust. If we study the great epic, Ramayana, we find that even Lord
Rama and Mother Sita could not escape criticism, though unjust, from their own subjects. The only person in Ramayana who succeeded in accomplishing this difficult task is Sri Hanuman – the greatest devotee of the Lord. We do not find a single incident wherein Sri Hanuman has made any mistake and got blamed for it. He is the very embodiment of wisdom, devotion and service. This noble son of Wind God (Vayu) has innumerable virtues.

We all very easily recognize the importance and the service of sun because it is not
available in the night. But the wind remains with us all the 24 hours of the days, serving all beings without any desire for recognition and appreciation for its service. Thus we take its existence for granted, without paying much respect and attention to it. Sri Hanuman has imbibed from his father, Wind God this rare and noble virtue of serving all without a trace of pride in his heart. He crossed the ocean, entered the formidable Lanka and burnt it. He discovered Mother Sita, killed the demonic forces of Ravana. He served Lord Rama in such numerous ways that the Lord Himself felt overwhelmed with extreme love and gratitude for Sri Hanuman and He gave expression to His feelings as well. But on hearing his own praise, Sri Hanuman, the true devotee of the Lord, fell at His feet with tears in his eyes, giving all credit for his achievements to Lord Rama alone. What a noble and inspiring ideal of service with utmost humility!

..continued..
vanajaravinair

Postby vanajaravinair » Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Generally we are advised that we should imbibe from Sri Hanuman’s character, this rare quality of serving our master with unswerving faith and devotion. But little do we realize that before doing so, it is of extreme importance to know who should really be our Master. He who is the Lord of the total universe and in serving whom our potential
divinity comes to shine forth; He alone can be our true Master. This truth is seen
revealed in the life of Sri Hanuman. Before meeting Lord Rama he was serving Sugriva
but his powers remained dormant at the time and Sugriva was not able to bring them out as Lord Rama did by His sheer grace. We see that Sugriva himself was fraught with mortal fear of death at the hands of his own brother Vali, and was dependent on Sri Hanuman for his own protection. How could such a person ever be anyone’s true Master? On the other hand when Sri Hanuman saw Lord Rama for the very first time he recognized his Master immediately and, thereafter, not only himself became His loyal and devoted servant but also made Sugriva follow his example. As soon as Sugriva surrendered himself to the lotus feet of Lord Rama, he received the fruit of his devotion. In Lanka also, the she-demon Lankini and Vibhishana were serving Ravana, the mighty but atrocious king. They were under the same notion that they should serve their Master, whoever he may be. It is only Sri Hanuman who made them realize their mistake. After recognizing this, they both became devotees of Lord Rama.
Thus, we see that neither a weakling like Sugriva nor a mighty person like Ravana can
ever be a true Master. Lord Rama alone can be that Master who is great, not because He keeps all beings under His control like Ravana but because He makes His devotees greater than Himself!

May we all come to recognize Lord Rama as our Master and serve Him in the attitude of
His great devotee Sri Hanuman? May we ever revel in singing the holy name of the Lord
– Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram!

Pranams to all.
vanajaravinair

Postby meera » Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Hari Om Vanaja-ji,

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful glorification of Lord Rama and Bhakta Hanuman. How true your observation that Hanuman was beyond fault... and that is because he was so single pointed in his devotion. If allw e do is for Bhagavan, truly our work too will be faultless! Thank you very much for sharing this.

Glorification of Shree Rama for today:

ॐ श्रीमते नमः
Om Shreemate Namah!

Prostrations to the One who is Most respectable
meera

Postby meera » Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 am

Glorifying Lord Rama....

ॐ राजेन्द्राय नमः
Om Rajendraya Namah!

Prostrations to the Lord of the Senses (Rajya+ Indra)

Starting today, our mananam be dedicated for the speedy recovery and joy of Pujya Guruji...
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 am

Hari Om

"Monkeys represent thoughts, the similarity being that both are restless (chanchala) and unsteady, (asthira). Of all thoughts, the very minister of Su-greeva (sushtuh greevam - well reined), now in his exile, was Hanuman, extremely erudite and scholarly. Yet, this thought-personality cannot bring out its potential might and beauty, albeit serving as the minister to "Self-control", Knowledge and erudition, with moral restraint and physical control,is the highest from the standpoint of material education, and according to the systems of worldly education. Yet Valmiki demonstrates that all the potentialities inherent can blossom forth only when that knowledge bows down to Rama, the Spiritual Essence. From the moment Anjaneya meets with Rama, Ramayana distinctly reveals a mysterious unfoldment of great powers, an explosion of inconceivable merits and beauties in that apparently ridiculous and seemingly insignificant form of a monkey. Such an explosion we watch all down history, demonstrated in a carpenter's son becoming Jesus, or an equally empty Prince Siddhartha rising to the status of a Buddha, or an insignificant student of Calcutta University, Narendra, hatching himself out to become the gracious and dynamic Vivekananda.

However wise and intelligent we may be, even when that wise man has character and self-control, it is not all. Only when these thoughts move, in utter devotion and total loyalty towards "that which revels in everything" (Rana), that all the inherent potentialities divine can get a chance to blossom forth. Thereafter, as the loyal servant of Sri Rama, the personality of Hanuman unfolds its infinite strength and endless beauty, for all generations to watch, and yet in himself he remains outwardly a "va-nara" and inwardly a steady and total devotee. Centred in Rama, he acted. For Rama, he achieved, Rama's glory was his only glory. There stands now the puny monkey, larger than life: greater than the greatest, the eternal devotee, his strength, his wisdom, his love and his all, dedicated totally to Rama. Thereafter we deter the Supreme expressing through this insignificant-looking monkey, making us all wonder, "Is it a man (Va-nara)?" or "Is it a God (Va-deva)?" - Swami Chinmayananda
vanajaravinair

Postby murugans61 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Hari Om Vanaja ji
Thank you for highlighting the power of the spiritual essence. Like Jesus, Siddhartha Buddha and Vivekananda, a normal barristor in the form of Mohandas Karamchand rised to the level of Mahatma Gandhiji and gained the power to fight the mighty British through the Atma bhalam, the inner spiritual strength.
Pranams
murugans61

Postby Padmaja » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Hari Om. Pranams Meeraji, Umaji, Muruganji and Vanajaji....samasta bhakta mandali ki Jai !

I don't know whether it is Va-nara or Va-deva. I don't know anything ! :-) All I know is reading what you all write makes me feel 'Wah Wah Wah' (wonderful -wonderful-wonderful) !!! Shri Ram is "Ananda". Whenever I see picture of Shri Hanuman singing in joy I feel He is revelling in "Shri Ram"..going Wah Wah Wah.. Shri Ram in streams, Shri Ram in valleys, Shri Ram in lush green grass, Shri Ram in clear blue sky, Shri Ram in chirping of birds...Shri Ram in everything ...Shri Ram is everything

My prostrations to everybody..and Jai Shri Ram !
Padmaja

Postby meera » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Hari Om!

Greetings to all bhaktas...
Surely Hanuman ji must be joyous! Everyone has made such beautiful comments..
Jai Hanuman!

Glory to Lord Rama...

for today...

ॐ रघुपुन्गवाय नमः
Om Raghupungavaya Namah
Salutations to the scion of the Raghu Dynasty

meera

Postby meera » Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Hari om!

नाहिंन आवत आन भरोसो.
यहि कलिकाल सकल साधनतरु है स्रम फलनि फरो सो. [1]
(Other than Lord Rama's name) I do not have faith in any other (sadhana). In this Kaliyuga on the trees of sadhana there are fruits of only hard-work / effort i.e. by being engaged in sadhana only effort is got as a result, there is no other fruit as such. [1]

From Vinaya Patrika
meera

Postby meera » Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 am

Hari Om!
Pranaam and greeetings to you all.

Recall I had posted a preamble to the Chalisa and then we lost 35 posts...today I found a copy of the preamble in my laptop! Jai Hanuman! Am very happy that I found it. Kindly allow me to paste that here...
-----------------------------------------

In today’s post we will understand some words:
Chalisa – forty verses using the chaupai style of poetic meter.
A chaupai is what quatrain is in english
A quatrain is a verse with 4 lines. The hindi quatrain is one that uses a meter of 4 syllables. Very common in hindi poetry and a favourite with Tulsidasji.
Now let us understand Hanumanji a little. Why was Hanumanji such a bhakta of Rama?
I am writing what I know and some out of my feeling based interpretation. You must correct me if you feel the need to.

We will go a little back in time.

Ravana was wreaking havoc on mankind. He had a boon granted to him that made it impossible for any creature to destroy him. When he listed out all the creatures, he either forgot to add or thought man and monkey were too lowly to even touch him.
When his sins became unbearable, the devas went to Lord Vishnu and asked for help, a remedy. Vishnu Bhagawan thought about it and realising that Ravana had left out man and monkey, He decided to come as human form to destroy Ravana. Lord Brahma then told the other devatas to go along and support Vishnu Bhagavan in this project.
Here I refer to the Kamba Ramayan (which has some heart wrenching interpretations): The devas either chose the vanara avatar because that was the other option which Ravana had left out; OR... this is what Kamba Ramayan says so sweetly: they did not want to be a human in the face of Vishnu’s nara avatar (how can another human match Him?) So they wanted to be less than nara, less than a man, so they chose to be monkeys...and coincidentally this option was open thanks to Ravana’s forgetting.
So Indra went as Bali, Surya Bhagawan went as Sugriva, Brihaspati as Tara...and so on.
But Hanuman? Who is he?
Here I apply my interpretation. Lord Shiva is the all time great Bhakta of Vishnu as Rama. When you read the Tulsi Ramayan, Shiva actually is the sutradhar in places...And we know Rama in turn was a great Shiva Bhakta....Now when Shiva heard that Bhagawan was taking human form He must have sworn to be where His Lord was. It is said Hanuman is an ansh (part) of Shiva. This is explained by 2 different stories in the scriptures:

a. Anjana devi had a curse on her that made her have the form of a monkey. (This has many more layers leading back into her earlier life, but we won’t get into that). The curse would be removed only if she would give birth to an incarnation of Shiva.

b. (Read this along with Shiva’s desire to serve Vishnu in the Ramavatar): When Dashrathji was performing the putra kameshti havan, a bowl of payasam was given by Agni dev from the havan, which was to be shared by the queens. Kamban says, that was when an eagle flew down from the skies and swiped a small part of the payasam and dropped it where Anjanadevi and Pavana (the wind God, her husband) were praying for a son. Thus Hanuman.

Switch to Hanuman as child. He was extremely intelligent, brave and phenomenally mischievous. (There is one interpretation whose source I don’t know, hence am not stating it, but it seems Hanuman was a concept of 3-4 gods who want to be a part of him so as to serve Lord Rama...that is how Hanumanji has so many diverse powers and capabilities.)

As child he once troubled and teased some rishis who finally unable to deal with him, cursed him that he will forget all his powers. Here I take the support of Kamban’s Ramayan again: Some negotiations later, Hanumanji was told that he would get his powers back when he would sight the Lord Rama.

(Here I am unsure whether he wd get his power back once he saw the Lord, or everytime he saw the Lord, which means away from the Lord he will forget his powers again...

I raise this doubt because I feel we chant the Chalisa which glorifies Hanumanji’s powers as a way to remind him of his powers and then we say, look this is how powerful you are, if you could do all this, my problems are nothing, so pls help me...and thus we remind Hanumanji of his powers so that he can act upon our problems. He needs to be reminded I feel.... I leave this to you to ponder on and I hope some acharya will help us gain clarity.)

Back to little Hanuman, when he was told so, he asked, ‘But how will I know that it is the Lord I am seeing? How will I recognise him?’ To that (i think it was his father who told him) he was told, you will feel such a surge of love and happiness, tears will flow from your eyes and you will know that it is the Lord you see...

Hanumanji served in Kishkinda, Sugriva the King of vanaras. And he had to help Sugriv meet King Rama who could help him fight Bali who had unjustly taken away Sugriv’s kingdom. They were sitting atop a tree, hiding from Bali, when they see in the dense forest, 2 brahmanas coming towards them....

Thus came the famous words spoken by Hanuman on seeing the 2 brahmanas who were Rama and Lakshmana in garb...” Kee tumh teeni dev manh kou| Nar Narayan kee tum dou” (RCM: Kishkindakand: 2)

In the line before this Hanuman ji has described how beautiful and charming these 2 were looking, so divine and so enchanting...and why in the forest? And he now asks them, “Are you either Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva? (any of the 3 greats); or are you both Nar and Narayan?”

And when Ram and Lakshman give their identities Hanumanji is so overwhelmed.... he grips the Lord’s feet and does a sashtaang dandavat pranaam...Lord Shiva describes this as the most beautiful scene, to Parvatiji!
Hanumanji had recognised Bhagawan. His powers were flooding back to him... and these very powers he uses to find Sita ma.

Now today’s glory to Rama:

When Rama had explained to Hanumanji (in the guise of a Brahmin) who he and Lakshman were, he in turn asked: I have told you who we are, pls tell me who you are...

At this Hanumanji breaksdown and says: I am layered with Maya, I am ignorant, I am dull... but you are Bhagawan? How come then you ask like this? Like a human?
Or have you forgotten me, your devotee?”

Ramji says: Don’t feel bad... For me a devotee is most precious because he goes to no one but Me. And my devotee is one who never forgets that he is the servant and the world around him is God’s form (Bhagawan ka roop).
---------------

Hari Om!
Thank you for your patience...
meera

Postby vanajaravinair » Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 am

Hari Om

In Adhyatma Ramayanam by Ezhuthachan written in Malayalam language,- it is said that it is Jambavaan that reminded Hanumanji about his “Hidden Potentials” just before crossing the ocean in search of Sita Devi. Hanumanji was unaware of his strength and Jambavaan motivated him and also assured him that Sri Ramji has given the Ring on which His name is engraved to Hanumanji personally, because He chose Hanumanji for this task.

Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu are good friends. When one takes birth, the other wants to serve him. Lord Shiva thought, ‘I wish to serve Lord Vishnu when he comes as Lord Rama. If I come as a member of his family, he may hesitate to take service from me and may want to serve me back. But if I come in a lower (monkey) form there will be no such problem!’ Thinking thus, he placed his tejas in Sri Hanuman to serve Lord Rama. Therefore, Sri Hanuman is called as son of Lord Shiva (sankara suvana) and also known as an incarnation of Lord Shiva (rudra-avatarah).

1. I think Tulsidasji’s description of Hanumaji as “Kapeesa” has greater philosophical connotation. Human mind is always compared to that of a monkey because both are having similar characteristics. Hanuman is that man who has conquered the “Vanaratwam i.e. Chapala-swabhavam” in him and therefore “Kapeesa” can easily be understood as “the one who gained control over his senses”.

2. Brahmaji has given a boon the Ravana that no deva, asura, gandharva, charana, kinnara etc., etc. will be able to kill him which means only a man or animal can kill him. In Adhyatma Ramanam, Brahmaji asks the devas to be borne as Monkeys and wait for the Incarnation of the Lord as Ram. Ram wins a great war with the help of 'monkeys' (mind having vanaratwam).

The symbolism is that "a man who can gain control over his senses which run helter-shelter after material comforts and remain restless always and looses his natural dynamism, becomes capable of winning the war against daily problems he faces in life, provided "he is able to give sense of direction to the mind".

Thousands and lakhs of vanaraas may be the numerous thoughts that come and go through our own minds, and if this mind is disciplined and used for serving God ("Rama-kaaryaartham"), we can easily master our own mind. i.e., while doing every action, having full faith that we are just the instruments of the Lord and it is He who works through us always. When the 'chanchalatwam' of the mind is disciplined and used for attaining higher goal, with a 'seva-bhava' (whatever I am doing, is done by Him for Him through this body-mind-intellect illumined by Him), then the result is fulfilment.
vanajaravinair

Next

Return to Mananam On Texts or Slokas