Reflections about Language

This forum is for queries and related discussions with respect to the Sanskrit Webinar Class conducted by Dr Varun.

Postby VarunKhanna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Dear Sanskrit Webinarians!

Hari Om!

Use this thread to post your reflections about language from the questions that I have had you think about so far. What are your insights? What are your thoughts? What have you discovered about your language, and what have you discovered about Sanskrit? From the simplest to the most elaborate revelations you have had, please post them here. I would love to read some of your thoughts!

With love,

Varun
VarunKhanna

Re: Reflections about Language

Postby chandran » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Is it okay if I use malayalam script which can copy almost all words till I get proficiency in devanagiri script./? Imeanphonetixwise
chandran

Postby Vasishta » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Dear Chandran,
If you wish to read Malayalam then practice writing in Malayalam script. If you wish to read and write Devanagari, then practice it relentlessly from the very beginning. Practice makes perfect.... Ester
Vasishta

Postby Vasishta » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Dear Varun-ji,

Somehow language speakers can hold the formulas of their language in their head and apply them to the language subunits whenever they speak. Of the many languages I know some have more elaborate systems and some are simple in their approach. IE family of languages and Semitic languages are very sophisticated. I love the matrix - like tables of conjugations and the chemistry like formulas of Sandhi. It is hard to believe that Samskrt has not changed over the centuries. Usually if a language does not change, it cannot survive because it has to reflect the changing needs of the society. I have studied Akadian which is extinct and it has phases like early, middle and late. And then it disappeared. By the way every language is just a small window to a vast reality.

Love to all language lovers, Ester
Vasishta

Postby viduram » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello Varunji,
4th week class was very interesting.
Regarding reflections about language. Just putting across my reflections: I presume most of our Indian language have our sanskrit script sounds. Exceptions like my mother tongue ,Tamil wherein don't have any discrimination of Ka, Kha there is only one ka similarly for cha, sha, ta etc. So it takes time for me to understand the different sound syllable in sanskrit. To be frank bothक and ख I pronounce almost same way as I don't know how to differentiate except putting some emphasis on the second one. But our language do have one exceptional sound yzha which is not there in many language.
Regarding sentence formation the way you told in 4th week class is amazing as even if you juggle the verb, noun etc it will mean the same. I don't know whether such thing is possible in other languages.
Thanks
Vidya
viduram

Postby upadhsu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Hari Om Varunji, class of week 4 was very interesting and my interest in learning Sanskrit is doubling in every class and thank you much for teaching in such a passion way. I noticed that my mathru bhasha Telugu is similar to Sanskrit
in sentence formation. The meaning does not change by the position of subject, object and verb.
/Sujatha Upadhyayula
upadhsu

Postby sivam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

Dear Varunji
Yes your class is amazing and makes us await Sundays even more passionately.
I am still struggling with recognising the scripts accurately but the course materials and links you have provided are most relevant and useful. I am getting there with practice.....un jour....
As for reflections: yes Sanskrit does seem a powerful liberator in its exactitude of phonetics and sounds....making me wish i had embraced it years and years ago. There is an elegance about Sanskrit despite the untidy way it seems written reflective of the reality that in life the substance matters. The logic and grace are nonetheless compelling.
I am at that age where I am seeking....n Sanskrit does seem to draw me closer....i even bought a huge stature of Shiva with the damaru....so getting into that "a i u n" mode.....to get real with "ha l". loving every moment of it.
I cannot wait to be in Varanasi doing that Sanskrit course in Ramayan as you have done.
Thank you so much.
Siva
sivam

Postby Dws1008 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Hari Om, Have noticed that I'm more at ease reading my mother tongue (Gujarati), since reciting the Sanskit alphabet.
Dws1008

Postby szn » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:40 am

Pāṇini – what a stunningly brilliant mind! Pāṇini did not invent the Sanskrit language he listened to people talking. Then he devised a method whereby he could systematize the language in a concise format. He knew the end result, such as bhavati. He compiled a dhātupatha, a list of ‘raw’ basic or root words termed dhātus, verbs in English, and then set about devising a means whereby the language is built up. He has devised approx. 4000 sūtras and not repeated himself once. These sutras are used to change the basic dhātu into meaningful words. eg bhū, become, into bhavati, he becomes, etc.

There are other aids to keep the language pure, to keep all the subtleties of the meanings in scriptures, vedas, upanisads, from changing and becoming distorted, such as metre and number of syllables per section.

Studying Sanskrit is another form of worship and spiritual growth. It is all so wonderous, joyful, delightful and challenging.

Love and blessings to all.
szan
szn

Postby sivam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:35 am

Dear All and salutations to Varun-Ji
The side chats in the discussion forum are truly enlightening too.....the very real effect of the chat between Ianr and the teacher is in itself yet another lesson in Sanskrit living......I really must congratulate Ianr's honest passion and Varun-ji's nurturing patience.....
As for the language, its logic is its sheer brilliance! And it is so compelling and as Ianr inimated, it draws you away from work and family and other priorities.....
I confess that though i started my first sanskrit lesson here with Varun-Ji as a total novice on 5th Feb, i realised by Lesson 2 that he was expecting so much more of us....So i started "two-timing" and following several Sanskrit lessons and notes on U-tube and all.....But the drive and passion came from the vision of this Varun-ji's course.
So yes I listen to Varun-ji in class and sometimes the Click-seems-a-coming....but then it blurs .....n then I go back to re-visit his lectures and digest them in tranquility......n with a "Singaporean" mindset I assume the student's role to fill the gaps through research.....reading and satsangs....Awaiting that WOW moment as the linkages and tricks get clearer ith each passing week.
Thank you all for sharing your concerns and passion too.....
Hail to Sanskrit....and our Teacher.
sivam

Postby Genama » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I have heard two sides of the story when it comes to the French and the French language. Ive heard that they will appreciate it when you attempt to speak their languages, but Ive also heard that they will look down at you if you speak it incorrectly... which is true or are they both?
Genama

Postby krithikagokul » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Dear Varunji,
I am thoroughly enjoying the course and it is already giving me a lot of ideas about how i could try and use Panini Sutras for Bioinformatics and Genome research. I infact thought i could share two of my paintings, Aham Brahmasmi and Anaadhi...
Anaadhi describes the week 4 example of how endless our horizons are.. be it astronomically oriented or atomically...

With Sanskrit, I am just amazed about how true the essence of the language is. We get quite insightful and if we are already interested in the splitting and putting together, its all the more un-put-downable... ;)
Looking forward to the next week already.
krithikagokul

Postby ianr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 am

Dear Participants

Has anyone any idea how our unwashed verb roots came to have the appendages/ remnants/ extra sounds that we have learned to remove. So yes, we have learned how to remove them but not why they are/were there in the first place. Just thinking about this until we hear from Varun again.

All the best

Ian

P.S. What Varun has told us so far:
Similarly, the verbal roots on their own don't have any direction, they don't know which pratyayas to attach to, they don't know how to attach, etc. The it-saṁjñā letters, or the letters with the it-flag on them will tell us where to go. They are like the car that will take the dhātu to its final destination -- a word that we can actually speak. You'll see as we go on how these it-saṁjñā letters help us.
ianr

Postby punita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Dear Ian,
I don’t quite know the answer to your question but wanted to highlight a few things that Varunji has shared over the course of this webinar that may provide some pointers. Sorry, it’s a rather long post!

1. Please see below a portion from his excellent write up called “Why Sanskrit?” It alludes to the origin of Sanskrit/dhatus - more of a how than a why of the Sanskrit roots.

“According to Sanskrit lore, in their seat of deep meditation, the Ṛṣis, or the people responsible for developing Sanskrit, came to experience the universe as a giant set of vibrations. These vibrations were, for them, experienced in the form of sound. They documented the sounds they heard, constantly pulsating in and through each object of their experience, and derived from them the roots of what we now know as Sanskrit. The language that evolved from these roots was just, according to them, a recreation of the sounds they heard in their meditation: the perpetual throb of the vibrating universe itself.”

2. He also mentioned in one of the lectures that ॐ is the substratum of all vibrations. ॐ sounds like A…U…M… (अ ...उ.....म.....) - sort of encapsulates the entire spectrum of sounds/vibrations/Aksharas one can produce between throat (कण्ठः) and lips (ओष्ठः) See his comments below for further pointers:

“Keep meditating on them, and these things will reveal themselves to you. You can then speak from your own experience. All the ऋषिs came to these same conclusions independently, just by meditating on the deeper aspects of life. I hope these realizations come to all of us in due time, too!”

3. He’s been giving pointers in the lectures that Sanskrit is an ‘experiential’ language and we too are capable of experiencing it in due time as we meditate on where the language is taking us! As he says ‘...learning Sanskrit is not just about learning Sanskrit.’

I have had a small taste of the power of this language when I stumbled upon the Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit a few years ago during an unusually tough phase in my life. I then experienced that the teachings started to unravel at a very personal level even though my Sanskrit knowledge was limited at best! Before this, I had tried but never succeeded in going past the Foreword of the English translations of the Gita! So, not sure if it was the timing or the language or a combination of the two that the Gita suddenly became very up close & personal and continues to be so!

4. And last but not the least, I’d highly encourage you and others to check out Samskrita Bharati -- www.samskritabharati.in or http://www.samskritabharatiusa.org/

This organization conducts a 10-day free course on spoken Sanskrit in many places around the world. I just attended one in Bengaluru and would vouch for the efficacy of its methodology and the enthusiasm that its teachers, organizers, and even students bring towards Sanskrit. For me it was a double treat as I could combine Varunji’s focus on grammar and this course’s focus on the spoken aspect of Sanskrit. Of course, I still have miles to go but have taken the first few baby steps for sure.

May our Sanskrit journey continue to take us to places yet unknown…

Punita
punita

Postby Dws1008 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 am

Om,

@ Punita ji & Ianr

Re - Eeth samnja, the dhatu washing process

Wondering if a key was in week 5, in the prayatna (effort) chart & types of svar; which apparently are referred to figure out possibilities that can work. One example given was ह + च ; ह can be replaced by य.
Dws1008

Postby Aaronaxoli » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 am

olajideolaolorun
recentlly ,i have too many things to do and couldnot test the language pack
maybe tonight i will test the pack again to see is there any bug with my trans..
and the question u have asked
i did edit the line 65 ,change "English" to "chinesegb2312" beacuse i think thats a part of traslation which need to do .

and something i have told u in the PM
chinese language have two code versions, one is gb2312, the other is big5
I suggest you try this gold trading system for successful trading
Aaronaxoli

Postby quodisuada » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 am

Hmmm...so I will take the lack of any comment on this as a bad sign I guess I will go back to my more usual style, which seems to be received better?
quodisuada

Postby Marieassen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am

It mentions something about sending the file in a zipped format. Did you send it that way?
Attachments
30.gif
30.gif (1.75 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Marieassen

Return to Sanskrit Webinar